• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Platinum Games In Charge For MGS Rising Development [Platinum: Nope]

rvy

Banned
Keikoku said:
Platinum developping Rising wouldn't be good news to me. The game is supposed to be a stealth game too, isn't it ? Also as a MGS game it should have a decent story at least. Not sure Platinum can deliver in these areas.
13024759509111tqh.png

TheOddOne

Keikoku said:
Platinum developping Rising wouldn't be good news to me. The game is supposed to be a stealth game too, isn't it ? Also as a MGS game it should have a decent story at least. Not sure Platinum can deliver in these areas.
Cuqkt.gif

Keikoku

Banned
mattp said:

rvy said:

I love Kamiya & Platinum, don't get me wrong. I just don't think it's the most indicated studio to make an MGS game. I know that MGS Rising is also supposed to be an action game, but Platinum makes very specific types of action game (God Hand, Vanquish, Bayonetta) which are niche games in a way (loved these three games so I'm not a hater or anything)
I really don't except MGS Rising to be as technical and deep and old-school as these games gameplay-wise (the fact that it's waggle proof won't help either)

Do you really think that they'd be able to make a game with great stealth mechanics, a good plot and thematics ? I mean sure MGS4 is ridiculous in these areas but it doesn't mean that we have to go deeper. Remember MGS1/2/3.

Keikoku said:
I love Kamiya & Platinum, don't get me wrong. I just don't think it's the most indicated studio to make an MGS game. I know that MGS Rising is also supposed to be an action game, but Platinum makes very specific types of action game (God Hand, Vanquish, Bayonetta) which are niche games in a way (loved these three games so I'm not a hater or anything)

Do you really think that they'd be able to make a game with great stealth mechanics, a good plot and thematics ? I mean sure MGS4 is ridiculous in these areas but it doesn't mean that we have to go deeper. Remember MGS1/2/3.

Those three games play nothing alike. Kamiya also made Viewtiful Joe and Okami, which don't play like those games either. The man's capable of doing more than one type of game.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that I'm more convinced that Kamiya can make a good action game about a ninja who flips out and slices and dices stuff than I am anyone at KP other than Kojima himself or maybe whoever was responsible for ZOE2. So Rising being made by him would be the strongest argument for it actually being good that I've heard thus far. You may have been hoping for a game with lots of good stealth action and a story, but the trailers thus far haven't been heavily indicating that, so no sense shooting the horse you wish you could have had for the one you can actually get.

...Too bad I'm not convinced it's true!

Keikoku

Banned
OnimaruXLR said:
Those three games play nothing alike. Kamiya also made Viewtiful Joe and Okami, which don't play like those games either. The man's capable of doing more than one type of game.

But it doesn't mean he's capable of doing all kind of games, IMO. I just don't see this as a good fit, and I'm surprised so many people do. To me this sounds like Santa Monica making an open world game, or Turn 10 making an RPG. The result could be good, but it doesn't sound right when you heard for the first time.

Keikoku said:
Kojima can't deliver in those areas. I'm willing to let someone else try.

rvy

Banned
Keikoku said:
But it doesn't mean he's capable of doing all kind of games, IMO. I just don't see this as a good fit, and I'm surprised so many people do. To me this sounds like Santa Monica making an open world game, or Turn 10 making an RPG. The result could be good, but it doesn't sound right when you heard for the first time.
What do you mean? Rising is a supposed action-stealth game, I'm pretty sure Kamiya is more than perfectly capable of surpassing anything Kojima's B-team can deliver. Hell, I'm pretty sure he can do something better than KP.

And the storyline part is a moot point, any MGS after the first has the same amount of ridiculous and cheese that any Kamiya game has.

TreIII

pirata said:
I think Platinum is talented enough to try something a little different from what they're used to :)

As was said above, it's actually quite surprising how well-rounded Kamiya is. I mean, while I just have visions of Raiden slashing things up in a Bayonetta engine (and would love that immensely), he could be doing something quite different that goes beyond all expectations.

But in any case, whatever it may be, I'm looking forward to getting to truth of this matter.

Chemo

Rahxephon91 said:
This shit is ridiculous, he has delivered in those areas time and time again. People loved the fuck out of Kojima until MGS4, and even after that, Peace Walker is almost unanimously praised. People need to stop acting like Kojima can't make a fucking game when he's really only helmed ONE questionable release in the past two decades.

Chemo said:
This shit is ridiculous, he has delivered in those areas time and time again. People loved the fuck out of Kojima until MGS4, and even after that, Peace Walker is almost unanimously praised. People need to stop acting like Kojima can't make a fucking game when he's really only helmed ONE questionable release in the past two decades.
Two actually. PW was a pretty bad stealth game as well. And the story just further confirmed the crap that 4 created, and not in a good way.

Lightning

Banned
Chemo said:
I never understand the MGS4 hate. I loved the crap out of that game... absolutely brilliant.

depward

Rahxephon91 said:
Seriously? Have you not played MGS 1, 2 or 3? Admittedly, MGS4 wasn't super awesome in the stealth department... but it's still pretty damn good.

I'm not too excited unless Kojima's not getting any input at all on Rising. I'd rather have an astonishing, original, fun Kamiya IP rather than him having to do something with the tripe that MGS has become.

Chemo said:
I like his games for the stories he weaves, but his games are not representative of the best that Stealth action games can offer. I'd be willing to let someone else give it a shot especially if it comes from someone who has so far shown far more flexibility in his style of game creation(you cannot possibly try to compare Kojima and Kamiya here). I'm not saying that Kojima is worse than Kamiya, but that Kamiya has shown way more versatility and therefore deserves a shot.

Oh, and we've already seen more than enough from Kojima in the Metal Gear department. This might be a good way for him to find time for some other project for once. I'd absolutely love it if this were the case.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Goddamn, why does everyone engage Saxophone on his stupid opinions all the time. Jesus christ. Just ignore it.

rvy said:
And the storyline part is a moot point, any MGS after the first has the same amount of ridiculous and cheese that any Kamiya game has.

It's a different brand of ridiculous cheese though. While I am thoroughly entertained by Kamiya stories, I wouldn't want MGS to adapt that style. I don't think MGS4 would have effected me as much if Kojima had the same mindset Kamiya did when he was writing Bayonetta.

Y2Kev said:
Goddamn, why does everyone engage Saxophone on his stupid opinions all the time. Jesus christ. Just ignore it.
I'm sorry, my opinions regarding MGS aren't stupid. Unless your idea of good stealth in PW is running up to people and CQCing them and good story to be "everyone cared about The Boss somehow".

Y2Kev

Rahxephon91 said:
I'm sorry, my opinions regarding MGS aren't stupid. Unless your idea of good stealth in PW is running up to people and CQCing them and good story to be "everyone cared about The Boss somehow".
It's possible to play MGS3 that way too! It's even more fun cause I thought the blood spurt effect was so amazing for the time.

I have a problem with Peace Walker, and it's that the tranq gun is overpowered.

That said, I still think Peace Walker is amazing. I am saving the last act until the PS3 release!

Keikoku

Banned
Y2Kev said:

I didn't know it was stupid to say that Kojima's last games had shitty/embarrassing stories compared to the old ones. But I guess that any opinion that is not "OMG MGS4 BEST GAME EVER§§§§§" is a stupid one to you.

Y2Kev

Keikoku said:
I didn't know it was stupid to say that Kojima's last game had shit stories compared to the old one. But I guess that any opinion that is not "OMG MGS4 BEST GAME EVER§§§§§" is a stupid one to you.
Kojima's last game isn't even MGS4 SMH

Y2Kev

MG$4

I didn't know it was stupid to say that Kojima's last games had shitty/embarrassing stories compared to the old ones.

The old ones? Like MGS2?

Kojima's wrapped up in his own crap at this point, but you don't think MGS2 is embarrassing?

Y2Kev said:
It's possible to play MGS3 that way too!

I have a problem with Peace Walker, and it's that the tranq gun is overpowered.
It is, but not to the point of clear boredom that it is in PW. Since PW only has one difficulty level, we have all played the same thing, so I'm not making it up. PW is'nt really terrible, but it's hardly great. But for most of the game I did nothing but run up to people and CQC them and thats because the aiming was bad, which a PS3 port could fix. In 3 I had more viable options and never really full force ran up to people, they would hear me. For whatever reason the AI is brain dead more then usual in PW, so sound escapes them among other things. Then the structure of the game is'nt for me. I like the feel of progressing through some sort of place in the world, like in the other games. The mission structure in PW, while better then PO, is never going to capture that, so for me it's a negative. Add in the grinding for weapons and the boss battles and I can''t really say I like the game. The story, just continues on plot points regarding the Boss that I feel adds too much backstory and ruins some of the impact of MGS3. It continues with a twist in 4 that I did'nt like. I can't like the story of PW.

So no my opinion is'nt stupid at all.

Yenrot said:
I guess stealth to you is running up to people? Sorry even MGS4 has better stealth if you take that option, but then again MGS4 has the best gameplay of the series. Why? Because it's on a console with a controller. Putting that on the PSP is'nt a good idea, why Kojima dosen't understand that a portable in the old MGS style would be better I'll never know.

But that's why I don't want him on any more MGS. Let him try something different. MGS is tired. It needs new blood. Its why I have hope for Rising, whoever develops it.

Ra1den

I doubt Kojipro would hand over the reins of the story to Platinum..I just can't see it happening. I would think somebody from Kojipro (or better yet Kojima himself) would be overseeing the plot, scripting, and cutscene direction.

If this rumor ends up having any truth to it, I think what we're going to end up with is a collaboration, as opposed to it being a straight up Platinum title.

rvy

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
It's a different brand of ridiculous cheese though. While I am thoroughly entertained by Kamiya stories, I wouldn't want MGS to adapt that style. I don't think MGS4 would have effected me as much if Kojima had the same mindset Kamiya did when he was writing Bayonetta.
The thing about Kamiya is that he seems fully aware that he's doing cheesy, ridiculous stuff. Doubt he would have much problem coming up with a more serious toned game if Kojima asked him to.

I wouldn't be playing a Kamiya game for the storyline even if was the greatest storyline ever in any case.

Keikoku

Banned
Y2Kev said:
MG$4

The old ones? Like MGS2?

Kojima's wrapped up in his own crap at this point, but you don't think MGS2 is embarrassing?

MGS2 is a very ambitious yet flawed game plot-wise. It still puts MGS4 to shame in every way.
And MGS3 is a masterpiece in this department (I didn't like the gameplay that much though)

I'm sorry but Kojima went downhill after MGS3. I still consider him as a great game designer though, but it's time for him to move on.

Y2Kev

Keikoku said:
MGS2 is a very ambitious yet flawed game plot-wise. It still puts MGS4 to shame in every way.
And MGS3 is a masterpiece in this department (I didn't like the gameplay that much though)

I'm sorry but Kojima went downhill after MGS3. I still consider him as a great game designer though, but it's time for him to move on.
I just don't understand how you can complain about the plot of PW (or worse, POOPS, which no one even cares about) but excuse MGS2's nonsense on intent. I'm not even talking about the "postmodernism" (ack). I'm talking about the horrific EE crap and stuff like Jack/Rose's ridiculous on-air love affair. And I LIKE MGS2.

As for my dear friend Rax:

Rahxephon91 said:
Kojima can't deliver in those areas.

Do you believe this?

RPGamer92

Banned
Also if MGS1-4 remakes were going to Steam, why wouldn't they also be made for PS3 as well as why would Peace Walker not go to Steam as well?

Y2Kev said:
I just don't understand how you can complain about the plot of PW (or worse, POOPS, which no one even cares about) but excuse MGS2's nonsense on intent. I'm not even talking about the "postmodernism" (ack). I'm talking about the horrific EE crap and stuff like Jack/Rose's ridiculous on-air love affair. And I LIKE MGS2.
I have to say I actually agree with him. MGS2's story is strange, but not as terrible as it's made out to be.

POOPS onward started a cycle on endless fanservice where the entire plot consists of, "The Boss sure was great," and everyone knows each other. It wasn't even wacky dumb, it was just dumb dumb.

Y2Kev

EmCeeGramr said:
I have to say I actually agree with him. MGS2's story is strange, but not as terrible as it's made out to be.

POOPS onward started a cycle on endless fanservice where the entire plot consists of, "The Boss sure was great," and everyone knows each other. It wasn't even wacky dumb, it was just dumb dumb.
We're all discussing degrees of terribleness here. How terrible is X, how terrible is Y. How terrible is the heat that's giving me a headache.

If we're discussing degrees of terribleness, then the retcon of Gray Fox's backstory is first-degree, and the "explanation" of the name "Frank Jaeger" is honest-to-God the most contrived, poorly written, antilogical madness I have ever heard. It's like something you'd hear in a dream, there are words there and it all sounds good but then you realize you're eating a giant pizza and none of it makes sense.

Y2Kev

I would really rather be stabbed in the face than have an (off-topic) argument on MGS backstory, you. But I still think it's very silly to say Kojima can't deliver a stealth game with an entertaining animumu story. Not that Rising was going to be a stealth game or have an entertaining animumu story. It was going to be a game about cutting watermelons.

Y2Kev said:
Do you believe this?
Yes. MGS4 is a soul crushing game. I don't think you understand how much I hate it. I doubt he can deliver a "good" story in MGS now. Why should I? He did'nt for 2 games, 3 if PO counts somehow. He's just going to keep adding to stuff that dosen't need more crap on it. That's what PW told me. If Rising is a more stand alone thing more so then 3 and a personal story then yes the story has a chance. Yeah I know he's not writing it, but just think of it as if he was.

Gameplay? Maybe. No one can argue that MGS4 dosen't have great gameplay and while 4 seemed to not want to reveal in it, PW and MGS3 do offer tons of gameplay.

Reallink

Chemo said:

MGS4 is, without thought or hesitation, the greatest game of all time.

Top Bottom