• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PS5 Pro Codenamed "Trinity" targeting Late 2024 (some alleged specs leaked)

Would you upgrade from your current PS5?

• For sure

Votes: 377 41.0%
  • Probably

Votes: 131 14.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 127 13.8%
  • Unlikely

Votes: 140 15.2%
  • Not a chance

Votes: 145 15.8%

• Total voters
Doesn't matter if one thinks the consoles are maxed out or not. It'll be 4 years and Sony will probably release a fresh console with higher specs for those that are interested, in similar fashion to new graphic cards. Some devs will take advantage of the extra power, some won't. It keeps the industry from getting stale from a consumer standpoint.

Urban

i think the pro will be digital only with the option to buy the detachable disc drive.
Would be the first step for a Digital only future

Rykan

Ok man.

I totally lied about working in the illustrious gaming industry. Yeah. Been here a long time, can happily provide EL my credentials. It’s such a SWEET industry, totes worth lying about.
Not the point. The point is that you continue to toss it around as some kind of "Trust Me, Bro" mark of authority while you spout factually incorrect nonsense. It's blatantly obvious that you haven't worked a day in this industry, and everything you post below is straight up fan fiction.
It is cool at times, sure. Got to do some behind the scenes stuff, play some games prior to release. Best part was events and meeting other cool people in the industry talking and discussing projects - happens. All. The. Time. (Referring to people discussing projects), Feel free to read my post history regarding leaks and stuff. It’s way more common to learn info about gaming stuff thank you think inside the industry. People aren’t hush hush and secretive like some make them out to be. You’d just be an a hole for blowing the lid on something, so most people don’t do that.

So that’s like 2% if it.

But it also comes with flights, 8 hour conferences, 8 hour meetings, I once worked a 16.5 hour day… literally with only a single bathroom break. Much less food… and I wasn’t some important piece. I managed for a team of a company inside the industry, I was young. Wasn’t some crazy hard gig to land. Did get “”all”” expense paid trips for conferences and such, kind of cool I guess but since your day is planned for you there isn’t a lot of time to peruse the streets of “x” city. Big wigs ignore you mostly, but you still gotta sit in those meetings, classes, etc. super rare and illustrious gig! So much glamour!

When I did the switch to the media side I networked a lot. Went to mostly local events, had a few items I researched / wrote make it to major news outlets.

Quite a few that didn’t too. Like… the majority.

Gaming media certainly ain’t a money gig outside of the very few big shots. But it was fun, at least, kind of.

On a forum of adults average age mid 30s, I am getting accused of lying about my knowledge of the industry and past work in it all to defend my, ADMITTEDLY, personal views on GAF involving why I think halfway consoles are lame.

K.

Whatever floats your boat man.

BTW, gaming industry jobs ain’t some kind of needle in the haystack kind of thing. Check gaming companies, bet you can find employment easier than you think you can. You’d be surprised.
This unironically reads like what a 16 year old on a diet of hash brownies thinks working in the video game industry is like. "Like Bruh. You totally go to like...E3 and stuff, and then you go meet up and talk projects, and then like.. one day you manage a team, but bruh, they just pay for your flight and everything dude". Nobody who actually works in the gaming industry would begin by describing their job as "Going to conferences".

Last edited:
TBF, GAF isn’t a great representation of the overall populace.

We have no idea what it’s capable of BECAUSE THEY HAVEN’T MADE ANYTHING FOR IT.

Other than that, it’s just a hole anti consumer BS.

Sony gets away with it because Microsoft is the worst.

Horrible time.
Its not anti-consumer to make a new product.

As long as games exist, its perfectly fine. The only reason they do this is because gamers care about hypothetical power more than they care about games.
Sony are just more than happy to oblige and give them what they keep asking for.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The Princess Bride Reaction GIF

Three years ago I have been following the PS5 leaks, only to find out later on that they were all fake. Until Sony officially announces the PS5Pro, I'm not excited.

I'm okay with a PS5 Pro. It's coming out a little later than the PS4 Pro did in thaf life cycle and it should offer some decent gains.

I didn't ever get a PS4 Pro until 2018 when I got the GoW system. I was overall very happy with the benefits it gave; I still am.

I don't know how much potential this system could have, as I don't know how much technology has advanced in the years since the PS5 launched).

There will always be a space for "niche" or higher end systems.

I remember years ago, didn't the Xbox 360 have an "Elite" model that was basically a big HDD? I don't remember, fully but I remember stocking something like it years ago at GameStop. I think it was black.

Higher end and a market for it has been around for a while.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Horrible time.
You talk about this like it's something recently introduced, or specific to Sony and MS.
Modern consoles have been doing this for 15 years, with Nintendo first introducing us to the concept back in 2008.

But it does seem that only recently people have begun complaining about 'outdated' base SKUs if there's an upgrade out - wonder why...

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Horrible time.
Anti consumer to offer people options of a product that we love?

By your own admission they arent near hitting the full potential of the current PS5 so its good to go for several years yet so how is it bad they are offering a totally optional console?

I for one am very deep into Hell Let Loose on my PS5 and a certain maps that game really chugs hard I will drop $1000 on pro consoles for that game alone if it helps frames

And not starting over from scratch to play on my PC

Well it’s easy to understand. If a pro model happens PS5 will be the weaker console and the Pro will be better. How is that not the same concept as Series S/X? Besides digital foundry claims Microsoft said the X was their mid gen refresh.

Digital Foundry are a joke and basically roll along with whatever marketing point is spat out by Microsoft. Microsoft said they had no plans for a mid-gen refresh, then Digital Foundry "conveniently" comes out saying MS told them way back in 2020 that the Series X was the mid-gen refresh the entire time. That isn't coincidence; it's coordinated PR.

Watch if MS reveals a mid-gen system after all, we'll get another "convenient" puff opinion from Digital Foundry on how they were "just joking brah! totes swear!" about Series X being the mid-gen refresh. Or wait even better, it was just a "thought experiment".

But anyway to answer your question...the PS5 as a base console is significantly more capable than the Series S, so even if the PS5 Pro will be "limited" by the PS5, the purpose of the PS5 Pro is to enhance PS5 games. It is not intended to be a new baseline with games scoped to it, then scaled down in design complexity and features to attempt running on the PS5.

It would be analogous to what we're seeing play out between the Series S and X, where the X is basically a resolution booster & framerate enhancer for games seemingly made with the Series S in mind (or games designed with the expectation to run on a system like Series S shortly after initial release). Except the problem there is MS advertised next gen with the Series X, and the assumption games could just "easily scale down" to run on the Series S.

That isn't the case in reality though, and a lot of their upcoming 1P content looks like it's scoped specifically to be optimized very well for the Series S, then getting resolution & framerate boosts on the Series X.

Sure, I know I spoke about PS4 (which uses GCN), and how PS5 replicated the CU count of the PS4 Pro (GCN again), but... That already applies to baseline PS5 which is RDNA 1.5 or something. I'm not sure (more flexibility against GCN architecture) it's that relevant in RDNA 1.5 vs RDNA 3 which would be the case in a PS5 vs PS5 Pro debate.

The PS5 is NOT RDNA 1.5; don't fall for this. It became a sticking point by mainly Xbox warriors to use as a derogative towards PS5 since MS were parading about being "Full RDNA2" before the console release (despite in reality not being full RDNA2 at all).

Both PS5 and Series systems are 'custom RDNA2'; they lack some obvious things like Infinity Cache but otherwise support all the critical functions and capabilities of RDNA2 GPUs. Some things may have been stripped out that were deemed unneeded for a console; other things added like in the case of PS5 with cache scrubbers.

Please be 20tf. 24gb of ram. Day frigging one bbe!

Well if the 30 WGP part is true and this is going to be RDNA 3.5 (part RDNA3, part RDNA4), then if they maintain the same clocks as PS5's GPU they'll easily hit 34 TF.

However, that's through dual-issuing shaders. I am not sure if that peak theoretical performance is always available or if it's more like what Nvidia is doing where effective TF performance in most situations is closer to a smaller net gain. I think with the RTX 30 series effective TF perf increase was like 35-36% over the 20 series in practice. In practice, PS5 Pro would be 17.126 TF at the same clocks.

There's a chance the clocks could be higher though for shader logic, or maybe Sony prioritize a higher clock for the frontend. Maybe RDNA4 has separate clock modes for the backend stuff (ROPs, TMUs) as well and Sony prioritizes that. At the end of the day, whatever TF increase we see doesn't have much a correlation to actual performance increase, since there is so much more to gaming performance than merely compute.

Last edited:
Apologies but that's a laughable comparison. A 5-10min tech demo with a single character, a single desert environment, ultra linear walking simulator vs a 40 hour game with probably around hundred characters, NPCs, enemy designs, gameplay systems, dozens of unique environments, towns and set pieces to design.

Yet you essentially argue the UE5 tech demo experience was an example of the PS5 being used "properly" by devs whilst suggesting XVI (which is an amazing looking game) is a bad example of a PS5 experience or use.

I'm not sure why so many graphics junkies are so unreasonable, but it tends to be the case in the enthusiast circles.

🤷
From what your comparing this to?

I was comparing to FFXVI wich makes a lot of sense.

On this particular gif, theres nothing corridor about it, its a wide, open area wich the dev has assured we could go all the way to the horrizon and beyond!! Nothing corridor about it.

The point of my post was to show that the claim that ffvxi has topped ps5 full Power because redolution/fps is invalidated through this demo.

Yeah its a demo, but the open area is no different to many ffvxi areas and the graphics fidelitiy on ue5 demo are easily beyond anything we have seen so far.

Rykan

Digital Foundry are a joke and basically roll along with whatever marketing point is spat out by Microsoft. Microsoft said they had no plans for a mid-gen refresh, then Digital Foundry "conveniently" comes out saying MS told them way back in 2020 that the Series X was the mid-gen refresh the entire time. That isn't coincidence; it's coordinated PR.

Watch if MS reveals a mid-gen system after all, we'll get another "convenient" puff opinion from Digital Foundry on how they were "just joking brah! totes swear!" about Series X being the mid-gen refresh. Or wait even better, it was just a "thought experiment".
This is some absurd framing. Digital foundry mentioned that MS told them that they consider the Series X "A mid gen refresh" of sorts in the sense that they have a lower powered console as a base and a higher powered console at a higher price point.

At no point did Digital Foundry say that they themselves consider the series X the equivalent of a mid gen refresh: They only mentioned that Microsoft at one point told them they consider the Series X the equivalent of a mid gen refresh, to explain/speculate why there might not be another higher powered Series console.

Enough with the Digital Foundry "Xbox bias" conspiracy please.

Last edited:
Can you allow us and Sony the option to have this graphics at 60fps? Or, you think they could still optimize this to 60fps without compromising graphics.

Seriously, what’s your problem with the pro models? Did the PS4 pro gimped the base PS4?

I wont allow you to have a pro untill we start to see more and more games at this level.

Playing 60 fps or a not its a choice now. Since this was running with 1440p res at locked 30fps, you could have something like 900-1080p at 60fps with reconstruction technique ps5 base if that became a real game.

Before the Pro we had this making our jaws dropping to the floor:

We have nothing like that so far and you guys already want a pro when the base has not yet matured.

PeteBull

The Pro and One X each only accounted for around 20% of sales after they launched, the PS5 Pro isn't going to be meant to be the big seller it's going to be an option for people who are willing/able to spend more and also keep them committed to the product/ecosystem.
Yup true purpose of midgen upgrades isnt to make cash on its own sales, is to convince more techsavy/enthusiast/hardcore console players to stay within ecosystem and not build/buy games on the pc.
Here on GAF we know very well how much we can spend on our hobby, its hundreds of usd/euro yearly, sometimes even tousadands, we arent gamepass scrubs who buy 0 or best case scenario 1-2 games/year.
That is srs cash that Jimbo wants to get his hands on, hence ps5pr0 model isnt just probable, its inevitable since its all good business for sony, simply =D

And even if its not 20%, even if its 10% of console base who goes with pr0 version, u know those 10% are dedicated gamers, who will spend cash on their beloved games no matter how much their wallet/bank account screams "plz no" to them =P

This is some absurd framing. Digital foundry mentioned that MS told them that they consider the Series X "A mid gen refresh" of sorts in the sense that they have a lower powered console as a base and a higher powered console at a higher price point.

At no point did Digital Foundry say that they themselves consider the series X the equivalent of a mid gen refresh: They only mentioned that Microsoft at one point told them they consider the Series X the equivalent of a mid gen refresh, to explain/speculate why there might not be another higher powered Series console.

Enough with the Digital Foundry "Xbox bias" conspiracy please.

Maybe not "coordinated" PR conspiracy, but the timing of DF suddenly bringing up Series X being MS's mid-gen refresh was not coincidence to when MS themselves said they had no mid-gen refresh planned. Because the truth is, there was nor has ever been any marketing by Microsoft that the Series X was their mid-gen system.

In fact, at first they marketed it as their flagship, and that games would be developed with Series X in mind then downscaled to run on the Series S. That's what they convinced many of us to believe. So why are we only hearing about Series X being MS's mid-gen refresh from DF shortly after MS said they have nothing planned for a mid-gen system refresh (outside of the cancelled cloud streaming console)?

I'm not saying MS paid DF to say it; DF may've had their own reasons for putting the narrative out there, maybe repeating it to legitimize it better. The only plausible explanation I can think of WRT Series X as a mid-gen refresh is MS's own statements from Hot Chips 2020, where they said they took the dual-system approach because they weren't sure they could scale production costs down over the gen to make a Series X slim or whatever. But that wouldn't even support the idea they considered the Series X their mid-gen refresh internally.

OTOH if we're to support that Series X actually is their mid-gen refresh, then that supports my theory on Series X & S development, that they were mainly influenced by the One S & One X strategy, meaning Series development probably didn't start until mid-late 2017, or possibly later in 2017, after MS got market feedback from the One S and One X. Which probably also supports a few other things they were doing up to the system's release like parading about being "full RDNA2", because they had to wait on AMD for features to be finished for DX12U support (and Sony may not have needed to wait because they already developed their own forks equivalent to those solutions years earlier since they likely began PS5 development shortly after PS4's launch and didn't scale down R&D at some critical point last gen the way Microsoft did for Xbox).

Now some of that is obviously my own speculation but regarding DF I think it's fair to say, they go out of their way to not challenge certain marketing and messaging points Microsoft put out regarding the Xbox consoles. OTOH, they don't go out of their to do the same with, say, Sony, i.e they will more openly critique and question various claims by Sony and (usually) be forced to accept those claims were correct after fielding tests on them.

If you want to call that "Xbox bias" then hey, fine. But I never necessarily called it that, myself.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If this:
-gives Jedi survivor, dead space, ff16, etc quality modes at 60fps
-Sony continues to upgrade older games in resolution or frame rate

Then I’ll get one
I wouldn't count on these devs ever touching their releases again.
If quality is 4k30, then it will be 4k30 without a specific patch even on ps6.
Dead Space was dropped dead day after release

rsouzadk

I wont allow you to have a pro untill we start to see more and more games at this level.

Playing 60 fps or a not its a choice now. Since this was running with 1440p res at locked 30fps, you could have something like 900-1080p at 60fps with reconstruction technique ps5 base if that became a real game.

We have nothing like that so far and you guys already want a pro when the base has not yet matured.

And they did this, 7 years ago, on the standard ps4.

Last edited:
The main purpose of Pro consoles is to keep avg ASP of the console from falling and to give people new HW to buy… Resources required to design, manufacture, market, and sell this machine could have gone into PS6 and make it better but 🤷‍♂️… gotta sell what people ask for too regardless if it is great for them or not…

Part of the resources that make the PS5 Pro better, will make the PS6 better. PS5 Pro isn't holding back PS6 from being as good as it can be.

It's just part of the hardware development cycle.

PeteBull

There's always Alex Battaglia not being able to go to twitter, beyond3d and resetera to claim Xbox has "the more advanced GPU" despite not getting any exclusive technical briefing from Sony to compare against the one he got from Micrososft.
Once sony introduces slim and pr0 version imagine those DF 4way comparisions of multiplatform games- slim will always be beating xss with ease and same way pr0 will always be beating xsx with ease too, drama and tears will be glorious =D

Or DF now subscribing to "it will be an extra workload for devs that have enough to worry about" that they did NOT say when MS revealed the S and X.

They said that about the PS5 Pro? And people wonder why others are thinking they've become shills for Xbox. You don't say that about a PS5 Pro and then just "randomly" say the Series X was MS's mid-gen refresh the entire time accordingly shortly after MS say they have no plans for a Series X Pro.

There's always Alex Battaglia not being able to go to twitter, beyond3d and resetera to claim Xbox has "the more advanced GPU" despite not getting any exclusive technical briefing from Sony to compare against the one he got from Micrososft.

It's "more advanced" simply because it has 18% more TF peak (on paper) and "full RDNA2" including some features that are likely redundant for video game performance.

Meanwhile we are still waiting on an equivalent to HFW, Rift Apart, Burning Shores or even Demon Souls Remake from Microsoft 1P for Series X months and years later. They still haven't produced anything at a visual technical & artistic level to those games, and Avowed ain't it.

It actually would have made sense of you wanted big performance update to do it then, but what they realised is that software would not follow (just as it is not following now), but consumers would not be thirsty enough for shiny new HW and that half step upgrade would just not sell (see 32X’s wonderful experiment).

It also made it more difficult to optimise for the hardware at hand if you added more variations: the entire model and the API’s and tools supported by the console makers are meant to be focused on a single HW specs for several years.
Console cycles are longer now and game development ones are very long now too, but console cycles are longer and longer because HW improvements are slowing down (PS2 went from 250 nm manufacturing nodes to 90 nm during its lifetime, from separate chips to a single SoC… jumps like that take a LOT longer now and the cost to design and manufacture a chip at new advanced nodes is growing exponentially).

On top of that you need larger and larger performance increases in the HW to deliver the IQ and framerate jumps people would notice… Pro consoles are likely to have a small user base and tend not to get a lot of attention from developers either more than what they can bruteforce.
If the leaked specs are correct the performance jump between PS5 and PS5 Pro is smaller (or barely on par) than PS4 and PS4 Pro so this sums up to a lot of disappointment coming up: diminishing returns are real.

The main purpose of Pro consoles is to keep avg ASP of the console from falling and to give people new HW to buy… Resources required to design, manufacture, market, and sell this machine could have gone into PS6 and make it better but 🤷‍♂️… gotta sell what people ask for too regardless if it is great for them or not…

On the topic of diminishing returns, I feel 'ya. That is real. I think we can still easily tell the difference in terms of visual fidelity from a video game to, say, the CG in a film like Toy Story 4 or Avengers Endgame. I don't think we're seeing diminishing returns because the tech is slowing down in evolution, though. Personally I think it's because of something else you said: games are taking a lot longer to make, need more money and larger teams to keep pushing the limits.

I don't think a PS5 Pro is necessarily stopping or siphoning R&D towards a PS6; in fact if anything a Pro will help test the practical feasibility of certain technologies and get devs acclimated to techniques for that tech ahead of PS6 so that they can transition to that system more easily. Conceptually that's similar to what, say, Sega wanted the 32X to be for Saturn developers, I get that analogy. But Sega had poor dev tools at the time, and the Saturn was literally right around the corner. Sony have had the best tools in the industry for platform development historically, and PS6 is still at least five years away. That'll give good enough room for a PS5 Pro.

Personally I agree in a sense of where the market for a Pro actually is, but I can think of a few basic ideas. One is it being beneficial for improved PSVR2 fidelity, another being that it will have image upsampling tech that can further boost performance by lowering the bandwidth strain for certain target resolutions. And some other people have mentioned that a Pro would be a good way to target the whales among the enthusiasts and keep them locked into the ecosystem vs. getting a PC (maybe this also suggests Sony have internally reconsidered their PC strategy). I think those are some pretty valid reasons for a Pro, and it's not like Sony are going to sell it at a loss.

People buying a Pro know they're getting a resolution/framerate booster for PS5 games, they don't have any delusions of games being made for the ground-up targeting the Pro's specs. That kind of scoping isn't going to happen until near the start of next gen, by which point PS6 will leapfrog the PS5 Pro (and personally, I'm hoping offers more than just yet more graphics. I would like to seriously see Sony push for integrated VR/AR as a bundled standard in PS6 systems to encourage mass adoption, but we'll see).

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They said that about the PS5 Pro? And people wonder why others are thinking they've become shills for Xbox. You don't say that about a PS5 Pro and then just "randomly" say the Series X was MS's mid-gen refresh the entire time accordingly shortly after MS say they have no plans for a Series X Pro.

It's "more advanced" simply because it has 18% more TF peak (on paper) and "full RDNA2" including some features that are likely redundant for video game performance.

Meanwhile we are still waiting on an equivalent to HFW, Rift Apart, Burning Shores or even Demon Souls Remake from Microsoft 1P for Series X months and years later. They still haven't produced anything at a visual technical & artistic level to those games, and Avowed ain't it.
Yes. Bugaga said it. They also said an optional disc drive was "cringey," in a world where disc drives are optional. Especially for PCs.

Painfully transparent.

Last edited:

SABRE220

Yeah I fear all the ps5pro will do is give developers the even lazier option of pushing 60fps and rt reflections...while churning out underwhelming tech. I have absolutely no issues with mid gen consoles but god damn I would have liked atleast a few console showcases pushing the tech and developing new techniques and tricks to deliver visual surprises....I mean when I look games like quantum break accomplished on 1 tflops xbox with crippled bandwidth and the shit thats being delivered on a console 10x its power it just boggles the mind. Where has the talent and ambition gone.

Yes. Bugaga said it. They also said an optional disc drive was "cringey," in a world where disc drives are optional. Especially for PCs.

Painfully transparent.

Richard probably feels similar to Alex but lets Alex say the BS so he takes the heat. That whole platform's POV is centered on PC and they've bought into the "Xbox is PC" malarkey MS wanted them to.

Something seemed off when they kept pushing PS5 vs. PC comparisons but not just "PC"; they explicitly do PS5 vs. Windows 10/11 comparisons...as if PC gamers give a damn about Windows. I don't think they've yet done any Xbox vs. Windows 10/11 comparison videos, though. No reason to when they're both Microsoft products in that case :/

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Richard probably feels similar to Alex but lets Alex say the BS so he takes the heat. That whole platform's POV is centered on PC and they've bought into the "Xbox is PC" malarkey MS wanted them to.

Something seemed off when they kept pushing PS5 vs. PC comparisons but not just "PC"; they explicitly do PS5 vs. Windows 10/11 comparisons...as if PC gamers give a damn about Windows. I don't think they've yet done any Xbox vs. Windows 10/11 comparison videos, though. No reason to when they're both Microsoft products in that case :/

I always took that as something they did because there are simply more people interested in PS5 comparisons.

0neAnd0nly

No one cares that you work in the industry. It doesn't help your credibility one way or the other. Additionally, "working in the industry" means jackshit. You could be a character designer for all we know. What insight would that give you into the engineering process.

The rest of your post simply makes you sound like a clueless Gaf poster. If your work in the industry provides you with valuable knowledge the rest of us aren't privy to, then speak like someone who knows what they're talking about.

K. I literally mention it purely because I feel like I can give a modicum of insight some don’t have. Though, again, as I have said - this issue I am arguing mostly from a personal side.

Have a great day, anyway. Im in a bit of clearer mind sight today. Isn’t worth the fight.

You know everything you said here does not address why Sony started doing these Pro consoles, right?

Sony saw about mid generation people started migrating towards PCs and these Pro consoles are designed to have people buy them and stay in the PS ecosystem, nothing more

They don't care about optimization or feelings or any shit other than bottom dollar.

Sure, I do know that. I said “though it isn’t a bad business move because gamers have become lemmings”.

We expect less, we pay more. Tech consumers in a nutshell.

There's nothing to insult, you barely know anything about it.

Totally accurate.

Have a good day, anyway. Wish we could do this without people personally insulting others. Not something I see a lot on GAF, but meh. I guess I wasn’t being the nicest either.

Not the point. The point is that you continue to toss it around as some kind of "Trust Me, Bro" mark of authority while you spout factually incorrect nonsense. It's blatantly obvious that you haven't worked a day in this industry, and everything you post below is straight up fan fiction.

This unironically reads like what a 16 year old on a diet of hash brownies thinks working in the video game industry is like. "Like Bruh. You totally go to like...E3 and stuff, and then you go meet up and talk projects, and then like.. one day you manage a team, but bruh, they just pay for your flight and everything dude". Nobody who actually works in the gaming industry would begin by describing their job as "Going to conferences".

Ok man.

Sure. I literally offered to send EL my credentials if he request them, though I would have to figure out wtf I still have available after 9ish years out. I have been here a long time. Why would I lie about it? Internet cool points? I literally talked about it extensively not being a glamour job.

Your critique of it actually shows how well you *dont* know it, conferences =/= E3, exclusively. At all. Many of them were business conferences, crap I sat in a room of 100 other people from the industry in similar positions, and listened to “x” head of “x”, since part of what I did was marketing, at least to simplify it. Gaming related stuff, was legit a 2 hour discussion of how GTA changed the industry in the ps2 era, causing mass consolidation in the ps3 era, leading to the, soon to release, ps4 era having production problems as studios were attempting to overspend to catch up to GTA, which was delaying development time, and putting studios of out business if they failed with the massively growing budgets. We got pretty graph charts and numbers, and then we studied that for a while, all to get to the point which was that indies were a way for smaller entry into the market, the company I was with was working with a team on an indie title… I can probably at this point be a little more specific… that was a party game featuring extreme sports (skating, bikes, etc).

And somehow, that game - this indie idea that never came to fruition (to my knowledge), was worthy of us sitting in a conference and studying GTA numbers and industry rising cost of development. Lol.

It’s almost too ridiculous I am not sure how you would think I am making it up. But hey, whatever.

Again, that stuff makes up… generously saying maybe 2%, at least in my position. And they aren’t all fun. Wish it was “e3 and stuff” and not the reality, however again, this did allow me a lot of networking and meeting others in the industry.

It’s fine. As you don’t believe me, I guess I shouldn’t care what some random on GAF thinks I did or didn’t do. It really isn’t important.

Sorry if I came off a certain way last night, as I eluded to, I’m dealing with a few things and that put me in… an area where I was probably more combative than needed.

I am arguing this mostly from personal disappointment in the industry, less from business standpoint. Other share similar feelings, I’m not alone - but obviously on a gaming forum, most people probably don’t agree. I am more cynical today of the industry than ever, probably doesn’t help.

Have a good day.

Its not anti-consumer to make a new product.

As long as games exist, its perfectly fine. The only reason they do this is because gamers care about hypothetical power more than they care about games.
Sony are just more than happy to oblige and give them what they keep asking for.

I literally clarified in the next post it wasn’t a good use of the term. I also expanded a bit on why I felt that way. I really wish there was more optimization of the current consoles before they moved to the next to simply make a buck. That’s all.

Have a good day.

Ha, I typically like you over the years DE, so I will brush off the shot against me and take my feelings like a big boy.

I clarified in the next post it was not a good use of the term.

I was in a bit… of a place last night.

None the less, I still wish they would have focused more on the current consoles, like people have pointed out other than me. We haven’t really had the banger exclusive like UC4 to show off the power before they moved the hardware to a stronger point. Just disappointed in the current trajectory.

You talk about this like it's something recently introduced, or specific to Sony and MS.
Modern consoles have been doing this for 15 years, with Nintendo first introducing us to the concept back in 2008.

But it does seem that only recently people have begun complaining about 'outdated' base SKUs if there's an upgrade out - wonder why...

I literally mention it’s an industry thing, not a PlayStation thing.

Anti consumer to offer people options of a product that we love?

By your own admission they arent near hitting the full potential of the current PS5 so its good to go for several years yet so how is it bad they are offering a totally optional console?

I for one am very deep into Hell Let Loose on my PS5 and a certain maps that game really chugs hard I will drop $1000 on pro consoles for that game alone if it helps frames

And not starting over from scratch to play on my PC

I have clarified above, I think. The best I can. It was not the best use of the term, no doubt - but I do think it’s largely a net negative for consumers because of their worry to make a new skew and more money rather than putting out hardware to push the base.

Just my .02, as with any post

Sorry if I sounded combative,

Have a great day man.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Well it’s easy to understand. If a pro model happens PS5 will be the weaker console and the Pro will be better. How is that not the same concept as Series S/X? Besides digital foundry claims Microsoft said the X was their mid gen refresh.

Because Microsoft's "mid gen refresh" came out at launch and isn't any more powerful in practice than Sony's base model PS5, while the PS5 pro will actually be what a "mid gen refresh" is supposed to be because it's more powerful. This is why it's not the same concept. Because we know how time works.

I always took that as something they did because there are simply more people interested in PS5 comparisons.

Well, that could also be the reason why, fair enough.

It's just that we've also seen people from DF say that's either always dismissing/downplaying good things about PS (like the PS5 Pro stuff Alex said which DeepEnigma DeepEnigma mentioned). Or turning into ABK acquisition cheerleaders/buying into propaganda against PlayStation (like John did on Twitter...and then complained about getting focused on by people calling him out for it).

So them doing the PS5 comparisons to PC is just a convenient bonus for them in my eyes. And still doesn't answer why they explicitly do it as 'PS5 vs Windows 10/11' instead of 'PS5 vs PC' or even 'PS5 vs Steam' (at least PC gamers actually care about Steam as a service & storefront). Plus you can technically play the games on Linux, but DF never do any of their PC tests against PS5 on Linux systems.

I think it's increasingly clear why they do it they way they do.

People will buy it and its not targeting the casual, 21 voters in here and 62% say for sure
tihHao7.png
Neogaf != The World

They just raised the price of the PS5. They won’t back down from that, so the pro will be significantly more expensive.

I don’t see this becoming a success story. But hey, I’m not a high up at Sony, so they probably know better.

PeteBull

So how many Tflops we talkin?
We can guess if its coming holiday 2024 it should be roughly around 2x stronger from base ps5, so around 20tflops, maybe bit more? They might be counteded differently too but in laymans terms if ps5pr0 is strong enough to run games looking like in fidelity mode but with fps of performance mode, then we basically gonna get best of both words, highly likely we gonna get more ssd space too, last 2,5 years ssd prices went down nicely and in next 1,5 years they will go down even more, so we should fully expect 2tb ssd =D

Fredrik

Nice excuse for lazy devs to say: hey, if you want to run our unoptimized game with more Stable 60fps, Just get the pro
Would you rather play the unoptimized games we’re already getting even without Pro consoles?
I loved Xbox One X. Powerful and silent. If I can get 60fps in FF16 without waiting a year or whatever for a PC version then I’ll get the Pro, as long as they don’t go the fan lottery jet engine route again. I can sell the old PS5 or give it to the kids.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Part of the resources that make the PS5 Pro better, will make the PS6 better. PS5 Pro isn't holding back PS6 from being as good as it can be.

It's just part of the hardware development cycle.
It is an enhancement of the current HW, so no. It makes money for Sony as people think that the more frequently HW refreshes they buy the better the games become… Despite all evidence of the contrary… 🤷‍♂️.

JimRyanGOAT

It should be a 700+ Console

The base is still kicking strong, offering a 1-1.5X boost and then relying on some okay implementation of upscaling is decent

Like give me a 20Tflop console with a custom upscaling technique built into the hardware

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Neogaf != The World

They just raised the price of the PS5. They won’t back down from that, so the pro will be significantly more expensive.

I don’t see this becoming a success story. But hey, I’m not a high up at Sony, so they probably know better.
I don't think its meant to be a success story not do I believe there is no market for it

Its likely to be somewhere in the PS4 Pro numbers of 20% and it seems Sony is happy with that

And I do hope its a $700 or even a $1000 machine and worth it, lets make it a beefy console

Krieger

I'll get one as long as it can play actual PS5 games at 4k with 60FPS. I bought a LG C1 for that, but so far the only games I played at this mode are PS4 games which got a PS5 upgrade.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I literally mention it’s an industry thing, not a PlayStation thing.
You referenced Sony getting away with it thanks to MS. But the industry has been getting away with it back when MS was still everyone's champion, and Nintendo led that charge to great success (DSi accounted for around 80% of DS sales in the years after its release - far more than any Pro / X unit managed to date). What platform holder wouldn't be excited at the promise of increased MSRP *and* more sales in the later part of console's lives?

And it's not like this wasn't attempted before - it's just that GC and PS2 versions of it were both market failures, so not much to talk about there.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well, that could also be the reason why, fair enough.

It's just that we've also seen people from DF say that's either always dismissing/downplaying good things about PS (like the PS5 Pro stuff Alex said which DeepEnigma DeepEnigma mentioned). Or turning into ABK acquisition cheerleaders/buying into propaganda against PlayStation (like John did on Twitter...and then complained about getting focused on by people calling him out for it).

So them doing the PS5 comparisons to PC is just a convenient bonus for them in my eyes. And still doesn't answer why they explicitly do it as 'PS5 vs Windows 10/11' instead of 'PS5 vs PC' or even 'PS5 vs Steam' (at least PC gamers actually care about Steam as a service & storefront). Plus you can technically play the games on Linux, but DF never do any of their PC tests against PS5 on Linux systems.

I think it's increasingly clear why they do it they way they do.
HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 told us many times why. Just like when John got a script from the Gears 5 devs on what to say, and what buzzwords to use. They tried denying it initially, fanatics circled the wagons, only for him to come clean later saying that yes, they were handed a script on what to say for the "tech breakdown" (which is why they missed a bunch of the shortcomings they conveniently don't otherwise and for other first party titles on other platforms) and he tried to pass it off as a "time issue." :rolleyes:

Them sponsorship™ and first look™ dollars at work. Bringing them closer to the vest™ in the great internet platform wars.

Their narratives tune would be different if they were emailed in the PR inbox with Xbox XX "rumors" from a "totally anonymous source." Bet.

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

You referenced Sony getting away with it thanks to MS. But the industry has been getting away with it back when MS was still everyone's champion, and Nintendo led that charge to great success (DSi accounted for around 80% of DS sales in the years after its release - far more than any Pro / X unit managed to date). What platform holder wouldn't be excited at the promise of increased MSRP *and* more sales in the later part of console's lives?

And it's not like this wasn't attempted before - it's just that GC and PS2 versions of it were both market failures, so not much to talk about there.

I mentioned PS getting away with it, because since Jim Ryan took over, PS has somewhat reverted back to its cocky ways at the start of the ps3 era. Really started with Layden IMO.

Charging too much for peripherals and hardware (IMO), not a lot of substantial software (by most metrics, I think we can all somewhat agree this gen has been disappointing in game output), and releasing a newer version of something they barely scratched yet.

MS is just far, far worse.

So this time, Sony gets away with it a bit easier.

If I ranked my console allegiance, it would be PS-> Nintendo-> Xbox.

So I am not saying this stuff as an enemy of PlayStation. I just much enjoyed their output from ps1 to ps2, and then their resurgence from 2nd half of ps3 to ps4.

5, even as an owner, has been a bit disappointing. IMO.

But again, just my honest opinion. Maybe it isn’t for everybody, maybe some love the output, maybe some are so invested in console warring they convince themselves they do, too.

Who knows.

Last edited:

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
No they are not touching the I/O hardware of the original PS5, it's already the fastest on the market...

We should expect GPU + memory bandwidth upgrades like it happened with PS4 Pro...

I'm not sure what they can do with the CPU this time while keeping perfect compatibility with the Original hardware
I agree they can't touch the CPU it would differentiate too much from the base model.

I don't think its meant to be a success story not do I believe there is no market for it

Its likely to be somewhere in the PS4 Pro numbers of 20% and it seems Sony is happy with that

And I do hope its a $700 or even a $1000 machine and worth it, lets make it a beefy console

If they make a console that is WAY more powerful than the original then software itself becomes the bottleneck...

Devs won't utilise the power of a niche console that only 2% of people would buy... Base PS5 is always gonna be the main target

And this is a console that has to run ALL the SAME games of the standard PS5

It's a PS5 Pro, not a PS6

Last edited:
Top Bottom