• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Physical - Ratchet & Clank Rift in game prices

Allforce

I'm still cool with waiting a few weeks and buying used physical discs for even cheaper. It's not like a disc is ruined because it was already played.

Also then you can play games that maybe you are interested in but made by shitty companies without giving them a dime.

Kerotan

buying digital is retarded to me, buying the game for 70$, playing it, resold for 60$, it is 10$. 60$ cheaper than going digital. 🤡
Trading games is retarded for me. I prefer to keep them.

For people like you it makes sense as you like to trade. Regardless of digital pricing buying new games and trading them will always be better for you.

Gediminas

Banned
Trading games is retarded for me. I prefer to keep them.

For people like you it makes sense as you like to trade. Regardless of digital pricing buying new games and trading them will always be better for you.
i like to keep them too. 2 years after release i rebuy them for 10$. 50$ cheaper than digital.

I never, ever buy digital. Unless it's the only way.

Then again, I also immediately sell any games that I finish. This hobby is too expensive for people that buy multiple games per month. I realized a long time ago that the pretty shelf full of games that I'd never play again (at the very least, not in 240p with terrible framerate) was retail slavery. Sold every single one.

Skelterz

The game requires a day 1 patch. The physical version is literally just a licence key.

May as well just pay a little extra for digital convinience.

it’s a license fee that can be traded/sold for new releases or even if money is tight, Physical media is still the strongest option no matter which way you look at it.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
And some people want a digital ONLY future. SMH
Digital only is actually very consumer friendly if the content delivery platform has competition or the ecosystem is open. PC games are dirt cheap and have been digital for over a decade.

Unless you’re incredibly lazy person or so full of money that you just don’t care, there is really no competition - physical is so much better option under all accounts. You could live in some remote place or far away from stores but there is Amazon or other online stores for that who deliver it to your door. Like Gediminas Gediminas said, I sell my Demon’s Souls now and can get Returnal or Ratchet for 20% of the price.

Indie games that don’t have physical editions are another story but they are highly attractive with their pricing in the first place and especially on sales.

This thread is to show case why people should still buy physical games when ever possible, demonstrated with Ratched and Clank - Rift Apart.
Please post the best deal for physical version you can find in your country.

Sweden:
LlSkdft.png

Digital at Sony store:
dAMXKSd.png

Physical:
1hSnBOH.png

849 - 598 = 251 reasons to buy physical.
30% lower price on physical version of the game.
(Also free shipping on the physical versions i listed)

Where are those two muppets from the NBA thread saying that digital is always cheaper hahaha

Edit: Kagey K Kagey K and THE DUCK THE DUCK GET ITT!

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
buying digital is retarded to me, buying the game for 70$, playing it, resold for 60$, it is 10$. 60$ cheaper than going digital. 🤡
To you maybe, but not everyone shares the same value system.

For me the RRP for the game is the price of a full tank of fuel, that is roughly what it has cost me (relatively speaking) for the past 20 years.

I know that I can buy physical cheaper, but then I would have to
  1. store all my games somewhere
  2. locate them and physically swap them when I want to play them
  3. Be unable to remote play my whole library at the touch of a button
  4. etc.
I have no desire to trade my games in and I also know that I can get the digital version for up to 20% cheaper than RRP by buying PSN vouchers at times when they are cheap.

All this is why I've been happily digital only for the past 8 years.

But everyone has their own value systems and opinions :messenger_winking:

I believe walmart should have the price set to $59 on day 1. It looks like it's $69 to pre-order so not sure how that works, but most if not all new games launch $10 cheaper there.

Skelterz

To you maybe, but not everyone shares the same value system.

For me the RRP for the game is the price of a full tank of fuel, that is roughly what it has cost me (relatively speaking) for the past 20 years.

I know that I can buy physical cheaper, but then I would have to
  1. store all my games somewhere
  2. locate them and physically swap them when I want to play them
  3. Be unable to remote play my whole library at the touch of a button
  4. etc.
I have no desire to trade my games in and I also know that I can get the digital version for up to 20% cheaper than RRP by buying PSN vouchers at times when they are cheap.

All this is why I've been happily digital only for the past 8 years.

But everyone has their own value systems and opinions :messenger_winking:

if I buy ratchet and clank for £70 and complete it in 2 or so days then resell it I will probably lose 15-20 pounds I’ll get like 3/4 of my money back.

If you buy digital your locked in forever, storage isn’t really an issue we’re not talking about grand pianos are we, And if you can’t be bothered to swap discs then you one lazy boi 😂

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I haven't seen a single price drop for physical PS5 games in NA yet. Hopefully that starts soon. It'll definitely happen faster than the PSN Store though, that's for sure.

Skelterz

The only way buying digital makes sense going forward is if they adopt a digital licensing store where you can trade games with other players and trade games back to the store for a reduced price in spendable points in the store.

Until that day comes it’s literally a con, I’ve bought digital games before myself and I don’t have any real issue with it aside from the value proposition. It’s an incredibly rare thing that you can own the same product however one format is literally worth 0.

Last edited:

Esppiral

Sony may be on drugs or something, Demon's Soul is 79€ on the store and 59€ on Amazon.es same with returnal, and sackboy adventure is even cheaper physical on Amazon than on PSn right now witch is on sale lol, glad I went with the ps5 with disc drive.

Esppiral

I managed to get it from Amazon Spain for 66€, around 80USD - doesn't seem that a great deal, but in my country it costs 75€, so I save around 10 bucks.

After I'm done it's going straight to CEX. I'm not a super fan of selling games, but I've been doing it for the last two gens as it's the only realistic way to get all games. I got Returnal for 68€ and got 50€ back so it went well all things considered.

So yeah, window shopping for best physical prices and then reselling is the way to go for me.
Mind you telling me how did you get the game on Amazon.es for 66€? It's sitting at 78,90€ right now in their page.

Nezzeroth

Yeah it's pretty stupid. I pre-ordered it on Amazon Spain for 60€, meanwhile it was 80€ on the PS Store.

Buying digital would be a bit more convenient I guess, but when you lose the ability to resell your games even though you're paying 20€ extra in this case, it makes no sense to go digital imo.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Cheapest I found is ~85USD (that's the fucking price which should be on the store, since that's slightly more than: 70bucks + 21% VAT)
And Digital is ~102USD, so pretty good saving.
Czech Republic

How does pricing work if you set your PSN account to another territory?
Don't you have to create all new account for this?

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Digital only is actually very consumer friendly if the content delivery platform has competition or the ecosystem is open. PC games are dirt cheap and have been digital for over a decade.

But then you are relying on the content delivery platform, instead of true mom and pop stores and your friends to sell you a game for 50% off.

Skelterz

Yeah it's pretty stupid. I pre-ordered it on Amazon Spain for 60€, meanwhile it was 80€ on the PS Store.

Buying digital would be a bit more convenient I guess, but when you lose the ability to resell your games even though you're paying 20€ extra in this case, it makes no sense to go digital imo.

Buying ratchet and clank day one at the price they want is already pulling your trousers down, Going digital is basically lubing yourself up afterwards.

quest

Not Banned from OT
The competition has an eye patch on PC. Publishers rather get something than nothing. If PC was 100% secure the penny on the dollar pricing would go away.

martino

it's great if ps moves make people go physical imo.
this will keep the requirement for me to buy a closed box alive longer
Buying physical is retarded for me. Smyths and gamestop Ireland selling new ratchet for €80.

My USA PSN account can get it for $70 which is €57. That's €23 cheaper by going digital.
with fnac in france you get 15€ back if you preorder so in the end the game is 69 -15 = 54€ :pie_raybans:
acceptable day one price imo.

Yeah, love to see games on my shelf.

As for used game, gamefly is my go to place. Usually good price with complete case and even dlc code. They currently have Avenger and Watch dogs legion for 12.99.

Skelterz

The whole digital proposition stinks unless it’s drastically cheaper than physical it’s a well known fact they made a load more profit from digital purchases so why not offset some profit and gently lead consumers down a digital cheaper path…One word Greed.

Err, it's the exact same price here.......

Ah yes, the world revolves around America. Let's ignore, once again just as the examples in the other thread were, all the examples posted here showing that it is cheaper in many places. Let's also handwave everyone saying they can play and beat the game then resell it for an easy 60% (or more) return.

Much easier to keep blindly thinking digital is always cheaper through esoteric ways like changing your psn region with a different account, or hunting down psn cards that are on sale, or waiting and waiting for psn sales (as opposed to just buying the games for cheaper physically).

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Ah yes, the world revolves around America. Let's ignore, once again just as the examples in the other thread were, all the examples posted here showing that it is cheaper in many places. Let's also handwave everyone saying they can play and beat the game then resell it for an easy 60% (or more) return.

Much easier to keep blindly thinking digital is always cheaper through esoteric ways like changing your psn region with a different account, or hunting down psn cards that are on sale, or waiting and waiting for psn sales (as opposed to just buying the games for cheaper physically).

Lol, the nba thread, all of examples that were posted to supposedly prove that physical were cheaper were straight up more expensive and the person arguing just ran away when there was no point to his arguement. I never need to change regions, or buy psn cards to get my games at decent prices.

Why would I personally care how much a game is in Sweden? Or Russia?
For those of us who prefer the advantages of digital, and don't sell games, it's still definately the better way to go. But you hold on to 1980 and keep telling your self it's way cheaper and more convenient and stick it to "the man" while enjoying your Spotify and netflix subscriptions. You probably hate gamepass too as it offers no value or some crap like that.

Last edited:

Skelterz

Lol, the nba thread, all of examples that were posted to supposedly prove that physical were cheaper were straight up more expensive and the person arguing just ran away when there was no point to his arguement. I never need to change regions, or buy psn cards to get my games at decent prices.

Why would I personally care how much a game is in Sweden? Or Russia?
For those of us who prefer the advantages of digital, and don't sell games, it's still definately the better way to go. But you hold on to 1980 and keep telling your self it's way cheaper and more convenient and stick it to "the man" while enjoying your Spotify and netflix subscriptions. You probably hate gamepass too as it offers no value or some crap like that.

The value proposition for Netflix and Spotify is actually decent and far exceed any benefits from buying digital games, All you have to do is take a look at some of the Digital deluxe editions for newer releases, who genuinely enjoys looking at digital art books as opposed to actually owning and going through it People are being robbed blind and they take it because there stupid.

Its £80 by the way you best get the lube ready.

And while we’re on the subject of expensive video games I’ve read countless threads where people bash Nintendo for the prices of there video games, Which is now extremely ironic because there now the cheapest physical media you can purchase for a game console.

Last edited:

Codes 208

There’s definitely price parity here in the US, not even Walmart is dropping the price of the physical copy because Sony won’t let us

Top Bottom