• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro devkits arrive at third-party studios, Sony expects Pro specs to leak

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
mid gen refreshes should fuck off and die, i hate them so much, just makes the devs worry even less about optimization and just let the pro version brute force it, its the pc way and it sucks
R.24c135d252706b7ec17623d19cfdcbc9

Last edited:

Hohenheim

The issue is that we now have a new console with minimal spec increase every 3 years instead of a generational leap
Consoles are basically low speced (and mostly locked) PC's now. The fade out of the old way of "generations" will make this even more obvious the next few years,and is already very obvious.
It's gonna become a value/budget thing for most people, even more so than it already is, since almost all of the games are available on all platforms (not counting Nintendo here, only the PC-centric consoles)

If you want the highest framerate/resolution and most freedom (and have a huge budget) PC is the way.
If you want a cheap option and don't care as much about getting the high end performance, a console or a cheaper PC is the way.

The "generation" of consoles is obviously no longer the way it was.

Last edited:

Elios83

DF will downplay the f out of every PS5 pro version.

Microsoft will pass the usual check as part of their business "relationship".
You'll see them being negative on the concept of a mid gen console whereas it was fantastic last gen when they unveiled the specs of the Xbox One X.
They'll avoid direct comparisons with XSX at all costs and they'll compare the Pro mainly to PCs with a 4080/4090 to be able to claim it's not that good.

It's an already written script :pie_gsquint:

rofif

Banned
Stop making up stuff

PS4 was still being pushed even after PS5 was released, hell sometimes it was recommended that you run the PS4 code on PS5 for better performance.
Hell I got ps4 slim in 2017 (200$ new in media markt sick!) and I never upgraded to pro.
God of war, tlou2, death stranding all looked amazing

Bernardougf

Gold Member
That huge leak from MS shows they are going to release the next console in 2028. So same year as Sony or one year before.
Well those emails were old and things change... its just a feeling that I have and well only time will tell...I wont bet my house on it thats for sure.... and again our friend MS insider on this forum hinted of this possibility (earlier launch) ....

Back on topic.

I want a good pro console no matter the cost... I wont pay for some cheap 499 half assed upgrade... if thats the case Ill wait for the ps6 or maybe go full PC if sony starts releasing their games earlier (6 months to 1 year ) on PC... getting tired of 499 consoles to be honest... this cheapness is hurting this industry imho.

I think the Series X refresh has been scrapped and they are shooting for a 2025 next gen jump start

I would ALMOST bet all in on this
I mean...can we even call that next gen in 2025? 5 year gens make no sense nowadays. By 2025 most of their announced games for Xbox Series S and X will start releasing. Starting a new gen by 2025 means all those games will have to work on a crappy Series S...sounds like a mess. But i'm here for whatever happens.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
mid gen refreshes should fuck off and die, i hate them so much, just makes the devs worry even less about optimization and just let the pro version brute force it, its the pc way and it sucks
Yes.. because devs are soooo worried about optimization right now ... aside from sony and nintendo first partys and even then are releasing perfomance upgrades months after the launch in some cases.

And let me ask .. are you doing your part ? Or are you buying day 01 releases together with everyone else ? Without even knowing if the game is good or functional? The problem is not pro consoles.. is earlier buyer's throwing money at poorly optimized games incapable of waiting.

SkylineRKR

So it's better to play crossgen games on the worst piece of hardware...gotcha.

And stuff like Demon's Souls, Astrobot, Returnal, etc never happened. Plus...games like Gran Turismo 7 with almost instant loadings instead of waiting 40 seconds for each race to start on a PS4, playing Ghost of Tsushima at 60fps, Horizon had a huge upgrade on PS5, etc...

In this case, PS4 was not needed considering it started with less games than the PS5 and its exclusive games output was non-existant until Bloodborne...and then another year until Uncharted 4. Maybe it should've been released in 2006 only. /s

I never understand this rhetoric either. Its almost as if PS5 is worse than the PS4, yet it plays about all PS4 games, is far less noisy, boots far quicker, forces higher perf in a myriad of games too. Better controller. etc.

The PS5 is at its worst a much better PS4 Pro. At its best you have exclusive PS5 games for it on top.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I mean...can we even call that next gen in 2025? 5 year gens make no sense nowadays. By 2025 most of their announced games for Xbox Series S and X will start releasing. Starting a new gen by 2025 means all those games will have to work on a crappy Series S...sounds like a mess. But i'm here for whatever happens.
You cant ride a failure for 8 years.... it makes no sense.. and than do the same thing AGAIN for the third consecutive generation and go into the gauntlet with sonys ps6... MS has the money to say fuck it and try something new...

ergem

People seem to forget the resale value of a person's current ps5, an upgrade to a ps5 pro isn't $600, it's more like $200-$300, and easily worth it.

If they expect it to leak, just announce it already. I suppose waiting till after Dec 25th.....
And it’s so easy to sell a PS5 because the demand is so strong.

FrankWza

I think the Series X refresh has been scrapped and they are shooting for a 2025 next gen jump start

I would ALMOST bet all in on this
Why are they clearing out stock at more retailers of the x if they scrapped the x refresh? Target picked up the $349 deal too. Wouldn't they start discounting all the s consoles as well? Or do you think a permanent price drop is coming?

Melfice7

Yes.. because devs are soooo worried about optimization right now ... aside from sony and nintendo first partys and even then are releasing perfomance upgrades months after the launch in some cases.

And let me ask .. are you doing your part ? Or are you buying day 01 releases together with everyone else ? Without even knowing if the game is good or functional? The problem is not pro consoles.. is earlier buyer's throwing money at poorly optimized games incapable of waiting.

Definitely doing my part

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Kind of what I brought up months ago with how long cross gen is really whats the difference in naming even like the PS5 Pro vs PS6

Why are they clearing out stock at more retailers of the x if they scrapped the x refresh? Target picked up the $349 deal too. Wouldn't they start discounting all the s consoles as well? Or do you think a permanent price drop is coming?
Honestly I think its desperation to move product

ergem

That will never happen just like it never happened to the PS4.

More than 80% will own the OG. Devs will optimize for the OG PS5, then develop a little extra for the Pro version.

If anything, it’s the pro owners that will not see games optimized for their console save a few handful titles. But pro buyers know what they’re getting into.

killatopak

Early next gen for Xbox would be confusing at least for me. I wonder how cross gen games work or even exclusive games. Will they leave XSX behind entirely or slowly transition them via cross-gen games like now?

Whatever. Not my problem. I’ll just go where the game I like are. It’s so far in the future to worry about.

chilichote

Assuming the PS5 Pro is produced at 4nm. How much more power can a possible XBox Series 2 have at 4nm if the die size is comparable?

Mr.Phoenix

Assuming the PS5 Pro is produced at 4nm. How much more power can a possible XBox Series 2 have at 4nm if the die size is comparable?
If the die size is comparable, and they are on the same node... then there will not be an XSX2 on that node. Simple as that. Because at that node, and the same die size, the absolute best MS would be able to do would be a like 10-20% performance boost. And probably throw in things like 20-24GB of RAM and the subsequent boost to bandwidth. But that's not going to be enough.

We need to get to at least 3nm before we start even considering next-gen consoles. And there is a likelihood that the basic architectural design of those consoles would be very very very different. Thinking more along the lines of a chiplet design.

chilichote

If the die size is comparable, and they are on the same node... then there will not be an XSX2 on that node. Simple as that. Because at that node, and the same die size, the absolute best MS would be able to do would be a like 10-20% performance boost. And probably throw in things like 20-24GB of RAM and the subsequent boost to bandwidth. But that's not going to be enough.

We need to get to at least 3nm before we start even considering next-gen consoles. And there is a likelihood that the basic architectural design of those consoles would be very very very different. Thinking more along the lines of a chiplet design.
Then it would somehow make no sense to usher in a new generation so early with so little difference in performance, wouldn't it? That's why I find it a bit difficult to believe that MS would actually take this step. But who knows^^

Mr.Phoenix

Then it would somehow make no sense to usher in a new generation so early with so little difference in performance, wouldn't it? That's why I find it a bit difficult to believe that MS would actually take this step. But who knows^^
Anyone saying and XS2 releases in 2024/25 or even 2026 with a 4nm node is talking out their ass. And no matter what, MS is not releasing a new console 2 years, hell even 1 year before the PS6. Especially when they are currently in a generation where their problem is not that they have a console lacking in power.

A new console is not the solution to their problems. And releasing one that early does them no good.

rofif

Banned
I am pretty sure I've heard somewhere that 2-3nm is getting quite small and next step is quantum computing which is an obvious marketing bullshit name as of yet as nothing about quantum physics is more than a theory so far... except maybe dual slit experiment but that's kinda explained.
Even that, 7nm to 3nm is splitting hair here. WE went from 65nm on first core2duo to 7-5 being common now

Anyone saying and XS2 releases in 2024/25 or even 2026 with a 4nm node is talking out their ass. And no matter what, MS is not releasing a new console 2 years, hell even 1 year before the PS6. Especially when they are currently in a generation where their problem is not that they have a console lacking in power.

A new console is not the solution to their problems. And releasing one that early does them no good.
If Microsoft release a year or two early, they’re guaranteed to Dreamcast themselves because people will just wait for the ps6.

Crayon

The issue is that we now have a new console with minimal spec increase every 3 years instead of a generational leap

It's a weird shift, especialy since it kind of happenned overnight. But it seems to work. I noticed it seems a little rough for people who get fomo about it. By the time it comes out, sure you can sell your ps5 for decent money but I do that song and dance for gpu's and it's a chore. Funny, I did the same thing with a console for the first time, selling my ps4 when I got a ps5. It was more like a gpu upgrade experience and that didn't take the ps4 pro to happen. I skipped the pro without issue because I wasn't terribly impressed with the upgrade.

So yeah it's a new paradigm but so far worked out alright for me. The regular console was never left behind and for the most part games looked and ran great right up till the present day.

Kurotri

Btw a couple of Tweets from Kepler who also got on the "plans changed" train along with my "predictions" in Aug

IqG2wf8.png
AxNUizt.png
3xIGlnD.png
Dude, this is for some reason making me excited. Not necessarily because of Xbox but rather the change-up regarding the release windows for new consoles. A whole new generation Xbox well before PS6 while Sony is doing a PS5 Pro. It's definitely not boring lol.

Wooxsvan

If Microsoft release a year or two early, they’re guaranteed to Dreamcast themselves because people will just wait for the ps6.
Maybe some what but didnt Phil or someone say a bit ago that they lost the most important generation? People have built up their digital libraries and are largely gonna stay put. MS can get on this new cadence and start building their own MS-only customers for the long-term. That and Gamepass working together. I dont think xbox will ever be irrelevant though and end up like dreamcast/sega

Maybe some what but didnt Phil or someone say a bit ago that they lost the most important generation? People have built up their digital libraries and are largely gonna stay put. MS can get on this new cadence and start building their own MS-only customers for the long-term. That and Gamepass working together. I dont think xbox will ever be irrelevant though and end up like dreamcast/sega
My guy, they’re selling their consoles at $150 less than PlayStation and still being outsold 2:1. It’s already irrelevant.

Crayon

Launching a new gen early is positively insane. The only reasons would be to cut off the S and hopefully design something with a reasonable cost to build. Otherwise.... it's going to be a pile-up nobody can peel their eyes from.

If the PS4pro is anything to go by, then Sony kinda doesn't make it a habit to say anything about pro consoles until they are talking about it and giving a release date which would be like a month or two away from whenever they announce it.

Look at how they handled the PS5 refresh... that's the same thing they will do with the Pro.

And the same person that revealed a PS5 refresh with a detachable drive, a PS portal (handheld), hell even earbuds were all in the works almost a year before there were any official announcements for them, also said the Pro is coming.

That's as good a confirmation as anything. Besides, this is one of those things where if it were not happening, Sony would have at least said "We have no plans to make a PS5pro".
Ok, that's interesting to know.

Sony doesn't build hype, releasing tit bits, showing specs, any U.I changes, aesthetic differences, they just announce it a few months before and then anticipation builds from then on?

I suppose, if we are honest, Sony could do zero marketing and it'd still sell like the hottest of hot cakes.

Mr.Phoenix

Ok, that's interesting to know.

Sony doesn't build hype, releasing tit bits, showing specs, any U.I changes, aesthetic differences, they just announce it a few months before and then anticipation builds from then on?

I suppose, if we are honest, Sony could do zero marketing and it'd still sell like the hottest of hot cakes.
Exactly... sometimes its very very very annoying. Last time around, hell Happened this time around too, the chassis of both the PS4 slim and PS4 pro leaked long before Sony even officially announced them. Code name specs everything.

Same happened with the PS5 refresh, we knew about it for almost a year before Sony showed the damn thing, we had even seen a video of it before Sony announced it.

It's just kinda what they do.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This. It would really tick off your fanbase. Only way around it would be to continue making games for Series consoles. Which would make the entire thing pointless.
It worked for the X360. They are just going back to well because they have run out of ideas. Series S failed miserably and winning the tflops wars didnt do them any favor.

They can either focus on releasing quality exclusives slowly earning back the trust and accumulating goodwill or pull off another gimmick to win quickly. they will do the latter.

reinking

Gold Member
This. It would really tick off your fanbase. Only way around it would be to continue making games for Series consoles. Which would make the entire thing pointless.
I wonder how the S plays into this. If they continue to support it going into the "next" generation then it will hamstring that generation. If they stop supporting it and go with the Series X being the new low end system it is going to piss of a lot of people that bought the S. I can see the argument that they did not get a full generation of support.

Top Bottom