• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sackboy: A Big Adventure reportedly found on SteamDB

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'm still waiting to see a single fact to back the claim that this game is Sackboy or to the release date of this Steam project.

All we know is that it has a folder called 'sumoqa' so people assume -and may be wrong- it's a game from Sumo, who has over half a dozen development studios and work for diferent publishers. The project had the marmalade and Steel PC codenames which aren't related to Sackboy, it could be anything.

All are weak assumptions, nothing proves this game is Sackboy. And even if it was Sackboy, this is just the Steam depot. It could stay there for years before being released.

You can still be on the denial train, but the Sony pc train is a comin and you stop it.......
God of War's sales will entice sony further and there will be no stopping it.

Skifi28

I wish the would also take the time to port older games to pc-ps4/5. Stuff like resistance, the God of War collection which is excellent and so many others. If you're doing ports at least do it right.

Porting uncharted 4 but not 1-3? What the hell is up with that? BRB watching a 3 hour fan made movie in order to fully enjoy the game I just bought.

Last edited:

yurinka

You can still be on the denial train, but the Sony pc train is a comin and you stop it.......
God of War's sales will entice sony further and there will be no stopping it.
Denial? You're in fantasy land if you are expecting to see Sony releasing their games day one or a few months later on PC outside maybe a few F2P MP focused GaaS titles. There are zero facts pointing to that. GoW will release on PC almost 4 years after its original PS launch.

Nothing in this Steam project leads to think it may be released anywhere soon, it just means it's a game under development. And there are zero facts that link it to Sackboy other than a folder named sumoqa, which leads to think it may be a Sumo game. But Sumo has a lot of studio and work for several publishers so even if it's a Sumo game it may be something else.

Porting uncharted 4 but not 1-3? What the hell is up with that?
I assume that to port 1 and a half PS4 games is faster and easier than to port 3 PS3 games. They may had their teams busy with other projects and didn't had enough time to make them on time for the movie so decided to port first U4 and leave collection for some time later, maybe for when the movie starts to get streamed.

Last edited:

cromofo

stealing this from "the other place":

- Sony will never port games to PC.
- Sony is porting the Quantic Dream games because it is an investor in Epic and the exclusivity money paid for development. Don't expect more ports.
- Sony is porting Horizon Zero Dawn because most of the work has been done on account of Death Stranding using the same engine and it wants to drum up interest in the sequel. Don't expect ports of anything released relatively recently.
- Sony is porting Days Gone because it underperformed. Don't expect ports of titles in a successful franchise, like Uncharted.
- Sony is porting Uncharted because it's dormant franchise. Don't expect ports of titles in a successful and active franchise, like God of War.
- Sony is porting God of War (2018) because it's not a cross-gen game. Don't expect ports of games that are also available on PS5.
- Sony is porting Sackboy because it is a cross-gen game. Don't expect ports of PS5 exclusives. <--- We are here.
- Sony is porting [PS5 exclusive] because [reason]. Don't expect day-one releases.
- I can't believe Sony is doing day-one releases! I'm cancelling my pre-orders! / I always suspected Sony's PC port initiative would culminate in day-and-date releases! I never said otherwise, no sir!

CitizenZ

Banned
Guess what stage you are in?
4zUopIB.jpg
I dont understand this reply. All i said in basic terms, if the initial statement was to difficult, real players dont care where it is released we just want good entertainment.

Last edited:

Notabueno

Banned
Pretty soon you'll find Horizon Forbidden West too.

giphy.gif

Unlikely, Sony's strategy is to have at least ONE exclusive per year, at launch there was nothing sure, but year one we got Ratchet (and Returnal as an AA), and next year...we get Forbidden West and...that's it.

On a more serious note, Sony's strategy seems to be publishing profitable high-tier PS4 titles and apparently PS5 on PC, and keep a few blockbusters exclusive like The Last of Us, Ratchet, Spider-Man or Horizon.

yurinka

The executable file is also called Marmalade.exe which is the project name for Sackboy Big Adventure
What is the source to say the codename of Sackboy was Marmalade? The Nvidia leak showed the normal Sackboy Big Adventure name, not Marmalade.

I'm still waiting to see a single fact to back the claim that this game is Sackboy or to the release date of this Steam project.

All we know is that it has a folder called 'sumoqa' so people assume -and may be wrong- it's a game from Sumo, who has over half a dozen development studios and work for diferent publishers. The project had the marmalade and Steel PC codenames which aren't related to Sackboy, it could be anything.

All are weak assumptions, nothing proves this game is Sackboy. And even if it was Sackboy, this is just the Steam depot. It could stay there for years before being released.
Oof...you got it bad.

giphy.gif

I mean sure there is a chance it's not Sackboy but, you are vehemently against even entertaining the possibility, however small, that it could in fact be that game. Could lead to a case of tunnel vision.

Ask yourself a year ago if you ever seriously considered God of War coming to PC, then ask yourself "well if God of War is now coming to PC and Sackboy is nowhere near as big a game and also was cross-gen, why could that not also potentially come to PC as well?"

Search inside and find your answers.

EDIT: Also FWIW GoW already follows that 3-year stagger model I was talking about earlier (2018 PS4, 2021 (early 2022?) PC) for their biggest games, something Sackboy A Big Adventure is not. So if that game came out November 2020 on PS4/PS5, sometime middle 2022 for PC would fall in line with what I'd expect for a game like that one.

...Assuming of course this is something Sony's actually doing with their 1P content in general going forward. Which, we don't know for sure yet and they'll probably never come right out and state that type of roadmap. You'd just have to be attentive and notice and the vast majority aren't upset with the PC ports to bother doing that in the first place.

Last edited:

Holammer

What is the source to say the codename of Sackboy was Marmalade? The Nvidia leak showed the normal Sackboy Big Adventure name, not Marmalade.
I posted this before, Barlow (again, post #19) linked to a Metacouncil thread from September where they examine the database.
This one, read the last bit

60ae1910-9a5f-4023-b731-a70f48650efd Sackboy: A Big Adventure / Sumo Digital Ltd. / PlayStation Mobile, Inc. -> sortName

• sackboy:a_big_adventure-_grs
  • project_marmalade_-_grs

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Ask yourself a year ago if you ever seriously considered God of War coming to PC, then ask yourself "well if God of War is now coming to PC and Sackboy is nowhere near as big a game and also was cross-gen, why could that not also potentially come to PC as well?"
Because people in denial play the see-saw game of answers.

1. If big games like Horizon and GOW come out first, the answer is Sackboy wont because it's a small budget low key game not worth the time.

2. If small scale games like Sackboy released first, then Horizon and GOW wont because it's too big and risky to the PS ecosytem.

There's always an answer pending which of side of the fence youre on. #2 is already done so the fallback plan is #1.

Last edited:
Because people in denial play the see-saw game of answers.

1. If big games like Horizon and GOW come out first, the answer is Sackboy wont because it's a small budget low key game not worth the time.

2. If small scale games like Sackboy released first, then Horizon and GOW wont because it's too big and risky to the PS ecosytem.

There's always an answer pending which of side of the fence youre on. #2 is already done so the fallback plan is #1.
Yeah, and it's sad they do this to themselves ngl. I mean I was surprised when they first started but now it should just be expected. IMO it's reasonable to still doubt they'll be doing Day 1 for anything that's not a multiplayer/F2P/GaaS type of title or (potentially) smaller 1P/3P co-funded exclusive niche games, but to think they'll be waiting several years to bring any of their games (PS4 or PS5) to PC over arbitrary reasons like "SSD I/O" or whatever is getting laughable at this point.

Again for business reasons there'll still probably (well, IMO for Sony's model should) be some 1-year to 3-year gap between console and PC for the biggest 1P games that aren't MP/F2P/GaaS or 3P exclusives (the FF XVI, Forespoken types etc.), but they're definitely going to be bringing PS5 non cross-gen games to PC within the same generation, that's an inevitability at this point. And it won't be long gaps like we're seeing with Uncharted 4 (5/6 years), more like the shorter GoW (3 years), Days Gone (1/2 year) or in some extreme cases Death Stranding (6 months) staggers, tho that last one will probably be super-rare for this generation.

The sooner some of the more hardcore holdouts can at least accept a possibility of these ports being more commonplace, the better it'll be for them.

Interfectum

- Sony is porting the Quantic Dream games because it is an investor in Epic and the exclusivity money paid for development. Don't expect more ports.
- Sony is porting Horizon Zero Dawn because most of the work has been done on account of Death Stranding using the same engine and it wants to drum up interest in the sequel. Don't expect ports of anything released relatively recently.
- Sony is porting Days Gone because it underperformed. Don't expect ports of titles in a successful franchise, like Uncharted.
- Sony is porting Uncharted because it's dormant franchise. Don't expect ports of titles in a successful and active franchise, like God of War.
- Sony is porting God of War (2018) because it's not a cross-gen game. Don't expect ports of games that are also available on PS5.
- Sony is porting Sackboy because it is a cross-gen game. Don't expect ports of PS5 exclusives. <--- We are here.
- Sony is porting [PS5 exclusive] because [reason]. Don't expect day-one releases.
- I can't believe Sony is doing day-one releases! I'm cancelling my pre-orders! / I always suspected Sony's PC port initiative would culminate in day-and-date releases! I never said otherwise, no sir!
something moms GIF

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

lol This is so true of experience dealing with gaffers over the last couple of years.

yurinka

I posted this before, Barlow (again, post #19) linked to a Metacouncil thread from September where they examine the database.
This one, read the last bit

p4Yeqh2.png

Yes, I saw that image and that forum thread but I don't get is why if both access to the same database info why one is getting codenames and the other one the real name.

Edit: I think this wok guy downloaded the Nvidia leak database some days after Ighor and some names were changed: some changed real name for a codename and viceversa.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah, and it's sad they do this to themselves ngl. I mean I was surprised when they first started but now it should just be expected. IMO it's reasonable to still doubt they'll be doing Day 1 for anything that's not a multiplayer/F2P/GaaS type of title or (potentially) smaller 1P/3P co-funded exclusive niche games, but to think they'll be waiting several years to bring any of their games (PS4 or PS5) to PC over arbitrary reasons like "SSD I/O" or whatever is getting laughable at this point.

Again for business reasons there'll still probably (well, IMO for Sony's model should) be some 1-year to 3-year gap between console and PC for the biggest 1P games that aren't MP/F2P/GaaS or 3P exclusives (the FF XVI, Forespoken types etc.), but they're definitely going to be bringing PS5 non cross-gen games to PC within the same generation, that's an inevitability at this point. And it won't be long gaps like we're seeing with Uncharted 4 (5/6 years), more like the shorter GoW (3 years), Days Gone (1/2 year) or in some extreme cases Death Stranding (6 months) staggers, tho that last one will probably be super-rare for this generation.

The sooner some of the more hardcore holdouts can at least accept a possibility of these ports being more commonplace, the better it'll be for them.
I think just about all PS games will come but as most people think, it'll have a time gap of years. Right now, the smallest time gap is Days Gone at 2 years. From there it goes all the way up to UC4 at 6 years by the time it's released.

They have a big back catalog to go through.

But if they ever do any future GAAS F2P kinds of games, I wouldnt be surprised if it came to PC day one.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I thik just about all PS games will come but as most people think, it'll have a time gap of years. Right now, the smallest time gap is Days Gone at 2 years. From there it goes all the way up to UC4 at 6 years by the time it's released.

They back a big back catalog to go through.

But if they ever do any future GAAS F2P kinds of games, I wouldnt be surprised if it came to PC day one.
I think theres a possibility Factions, if it ever comes out, will be on PC sooner rather than later. Playerbase matters on that one far more than any other their other titles.

I thik just about all PS games will come but as most people think, it'll have a time gap of years. Right now, the smallest time gap is Days Gone at 2 years. From there it goes all the way up to UC4 at 6 years by the time it's released.

They back a big back catalog to go through.

Pretty much where I am at on this. I think UC4 and, if/when it happens, Bloodborne are outliers simply due to the age of the games in question, but I think the sweet spot will be a (maximum) 3-year gap.

Really one of the only reasons I don't think there'll be Day 1 is because Sony are making money off PS5 console sales now (at least, the disc version. Dunno about Digital version). If those profit margins are good enough, say $25 - $50 per unit, then it's harder to ignore that yes, exclusive content to that platform will drive hardware sales to a large extent, so they'll still want a gap between console and PC for that reason alone for a lot of titles. Then there's the effect that can have in pushing 3P sales and marketing, sales of which on the platform Sony get a 30% cut from. That could be reduced by some amount if they go Day-and-Date with all of their games or the staggering between console and PC versions is too small for too many of the titles.

If their model were more like Microsoft's for example, where they aren't (reportedly) making money from console sales and seek to supplement some portion of console sales with game service subscriptions for multiple device types, etc., then we'd already be getting most Sony 1P Day 1 to PC if not all of them. Although I still have some reservations if that was necessarily the "best" move for Microsoft to do for the Xbox console specifically, but that's also just me speaking of it from the perspective of a console-centric gamer.

Business-wise things their strategy might soften percentages on, such as 3P software sales (affecting MS's income from the typical 30% cut on 3P games) are more than offset by pure net profits from virtually every other Microsoft division, and since to them Xbox is GamePass and GamePass is seen as an important pillar for them (particularly in relation to the cloud and services), they likely don't mind it one bit.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

I agree, that the trajectory looks like anything is possible now, but given how balanced the PS5 is, in regards of IO, decompression, fill-rate, compute - for software RT/GI - and even adequate HW RT for close range, what strategy will they most likely take for PS5 exclusives?

Do you think they will (1)just develop for the lowest PC common denominator - ignoring PS5 specs at the design stage - to maximise PC sales ?
Or do you think they will (2) custom design for PS5 - limiting PC market to PCs with RTX IO, RTX 3060TI and 8 core CPUs and better - encouraging more PS5 sales?
Or do you think they will (3) custom design for PS5, then degrade the PS5 version for porting to lower end PCs to maximise the market size?

Given the time frames being suggested, I would suspect they'd go with option 2, because failing to custom design for PS5 feels like they'd have wasted the opportunity to move the PC market forward, and betrayed the benefits of the closed system design with fixed specs.

Guilty_AI

Do you think they will (1)just develop for the lowest PC common denominator - ignoring PS5 specs at the design stage - to maximise PC sales ?
Or do you think they will (2) custom design for PS5 - limiting PC market to PCs with RTX IO, RTX 3060TI and 8 core CPUs and better - encouraging more PS5 sales?
Or do you think they will (3) custom design for PS5, then degrade the PS5 version for porting to lower end PCs to maximise the market size?
Answer: 2 and 3 at the same time. You can have a game that both takes advantage of latest hardware AND supports older ones. Biggest bottleneck would be games with obligatory ray tracing, in which case would require ray tracing ready cards, but overall a ps5 game that fully takes advantage of next gen features would most likely run in a rtx 2060 even if at lower settings. If RT isn't required, a gtx 1070/1080/16xx would probably do the job too, especially if its a game that aims for +1440p on the ps5.

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
I find it hilarious how thristy PC gamers are for PS exclusives.

Weren't these same gamers saying that they had plenty of games to play on PC beside PS exclusives? Same shit for Bloodborne lol
This is so wrong, PlayStation games on PC didn't even set the world on fire based on steam CCU.

Death Stranding and Days Gone have lower CCU than Monster Hunter Stories 2 lol. Tales of Arise has more CCU than HZD.

PaintTinJr

Answer: 2 and 3 at the same time. You can have a game that both takes advantage of latest hardware AND supports older ones. Biggest bottleneck would be games with obligatory ray tracing, in which case would require ray tracing ready cards, but overall a ps5 game that fully takes advantage of next gen features would most likely run in a rtx 2060 even if at lower settings. If RT isn't required, a gtx 1070/1080/16xx would probably do the job too, especially if its a game that aims for +1440p on the ps5.
Options 2 and 3 are mutually exclusive options. You either design around the lowest common denominator, or design around the PS5's REYES(render everything your eyes see) capability - outlined by Cerny in the Road to PS5 GDC talk - which means a system with an RTX IO co-processor and nvme ssd with 5.5GB/s read speed or better, plus a GPU with enough fill-rate and compute, and hw RT to use compute for the decompression - to match the IO complex - and still render cinematics or game visuals with HW and SW RT like the PS5 can - simultaneously.

I recently wasted just under £500 on a rather mediocre RTX 3060 to run UE5 and I don't think it measures up at all well to the PS5 - as no change in lower settings made handling the megascans any easier - so all those other cards you mentioned will be nowhere close, especially when taking some compute of an RTX GPU to do the RTX IO streaming decompression - which only the RTX 2060 and better will support. And if PlayStation first party games also exploiting the cache scrubbers in the PS5 for REYES, then even a 3060 ti or 3070 might not easily overlap the PS5 for ports, either IMO.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Options 2 and 3 are mutually exclusive options. You either design around the lowest common denominator, or design around the PS5's REYES(render everything your eyes see) capability - outlined by Cerny in the Road to PS5 GDC talk - which means a system with an RTX IO co-processor and nvme ssd with 5.5GB/s read speed or better, plus a GPU with enough fill-rate and compute, and hw RT to use compute for the decompression - to match the IO complex - and still render cinematics or game visuals with HW and SW RT like the PS5 can - simultaneously.

I recently wasted just under £500 on a rather mediocre RTX 3060 to run UE5 and I don't think it measures up at all well to the PS5 - as no change in lower settings made handling the megascans any easier - so all those other cards you mentioned will be nowhere close, especially when taking some compute of an RTX GPU to do the RTX IO streaming decompression - which only the RTX 2060 and better will support. And if PlayStation first party games also exploiting the cache scrubbers in the PS5 for REYES, then even a 3060 ti or 3070 might not easily overlap the PS5 for ports, either IMO.
Dude, you could have just said "i have no idea how any of this shit works" and i would've understood

I agree, that the trajectory looks like anything is possible now, but given how balanced the PS5 is, in regards of IO, decompression, fill-rate, compute - for software RT/GI - and even adequate HW RT for close range, what strategy will they most likely take for PS5 exclusives?

Given the time frames being suggested, I would suspect they'd go with option 2, because failing to custom design for PS5 feels like they'd have wasted the opportunity to move the PC market forward, and betrayed the benefits of the closed system design with fixed specs.
Well, it really depends on what we mean by "custom design" and then ask if what's custom to PS5 is of no equivalent on the PC side of things. Because truthfully, in terms of API features, and CPU/GPU featuresets as a whole, even in terms of I/O API features, everything the PS5 does has an equivalent in some form on PC in terms of comparable SDK APIs, GPU featuresets, etc. It's not like there's anything revolutionary being done with the PS5 in a hardware sense that isn't supported by modern-era CPUs and GPUs WRT featuresets, and the I/O features of the system can be replicated through other combinations of hardware & software, like using the CPU or GPU for types of data decompression and the (slowly-coming) advent of API stacks like DirectStorage next year.

Truth is they don't need to develop for lowest-common denominator PCs because the LCD is always scaling upwards. A couple years ago the most common LCD for GPU cards was the 1060 IIRC according to Steam survey, which was basically a PS4 Pro, and that came out in 2016 (same year as PS4 Pro). In fact given the architecture differences it was more powerful than a PS4 Pro in terms of TF and certain other areas like pixel fillrate, and it's still the most popular GPU among dedicated GPUs for Steam gamers. Going by that example, it probably won't be that much longer until a decent portion of the PC players who'd buy these Sony games on storefronts like Steam have GPUs comparable to what's in a PS5, probably in systems with better CPUs to boot, and DirectStorage being active by then.

So the thing is, Sony's 1P are still going to target PS5 hardware for the baseline. However, most things are relatively easy to pare down through various settings, not just textures but also things like NPC counts, model density, physics systems, AI routines etc. Not all are scalable to the same rate, but there's flexibility. The same goes for how the games handle data I/O because, again, it comes down to the featuresets and there's no feature in PS5's I/O that doesn't have an equivalent in other environments on PC, even if the hardware to run the features and APIs to expose them might differ depending on user setup.

I suppose you can call that "custom design" in terms of the whole package but that "package" can be replicated through various means on PC. If the user doesn't have a fast enough SSD for example, they'd just probably have more system RAM that could serve a similar purpose. If their GPU doesn't have cache scrubbers, well that ultimately may not matter if their GPU has way more cache and runs just as fast, is faster, or has a notably wider design (because I suspect PS5 uses patrol cache scrubbing which would mean it's not the application itself doing it but something the OS is doing in the background when there is timing and resources available to engage it). Basically, stuff like that.

But, they'll always use their own PS5 spec as the target platform in terms of optimizing the experience, and if the majority of games are still having staggered releases anyway (1-year to 3-year, most likely), it gives them time to have a team optimize the game for PC, decide what setting can be lowered and how in order to open the game up for more system configs on PC while keeping general track of where the iGPU, dGPU, and CPU markets will be trending (that way they can assume what absolute minimum baselines there'll be, including which ones will likely be standard for core gamers on PC.

PaintTinJr

Well, it really depends on what we mean by "custom design" and then ask if what's custom to PS5 is of no equivalent on the PC side of things. Because truthfully, in terms of API features, and CPU/GPU featuresets as a whole, even in terms of I/O API features, everything the PS5 does has an equivalent in some form on PC in terms of comparable SDK APIs, GPU featuresets, etc. It's not like there's anything revolutionary being done with the PS5 in a hardware sense that isn't supported by modern-era CPUs and GPUs WRT featuresets, and the I/O features of the system can be replicated through other combinations of hardware & software, like using the CPU or GPU for types of data decompression and the (slowly-coming) advent of API stacks like DirectStorage next year.

Truth is they don't need to develop for lowest-common denominator PCs because the LCD is always scaling upwards. A couple years ago the most common LCD for GPU cards was the 1060 IIRC according to Steam survey, which was basically a PS4 Pro, and that came out in 2016 (same year as PS4 Pro). In fact given the architecture differences it was more powerful than a PS4 Pro in terms of TF and certain other areas like pixel fillrate, and it's still the most popular GPU among dedicated GPUs for Steam gamers. Going by that example, it probably won't be that much longer until a decent portion of the PC players who'd buy these Sony games on storefronts like Steam have GPUs comparable to what's in a PS5, probably in systems with better CPUs to boot, and DirectStorage being active by then.

So the thing is, Sony's 1P are still going to target PS5 hardware for the baseline. However, most things are relatively easy to pare down through various settings, not just textures but also things like NPC counts, model density, physics systems, AI routines etc. Not all are scalable to the same rate, but there's flexibility. The same goes for how the games handle data I/O because, again, it comes down to the featuresets and there's no feature in PS5's I/O that doesn't have an equivalent in other environments on PC, even if the hardware to run the features and APIs to expose them might differ depending on user setup.

I suppose you can call that "custom design" in terms of the whole package but that "package" can be replicated through various means on PC. If the user doesn't have a fast enough SSD for example, they'd just probably have more system RAM that could serve a similar purpose. If their GPU doesn't have cache scrubbers, well that ultimately may not matter if their GPU has way more cache and runs just as fast, is faster, or has a notably wider design (because I suspect PS5 uses patrol cache scrubbing which would mean it's not the application itself doing it but something the OS is doing in the background when there is timing and resources available to engage it). Basically, stuff like that.

But, they'll always use their own PS5 spec as the target platform in terms of optimizing the experience, and if the majority of games are still having staggered releases anyway (1-year to 3-year, most likely), it gives them time to have a team optimize the game for PC, decide what setting can be lowered and how in order to open the game up for more system configs on PC while keeping general track of where the iGPU, dGPU, and CPU markets will be trending (that way they can assume what absolute minimum baselines there'll be, including which ones will likely be standard for core gamers on PC.
I'm not saying that expensive PCs can't overlap a fully custom designed software use of the PS5 right now, and offer more - well when directstorage/rtx io gets released. But if you can't get a PC below £750 in the next five years to fit that requirement, then the market for selling custom designed PS5 exclusive ports to PC wouldn't really exist in any numbers - unless they designed for the lowest common denominator PC - around the 6 core, Core i5, 1060 and SATA SSD without hardware decompression.

That's my real concern about PS5 games coming to PC, is that the architectural advances - in lowering latency, monstrous decompression and read bandwidth on PS5 - will all be ignored as required specs at the design phase - despite pitching the console on those strengths - and we will be in this nasty UE4 bolt-on RT cross-gen limbo for the entire generation.

ACESHIGH

Banned
That's my real concern about PS5 games coming to PC, is that the architectural advances - in lowering latency, monstrous decompression and read bandwidth on PS5 - will all be ignored as required specs at the design phase - despite pitching the console on those strengths - and we will be in this nasty UE4 bolt-on RT cross-gen limbo for the entire generation.

Yet most of the catalog in a console is and will be comprised of indie games that can run on a QQ6600 8GB RAM and 750ti.

PS5 games will run fine on your average gaming PC at 1080p. All extra power will be wasted on higher resolutions, frame rate and ray tracing. Hard to go back to 30 fps now that most console games have a 60 or more FPS mode. And display resolution it's only going up.

Brofist

And we're pumping through those points quickly now, last 3 came in the last week

Last edited:

Banned

the 9 stages of fanboy grief

PaintTinJr

Yet most of the catalog in a console is and will be comprised of indie games that can run on a QQ6600 8GB RAM and 750ti.

PS5 games will run fine on your average gaming PC at 1080p. All extra power will be wasted on higher resolutions, frame rate and ray tracing. Hard to go back to 30 fps now that most console games have a 60 or more FPS mode. And display resolution it's only going up.
But what I was discussing was clearly about first part exclusives - no indie games.

And target frame-rate won't change what I said. If anything going by how my 12 core xeon and RTX 3060 handles Land of the Ancient - with no way to scale to 60fps from the options available in UE5 - the PS5 efficiency with cache scrubbing, low latency and high bandwidth decompression will make it even higher than expected PC specs to overlap and better it in those circumstances.

The value proposition of PC vs consoles doesn't exist anymore.

vkbest

I'm sure Sony weeps at the prospect of selling millions additional of copies of their games on a platform that doesn't directly compete with theirs.

Well, maybe now they are not competing directly, but doesn't forget, Steam is making a portable, and probably we will watch custom Steam consoles with price and hardware similar to next gen consoles on 2 or 3 years. Then why you would choose PSN over Steam? when you can get access to XBOX games, PS games and some exclusive PC titles? and no need to pay PSN+ or Xbox Live

This strategy will kill slowly Playstation and consoles in general. That is because MS is trying to push GP.

I don't know but risk your own PSN store and business to get a 70% every unit from Steam users? Don't think is a good long run strategy.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

And target frame-rate won't change what I said. If anything going by how my 12 core xeon and RTX 3060 handles Land of the Ancient - with no way to scale to 60fps from the options available in UE5 - the PS5 efficiency with cache scrubbing, low latency and high bandwidth decompression will make it even higher than expected PC specs to overlap and better it in those circumstances.
🙄

Guilty_AI

Well, maybe now they are not competing directly, but doesn't forget, Steam is making a portable, and probably we will watch custom Steam consoles with price and hardware similar to next gen consoles on 2 or 3 years.
They already tried that last gen (steam machines), didn't work.

Interfectum

They already tried that last gen (steam machines), didn't work.
Is this how you live your life? You fail once and throw in the towel?

Steam Machines was a great idea with bad execution. Steam Deck is a great idea with seemingly great execution. There's nothing stopping them from taking the Steam Deck idea and moving it to a "Steam Deck Console" and seeing success.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Is this how you live your life? You fail once and throw in the towel?

Steam Machines was a great idea with bad execution. Steam Deck is a great idea with seemingly great execution. There's nothing stopping them from taking the Steam Deck idea and moving it to a "Steam Deck Console" and seeing success.
No need to get all philosophical mate. Part of the reason it failed was because there was no point to it. Why get some weird machine 2 when you can just buy a pre-built pc?

Last edited:

Interfectum

No need to get all philosophical mate. Part of the reason it failed was because there was no point to it. Why get some weird machine 2 when you can just buy a pre-built pc?
You could argue there's no point to Steam Deck as well. Why not just get a laptop?

We know the answer. Quality of life, form factor and plug n play.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

You could argue there's no point to Steam Deck as well. Why not just get a laptop?

We know the answer. Quality of life, form factor and plug n play.
Only thing at play with the Deck is form factor. Everything else works exactly as it would with any other pc/laptop.

Form factor isn't much of an issue when dealing with desktops (especially considering cases are getting more compact and normal consoles are already pretty big themselves) so we start seeing why a steam machine 2 would still remain pointless.

reksveks

The bit around the steam deck we don't know is how Valve plan to scale production.

If oems, they need to find a commercial model that allows themselves to make revenue whilst selling devices at around 0% margin

If themselves, they need to work on producing at more of these devices.

Last edited:

Interfectum

Only thing at play with the Deck is form factor. Everything else works exactly as it would with any other pc/laptop.

Form factor isn't much of an issue when dealing with desktops (especially considering cases are getting more compact and normal consoles are already pretty big themselves) so we start seeing why a steam machine 2 would still remain pointless.
Nah.

Steam OS 3.0 brings with it native controller usage and suspend/resume... two crucial elements for handheld and TV gaming. Coupling together a small form factor PC/console with a controller and custom OS would open Steam up to an audience that may not be interested in building their own PC or having a mouse / kb beside them to navigate Windows.

btw, I have a PC hooked up to my main TV for gaming. I wouldn't recommend anyone do it besides tech savvy people. It's not near as clean as having a console hooked up and something like a Steam Deck Console could bridge that gap.

Last edited:

This should be a copy pasta for every Sony port to PC.

Interfectum

The bit around the steam deck we don't know is how Valve plan to scale production.

If oems, they need to find a commercial model that allows themselves to make revenue whilst selling devices at around 0% margin

If themselves, they need to work on producing at more of these devices.
If I had to guess they would make more of they could but Valve is probably at the back of the line for chips when it comes to mobile and gaming devices.

Guilty_AI

Nah.

Steam OS 3.0 brings with it native controller usage and suspend/resume... two crucial elements for handheld and TV gaming. Coupling together a small form factor PC/console with a controller and custom OS would open Steam up to an audience that may not be interested in building their own PC or having a mouse / kb beside them to navigate Windows.

btw, I have a PC hooked up to my main TV for gaming. I wouldn't recommend anyone do it besides tech savvy people. It's not near as clean as having a console hooked up and something like a Steam Deck Console could bridge that gap.
You can install steam OS 3.0 on any machine, so whatever feature it may have can be used on normal PCs, not to mention a lot of them will probably also be implemented on the client itself.

Also, you dont need to be tech savy to hook up a pc to a tv. Its literally just connecting a cable, and maybe readjusting the resolution if it doesn't automatically. A laptop is even easier as the hdmi port isn't being used and it can be carried around everywhere.

I find it hilarious how thristy PC gamers are for PS exclusives.

Weren't these same gamers saying that they had plenty of games to play on PC beside PS exclusives? Same shit for Bloodborne lol
Thirsty for saving $500? Who wouldn’t be
These games should be dropping day and days anyway.

LMAO, only "Sony is just porting old games" is missing somewhere in the middle

PaintTinJr

Yeah I agree with that, specially after pay to play online is a thing in consoles.
Yeah, I don't support that either, and have only done it for this first year of PS5 because of the PS5 collection being a decent number of rentals I hadn't played, and I certainly won't be subscribing for the generation, as many esports/f2p are now seemingly free-online even on console.

But your reaction seems to be painting my comment as a PC vs Console, when on a hardware-basis - in context of chip shortages, scalpers and price gouging on GPUs - a PS5/XsX represent unbelievable technical specs for the price - unlike the start of the previous gen - and the situation might get even worse on PC before it gets better.

PaintTinJr

Well that's packaged - I was running without the editor, but not packaged - and that is running at 50% scale (that he needed a console command to achieve) so its 50% of 1920x1080p resolution according to the comment the author made.

If running with reduce lumen lighting and at 960x540(?) is acceptable now on PC to run PS5 first party REYES game ports - while still needing an RTX IO and Samsung 980 Pro nvme, which a 1060 doesn't support, and a lot of compute from the GPU too to provide ~5GB/s decompression for PS5 designed REYES games- then I take your point about not needing to cater for lowest common denominator, it will all just scale down.

Top Bottom