• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Platinum Games In Charge For MGS Rising Development [Platinum: Nope]

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Sub_Level said:
Desperately in need of a high res texture mod. Doesn't look anywhere near as clean as MGS2.
Yeah the clean look is what made Substance so amazing on PC. You could easily play this today with no worries.

beastmode

It's old, but I just noticed this:

Shigenobu Matsuyama said:
What surprised me when I came to Germany were also the PC games. Living in Japan, PC games are not really mainstream, but seeing them here I thought that this PC area is also a place that we need to consider more seriously.

RPGamer92

Banned
rvy said:
Yeah, you keep telling yourself that. Kojima has said that he's not interested in remaking anything btw. And I'm glad.

Since we're at it, and I don't get tired of repeating myself, Solid Snake is the best MG(S) game ever created.

Kojima also said MGS4 would be the last MGS game.

Crunch2600

Neo Member
Finally, PC *PORTS* of MGS1, MGS2, MGS3 and MGS4 are bound to be released digitally via Valve's e-Commerce portal Steam.
Holy shit, that would be fucking awesome. Don't have a PS3, been dieing to play MGS4. Obviously, I hope these ports won't be shitty. Is 360 controller support asking too much?

I just heard from a friend working at an unrelated dev in Japan that this is true, though Kamiya himself is not on the project. My friend says he's heard it from too many other sources not to believe it. Rising was apparently in trouble before being moved to Platinum--the watermelon vid was said to have been complete crap, not at all in engine.

apana

So there is a god? If they are gonna put up MGS series on Steam might as well get busy on that PC version of Castlevania Lords of Shadow.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
jett said:
How does MGS2 work on PC without analog buttons?
Been a while since I plaued but I've always played with gamepads and can't think of any problems. I believe you aim wit the left analog and at the end you can use the right analog for sword attacks.

But you can map every single button to what you want.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Blast Processing said:
I just heard from a friend working at an unrelated dev in Japan that this is true, though Kamiya himself is not on the project. My friend says he's heard it from too many other sources not to believe it. Rising was apparently in trouble before being moved to Platinum--the watermelon vid was said to have been complete crap, not at all in engine.
Who else could be directing it? Platinum already have their B team busy with Anarchy Reigns. If their A team is working on Rising and Kamiya isn't, then he's spent the last 19 months working on...nothing, except answers to tweets.

Despera

Banned
Blast Processing said:
The plot thickens...

Krev said:
Who else could be directing it? Platinum already have their B team busy with Anarchy Reigns. If their A team is working on Rising and Kamiya isn't, then he's spent the last 19 months working on...nothing, except answers to tweets.
Have you seen how much that guy tweets?

rvy

Banned
Blast Processing said:
What do you mean no Kamiya? All hope is lost.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Gravijah said:
Snatcher sequel, of course. With no combat.
I'm still hoping Kojima's project with Suda is still a go.

TheOddOne

Blast Processing said:
Holy shat.

ArjanN

Blast Processing said:

Hmm, interesting.

For me the most interesting part of the rumor (and sadly the least likely) is MGS 1-4 coming to steam though.

legacyzero

Banned
How much would you pay for a port of all three games in one pack on Steam. I'd drop $60 like that, but only IF they include MGO from Subsistence.

Dont think they'll port MGS4 though. I'd pay $60 by itself if it were ported to Steam. That's Cinderella dreaming for sure.

Gravijah

legacyzero said:
How much would you pay for a port of all three games in one pack on Steam. I'd drop $60 like that, but only IF they include MGO from Subsistence.

Dont think they'll port MGS4 though. I'd pay $60 by itself if it were ported to Steam. That's Cinderella dreaming for sure.

Half a rupee.

rikichi

Blast Processing said:

fuck that then :(

apana

legacyzero said:

I'd wait for it to reach $10.

rikichi said:
fuck that then :(
I wouldn't write anything off just because [face man of company] wasn't involved. I've heard way too many behind the scenes stories about such people at other devs (people many GAFers love) to ever pin my hopes to one individual who may or may not in actuality do more on a project than look in on it for minutes every month or so.

I think Platinum working on Rising is awesome, though.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Blast Processing said:
I wouldn't write anything off just because [face man of company] wasn't involved. I've heard way too many behind the scenes stories about such people at other devs (people many GAFers love) to ever pin my hopes to one individual who may or may not in actuality do more on a project than look in on it for minutes every month or so.

I think Platinum working on Rising is awesome, though.
Based on Kamiya's track record, I'm pretty confident he's not the kind of designer you describe.
Look at Platinum's Mad World and Infinite Space. Neither are close to being in the same league as the Mikami and Kamiya games.
The director matters.

Yen

If the watermelon cutting is not really in-game, I think we can assume that the scene in the trailer where Raiden cut the pillars and railings collapsed is also not in game, as it is arguably more impressive than watermelons.
If that's right, then what do KP have to show for two years of work?

RPGamer92

Banned
Blast Processing said:
If true then what have they been doing over at KP regarding R over the past year (since E3 2010)?

as cool as this news sounds it is pretty embarrassing for Kojima productions to have to call in another dev and have them finish the game after they spent a few years trying.

I wounder how they will spin it.

Zenith

Banned
jett said:
How does MGS2 work on PC without analog buttons?

There was a "light" button that you had to hold with the other buttons to give a light touch. That sword tutorial you have to do in that Arsenal tunnel takes forever to do right.

beastmode

funkystudent said:
as cool as this news sounds it is pretty embarrassing for Kojima productions to have to call in another dev and have them finish the game after they spent a few years trying.

I wounder how they will spin it.
We don't have time for Rising, we're making Metal Gear Solid 5!

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Blast Processing said:
Wait a second...that's BS.
That scene was used for a stage demo at TGS 2010.

Zen

Banned
I'm going to be very disappointed if Platinum is talking it over completely and basically starting from scratch. Hopefully it's a collaboration between the two companies.

It's a real shame that, if this rumor is true, that the team was having problems with the development of Rising.

EDIT: Although Kojima has denied this rumor, apparently?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Zen said:
I'm going to be very disappointed if Platinum is talking it over completely and basically starting from scratch. Hopefully it's a collaboration between the two companies.

It's a real shame that, if this rumor is true, that the team was having problems with the development of Rising.
Given that the game was demonstrated live as recently as last September, if Platinum had started from scratch they wouldn't have much more to show by now than Kojima Productions did at E3 last year.
Perhaps Mineshi Kimura is still director, but a team with experience developing character action games was brought on because the KojiPro team didn't cut it?
To be honest I'd be a lot more excited if Shuyo Murata were directing. What's he up to these days?

Zeal

Banned
i just hope the sword play is similar to what was shown in videos. this could either be amazing or a truly gigantic fuckup.

all the rumors explain a lot, though. when a game usually disappears out of view for years (remember Halo 2?), 99% of the time it's in trouble.

Zen

Banned
http://twitter.com/#!/Kojima_Hideo

月風魔伝のHDって、どうやって創るんですか?リメイク?“@PG_kamiya: で、ですから月風魔伝を是非にと何度も… RT @Kojima_Hideo: 本当だったら良かったのにw“@PG_kamiya: お…やっと日本にもこの噂が… RT @paul25y: 制作指揮、神谷”

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/05/27/platinum_metal_gear_rising/

There's been a rumor floating around of late that Platinum Games, maker of such fine games as Bayonetta and Vanquish, is developing Metal Gear Solid Rising for Konami and Kojima Productions. Based off a few brief Tweets from VIPs at the parties involved, the rumor appears to be false.

The rumor originated overseas, but quickly made it on to Japanese humor blogs like My Game News Flash. A link to the My Game News Flash story was passed along to Platinum Games' Hideki Kamiya, who responded "So this rumor has also come to Japan." Hideo Kojima replied to Kamiya's Tweet, saying "But it would be nice if it were true."

Kojima's statement in particular seems to indicate Platinum Games is not actually involved in the project. Even more telling -- the two probably wouldn't have said anything if they were planning on an E3 announcement of the partnership.

That was already posted in this thread. I think the explanation for how that could not disprove this rumor was that it would be odd for Kojima to say "It would be nice if it were true (that you were working on this instead of my people").

Shuyo Murata better be directing Zone of the Enders 3. >:|
Zen said:
http://twitter.com/#!/Kojima_Hideo

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/05/27/platinum_metal_gear_rising/

There's been a rumor floating around of late that Platinum Games, maker of such fine games as Bayonetta and Vanquish, is developing Metal Gear Solid Rising for Konami and Kojima Productions. Based off a few brief Tweets from VIPs at the parties involved, the rumor appears to be false.

The rumor originated overseas, but quickly made it on to Japanese humor blogs like My Game News Flash. A link to the My Game News Flash story was passed along to Platinum Games' Hideki Kamiya, who responded "So this rumor has also come to Japan." Hideo Kojima replied to Kamiya's Tweet, saying "But it would be nice if it were true."

Kojima's statement in particular seems to indicate Platinum Games is not actually involved in the project. Even more telling -- the two probably wouldn't have said anything if they were planning on an E3 announcement of the partnership.
Kamiya didn't confirm or deny it, and Kojima's Tweet doesn't help either.

Top Bottom