• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Physical - Ratchet & Clank Rift in game prices

This thread is to show case why people should still buy physical games when ever possible, demonstrated with Ratched and Clank - Rift Apart.
Please post the best deal for physical version you can find in your country.

Sweden:
LlSkdft.png

Digital at Sony store:
dAMXKSd.png

Physical:
1hSnBOH.png

849 - 598 = 251 reasons to buy physical.
30% lower price on physical version of the game.
(Also free shipping on the physical versions i listed)

Last edited:

Duchess

I mentioned it in another thread, but right now R+C is the top selling game on Amazon UK, and has been for a while now. That, despite it costing £70.

(it's at #7 in the chart, but the other items are controllers and digital vouchers)

Kupfer

But then I have to get up when I want to play another game, get sweaty and then the controller slips out of my sausage fingers.
Joking aside, after 4 games the surcharge of the 100 € disc edition was already worth it financially, besides it's cool to have something in your hand when you already spend a lot of money on actual games and not just the license to play it for some years. If sony closes the store in 20 years, I can install a finished game (not cyberpunk for example, my sealed CE is worthless in terms of offline playability) at any time and play it again.

For me the convenience and ease of digital is worth whatever they charge. I do not care about reselling at all. Time is the most important thing to me and digital gets me games right when I want them.
The price is not the only reason for choosing physical.
This is my futile attempt to resist digital walled gardens.

I don't resell, I give my finished games to friends and family(who wouldn't otherwise play them).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yep, the PS Store prices are absolutely fucking ludicrous here in Sweden now. They were bad last gen too, but now they're just shameless.

A digital copy IMO has inherently lower value than physical. It costs less to produce and distribute (basically nothing), it can't be lent to a friend or resold, etc. So it should be cheaper, but instead it's SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive. It's so stupid.

Sony (and others) clearly want us to transition to digital, but with these prices they can fuck right off with that. I'm not paying such a premium for the small convenience of not having to get up and change discs.

Last edited:

Melchiah

Preorder prices are often lower before official game release.

Never before here in Finland, or at least in that store. All the other current and past gen games remained at the same price immediately after the release day. I wager the pre-launch price for Returnal was either a mistake, or testing waters with a local game.

The price is not the only reason for choosing physical.
This is my futile attempt to resist digital walled gardens.

I don't resell, I give my finished games to friends and family(who wouldn't otherwise play them).

With Digital games you can gameshare and play the games at the same time with your friends or family members via Coop or online Multiplayer.

849 kr, fucking insane 😂

Unfortunately I don’t want the hassle of physical copies, but I never buy day 1 anyway so the price matters less when it’s 50+% off.

xrnzaaas

In my country the physical version is only slightly less expensive than the digital one - about 69€ instead of digital's 75€. It'll probably improve soon though, because already some of the stores are selling PS5 bundles with this game.

Last edited:
849 kr, fucking insane 😂

Unfortunately I don’t want the hassle of physical copies, but I never buy day 1 anyway so the price matters less when it’s 50+% off.
(849kr converted to USD is ~100$)

6 months later -13%
dxzQnPB.png

Amazon.de (additional -20% if you buy 2 games) :
9MhV3Uj.png

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned
People who scream about physical games, remember not everyone has the store, or the ability to get those physical games.

Digital makes it easier for them. While physical becomes hard to find (I have yet to find those persona discs from my gamestop. Its mostly western games here).

Happy gaming day ratchet and clank owners. Hope you enjoy your game.

People who scream about physical games, remember not everyone has the store, or the ability to get those physical games.

Digital makes it easier for them. While physical becomes hard to find (I have yet to find those persona discs from my gamestop. Its mostly western games here).

Bruh just order them on Amazon.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Cheapest price for the physical edition in the Netherlands is 66 euro.

Alternatively you could buy discounted PSN Wallet Topup cards at CDKeys.com. The sold the 35 euro card for 30 euro (15% discount) last week. If I had bought three of those, I would have paid 68 euro for R&C, "only" two euros more than the cheapest physical edition here in NL.

Still, in the good old PS4 days, new games would cost around 56 euro, not 66 euro.

Last edited:

I don't think anyone questions the easiness of digital.
Persona 5 Royal physical was available here at some stores, harder to find now.
I usually wait for Big in Japan sale in PS store to splurge on Japanese games.

In case of Sweden and R&C 30% saving and free delivery compared to digital.
(Pretty good compensation for waiting few days for delivery, in my case I can pop into the store and get it same day)

Spidey Fan

Banned
Bruh just order them on Amazon.
Easier than said. That isn't the case for other side of the world.

As for me, I am embraced the digital world long time. Its convenient for a lazy person like me. No more looking at disc's to find the correct game 40 Og xbox games, and I have to shuffle the correct game to play, since I keep mixing them down. Short memory from my side, so, its hard to know where they are.

Spidey Fan

Banned
I don't think anyone questions the easiness of digital.
Persona 5 Royal physical was available here at some stores, harder to find now.
I usually wait for Big in Japan sale in PS store to splurge on Japanese games.

In case of Sweden and R&C 30% saving and free delivery compared to digital.
(Pretty good compensation for waiting few days for delivery, in my case I can pop into the store and get it same day)
With deluxe edition or whatever is called, makes it harder for my to justify physical. Are those exist on physical disc edition? Or they only for digital edition?.

With deluxe edition or whatever is called, makes it harder for my to justify physical. Are those exist on physical disc edition? Or they only for digital edition?.
I think there was a physical - Digital Deluxe edition:lollipop_flores: not sure how widely it was available(not available anymore). I think it just included a code to make it "Deluxe".

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
The game requires a day 1 patch. The physical version is literally just a licence key.

May as well just pay a little extra for digital convinience.

Last edited:
I managed to get it from Amazon Spain for 66€, around 80USD - doesn't seem that a great deal, but in my country it costs 75€, so I save around 10 bucks.

After I'm done it's going straight to CEX. I'm not a super fan of selling games, but I've been doing it for the last two gens as it's the only realistic way to get all games. I got Returnal for 68€ and got 50€ back so it went well all things considered.

So yeah, window shopping for best physical prices and then reselling is the way to go for me.

Portugeezer

It should be the opposite... but as long as the digital stores stick to the MSRP/RRP - despite being cheaper for publishers and making more money per sale - then there will always be a reason to buy physically. Not to mention you can lend your game or sell it if you ever want.

Kerotan

Buying physical is retarded for me. Smyths and gamestop Ireland selling new ratchet for €80.

My USA PSN account can get it for $70 which is €57. That's €23 cheaper by going digital.

Top Bottom