• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Platinum Games In Charge For MGS Rising Development [Platinum: Nope]

jackdoe

beastmode said:
Yeah, so I don't see why they can take it out in MGS4 and not take it out in a port.
They could. But that would require several fundamental changes to the gameplay system which would increase costs for the port. Anyway, this is moot since I really don't see Konami porting a game from 2006 (or 2004).

beastmode said:
*CQC hold* -> *Radial menu* -> *Click on action*
Haha. That sounds pretty weak.

jackdoe said:
They could. But that would require several fundamental changes to the gameplay system which would increase costs for the port. Anyway, this is moot since I really don't see Konami porting a game from 2006 (or 2004).

Perhaps the changes in store for the 3DS version will give us some clues.

jackdoe

Graphics Horse said:
Perhaps the changes in store for the 3DS version will give us some clues.
The 3DS version is a complete remake though and I expect it to fully play like Portable Ops.

beastmode said:
Would be 100x more intuitive than those stupid pressure sensitive buttons.
Doesn't make it any less weak (and MGS3 is already loaded with menus). But again: I just don't see Konami porting a five year PS2 game to the PC.

ArjanN

jackdoe said:

But they ARE already porting MGS3. (to 3DS, but still..)

Edit: beaten

jackdoe

ArjanN said:
But they ARE already porting MGS3. (to 3DS, but still..)
It's a remake. With brand new assets and new gameplay systems. A port is what I equate to MGS2 on the PC.

And I really meant port a very console like, 5 year old game to the PC.

beastmode

jackdoe said:
Doesn't make it any less weak (and MGS3 is already loaded with menus). But again: I just don't see Konami porting a five year PS2 game to the PC.
Oh come on, nobody likes the pressure sensitive controls other than you.

As for Konami's motives, the 3DS may not be selling as well as they may have thought. Konami's been saying that they want the series to be multiplatform since the release of MGS4, some HD ports of the old games to PC/360/PS3 would help getting those non-PlayStation gamers on board with the franchise and make lot of money from fans double-dipping.

jackdoe

beastmode said:
Oh come on, nobody likes the pressure sensitive controls other than you.
I never fucking said I liked the pressure sensitive controls so I'm not sure how you got that idea. I just said that your radial menu idea sucked (which it does).

Also, I'm not quite sure how much money HD ports will make. Obviously there will be some interest, but not enough to justify pumping the cash into completely revamping certain gameplay systems.

Ellis Kim

Banned
lol wut

What's with this discussion of CQC and pressure sensitivity?

CQC in MGS3 was broken because of how easy it was to slit someone's throat on accident. MGS4 fixed everything that was wrong with MGS3 mechanically.

Also, fuck radial menus. Worst trend that came out of this generation.

Ellis Kim said:
lol wut

What's with this discussion of CQC and pressure sensitivity?

CQC in MGS3 was broken because of how easy it was to slit someone's throat on accident. MGS4 fixed everything that was wrong with MGS3 mechanically.

All you had to do was press lightly in order to not slit their throat, also you HAD to press R1 harder whenever you wanted to choke someone out in MGS4 as well.

beastmode

jackdoe said:
I never fucking said I liked the pressure sensitive controls so I'm not sure how you got that idea. I just said that your radial menu idea sucked (which it does).
It's better than pressure sensitive buttons and works great on PC. Not sure what's up with the denial.

Father_Brain said:
That's a pretty weak definition of a debunking, considering that the tweet in question comes off to me as more a wink-wink, jokey non-denial than anything. It'd be amusing to see Anoop get something wrong for once.

It's a very strange tweet from Kojima. If KojiPro is still working on it then that seems like it would be pretty disrespectful (and demoralizing) to that team.

jackdoe

beastmode said:
It's better than pressure sensitive buttons and works great on PC. Not sure what's up with the denial.
Being better than pressure sensitive doesn't make it a good idea. It just means one crappy idea is better than a crappier idea.

SolidSnakex said:
It's a very strange tweet from Kojima. If KojiPro is still working on it then that seems like it would be pretty disrespectful (and demoralizing) to that team.

Yeah, Anoop's reading of it just doesn't make sense to me at all. If the rumor weren't true, how hard would it be for either Kojima or Kamiya to flat-out deny it?

Dyno

SolidSnakex said:

You know, you're right!

jackdoe

Father_Brain said:
Yeah, Anoop's reading of it just doesn't make sense to me at all. If the rumor weren't true, how hard would it be for either Kojima or Kamiya to flat-out deny it?
It really did seem like a wink wink, nudge nudge. And Konami has outsourced two out of their three largest franchises already, they could easily outsource the last. The Kamiya rumor was easily one of the least ludicrous parts of TTP's "credible source".

Rich!

kodt said:
Yeah, besides these games are not really playable without pressure sensitive controls. AFAIK there aren't any controllers on PC that use pressure sensitive face buttons or drivers that support them.

I tried playing MGS2 on PC and there was no way to get a good controller layout working so I gave up. (Not to mention several bugs and sound issues I ran into).

MGS1 ran fine on PC, but again, there was seemingly no way to get the control layout the same as PS1.

If they brought these to PC it would need native controller support with some solution for pressure sensitive buttons.

if the 3DS can get a port of mgs3, I don't see why the pc can't. neither have pressure sensitive buttons.

Ellis Kim

Banned
BIONIC-ARRRMMM!! said:
All you had to do was press lightly in order to not slit their throat, also you HAD to press R1 harder whenever you wanted to choke someone out in MGS4 as well.
The difference is that R1 frees up your hands much more than Circle ever could. They streamlined the controls perfectly for MGS4.

I mean, gosh, the CQC things you could do that I bet half the people who played the game never knew about (e.g. the crouch+roll over move to get ontop of them for a chokeout with lower camo index).

beastmode

jackdoe said:
Being better than pressure sensitive doesn't make it a good idea. It just means one crappy idea is better than a crappier idea.
Look dude, you said the game is unlikely to be coming to PC because the controls will be fucked up on a keyboard. I give you a solution that would work great and now you're saying "No no no, because I don't like that idea, you're wrong."

jackdoe

Ellis Kim said:
I mean, gosh, the CQC things you could do that I bet half the people who played the game never knew about (e.g. the crouch+roll over move to get ontop of them for a chokeout with lower camo index).
What exactly is this move. I actually may be one of those 50% who's never heard about it.

richisawesome said:
if the 3DS can get a port of mgs3, I don't see why the pc can't. neither have pressure sensitive buttons.
It's a remake on the 3DS with the entirely new and refined gameplay system of MGS4 and Portable Ops (along with new art assets including an updated Snake model). This isn't a port.

Duffyside

Banned
Father_Brain said:
To be fair, if you flat-out deny every false rumor, it's not too long until the dumb press wises up and goes "Rumor has it you're working on Metal Gear Solid 5" and Koji has to say "no comment," to which everyone knows means "confirmed." If you dance around and never flat-out confirm or deny anything, then you don't get backed into a corner like that.

Gilgamesh

SolidSnakex said:
Yeah, when I was read it I was like "dang, ice cold".

duffyside said:
To be fair, if you flat-out deny every false rumor, it's not too long until the dumb press wises up and goes "Rumor has it you're working on Metal Gear Solid 5" and Koji has to say "no comment," to which everyone knows means "confirmed." If you dance around and never flat-out confirm or deny anything, then you don't get backed into a corner like that.

Yeah, but how many rumors do they openly acknowledge rumors like this? This rumor has picked up steam pretty quickly and they haven't done anything to indicate that it isn't true. It really isn't one of those "We don't comment on rumors or speculation" type rumors. If KojiPro is still working on it then it's a pretty easy denial.

Ellis Kim

Banned
jackdoe said:
What exactly is this move. I actually may be one of those 50% who's never heard about it.

It's a remake on the 3DS with the entirely new and refined gameplay system of MGS4 and Portable Ops (along with new art assets including an updated Snake model). This isn't a port.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94gSY08qKL4
@ 1:32

So I exaggerated, its just the one move that's added on in terms of CQC, but there were a lot of other crazy stuff that I'm sure anyone who touched MGO can attest to.

Ra1den

I could see MGS5 not being shown at E3 even if Kojima is ready to show something, so that it doesnt steal Rising's thunder. I don't think this has been debunked yet.

Ellis Kim said:
The difference is that R1 frees up your hands much more than Circle ever could. They streamlined the controls perfectly for MGS4.

Hey, I'm not arguing. I agree that 4 had the better control scheme (though I could easily go back to 3).
It just seems that people forgot that 4 had its fair share of pressure-sensitive actions as well.

beastmode

BIONIC-ARRRMMM!! said:
Hey, I'm not arguing. I agree that 4 had the better control scheme (though I could easily go back to 3).
It just seems that people forgot that 4 had its fair share of pressure-sensitive actions as well.
I only see it once in that video, was it used for anything else?

beastmode said:
I only see it once in that video, was it used for anything else?

The rest were random stuff like zooming in during cutscenes and I think raising the Mk.II's head during briefings lol

How hard you press amplifies the zoom/head raise.

JCreasy

SolidSnakex said:

I'm gonna go cry now, thanks

rosedoomsday.gif

singlefathercry.gif

Cry.gif

2kq4gj.gif

auyxrd.jpg

Dyno said:
Is this what Kojima was tweeting about? Was Rising taken off his hands, against his will?

That's a pretty epic blow-out if true.

That said Hideki Kamiya is certainly qualified. Sam Gideon from Vanquish is very much cast in the Snake mould with a lot of narrative fat removed. If Rising moves and fights as sweetly as Vanquished then we will get some great Lightning Bolt Action indeed!

Do people do this on purpose?

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Krev said:
You really think Kojima would slam his own company like that?
The way he always tried to distance himself from Rising and its team already seemed pretty cold to me.

Catalix said:
The way he always tried to distance himself from Rising and its team already seemed pretty cold to me.

That could just be viewed as him trying to make sure that his team gets credit for the project. He still continues to get credit for ZoE2 even though he didn't direct it. I think that was in large part because he did a ton of interviews for it and Murata really didn't become the face of the project.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
SolidSnakex said:
That could just be viewed as him trying to make sure that his team gets credit for the project. He still continues to get credit for ZoE2 even though he didn't direct it. I think that was in large part because he did a ton of interviews for it and Murata really didn't become the face of the project.
Y'know, that's very true. My pessimistic side was just viewing his comments as "If it sucks, don't blame me!"

This is the only Twiiter account I found for Kojima

http://twitter.com/#!/hideo_kojima_en

No mention of the supposed exchange. Was it Japanese only? Funny that the grammar would be english in the quote in the article.

Anyway, this whole rumor and subsequent exchange seems like a whole bunch of bullshit floating around from 3rd rate blogs.

Edit: Nevermind, found the original tweets in Japanese.

pirata

Yeah, I don't think this Twitter stuff debunks the rumors at all. It just all seems very nudge-nudge-wink-wink. Also, like others said, I don't think Kojima would diss his team of subordinates by basically saying "it would be nice if you were working on this game (instead of my team)" unless the development had switched over some time ago. Also, Kamiya's tweet about that old NES game with a Raiden-like protagonist seems very suspect...

Catalix said:
Y'know, that's very true. My pessimistic side was just viewing his comments as "If it sucks, don't blame me!"

Yeah, although a lot of us made jokes about his appearing at Sony's conference at E3 09 was him trying to distance himself from the project so he wouldn't be blamed for it. I think that he was hoping that it did turn out to be amazing since that would likely get him off the hook for future MGS titles. If this rumor is true then I think that he's going to be working on MGS for a long time. There would be no confidence that someone else could take it over (unless he finally allows Murata take a stab at working on one on his own).

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The big thing would probably be MGS2, MGS3, and Peace Walkers HD Collection.

There is an old thread last year where Kamiya mentions a fantasy Getsu Fuma Den remake, I think that's just his dream project rather than a hint.

Keikoku

Banned
Platinum developping Rising wouldn't be good news to me. The game is supposed to be a stealth game too, isn't it ? Also as a MGS game it should have a decent story at least. Not sure Platinum can deliver in these areas.

mattp

Keikoku said:
Platinum developping Rising wouldn't be good news to me. The game is supposed to be a stealth game too, isn't it ? Also as a MGS game it should have a decent story at least. Not sure Platinum can deliver in these areas.
what

Riposte

Can someone do a Konami Conference 2010 anniversary before the new Konami event? Run the stream on a streaming site? (I lost my copy of it :/)

Top Bottom