• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R. Mika's popularity in Street Fighter is baffling

I feel bad for OP. Especially the part where he was at a loss because a feminist defended the character. Why not? Not every feminist is sex negative. *shrugs*

mika8vodl.gif

Glorious
This is so damn good.

JackelZXA

It's hilarious to me how R.Mika, a character so many say is unpopular/waste of a slot/etc, has garnered BY FAR the most discussion in an SF5 character reveal.

It's definitely a surprise that her design has been fixed up enough to be worth talking about at all now, considering she was barely above Ingrid tier. (Or SF1 guys that time forgot...)

I feel bad for OP. Especially the part where he was at a loss because a feminist defended the character. Why not? Not every feminist is sex negative. *shrugs*

Not everyone agrees on everything and you can't just slap a formula on women's issues (or anyone's issues really). Most people are going to struggle with this and not understand why someone feels good about a character that doesn't fit into that person's pre-conceived notions, well-meaning or not.

One of my favorite characters in ALpha 3 and in SF period. It has nothing to do with her being designed for the "male gaze," or whatever. In fact, her personality was so childish and bubbly that it's difficult for me to see her as sexual at all.

Fuck all you people that can't get that people like different things and try to make others feel bad for liking the things they do.

I used to troll people with R.Mika in SFA3 and she was one of the characters I took to 32 in World Tour. Beat 4 Ryu's, Evil Ryu and Shin Akuma.

Don't know if I'll main her, but I'll definitely be playing as her.

And I didn't see this, but holy shit:

mika8vodl.gif

I actually really like Mika. She's a total cheese ball. Sure her outfit is revealing, but I don't think it's too far out compared to what a lot of women wrestlers wear. Besides. I don't think it's a bad thing to show off the body of a woman with her build. She looks strong and she's having fun. I think she's great.

PtM

Banned
I actually really like Mika. She's a total cheese ball. Sure her outfit is revealing, but I don't think it's too far out compared to what a lot of women wrestlers wear. Besides. I don't think it's a bad thing to show off the body of a woman with her build. She looks strong and she's having fun. I think she's great.
Her water boobs are frigging squeezed out of her costume. Don't pretend this is about her build.

The ass slap is also a bit much.

Her water boobs are frigging squeezed out of her costume. Don't fucking pretend this is about her build.

The ass slap is also a bit much.
Being a bit aggressive there.

I get that some people aren't thrilled with her costume. However, I don't really find her outfit to be a problem compared to a lot of other fighters in the game. Plenty of guys in their underwear.

Also the ass slap is such a whatever thing. It's not even sexual.

PtM

Banned
Being a bit aggressive there.
I'm sorry.
Also the ass slap is such a whatever thing. It's not even sexual.
I think you can confidently look at it both ways, in that sense it is indeed whatever.
Isn't that a gravity glitch problem?
Yeah, it may be the glitch, but I think I've seen it also infight. (Also, the glitch isn't pertaining to gravity.)
It still is in here, if you squint your eyes:

The alt costumes look amazing. Chun Li, Ryu and Bison have never looked better imo.

Still holding out hope for something better for Mika, but not to the opposite extreme:

Z95V2Mp.jpg
Haha, I love this.

Just because someone's designed to be sexual doesn't mean they're designed to be sexy. R. Mika is one of those characters to me. (and if you want another example, Sarah Pa-... err I mean Bayonetta)

I mean do you think people honestly look at her and think "that's hot"? She's more played off as an incredibly goofy character with her sexuality as a comical gag. Kinda like how people generally say male nudity is used more as a joke instead of actually being hot. I definitely don't view Mika as a sexy type character as I do just a cute (silly) type.

Just because someone's designed to be sexual doesn't mean they're designed to be sexy. R. Mika is one of those characters to me. (and if you want another example, Sarah Pa-... err I mean Bayonetta)

I mean do you think people honestly look at her and think "that's hot"? She's more played off as an incredibly goofy character with her sexuality as a comical gag. Kinda like how people generally say male nudity is used more as a joke instead of actually being hot. I definitely don't view Mika as a sexy type character as I do just a cute (silly) type.

Comparing her to Hakan as a joke character makes more sense than trying to pass off Zangief or Dhalsim as examples of male objectification.

Tiops

Mika is a fun character, and nothing on her design bothers me. She is thick and has a more natural body overall, and her style is goofy. Yes, it's sexy, but what's the problem?

I can understand complaints when the a female character acts in a weak, submissive way, but really not in cases like this.

Skilletor

Got a big goofy smile when I first saw it on stream, so good.

Same. She reminds me of Shermie, kind of. Somebody who just seems to be having fun doing what she loves to do. They're both very different personalities, but they have that in common and express it in different ways. Shermie does a dance and sings a song, Mika runs in circles and takes a lap. Their personalities are both awesome and why I love these types of characters. Coincidentally they have a playstyle I greatly enjoy, so it's win-win.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The ass slap elevates it in this case. It's just so ridiculous and over-the-top.

Undubbed

Fun, fact: The voice actress for R. Mika in A3 is the same one that did Nartuo.

I KNEW I noticed a similarity there.

Also....ninja centerfold.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
no girl in real life has ever slapped her own ass in an attempt to be sassy :p

I see it more as a preview about what's coming to her opponent, like brandishing a gun before unloading a hail of bullets.

The only other video game character I can think of who weaponized their ass is Wario.

I see it more as a preview about what's coming to her opponent, like brandishing a gun before unloading a hail of bullets.

The only other video game character I can think of who weaponized their ass is Wario.
Yup, who was also a super fun over-the-top character, hehe.

Kureransu

It doesn't bother me at all because the Ladies of street fighter all come in different shapes and sizes. Mokoto is the polar opposite of Mika, where half the people thought she was a boy (Honestly you could only tell because it showed her bra when was dizzy in 3S).

BadWolf

Butt slaps are pretty common taunts in anime and Japanese games.

Same. She reminds me of Shermie, kind of. Somebody who just seems to be having fun doing what she loves to do. They're both very different personalities, but they have that in common and express it in different ways. Shermie does a dance and sings a song, Mika runs in circles and takes a lap. Their personalities are both awesome and why I love these types of characters. Coincidentally they have a playstyle I greatly enjoy, so it's win-win.

Very much agreed, was thinking about Shermie and her adorable animations when watching some Mika matches this morning.

Just feels like there has been so much love poured into Mika, the kind of love that I felt was missing completely from SF4.

ITT: people talk out of their ass to 'justify' liking an overly sexualized ditzy blonde cliche.

Comparisons to Bayonetta, who spends half the game completely owning her sexuality and the other half kicking ass? And Mika is 'empowering'? Does she empower other slutty wrestlers or something? Mika's 'having fun' magically makes her design something other than blatant pandering to male teenage audiences? Really? You guys are better than this.

Also, thankfully, some are upfront about just liking sexualized ditzy blonde cliche characters, liking 'female eyecandy' or liking this design in particular, and that's fine. To each their own.

But let's not pretend the character's something more than that by misappropriating terms like 'empowering' or by pretending her design makes sense because she's a wrestler or some bullshit.

ps. To the guy that posted a WWE clip to prove (?) ass-attacks are normal or something: that's assuming WWE was never sexist (/racist/both at the same time in your video).

JackelZXA

Butt slaps are pretty common taunts in anime and Japanese games.

It's a signal to her tag team partner for their super move. (it's a wrestling joke)

ITT: people talk out of their ass to 'justify' liking an overly sexualized ditzy blonde cliche.

Comparisons to Bayonetta, who spends half the game completely owning her sexuality and the other half kicking ass? And Mika is 'empowering'? Does she empower other slutty wrestlers or something? Mika's 'having fun' magically makes her design something other than blatant pandering to male teenage audiences? Really? You guys are better than this.

Also, thankfully, some are upfront about just liking sexualized ditzy blonde cliche characters, liking 'female eyecandy' or liking this design in particular, and that's fine. To each their own.

But let's not pretend the character's something more than that by misappropriating terms like 'empowering' or by pretending her design makes sense because she's a wrestler or some bullshit.

ps. To the guy that posted a WWE clip to prove (?) ass-attacks are normal or something: that's assuming WWE was never sexist (/racist/both at the same time in your video).

In her SF5 outfit they've altered her design so the lines of her outfit follow her muscle structure, it emphasizes her muscles.

The Butt smash is actually a decent attack because you're applying the force of your entire body to it's center of gravity, the base of the spine. It's arguably a strong, if crude, attack.

The original design was trashy garbage, but the design has been altered and she's been buffed up to look strong. Claiming that there is only a single interpretation of something is arrogant on your part. There's more than binary readings here. These are your views, not absolute truths.

Also, even though I've said all this about R.Mika, I feel like Cammy's design is actually trashy. There's no context for it with Cammy, and feels like the design superceeds the character, rather than informing it.

Top Bottom