• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall | Review Thread

What score do you think Redfall will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 8 1.3%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • 40-50%

Votes: 27 4.5%
  • 50-60%

Votes: 81 13.4%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 239 39.6%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 173 28.7%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 44 7.3%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 9 1.5%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 11 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
impastor GIF by TV Land
Hold On GIF

Krathoon

I assume my PS5 controller will not work with the game. I'll get out the XBox One controller.

Keyboard and mouse might work fine.

GHG

I assume my PS5 controller will not work with the game. I'll get out the XBox One controller.

Keyboard and mouse might work fine.

If you're playing via steam then it will.

I think even adding it as a non-steam game will work even if you've got it from elsewhere.

But yeh, it's a first person game that mostly involves shooting. Kb/m will always be the best option in that situation.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Honestly, this kind of situation is also why Microsoft's instance on measuring "player engagement" instead of sales numbers is fundamentally flawed. There will obviously be a lot of people that play this with Game Pass. Maybe even more than usual, if the reviews are bad as people think "how bad can it be, I'll just download it for free and try it myself", then exit out after 5 minutes and boom - they're tallied the same way as a paying customer is on other platforms.
They like to use "reached" a lot.

ungalo

Xbox is responsible for the fact that the game is releasing obviously unfinished. But i wouldn't say it's their fault they couldn't rectify the course of the project.

From what i've heard Austin has been very pessimistic about it for years (the game was supposed to come out 3 years ago) since it was a request from Bethesda and they were not making any progress. And i'm not shitting on Bethesda, i defended them since they had a lot of undeserved commercial fails before.

But it's not a coincidence if this game didn't scream "passion" since the moment it was announced, it was just meant to be a request from a barely standing publisher to a barely standing studio. Now what i'm wondering is if Xbox is actually going to give them a chance to make real games they want to make, obviously Redfall is not going to help their case.

Last edited:

Calverz

Another person who doesn't understand time zones.

5pm Pacific / 6pm Mountain / 7pm Central / 8pm Eastern / 9pm Atlantic / Midnight GMT

Two hours.
Embargo drops the exact same time as global release.
Yes that’s right. I don’t understand what midnight is in my own country.

Cretin

AmuroChan

Gold Member
"Writer on Gotham Knights"

This tell a lot. This guy should rename himself to 'PC Principal Microaggression'.

Don't forget he was also an ardent XBox apologist back when he worked for IGN. He's the one who famously tried to justify that the human eye cannot tell the difference between 720p and 1080p and therefore it shouldn't matter that the PS4 was more powerful than the X1.

Now what i'm wondering is if Xbox is actually going to give them a chance to make real games they want to make, obviously Redfall is not going to help their case.

Hopefully so

Let’s just forget this whole zoomer shooter GaaS crap was mandated by Bethesda and now that MS owns them they can create games they want to make

This GaaS trend madness has to stop. It’s infecting too many good studios

Hopefully so

Let’s just forget this whole zoomer shooter GaaS crap was mandated by Bethesda and now that MS owns them they can create games they want to make

This GaaS trend madness has to stop. It’s infecting too many good studios

I can’t stand how rough around the edges their games look , environments in particular. The PCs on desks in Redfall look like 360 beta level upscaled.

Last edited:

Calverz

Open critic said midnight gmt which was wrong. It is 1am gmt, same time as launch it would appear.

Bloodbath In 9 minutes

I'm hoping it's better than what I'm expecting because my Series X needs some play time, this generation for Xbox first party have been an abject failure and if not for Bethesda they would barely have jack shit this generation now it makes sense why they purchased them their other internal teams must be a fucking dumpster fire something is seriously wrong over there instead of laying off devs at the Coalition they should've beefed them up because that's one of their more competent studios.

ulantan

Damn!... I've never see so many people praying for a game to fail.

Gamers really are sad bunch.
Microsoft whole marketing strategy for the last few years has been drumming up console wars. No one want them to fail but when you release trash after a drought and have been talking mad shit, this is what happens.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I can’t stand how rough around the edges their games look , environments in particular. The PCs on desks in Redfall look like 360 beta level upscaled.
When you make AAA titles (or AA or hell even B in some cases) you do pull from huge libraries of existing game assets to populate your levels. Typically the only change they will go through is a lighting rebake (depending on the setting, TOD, etc) or the addition of environment decals to make the asset "fit in" with the hero assets in the level/scene. Especially games with yearly entries (like CoD for example).

There are a ton of newer level designers who entire job is to "crate up" an environment. They basically go through and fill in areas that other designers have not touched, making sure to stay under the poly count, then those levels are reviewed later and easy stuff (to many crates in this corner Margo!) is pulled out if necessary.

Last edited:
Top Bottom