• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall is launching on Xbox consoles with Quality mode only (4K30FPS) - 60fps to be patched in at some future point

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Starfield is going to be 30 FPS isnt it?
I doubt it even holds 30 from what people are saying

As far as Redfall goes only having 30

Season 9 Middle Finger GIF by Shameless

Makes me wonder if they could have only worried about the Series X if it would have had this same outcome

diffusionx

Gold Member
It was 256 players actually but they were all playing against each other. The CPU wasnt handling any NPC or enemy AI.

We went through this with Destiny last gen. It was a cross gen PS3 game that didnt get a 60 fps mode on PS4 because it had to not just handle 6 players during raids but all the AI that each player was interacting with. Even with the mid gen consoles, they had native 4k on the x1x but still not enough CPU power to handle 60 fps. That came later with the PS5 and XSX. Again, Destiny is essentially a PS3 game that needed a PS5 CPU to get 60 fps.

I ran Gotham Knights at 60 fps on my 8 core 16 thread CPU but on several occassions, the game just crashed during coop after stuttering down to just 2 fps. Im sure its possible to get this running at 60 fps but they are clearly running into the same challenges other devs have run into.
Except PS4 had a netbook CPU that was bad the day it came out, while the XSX CPU is a pretty capable Zen 2 CPU with modern features running at a good clock speed. I don't see what Redfall is doing that is above and beyond Destiny, in fact it seems behind Destiny in some ways. There are lots of 60fps co-op games on these consoles.

Last edited:

dem

WTF

EWW

The game already looks like shit... now it has to be 30fps?
Just fucking delay it more then.
Fuck Microsoft is stupid

This kills the game out of the gate. Who the fuck is going to play a 30fps shooter?

Fire that moron Phil Spencer.

Last edited:

Roberts

Ouch, this sucks. I was actually really looking forward to playing this - liked everything they have showed so far and Arkane have never disappointed me before, but sheesh, this is not good, especially for a game that has been met with so much snark, pessimism and pure hatred (by people who haven't played it).

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Except PS4 had a netbook CPU that was bad the day it came out, while the XSX CPU is a pretty capable Zen 2 CPU with modern features running at a good clock speed. I don't see what Redfall is doing that is above and beyond Destiny, in fact it seems behind Destiny in some ways. There are lots of 60fps co-op games on these consoles.
Its a fully open world game. I know for a fact that Gotham Knights can have the other player on the opposite side of the map doing his own thing while you do other missions. The game has to keep both players instances in memory and have the CPU do 2x the work.

Destiny is not an open world game. its famously split into zones where you have to cross these stupid canyons just to have the game load before you get there. if redfall is anything like gotham knights, its a bit more complex.

besides, they said they will get the 60 fps mode done at a later date. Gotham knights never got a 60 fps patch on consoles. Its probably just a resources issue. they ran into some engineering challenge where simply reducing resolution didnt double their framerate so they punted it for a later date. Id say this is on Microsoft who are willing to spend billions but dont have the resources this team needs to solve this engineering problem in time for launch.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Its a fully open world game. I know for a fact that Gotham Knights can have the other player on the opposite side of the map doing his own thing while you do other missions. The game has to keep both players instances in memory and have the CPU do 2x the work.

Destiny is not an open world game. its famously split into zones where you have to cross these stupid canyons just to have the game load before you get there. if redfall is anything like gotham knights, its a bit more complex.

besides, they said they will get the 60 fps mode done at a later date. Gotham knights never got a 60 fps patch on consoles. Its probably just a resources issue. they ran into some engineering challenge where simply reducing resolution didnt double their framerate so they punted it for a later date. Id say this is on Microsoft who are willing to spend billions but dont have the resources this team needs to solve this engineering problem in time for launch.
I don't want to belabor the point but isn't, say, Genshin Impact an open world, co-op, 60fps game? Doesn't ESO run at 60fps? I could go on here. This is just not acceptable for a first party game.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Sad to see when games like BF2042 can have 100+ players on huge maps running at 4k60 and this game (along with others) can't even manage 1440p60.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I don't want to belabor the point but isn't, say, Genshin Impact an open world, co-op, 60fps game? Doesn't ESO run at 60fps? I could go on here. This is just not acceptable for a first party game.
Every game is different. Does Genshin have 4 player coop?

Like I said, its a resources issue. I am pretty sure if it was as easy as reducing resolution to get to 60 fps they wouldve done it already.

hlm666

You're CPU bound and while you can push pixels, the framerate relies heavily on the CPU which will be busy keeping track of what other players are doing in your world.
This doesn't really make sense, this isn't a problem for pc games in coop. You have people with unlocked frame rates running their systems as fast as they can and coop stuff still works fine while people are ranging from 60fps or even lower up into the hundreds. I know I was pretty much cpu and gpu limited in gta5 at release and 2 of the guys I played coop with for heists were on laptops just managing 40fps and primarily cpu bound with the poor things just wanting to burst into fire. Darktide I was also probably cpu and gpu bound with RT on and coop still worked fine. This whole 30fps because of coop seems like a poor excuse when we look at history.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Ok this is downright pathetic. 30fps mode only?????!!! It's a f***ing fps for christ sake! Xbox players deserve better and I'm not even being funny/sarcastic here. The Series S to X gap is much bigger than 1440p bs 4k so there better be major differences in visual settings.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Of course not according to some here no games push the current consoles

Dog Eye Roll GIF by Rover.com
Funny for that gif. You can push RTX4090 by having unoptimized code, what me and my bois are saying that from any of these features introduced with DX12 (or equivalent on Sony side, since they keep more or less parity with latest metal, which is a good thing btw), not much of them gets any use. Certainly not games on Unreal 4.x

Varteras

Gold Member
Unfortunately for Arkane, there's not even going to be much of a chance that this game sells enough to make up for development costs. Their games apparently already underperformed commercially BEFORE they were only on one console and on a sub service at launch. The game could still be a surprise hit, but after the more recent showings and now not even having a performance mode, it's looking increasingly like this game was either rushed or the devs on it are incompetent. We won't have to wait long to find out though.

Last edited:

ckaneo

Hmm...so maybe those Gotham Knight developers werent lying.

What I dont get is if they have the series S version running at 1440p why cant they get the Series X version to 60 at that same resolution.

This console generation was overhyped. No wonder Sony is gonna release a pro version

Last edited:

ProtoByte

The unimaginable has happened.

Microsoft has turned Arkane, one of the best devs in the industries, into utter garbage shit. How sad.
I disagree.
I think it was pretty obvious that Zenimax was generally on a decline, and the conversation around them reflected that. Microsoft buying them out just fueled the fanboy jet a little.
Arkane has never, ever been a technically proficient studio either; but there is an argument to say that being bought out by Microsoft should fix that to an extent.
Microsoft probably isn't the reason for this, but as it is with everything they touch, they certainly don't elevate it.

Top Bottom