• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus has 3.2m UK subscribers, wide-ranging Ofcom study reveals

yurinka

Source: https://www.eurogamer.net/playstation-plus-has-32m-uk-subscribers-wide-ranging-ofcom-study-reveals

Anything surprising to you?

Not sure if the xbox numbers are exclusive or inclusive.
At worldwide scale Plus has the double of subs of GP, so even if the percentage in UK can be diffferent the numbers feel pretty wrong.

I assume the survey had a weak methodology, I'd expect not a 2X difference but something somewhat closer.

Ampere numbers are routinely used by places like GI.Biz, whose reporting is taken as gospel on this forum.

The first half of the EG article is Ofcom surveys, the second half is there they're quoting the Ampere research numbers, which is where the PS+ and GP stats come from.

They're as real as NPD's reporting.
NPD gets retail sales data from retailers and publishers. Regarding the amount of game subscribers of each subscription, Ampere has the same publich worldwide number than us (for Plus or GP, MS doesn't share Gold numbers).

All Ampere can do for UK is an estimation or a survey.

Last edited:

Vognerful

They are coming for the throne.
New Year Boss GIF by Xbox

Three

I am surprised with 2.6m gamepass users. I though xbox live gold would have more users, and gamepass would have like 1m.

Guess most UK users prefer gamepass, or they don't like subscription service at all, as ps+ was 3.2m.
Gamepass is PC+xbox. Pc doesn't have live gold subscribers. They tried that but it failed.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
NPD gets retail sales data from retailers and publishers. Regarding the amount of game subscribers of each subscription, Ampere has the same publich worldwide number than us (for Plus or GP, MS doesn't share Gold numbers).

All Ampere can do for UK is an estimation or a survey.

Yeah, but unlike say VGChartz, Ampere's research is widely accepted as a lot more credible, hence GI.Biz keeps using them again, and again, and again and again, as far back as 2020 and before.

So, it's safe to say they're credible, more credible than many other sources at least.

NPD, meanwhile, also doesn't report a lot of digital sales either. So they're not exactly 100% accurate either.

Last edited:

yurinka

Yeah, but unlike say VGChartz, Ampere's research is widely accepted as a lot more credible, hence GI.Biz keeps using them again, and again, and again and again, as far back as 2020 and before.

So, it's safe to say they're credible, more credible than many other sources at least.
Yes, VGChartz numbers are totally fake, only fan guess numbers. Ampere is a professional analyst company who can be more or less accurate depending on the estimation they make, but at least are legit professionals.

Topher

Gold Member

kingfey

Banned
So 10% of the world's GP subscribers are in the UK? That is a bit surprising. I would have thought Gold would have more subscribers than GP. If that is true worldwide then there are fewer Gold subscribers than GP? Yeah....I'm surprised.
US and latin America would have more, considering Xbox 1st party is popular in those regions.
Plus US kids buy these online subscription cards like candy.

Xbox live gold would still have more users than gamepass. Unless those kids move to gamepass.

So 10% of the world's GP subscribers are in the UK? That is a bit surprising. I would have thought Gold would have more subscribers than GP. If that is true worldwide then there are fewer Gold subscribers than GP? Yeah....I'm surprised.
According to Ampere (or was it a different firm?), 25m Gamepass subscribers, 16m XLG subscribers.

Top Bottom