• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R. Mika's popularity in Street Fighter is baffling

thelastword

Banned
Mika is a fun character, and nothing on her design bothers me. She is thick and has a more natural body overall, and her style is goofy. Yes, it's sexy, but what's the problem?

I can understand complaints when the a female character acts in a weak, submissive way, but really not in cases like this.
So what's the argument, is sexy not allowed in videogames?

I see it more as a preview about what's coming to her opponent, like brandishing a gun before unloading a hail of bullets.

The only other video game character I can think of who weaponized their ass is Wario.

Hugo and Fuerte, two other pro-wrestlers, do it in other Street Fighter games.

Wasn't much of an outrage when they did it, though...

Sorry OP

we live in a trainor era

2kqr0wR.jpg

it's all about the bass OP

george_us

I feel people who are up in arms about R.Mika aren't familiar with wrestling. Her look, demeanor, moves, and overall style are completely in line with what you would find in many female wrestlers to this day. Sure she's a bit more over-the-top but that's Street Fighters aesthetics in general. Every character is a borderline caricature of some existing trope. I don't get what mikes R.Mika trashy yet people love a character like Cammy despite the fact that she's still rocking a thong leotard despite being a highly trained military assassin.

I'm confused by the "indefensible super" comments

qoUMnFy.gif

... Defense of what? It's not even enticing, just goofy. It's not designed to sexually excite anybody as it's just something ridiculous to laugh at.

The "eye-candy" and "pandering to horny male teens" angle from some people is just mind-boggling to me. What the hell sort of things were you getting off to in your teens?!

daxy

Look man, you can't have opinions once the experts tell you how to feel about something, ok. They understand and know better, so you must be unequivocally wrong. Take it for granted that that's how it is, and don't even question it! Jeez, the gall. It's outside of your expertise, so no critical thinking allowed.

KdylanR92

I've learned an important lesson in this thread: Character Designers, if you wanna make your female characters thicker than a bottle of maple syrup you 100% can, just be a little classy about it.

But if you wanna make more R. Mika's i'm personally ok with it

Doorman

I kind of wonder...is the outfit the only real problem that people have with Mika by now as it pertains to the whole "she's just a sex symbol/fanservice/cheesecake" thing? Unless there's something totally ridiculous that I missed in the trailer, aside from her pro wrestling costume being revealing, her entire personality seems to be based around her combination of positive enthusiasm and raw strength. It seems like they've matured her a bit compared to Alpha 3 in some of her mannerisms too, with her voice having a bit more power behind it, and her hip-drop attack no longer being followed up with her little "look back and rub her ass like it hurt" animation anymore. Instead she's delivering kicks, suplexes, stunners and the like, and all without making those takedowns look particularly cheesy or over-sexual.

It's even funnier to me when compared to Bayonetta, whom people like to bring up as the "she's highly sexualized but she owns it!" standard...when Mika doesn't seem to act anywhere close to that either. She doesn't cap off all of her special moves with poses befitting a centerfold, she doesn't spin around her enemies as though they were stripper poles, she doesn't arch her back and moan while executing attacks...she just kicks people's asses and cheers about it. There's the ass-slap, yes, which as other people have said is both a common taunt of sorts as well as a signal to Nadeshiko to perform their combination attack. Is the double-butt-driver goofy? Yes, but I wouldn't consider it all that "sexy," especially considering the fact that it ends with the victim's face being piledriven into the ground.

If people want to ultimately bitch about the cheesecake outfit anyway, they're free to do so, but again like others have pointed out, the context for it in Mika's case is a hell of a lot stronger already than for Cammy, or, for instance, Chun-Li's black dress alt. She feels so low on the totem pole of fanservice complaints for the time being, at least from what I've seen.

Popnbake

ITT: people talk out of their ass to 'justify' liking an overly sexualized ditzy blonde cliche.

Comparisons to Bayonetta, who spends half the game completely owning her sexuality and the other half kicking ass? And Mika is 'empowering'? Does she empower other slutty wrestlers or something? Mika's 'having fun' magically makes her design something other than blatant pandering to male teenage audiences? Really? You guys are better than this.

Also, thankfully, some are upfront about just liking sexualized ditzy blonde cliche characters, liking 'female eyecandy' or liking this design in particular, and that's fine. To each their own.

But let's not pretend the character's something more than that by misappropriating terms like 'empowering' or by pretending her design makes sense because she's a wrestler or some bullshit.

ps. To the guy that posted a WWE clip to prove (?) ass-attacks are normal or something: that's assuming WWE was never sexist (/racist/both at the same time in your video).

Well she is in a fighting game so yes, like Bayonetta she's supposed to kick ass.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I kind of wonder...is the outfit the only real problem that people have with Mika by now as it pertains to the whole "she's just a sex symbol/fanservice/cheesecake" thing?

Yes. THat's literally all it is. Which is ridiculous considering how off kilter literally everything else in this series is.

I also have a major issue with people conflating sex appeal with sexism. Two different things based purely on context.

mStudios

ITT: people talk out of their ass to 'justify' liking an overly sexualized ditzy blonde cliche.

Comparisons to Bayonetta, who spends half the game completely owning her sexuality and the other half kicking ass? And Mika is 'empowering'? Does she empower other slutty wrestlers or something? Mika's 'having fun' magically makes her design something other than blatant pandering to male teenage audiences? Really? You guys are better than this.

Also, thankfully, some are upfront about just liking sexualized ditzy blonde cliche characters, liking 'female eyecandy' or liking this design in particular, and that's fine. To each their own.

But let's not pretend the character's something more than that by misappropriating terms like 'empowering' or by pretending her design makes sense because she's a wrestler or some bullshit.

ps. To the guy that posted a WWE clip to prove (?) ass-attacks are normal or something: that's assuming WWE was never sexist (/racist/both at the same time in your video).

he-mad.jpg

O boohoo shes showing some skin while fighting get over it shes in the game people want her she looks fun as hell to play as. I pray she's a top tier character when the game drops jus to see the amount of salt she'll bring

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
latest

She always has been thick, like a bowl of oatmeal.
Then I guess it's her childish demeanor that turned me off to ever look her as a sexually attractive character. She looks great in 3D though :D

Nah, I take it back. Chun and Cammy always had more sex appeal than her IMO.

Looked at some A3 official art of her yesterday and she's way chubbier in V.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Big butt
Big boobs
Carefree attitude
Stone cold stunner
...like what's not to like?

mdsfx

Everyone in street fighter should be dressed from neck to toe, be dead f*cking serious, and be a top-tier character.

Also please remove anything fun bc I hate it.

List of things the OP hates:
Videogames
People
Life

I jus want to kno how most of complaining about mika get thru everyday life? If you see a female showing skin on the street do you go back in the house? Lol

roknin

Yes. THat's literally all it is. Which is ridiculous considering how off kilter literally everything else in this series is.

I also have a major issue with people conflating sex appeal with sexism. Two different things based purely on context.

Exactly this.

G-Fex

ok amongst all the name calling and little fights going on.

From what *I* I I I
I
KNOWN, R. Mika seemed to always be popular not because of her sexiness but because of her character and moveset and there isn't a lot of 'wrestler' characters in SF, miniscule compared to shotos, charge, etc.

It's always been like that, everyone really like Alpha 3 to my knowledge and it's probably the best Alpha game in that series, and highly regarded during the huge capcom fighting game spree of late 90's for ps1. Even it's GBA port is incredible.

That's why her character is popular, that's why there was a bit of clamor for her to come back. Karin too as well, as well as other non-female characters.

Being made uncomfortable by a character design isn't always something that can be controlled. You can't just say "ok, I'll stop feeling uncomfortable about this then." Also, I think all of us would agree that, while R. Mika's design is similar to some wrestling outfits, and Cammy's design is similar to some functional athletic leotards, they are both skimpier than what you would see in real life (at least in the vast majority of cases). So even if you have no problem with one or both of their designs, you shouldn't consider criticism of them to be an extreme, "offended to death" position to take.

SephLuis

People are still discussing this ?

It's that hard to believe that some people like the character, design and play style and let it go ?

Her design is sexist. Is it ? If yes, so what ? Not everything in this world has to be "politically correct".

It's not like this videogame character is insulting anyone. If you feel insulted, okay, move on and let the fans be. I guess a more positive discussion would be her alts, how she plays, wrestling, instead of how much skin she shows.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
hey you can like things but still want them to be perhaps better than they already are

or put forward some ideas about what you think might make them better

or maybe think it's okay the way it is but listen to somebody else because it costs you nothing

it's okay

histopher

I hope the rumored Brazilian character 'Laura' is wearing a Miss Bum Bum outfit. So sick of all this whining about a little fanservice or women having large breasts in games. I am happy for diversity and to see some conversative female designs but it should be in additon not replacing great characters like Mika.

Gbraga

I hope the rumored Brazilian character 'Laura' is wearing a Miss Bum Bum outfit. So sick of all this whining about a little fanservice or women having large breasts in games. I am happy for diversity and to see some conversative female designs but it should be in additon not replacing great characters like Mika.

Naaah man, Laura must be a cute brown girl dressed in a cute way, please! We have ass for days with Mika and Cammy already.

Top Bottom