• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall | Review Thread

What score do you think Redfall will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 8 1.3%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • 40-50%

Votes: 27 4.5%
  • 50-60%

Votes: 81 13.4%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 239 39.6%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 173 28.7%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 44 7.3%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 9 1.5%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 11 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

semiconscious

Gold Member
lol

FutiLFOWcAAbgKk

Do people on gaf actually want Xbox to fail? Serious question.

OG Xbox was my first console and the 360 experience was my golden era of gaming. Halo 3 and gears of war remain by far my most played games ever by magnitudes. It's hard to watch something you loved so much crumble before your eyes...like the Xbox Series X has nothing going for it at this point. It doesn't even play 3rd party games better, something I thought was going to be obvious with the power difference discussions pre launch. The only way they can improve at this point is by criticizing and holding them accountable. There's a clear accountability problem going on at Xbox management, sure they give all these extra years to devs and stay "hands off". But something isn't working. Are the managers just yes men who praise and think everything looks good? I want Xbox to be successful and they're stumbling so hard

spons

Gold Member
This thread is 95% Playstation people trying to shit on an Xbox game and attack people who want to play it. It's weird.

The thread should be removed and these Redfall threads should be moderated hard, and I assume that's why the live tag is on.
I shat on The Order 1886 at the time, for good reasons. If it's a shit game, it's a shit game.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Now that we got all our shit out.

Hope this should be a lesson to Sony and MS. Never ducking showcase your gameplay alot.

Arkane/redfall should be a lesson for this.
Why would we want them to do that ? So they get blind sales to “trick” people ?

If your game is good show enough of it to confirm confidence and hype but not too much to leave no surprises.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Do people on gaf actually want Xbox to fail? Serious question.

No, I want them to have in-house studios produce titles that are worth playing. Releasing Forza Horizon 5 and then being done is not good enough.

Should we not expect decent exclusives when both Sony and Nintendo can conistantly release them at a high standard?

The issue is that quite often Microsofts best is at Sony or Nintendo's worst in terms of quality. They hold rights to fantastic IP's I want them used for good titles.

Last edited:

feynoob

Why would we want them to do that ? So they get blind sales to “trick” people ?

If your game is good show enough of it to confirm confidence and hype but not too much to leave no surprises.
Excessive showcase is not good.
We seen that with deathloop.

People want to experience the game blindly for themselves.

OG Xbox was my first console and the 360 experience was my golden era of gaming. Halo 3 and gears of war remain by far my most played games ever by magnitudes. It's hard to watch something you loved so much crumble before your eyes...like the Xbox Series X has nothing going for it at this point. It doesn't even play 3rd party games better, something I thought was going to be obvious with the power difference discussions pre launch. The only way they can improve at this point is by criticizing and holding them accountable. There's a clear accountability problem going on at Xbox management, sure they give all these extra years to devs and stay "hands off". But something isn't working. Are the managers just yes men who praise and think everything looks good? I want Xbox to be successful and they're stumbling so hard
This is my exact feelings. But some people legit just wanna see them fail completely.

kuncol02

Banned
Console warriors? Perhaps, but there's nothing wrong with calling out a company that you want to succeed when they continue to under-deliver. It's no different than sports fans calling out the owner or GM for making dumb trades and bad personnel decisions. Those fans obviously don't want the team to fail, but if the ownership consistently do things that do not benefit the team and the team isn't winning championships as a result of that, the fans are going to be pissed and be vocal about it.
If it really is as bad as early reviews say then they should cancel it 2 years ago first moment they had chance. And I say that as Arcane fan,

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Me and some others on GAF have been saying this for years now. This was ALWAYS going to be the path that Gamepass was going to take. The lack of a true incentive structure makes it so that the platform holder doesn't have to truly make a great game anymore. Just do "just enough" to get your $9.99 a month.

I’ve never understood this argument. Number one, all of these games are available outside of the service. They don’t just need to be “just enough” to get people to sub. Most of the revenue from these games is still coming from traditional sales.

Secondly, why would people subscribe for a service full of “just good enough” games?

Lastly, posts like these just showcase how fickle and short sighted gamers are. This game could score in the 60’s and that sucks, but people will use it as console war fodder about how Xbox management sucks and Bethesda is done when in reality the game was in development for years before MS took over and from all accounts MS actually made it LESS GaaS. And it also ignores the fact that Bethesda just released HiFi, which IIRC is the best reviewing game of 2023, but that might have changed since I last saw that mentioned.

Gorgon

I don't think there is much fault here beyond Microsoft leadership giving acquired studios the autonomy to run their business when being a little heavy handed in this instance might have helped them realize this game was not ready to come out of the oven. Further, most of the traction in this thread is probably because a fairly beloved developer is releasing something so far below their usual standard.

But isn't it MS that decides when to launch the game? People are quick to blame developers and call them lazy etc, but developers have to work on time constraints, imposed deadlines, and constrained budgets, and they can only go so far. Do we know what really happened here? I'm not talking about the game per se, it's creative direction etc.

ByWatterson

But isn't it MS that decides when to launch the game? People are quick to blame developers and call them lazy etc, but developers have to work on time constraints, imposed deadlines, and constrained budgets, and they can only go so far. Do we know what really happened here? I'm not talking about the game per se, it's creative direction etc.

Arkane isn't lazy.

But they seem to have worked really hard on a bad idea.

bender

What time is it?

We don't know for certain but we have heard that Microsoft's leadership in these acquisitions haven't been heavy handed. I'm sure, just like everyone else, they do mock reviews with retired games critics so the reception shouldn't be surprising. Even if the game concept can't be salvaged, it certainly should have been delayed as it looks largely unfinished.

simpatico

I feel bad for like half of the art team. Certain elements of the grahpics look really cool. Usually just one element of a gameplay video, a house or a dusk lit tree, but then the player turns and I'm blasted with Fortnite. It just makes me want a proper Arkane vampire game. With the stories of their developer exodus and now this flop, Deathloop 2 is going to be the safest shell of a game all the focus testers at MS can produce.

I've got it preloaded and am willing to absorb a certain amount of shit to see some of said art. The idea of spending $70 on it is a tumultuous gambit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom