• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart wins Game of the Year award from Trusted Reviews

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's a good fun game but I think it's too disneyed and lacking good humor/edge. the previous game was much worse in that aspect so it's still better.
But the gameplay and graphics are worth it.
I would put either re village or even returnal higher

Banjo64

cumsessed
Great game, and a perfectly valid choice for Game of the Year, but I don’t see how anything can be awarded in October when Metroid Dread has only just released this week and Forza Horizon 5 isn’t hitting until November.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Interesting. I liked the 2016 reboot but I didn't find its gameplay that much different from original titles on PlayStation 2.

How is this 2021 game different and why it deserves a game of the year award?

Banned
Interesting. I liked the 2016 reboot but I didn't find its gameplay that much different from original titles on PlayStation 2.

How is this 2021 game different and why it deserves a game of the year award?

it isn't much different... you have a dodge move, that's about all that's really new.

you have those portals you can zip towards, which in practice is basically a grapple hook mechanic that has a cute little graphical effect attached to it

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
"Coveted"? Who the hell covets a GoTY award in October from a no name site?

Also as always, who gives a flying shit what some random site thinks? We need less idiotic threads like this as the only thing that matters is what your personal GoTY is, not what some "journalist" thinks.

kyliethicc

"Coveted"? Who the hell covets a GoTY award in October from a no name site?

Also as always, who gives a flying shit what some random site thinks? We need less idiotic threads like this as the only thing that matters is what your personal GoTY is, not what some "journalist" thinks.
Pet Hug GIF

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Psychonauts 2 was better. Heck I'd even rate Bowser's Fury better than Ratchet and I really liked Ratchet. I'd recommend the game to any PS5 owner, but game of the first 9 months of 2021 = the Year? That's just weird. I suppose next year they will include all games from October '21 - Sept '22.

Whatever. Is it a game that most would enjoy? Absolutely. Will I preorder the next one? Yes.

I think the praise for R&C is a bit over the top tbh. It's not like it's a bad game, but I don't put it anywhere near GOTY territory for me

It was good and visually stunning, but I wouldn't even put it in my top 5.

1. Returnal
2. Psychonauts 2
3. Metroid Dread
4. Deathloop
5. Resident Evil VIII

Last edited:
Haven't completed it yet but I've had a blast with it so far. Absolutely gorgeous looking, plays great and the story is interesting enough. Proper game.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It was good and visually stunning, but I wouldn't even put it in my top 5.

1. Returnal
2. Psychonauts 2
3. Metroid Dread
4. Deathloop
5. Resident Evil VIII

I think mine, atm is something like

1.) Dread
2.) The World Ends With You NEO
3.) Psychonauts 2
4.) Returnal
5.) Dungeon Encounters.

Still got a good 3-4 months left with some major heavy hitters on the way.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Late year game releases miss that cut-off from most places and count in the next year.

Yep, which only further bolsters what I say about "GOTY" awards from websites/blogs. Completely meaningless and almost always posted around here to validate a console warriors views/opinion. Since they never feel secure in their own views.

MrS

Banned
Evidence, if any was needed, that this has been a truly terrible year in gaming. Ratchet didn't deliver on its promise imho. Loop Hero and Returnal were robbed.

Stupid. Removed any credibility from themselves by not waiting. Whatever you think about FH5 and Halo Infinite, they are both coming out in 2021, so almost everyone is talking about that timing instead of their choice of Ratchet. Just saying there is an arbitrary ‘cutoff’ doesn’t justify anything - they make that up themselves. Nothing to stop them making these choices much later.

And that’s leaving aside the fact that they can pick such a phoned in, by the numbers Ratchet game (which I still liked) as being worthy of an award. It’s actually the first Ratchet I haven’t finished in a long time (although I will at some point.) That’s a little depressing for the state of this year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom