• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor - Sony intends to acquire CD Projekt Red and Days Gone 2 in development

dEvAnGeL

Could not care less about the CDPR rumor. I play all their games on PC anyway. However i hope the Days Gone 2 rumor is true. The game writting was not strong for sure but the gameplay and world was incredible. And the ending. with O'Brien is amazing. Leaving it like that would be a shame.

Last edited:
If Microsoft and Activision fight the CMA all the way to next year, does that mean they can't make other acquisitions? If not, it means Sony can freely make acquisitions while microsofts hands are tied. Another reason why Microsoft should think hard about If its worth it to keep going with the Activision deal.
There’s nothing Sony can afford that is a threat to Microsoft. Especially anything Sony could take exclusive,

Last edited:

Rac3r

Didn’t Sony force Jeff Ross out and others because Days Gone fell short of expectations? Seems like a load of BS.

As for CDPR, no one involved in a potential acquisition is giving info to some Destiny leaker. Only the top brass are engaging in those discussions. That said, I can see why CDPR would be the next target for Sony. They check all the boxes in terms of IP, multimedia, PC, affordability, etc.

The rumor mill has been very hit or miss these days, even from reliable insiders. I’m not putting any stock in this.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
The sad reality of this forum. Everyone has magically acquired a law degree and has access to the corporate planning objectives from all companies.

People like you who have genuine connections to people in the know are obviously shills (depending on what you heard) haha.

I don't think anyone called HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 a shill, but yeah, some seem to have issues with his info for whatever reason. I don't get it. Either way, calling out "this forum" is out of place. Folks on forums like these often attempt to become more educated on the subject being discussed. That doesn't mean they are suddenly credentialed professionals in the subject. And....they don't have to be. If someone understands a financial report, for example, then they don't have to have a finance degree to discuss it. I read this take from others before I just find it strange.

DrFigs

it just seems like there would be massive stock market implications from this being leaked and it's unlikely that some guy on discord knew about it. and it's corny to boot to just make up rumors like this.

sachos

Days Gone 2 could be cool. CDPR acquisition? Fuck that. One of the last PC centric devs pushing PC gaming to its limits.

it just seems like there would be massive stock market implications from this being leaked and it's unlikely that some guy on discord knew about it. and it's corny to boot to just make up rumors like this.

What massive stock market implications are you referring to? CD Project Red isn't publicly traded, their parent company SA is

BlackTron

I wish they don't.
I want cdpr to be independent. Devs like that do wonders when they work alone outside of big influence.
Them and remedy are testimony what a talent can do without any restraining.

Their independence made my $5 physical copy of Cyberpunk possible. My vote, stay independent

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I thought CDPR was already beneath the umbrella of some much larger company?

Anyway, if true cool I guess. It seems like studios that Sony gobbles up end up thriving. So if it means better output from CDPR then great. It might mean an even faster track between console release to PC release if they intend on investing in GoG so that's would be a perk.

AmuroChan

What massive stock market implications are you referring to? CD Project Red isn't publicly traded, their parent company SA is

The name of the publicly traded entity is CD Projekt S.A. If Sony were to make this acquisition (which they won't), it would be acquiring the parent company, not just one of the CDPR subsidiaries.

CD Projekt S.A. owns the following subsidiaries:

GOG.com
CD Projekt Red
CD Projekt Red Wrocław
CD Projekt Red Cracow
CD Projekt Red Vancouver
Spokko
The Molasses Flood
CD Projekt Red North America

Last edited:
Days Gone 2 was always just a matter of time considering how much Sony loves it. They’ve promoted it numerous times in their financial reports, they’ve directly called it one of the best games of last gen, and have green lit a movie about it. Bend might have said no initially but Sony will still find ways to get it done. John Garvin also confirmed the sequels were already written before he left.
If Sony want a Days Gone 2, they doesn't neet to be Bend who are making it.

We know from the leaked document of SIE that Sumo is working on a open-world game (project Carbone) for PlayStation and they only work for them on existing IP for them. If it's true that Days gone 2 exist it could be Sumo who are making it.

Pretty impressive how one showcase can turn people around, but in reality...nothing will change. On the other hand, their competitor is a disaster for a whole decade and their showcase is their winning option???

Oh I agree. Xbox 'winning E3' is a joke. If they have an impressive showcase it won't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Just something to get the fans excited for and that's it. Delivering is another issue.

Someone said before that maybe Sony is playing their cards close to their chest with the last showcase. Saving the big guns for when they need it and to be honest looking at the market right now, they don't have a reason to come out guns blazing just yet.

I was let down by the Showcase but I'm sure they've got some bangers cooking. It was just disappointed having to wait 2 years for not much from PS Studios.

The name of the publicly traded entity is CD Projekt S.A. If Sony were to make this acquisition (which they won't), it would be acquiring the parent company, not just one of the CDPR subsidiaries.

CD Projekt S.A. owns the following subsidiaries:

GOG.com
CD Projekt Red
CD Projekt Red Wrocław
CD Projekt Red Cracow
CD Projekt Red Vancouver
Spokko
The Molasses Flood
CD Projekt Red North America

Why would it make more sense to buy out SA shares over making a private deal to purchase Red?

AmuroChan

Why would it make more sense to buy out SA shares over making a private deal to purchase Red?

Because CDPR is their major business asset. CD Projekt S.A. is not in any financial peril where they're trying to sell off their assets. If Sony wants CDPR and CD Projekt S.A. isn't selling, then their option is to try to acquire CD Projekt S.A. outright. It's like people who keep saying Sony should buy FromSoft. There's no business incentive for Kadokawa to sell their cash cow. If a company wants FromSoft, the path of least resistance is to acquire Kadokawa outright.

Thank goodness this is looking to be false. Would hate Sony to buy them!

Can we just close this topic please, it was a baseless rumor that has a 0% of happening. CDPR is worth over 8 billion and they are a publisher.
Achtually, CDPR are not a publisher. CD Projekt are. CDP Red is the development studio. CDP own GOG and CDP Red.

Last edited:
I don't want to see Sony or Microsoft buying publishers, the people invested in each platform gain nothing, they'd have had access to those games anyway.

L*][*N*K

Banned
By mid to late 2024 Sony would have acquired both CDPR and Square Enix, if not all at least most of their shares and this alone is going to be bigger for them than ABK would have been for Microsoft if they didn't do a such a good job blocking that as well, seriously this is amazing when it comes to the business side of things.

Mr.Phoenix

When will people learn that any and all rumors of acquisitions... have to by law, be false.

We can guess who may or may not be acquired... but if you see or hear any `leaks`? Just know they are false.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Geralt fucking ugly monsters with a penis because they deserve some happyness confirmed in W4 then.
You don’t want to see the Witcher X Goodbye Volcano High crossover??
23nxYhS.jpg

It’s about time The Witcher got a co-op Live Service anyway.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
On one hand I find it hard to believe Sony would buy CDPR so soon after Cyberpunk was lifted from their store due to its bad shape at release. I also don't see the developers of single player RPGs as all that interesting to Sony.

On the other hand I get that Sony would be trying to get their hands on whatever they could in case Activision got bought, and CDPR's shares have been "on sale" since Cyberpunk released.

Days gone 2 is dead giveaway, considering Sony is refusing to greenlight the project.
Especially with this news.
Jeff Ross went to Crystal Dynamics a while ago. If Days Gone 2 is being done, it's not with his involvement.

Gorgon

On one hand I find it hard to believe Sony would buy CDPR so soon after Cyberpunk was lifted from their store due to its bad shape at release. I also don't see the developers of single player RPGs as all that interesting to Sony.

On the other hand I get that Sony would be trying to get their hands on whatever they could in case Activision got bought, and CDPR's shares have been "on sale" since Cyberpunk released.

It will be interesting to Sony when MS releases (whenever that is) Starfield, Elder Scrolls 6, Fallout 5, Avowed, etc and PS-only owners are left with their dicks hanging.

yurinka

Ok, CD Projekt's PR debunked it and Sony already said in theif fiscal report that they moved their future acquisitions to the mid to long term and reduced their acquisitions and investments budget for this FY to $140-150M.

We can close the thread now.

It will be interesting to Sony when MS releases (whenever that is) Starfield, Elder Scrolls 6, Fallout 5, Avowed, etc and PS-only owners are left with their dicks hanging.
Their most recent big games were Elder Scrolls and Fallout turned into half baked, unpolished GaaS games that were a shadow of their past.

If they continue this trend PS-only owners won't miss these games if they go console exclusive or timed console exclusives.

Last edited:

Gorgon

Their most recent big games were Elder Scrolls and Fallout turned into half baked, unpolished GaaS games that were a shadow of their past.

If they continue this trend PS-only owners won't miss these games if they go console exclusive or timed console exclusives.

The problem of that logic is that you could say the same about Rockstar games almost verbatim:

"Rosckstar's most recent big games were RDR2, and GTA online turned into half baked, unpolished GaaS games that were a shadow of their past. If they continue this trend PS-only owners won't miss these games if they go console exclusive or timed console exclusives."

We'll see.

Last edited:
Top Bottom