• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Platinum Games In Charge For MGS Rising Development [Platinum: Nope]

Peace Walker has some of the best gameplay I've had in my PSP ever. If only the thing had a second stick it would be perfect, and even so I got used to using the buttons to move the camera pretty fast and easy.

The tranq gun is pretty broken since MGS2, but the challenge in PW is getting S-Rank, and the MK22 doesn't help much in that case.

I don't get why people diss Kojima so much, his stories were always crazy as fuck and had some "bad" points (those genetics in MGS1, dat AI in MGS2, those bad guys in MGS3) yet it looks like some people only realized that with MGS4. Did you grow too old for the franchise or something?

AwShucks

As a huge fan of Metal Gear I have to say that outside of MGS1 all the stories are pretty bad. And even MGS1 is fairly bad at times, it's just written better than the others I guess.

On that note, I must be a stupidly die hard fanboy because I even loved POOPS. But I was a sucker for the cutscene style it and PW used, so maybe that was partly the reason.

And anyone that doesn't like PW is just insane, that game is amazing.

Despera

Banned
rvy said:
Your bodies are simply not ready for the Kamiya touch.

kamiyawev4.png
Definitely one of the best.

This rumor is too good to be true.

Jtyettis said:
Huge MGS fan here, but I gotta say... Hallelujah!

Crossing my fingers for a ZoE 3 announcement. That's gotta be what Kojima's been working on all this time. Either that or a new Snatcher, which still is a better announcement than a new MGS game.

AwShucks said:
As a huge fan of Metal Gear I have to say that outside of MGS1 all the stories are pretty bad. And even MGS1 is fairly bad at times, it's just written better than the others I guess.
I disagree immensely.

Two is a convoluted but fascinating story about the internet and what it's effects will be, among other things. It's got some crazy story elements sure, but a lot of it very interesting. It says a lot about control and does what Bioshock did before Bioshock.

Three is a very intriguing personal story. The Boss is a great "character" and her relationship with Snake is amazingly well done.

People always complain about MGS having stupid stuff in it. It does and I like that. It's a fantasy military game. I think Jeremy Parish is correct when he compares it to GI Joe. It is grounded in fantasy realism, these things have some sort of realism to them, but powers and shit aren't crazy in the MGS world. It's awesome to me.

So my problems with MGS4 storywise, or at least the big one to me is how Kojima feels the need to pile on what I feel is worthless stuff and I just want to point out the big one to me. It's the Ocelot deal. It's lame and the story had already given a logical reason(within the MGS universe) for it to happen(son of the Sorrow). It to me always felt like Kojima was trying to force a Boss type reaction again. He was trying to make as feel like "holy shit he did all this, what a noble dude!" But it never worked for me, it dosen't make any sense and quite honestly ruins aspects of the story. I'm not going to get into all the little plot points, because quite honestly I don't remember them all right now.

And then in PW you find out more about the Boss and her mission and it just feels like these additions are there so there can just be even more twists regarding what happen 3. Regardless of the fact that they in my opinion take away from how good the Boss was. And then the further twists regarding the Support crew of MGS3 again feel like pointless twists for the sake of twists. They don't make much sense as we know what happen in 3 and they also don't make me care about it either.

beastmode

Rahxephon91 said:
So my problems with MGS4 storywise, or at least the big one to me is how Kojima feels the need to pile on what I feel is worthless stuff and I just want to point out the big one to me. It's the Ocelot deal. It's lame and the story had already given a logical reason(within the MGS universe) for it to happen(son of the Sorrow). It to me always felt like Kojima was trying to force a Boss type reaction again. He was trying to make as feel like "holy shit he did all this, what a noble dude!" But it never worked for me, it dosen't make any sense and quite honestly ruins aspects of the story. I'm not going to get into all the little plot points, because quite honestly I don't remember them all right now.
Well, that "son of the Sorrow" explanation is true during MGS2. Afterwards he removes Liquid's arm and gets a synthetic one, then hypnotizes himself for MGS4.

jg4xchamp

I'd call that great news.

MGS ridiculousness(especially it's enemies) with a platinum games combat scheme? That would kick ass.

Hopefully it's true. Either way MG: Rising could be cool. Wasn't it initially the zone of the enders people doing it?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So, just to catch-up : there's been no denial of this stuff yet?

If not, that's a telling sign. I'm sure Kojima would have no problem debunking this on Twitter if it weren't true. As per the last podcast with the clear yes/no answers to things he could address, he's happy to deny things in order to manage expectations.

Lime

Discotheque said:
Probably in the minority here but I find him to be a much much better developer than Kojima.

That's not very controversial at all. I think most would agree with this.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Discotheque said:
Probably in the minority here but I find him to be a much much better developer than Kojima.

Kojima wasn't directing Rising anyway.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Discotheque said:

I don't think it's a minority at all. Kamiya is a much better designer and has produced a more varied slate than Kojima.

jett

D-Member
I thought MGS2's plot was kinda brilliant. The execution isn't perfect, but there's so much ambition and creativity in there. I'll take something like that a million times over an attempt at fanboy-pleasing drivel like MGS4.

I haven't played Peace Walker, but I did spoil the ending for myself a while ago.
The Boss comes back as her spirit embodied in a giant metal gear or some shit?
:lol I'm gonna have to agree somewhat with Mr. Saxophone here. Kojima has lost his shit.

jett said:
I thought MGS2's plot was kinda brilliant. The execution isn't perfect, but there's so much ambition and creativity in there. I'll take something like that a million times over an attempt at fanboy-pleasing drivel like MGS4.

Forcing the player to take control of another character, and the whole Ghost in the Shell vibe of the AI aspect of the story was interesting and creative maybe, but the story in general, was an abomination imo. It gave me the impression that Kojima and chums thought the series was much more clever and high-art than it actually was or needed to be.

MGS4 was only drivel because it tried to reconcile the horrible plot of MGS2 with the other games (MGS1 + 3). That and the whole thing with Johnny. And Drebin constantly talking.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Risk Breaker said:
The tranq gun is pretty broken since MGS2, but the challenge in PW is getting S-Rank, and the MK22 doesn't help much in that case.
?

Tranq Gun doesn't compare to how strong hold up is in the game

and that does help alot in getting S ranks

That was my biggest problem with the game, hold up being as strong as it was made it waaay too easy.

Only challenging non boss missions were S Ranking the perfect stealth missions co-op, but even that only took a few tries(was fun as shit though)

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
jett said:

I haven't played Peace Walker, but I did spoil the ending for myself a while ago.
The Boss comes back as her spirit embodied in a giant metal gear or some shit?
:lol I'm gonna have to agree somewhat with Mr. Saxophone here. Kojima has lost his shit.

Agree with everything you said. MGS2 acts pretentious but this is one of those rare cases where the snob actually has some substance to back the elitism up. It's presentation is among the worst in any videogame but it's fourth-wall breaking and existential themes create a story that simply could not be done in any other medium.

Sub_Level said:
Agree with everything you said. MGS2 acts pretentious but this is one of those rare cases where the snob actually has some substance to back the elitism up. It's presentation is among the worst in any videogame but it's fourth-wall breaking and existential themes create a story that simply could not be done in any other medium.

Can you explain a bit? 'Cause I have to disagree.

jackdoe

BIONIC-ARRRMMM!! said:
Can you explain a bit? 'Cause I have to disagree.
The way the story is presented is pretty bad, i.e. through half-hour long codec calls, but the concepts and ideas that were presented in some of those final codec calls were actually quite intriguing.

jett

D-Member
radioheadrule83 said:
Forcing the player to take control of another character, and the whole Ghost in the Shell vibe of the AI aspect of the story was interesting and creative maybe, but the story in general, was an abomination imo. It gave me the impression that Kojima and chums thought the series was much more clever and high-art than it actually was or needed to be.

MGS4 was only drivel because it tried to reconcile the horrible plot of MGS2 with the other games (MGS1 + 3). That and the whole thing with Johnny. And Drebin constantly talking.

An abomination? Not at all. An abomination is Johnny getting married to Meryl. MGS2 might be Kojima trying to be more clever than he actually is, but I enjoyed what he tried to do.

MGS4 is drivel for too many reasons.

Sub_Level said:

I heavily disagree with what I bolded, but I really do enjoy the experimental nature of the game.

Dambrosi

Banned
Discotheque said:
What on earth do you mean, minority? You'll find few who disagree with you in this thread.

And objectively, just in terms of the quality of their respective outputs, I can find no fault with your argument..

Damn, I really want the Kamiya rumor to be true!!
I've gained so much respect for him after I played Bayonetta and saw the games he directed in the past (Hint: They're all some of the best games of all time).
I'm sure he'll do an amazing job blending stealth and action, they just have to leave the story to KP and this may become my favorite game of all time. I LOVE Raiden
though I prefer him in 2 more than 4 lol, too emo for my taste

pirata

I'm most excited about the mod possibilities for MGS3 and MGS4. Or rather, I would be excited. I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up way too much...

EDIT:

Always-honest said:
So does that have anything to do with the tweet of dissapointment?

I don't think so. Kojima had very little to do with Rising's development, and none of the other parts of the rumor really fit with his tweet, either. I think the general consensus is that his tweet had something to do with a weird visual novel project he was planning completely separate from Metal Gear.

TreIII

This wait for this Konami conference next week is going to be some kinda painful. :lol

All I really want is Kamiya confirmation. If I get that, I'll instantly care more for Rising. If not, then I can move on, and wait to see whatever is the "wonderful" thing Kamiya is working on.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Goon Boon said:
Either or is good enough for me.
It'd be nice in 3D as well but it'd have to change or ditch some scenarios otherwise it'd feel like MGS1 too much. Also if they do 3D I hope they have the top down style fixed camera

Verendus

Banned
Teetris said:
2D or 3D?
3D. Complete overhaul. I've never played them and would love to if they're updated. At least, he can't bastardise anything in them. Story is already there. Gameplay mechanics, environments and so forth will just need to be upgraded.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Kam said:
3D. Complete overhaul. I've never played them and would love to if they're updated. At least, he can't bastardise anything in them. Story is already there. Gameplay mechanics, environments and so forth will just need to be upgraded.
Story wise? He probably could change some things, and he probably would (edit, I think he'd actually have to change some things because he retconned it later on but I could be wrong)

But they're great games, feel way ahead of their time too. You should try 'em sometime anyway, you can really see how MGS1 came to be

rvy

Banned
Kam said:
Yeah, you keep telling yourself that. Kojima has said that he's not interested in remaking anything btw. And I'm glad.

Since we're at it, and I don't get tired of repeating myself, Solid Snake is the best MG(S) game ever created.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Discotheque said:
Minority maybe in terms of mainstream recognition, I doubt we'll be seeing Kamiya in Time soon, but not on a board like this.

Verendus

Banned
Teetris said:
Story wise? He probably could change some things, and he probably would (edit, I think he'd actually have to change some things because he retconned it later on but I could be wrong)

But they're great games, feel way ahead of their time too. You should try 'em sometime anyway, you can really see how MGS1 came to be
I probably will if there's nothing in a year or so. I have a few games I need to play before that though. Backlog has built up a fair amount.

rvy said:
Yeah, you keep telling yourself that. Kojima has said that he's not interested in remaking anything btw. And I'm glad.

Since we're at it, and I don't get tired of repeating myself, Solid Snake is the best MG(S) game ever created.
He says a lot of things.

Top Bottom