• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall - The Cryptid Hunter | Devinder Hero Trailer

Spyxos

Gold Member

Meet the Heroes of Redfall: Devinder Crousley. A cryptozoologist and aspiring inventor. Armed with weapons of his own creation, he’s on a mission to prove himself. Redfall arrives on PC and Xbox on May 2, 2023.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
I am from the future to tell you that you are indeed wrong.

It scored a 10/10! First perfect game in history!

Dance Dancing GIF by Soul Train
Golden Girls Dancing GIF by TV Land
Golden State Warriors Reaction GIF by NBA

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
High 70s is my prediction. Looks similar in quality to dead island 2. However, with the 100 coming from windows central, the score may be higher.
They won't give it a 100. Unless they really give 100 all the time? Even thel are unhappy about the 30 fps news. Shame the game is not a solo experience. I would have been interested if it was.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
As someone who isnt invested in the I.P. and is probably in the demographic they are looking to capture youd think they would have made a snazzier trailer. 53 seconds in and I closed it. Holy shit boring. Why wouldn't they show actual gameplay to hook prospective customers rather than just talking and a shitty cartoon.
? Maybe they do end up showing gameplay but too little too late. Shit trailer.

Last edited:

Markio128

Looks infinitely better in this trailer than in that previous gameplay shitshow. It looks alright.

Last edited:
If CPU is the bottleneck for the 30fps cap, then it will be rough on the PC too I'd wager.
For all the complaints about 30 fps I figured it would be pretty easy to name games doing the same things on consoles at 60fps. When Gotham Knights is the only other example it's clear to see that CPU limited games will have similar frame rates. Curious to see when the 60fps patch hits.

If CPU is the bottleneck for the 30fps cap, then it will be rough on the PC too I'd wager.

Why? PC users can drop in way stronger CPUs than the ones in Series X and S, so they can remove the CPU constraint if that's actually what is causing the issue. Unless the game has poor multi-threaded optimization and performance, but at that point it'd be more a reflection on the game itself and questionable programming.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
This game looks like a beautiful hot-mess in co-op.

MTV Acid Cocktail generation editing I see.

That, or just trying to show the same "ARKANE chaos. . ." is still present in this game.

As someone who isnt invested in the I.P. and is probably in the demographic they are looking to capture youd think they would have made a snazzier trailer. 53 seconds in and I closed it. Holy shit boring. Why wouldn't they show actual gameplay to hook prospective customers rather than just talking and a shitty cartoon.
? Maybe they do end up showing gameplay but too little too late. Shit trailer.

Good. Lord.

. . .I mean maybe you aren't snarking that you couldn't wait another 3 seconds for the fun cutscene to be over, and if so, there is countless video of gameplay if you are actually interested in seeing gameplay (instead of just grousing for grouses sake).

Last edited:

Tsaki

Why? PC users can drop in way stronger CPUs than the ones in Series X and S, so they can remove the CPU constraint if that's actually what is causing the issue. Unless the game has poor multi-threaded optimization and performance, but at that point it'd be more a reflection on the game itself and questionable programming.
I assume the reason for 30fps is a CPU problem, because if it's not then scaling down resolution and IQ on Xbox would give back performance to achieve 60 easily.
More than 8 cores are not really used by games so putting 12 or 16 core CPUs won't do much. The extra performance will need to come from single threaded gains. If it's 30 fps for Series X (it is not; it hovers above that, but for simplicity let's say 30) you will need double the power of a 3.6Ghz Zen2 CPU. Add to that the extra overhead that Windows, whatever else runs in the background, the extra care console ports usually receive for their hardware and the CPU requirements start to get pretty big. 120fps? Just forget it. Also, UE games have become notorious with hitching lately.
Asking from PC gamers to just get the latest and greatest is not proper.
I think videos from Digital Foundry and other outlets where they use obscene hardware like 13900K and 4090s doesn't do the general public much service. Who owns such expensive equipment and how much are they in percentage? How much better will a 3600 (a much more affordable processor where the average gamer might actually have) will fare if the Series X CPU is the bottleneck?
To be honest, the game really doesn't seem to me like it's doing a lot of stuff to justify it. We've had Co-Op games in the past with lots of AI entities running around and the performance was good even on shitty Jaguars. The Series should be able to run it. It seems to me like the code and optimization of the game is just not there yet and it would do well with a delay. (not now of course. It should have been announced months ago)
We'll see. Maybe the console versions were of the least priority and the PC will run great.

Tsaki

For all the complaints about 30 fps I figured it would be pretty easy to name games doing the same things on consoles at 60fps. When Gotham Knights is the only other example it's clear to see that CPU limited games will have similar frame rates. Curious to see when the 60fps patch hits.
Black ops 3 Zombies ran pretty well when I played it back in 2015-2016. 4 player Co-Op, lot's of AI entities, bosses and better graphics than Redfall. Also it ran on the atrocious Jaguar cores of the PS4. Modern Zen CPUs really shouldn't have such a problem running Redfall or Gothan Knights. And even Arkane agrees with this, since the 60 fps patch/optimization/clean-up-the-code is coming in the future.

Black ops 3 Zombies ran pretty well when I played it back in 2015-2016. 4 player Co-Op, lot's of AI entities, bosses and better graphics than Redfall. Also it ran on the atrocious Jaguar cores of the PS4. Modern Zen CPUs really shouldn't have such a problem running Redfall or Gothan Knights. And even Arkane agrees with this, since the 60 fps patch/optimization/clean-up-the-code is coming in the future.
One of the comments that keep popping up is that people look at the game and think that because it doesn't LOOK super impressive it has no significant processor requirements. The thing that seems to bog this title down is what ever system is managing the online, untethered, 4-player co-op in an open world. That apparently hasn't been done too frequently before and the only other title that has recently isn't 60fps on console either. Did Black Ops 3 have 4 player, untethered, online co-op in an open world?

Schmendrick

One of the comments that keep popping up is that people look at the game and think that because it doesn't LOOK super impressive it has no significant processor requirements. The thing that seems to bog this title down is what ever system is managing the online, untethered, 4-player co-op in an open world. That apparently hasn't been done too frequently before and the only other title that has recently isn't 60fps on console either. Did Black Ops 3 have 4 player, untethered, online co-op in an open world?
I bet we'll see another game with 99% load on one core in Rivatuner....
Arcane have never been super competent with their tech.

Ok, I watched all 4 character trailers back to back. What I gather is :

If you are skilled FPS player, Devinder might be for you. Translocator ability + Layla's lift ability means you can do some crazy stuff. Highest amount of freedom of movement.

For moderately skilled players, Remi seems better. Her explosive ability will still give you a lot of freedom of movement without option of mid air theatrics.

For regular players, both Layla and Jacob seem best. Layla's abilities can be chained together effortlessly. Jacob literally has invisibility so that's pretty cool too.

GymWolf

Is it me or the graphic look at his worse ever in this trailer?

Before i said that it looked like a mid ps4 game but i'm starting to think that i was too generous...i'm not even sure if it looks better than killzone shadow fall tbh.

I guess the sniper is the less cringe looking\sounding characters but i prefer the skills of the black chick or the chick with the robot dog but i can't deal with their shitty VA.

Chukhopops

I hope this can run at 1080p60 on my old PC as it looks kind of fun to play.

Otherwise will have to wait until the 60fps console patch.

I hope this can run at 1080p60 on my old PC as it looks kind of fun to play.

Otherwise will have to wait until the 60fps console patch.

Am going all in at 30 fapas. Hope to get used to it.

Half of my buddies don't care. In fact they take great pride in their Intel integrated graphics card days and how they used to play at 9 fps.

Tsaki

I mean we can find for every game something that makes it unique from the others and peg everything on that as to why the performance is bad. But it doesn't matter because the 60 fps is coming in the future. What is Arkane going to do to achieve that? Make the game tethered, cut the open world into zones, make the AI dumber etc? If these things are the reason for 30fps, then these things will need to change to achieve 60. I really doubt that is gonna happen. The most likely explanation is that the game's performance and optimization are just not ready, it needed more time but MS won't give them more for god knows why. It's not like 2 extra months of studio pay matters to their wallet.

Chukhopops

Am going all in at 30 fapas. Hope to get used to it.

Half of my buddies don't care. In fact they take great pride in their Intel integrated graphics card days and how they used to play at 9 fps.
I really can’t aim with a controller at 30fps, all I can do is abuse the ridiculous aim snap modern games offer and it feels like cheating.

Might end up waiting for the first patch anyway since those usually come with QoL / balance fixes.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Best trailer yet...Just the guns lack impact....that's the major shame with this game imo.

Lets hope it feels good to play but It deffo is not being shown through the trailers and footage

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Wbk2D1a.jpg

This trailer must have had such such an overwhelmingly positive response that they where forced to private it to stop gamers rushing to the nearest store demanding a preorder.

The hype is just Unreal for this.

drotahorror

I find it really hard to get excited about Redfall's coop since the host is the only one gaining progression apparently.

drotahorror

Also, for a Mature rating, Redfall has some of the worst blood effects I've ever seen in an FPS. Might as well be non-existent. Must be rated Mature for cursing or something, the blood and lack of gore is weak as fuck for a game involving vampires. Also makes the impact of weapons feel lesser. Having guns feel good and seeing the impact they have, should be a top priority imo in games like this.

Last edited:
Sad I couldn't watch the trailer but it feels Gamepass will carry the playerbase for this. There is no fucking way Arkane can back down now and give up on launching this trainwreck to try polishing a turd.

Top Bottom