• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R. Mika's popularity in Street Fighter is baffling

Parapraxis

Yeah some guys want to fuck a cartoon. Don't pop a vain over it and let them live their lives.

Extreme_%28_Extreme_album_-_cover_art%29.jpg

Mika should have been the one to get fat rather than Birdy so she could rep Aja Kong.

I hope the rumored Brazilian character 'Laura' is wearing a Miss Bum Bum outfit. So sick of all this whining about a little fanservice or women having large breasts in games. I am happy for diversity and to see some conversative female designs but it should be in additon not replacing great characters like Mika.

R. Mika, a great character?

fpx7rbF.png

Saying you're sick of people whining about something in a topic where the majority of posters are whining about the exact same thing you are should give you some perspective. Seriously, look at the number of posters getting upset about a small number of people getting upset about the design.

On top of that as somebody who doesn't give much of a fuck, I mained Mika In Alpha 3 and like her design because it's so ridiculously terrible, I've got to say there's next to no diversity in fighting game females outside of being a glamour model or loli. So saying "I am happy for diversity" whilst criticising people arguing for it in order to defend a game where every female has a creepy amount of fan service comes off a little shallow.

I haven't played SF in years, but all this R Mika business is making want this game now lol

She looks fun to play, I mean, who doesn't want a double butt smash KO finishing move??

qcf x2

I know right? What dimension did I fall into where R Mika is a great character? People were even hype for Birdie during E3.

Combofiend is doing something right.

The dimension where Sim, Gief, Guile, Vega, suck. The dimension where people want anything but the same weird retreads. The
Rainbow Mika
correct dimension. ;)

Mxrz

If R. Mika was a male, but still as over the top and played as crazy, I don't think it would change much at all. Look at Skullomania. People got all sorts of weird generalized notions about the FGC.

And anything is better than another shoto. (Karin next pls.)

Mik317

I've got to say there's next to no diversity in fighting game females outside of being a glamour model or loli.

This is goddam bullshit and you know it.

You could kinda make the argument about SF (you'd still be wrong but with some stretching of what glamour models or GAFs favorite thing they apparently know little about, loli I guess it could work) but the entire genre?

naw.

The dimension where Sim, Gief, Guile, Vega, suck. The dimension where people want anything but the same weird retreads. The
Rainbow Mika
correct dimension. ;)

Vega is going to end up like She Hulk being announced in Marvel 3. People hate the reveal, game comes out, acts like nothing happened because of creativity of the moveset.

Platy

Every "she HAS to be over the top BECAUSE WRESTLING" makes no sense because HER GODDAM PARTNER uses a default kinda realistic wrestling outfit and ....assets

Zolo

Every "she HAS to be over the top BECAUSE WRESTLING" makes no sense because HER GODDAM PARTNER uses a default kinda realistic wrestling outfit and ....assets

From what I understand, it's some kind of wrestling from Japan than the American wrestling most people think of. *Shrugs* Not really an expert on either.

Doorman

So the conclusion from this is...Mika chooses to wear the outfit that she does? She has a more bombastic personality, it may not be a stretch to think that she opts to carry that to her fashion, either way I'm not sure that really makes things any more (or less) problematic for the sake of the discussion.

RM8

True, her partner actually looks like the Japanese wrestlers people have posted in these threads, lol.

GorillaJu

I've been to a live Japanese fem pro-wrestling event and I didn't see anyone wearing anything as revealing as Mika. Her costume is still great though. It's a cartoony video game it should be a caricature and exaggerated.

For the "...but her partner isn't so sexy!" crowd—well, that's because she's the sidekick, not the lead. :p

Overside

Banned
meh.
The winkies, ass slap, water balloon filled with jello in space boob jiggle. Yawn. Thats everywhere all the time.

But the Stunner? No, even more than that, her dead lift press throw animation... That was soooo cool. It was Hot. On Fire. Had to fan myself a little.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So the conclusion from this is...Mika chooses to wear the outfit that she does? She has a more bombastic personality, it may not be a stretch to think that she opts to carry that to her fashion, either way I'm not sure that really makes things any more (or less) problematic for the sake of the discussion.

No, the conclusion is that the developers decided to put her in that outfit. Mika does not actually exist, so anything in her "personality" that would make her "want" to wear that outfit only exists as some text somebody wrote to justify the character design.

Village

No, the conclusion is that the developers decided to put her in that outfit. Mika does not actually exist, so anything in her "personality" that would make her "want" to wear that outfit only exists as some text somebody wrote to justify the character design.

BINGO!

NullMoon

Neo Member
I was kind of meh, on her inital reveal. However, after seeing Combofiend show her off my interest went from meh to Hell Yeah! Looks aside she looks legit, and all around fun to play as. She'll be the first ever grappler I will try to learn.

SephLuis

Slow Clap.

This right here is a correct statement.

NEO0MJ

For me it's that she's a wrestler. Always loved that trope. Though I feel they could tune down how revealing her outfit is.

I feel her partner has similar assets. Only reason she appears less so is because she's the side-character and therefore less detailed.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
This thread is awful.

You people are making me like R. Mika less than when I came in here.

Nudull

Banned
Gamers are awfully defensive about fanservice and other problematic elements in a lot of things, so no surprise there. This thread alone is proof of that. I'm personally disappointed in Street Fighter and other franchises' general refusal to be more progressive in order to appease straight dudes who would've thrown a goddamn fit the moment anyone criticizes their issues, let alone see companies actually listen to critics and try to do better by their audiences.

It's Street Fighter though. You have an Indian who can breath fire because he eats spicy curry, a large Russian who wrestles with bears, a green Brazilian wild man who learned to use electricity from electric eels, an evil dictator with Psycho powers, a female clone of said dictator, a red-blue man, Dee Jay, a Mike Tyson expy, a Bruce Lee expy, fat American martial artist who learned from watching kung fu movies, etc. Over-the-top Joshi Puroresu character with heart-shaped boob window doesn't seem that out of place.

mStudios

It's Street Fighter though. You have an Indian who can breath fire because he eats spicy curry, a large Russian who wrestles with bears, a green Brazilian wild man who learned to use electricity from electric eels, an evil dictator with Psycho powers, a female clone of said dictator, a red-blue man, Dee Jay, a Mike Tyson expy, a Bruce Lee expy, fat American martial artist who learned from watching kung fu movies, etc. Over-the-top Joshi Puroresu character with heart-shaped boob window doesn't seem that out of place.

And an Asian with beard.

Those are even rarest.

Gamers are awfully defensive about fanservice and other problematic things in a lot of things, so no surprise there. This thread alone is proof of that. I'm personally disappointed in Street Fighter and other franchises' general refusal to be more progressive in order to appease straight dudes who would've thrown a goddamn fit the moment anyone criticizes their issues, let alone see companies actually listen to critics and try to do better by their audiences.

You talk about defensive and yet

I mean

You're calling Street Fighter non-progressive because of a single chracter?

Top Bottom