• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scarlett Johansson offered lead role in Ghost in the Shell live action film

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Motoko Kusanagi is going to become Monica Kuskowski.

These guns ripping themselves apart would have been great!

111611579.gif

This is the best god damned idea I've read on GAF in a very long time. Fuck Scarlett Johansson.

Loofy

Scarjo's a decent choice, but if I had it my way, I would had choice the actress that played "GoGo" in Kill Bill volume 1.

http://i.imgur.com/0beO1uKl.jpg[/IMG[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/w7XOn1Il.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]She definitely has the nose for it.
[QUOTE][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/72yYj9C.jpg
UhRVRQz.jpg

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I don't get how these are Asians:
the-puppet-master.jpg

517584466_fabc4285c1_z.jpg

batou%5B5%5D.jpg

Is it confirmed? This reminds me of when the live action DBZ was cast and it got clarified that there wasn't an assigned race for the DBZ characters despite audience outrage over their interpretation of the characters as Asian.

EDIT: Isn't anime supposed to be a nondescript spin of European and Asian appearance, often considered to use features common of white people?

Is this one of those "anime characters look white to me" things?

bobawesome

Please don't turn anime into live action films. Especially one as amazing as Ghost in the Shell. It really worked well for Kite.

Kain

the-puppet-master.jpg

517584466_fabc4285c1_z.jpg

batou%5B5%5D.jpg

Is it confirmed? This reminds me of when the live action DBZ was cast and it got clarified that there wasn't an assigned race for the DBZ characters despite audience outrage over their interpretation of the characters as Asian.

EDIT: Isn't anime supposed to be a nondescript spin of European and Asian appearance, often considered to use features common of white people?

I'm pretty sure they were all supposed to be japanese, so yeah. Maybe occidental Batou could work, though.

I feel the only series that could be well translated to live action with occidental actors is Black Lagoon. And it would be awesome too.

ZoddGutts

That is so good. No one would be better.

But but he's not asian! You can't hire him!

Anyways. Wonder how people will react on gaf when all the Attack on Titan characters in the live action Japanese film is played by Japanese people.

The most recent anime I can think of were characters actually look Japanese was Flower of Evil, which got some flack for not looking like their manga more caucasian looking counterparts.

Ping Pong also too which stayed true to the manga art style. Their the only one's I can think of.

SkyOdin

You're probably just used to asian characters being marked by clear, discernible ethnic characteristics. That is because in most western art, "white" is seen as the default: lacking special characteristics. In contrast, other ethnicities are given stereotypical appearances with stereotypcial characteristics.

Now in Japanese anime, the people making it are Japanese and thus see themselves as the "default". It is the Americans and Europeans who ascribed stereotypical appearances to differentiate them. If you watch an anime series and see a tall, over-weight man with a gigantic nose, blond hair, and blue eyes, you are looking at an American. Of course, this varies a lot from artist to artist, but the trends are there.

In those three images you linked, Makoto is very definitely Japanese by anime standards, since she has dark hair and no really out-standing stereotypical features. Batou is a different matter.

To turn the question around, what features would you expect a character to have in order to be convinced that they are "asian" in animation?

Member876

Banned
As much as I love Berserk there is no way in hell anyone would dare to adapt it to live action without massive changes and censorship.

How come? Berserk doesn't have anything that HBO hasn't already done. Well, maybe demon rape scene would need adjustments.

Kain

How come? Berserk doesn't have anything that HBO hasn't already done. Well, maybe demon rape scene would need adjustments.

Horse rape, demon and tentacle rape, troll rape...

Besides the special effects would have to be top tier to do the manga justice.

Haly

The most recent anime I can think of were characters actually look Japanese was Flower of Evil, which got some flack for not looking like their manga more caucasian looking counterparts.

It... was rotoscoped.

Crocodile

I have no idea why Hollywood is so insistent on white washing properties like this. They got popular in part because of their Non-American casts and locales. If you don't think you can make a GITS movie for 200 million with a East Asian Actress (are you even giving it an honest try though?) aim for a 100 or 50 million dollar budget. Name recognition + good movie should do well even if it isn't some super summer blockbuster.

Member876

Banned
Horse rape, demon and tentacle rape, troll rape...

Besides the special effects would have to be top tier to do the manga justice.
Yeah, my bad, I was thinking anime to live action. Anime had lot less rape and monsters so it could actually be turned into decent live-action show.

I have no idea why Hollywood is so insistent on white washing properties like this. They got popular in part because of their Non-American casts and locales. If you don't think you can make a GITS movie for 200 million with a East Asian Actress (are you even giving it an honest try though?) aim for a 100 or 50 million dollar budget. Name recognition + good movie should do well even if it isn't some super summer blockbuster.

Name a Asian female that can carry their own big budget film off of their name alone?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
But but he's not asian! You can't hire him!

Anyways. Wonder how people will react on gaf when all the Attack on Titan characters in the live action Japanese film is played by Japanese people.

Ping Pong also too which stayed true to the manga art style. Their the only one's I can think of.

You seriously think that characters in a majority of anime shows, which are mostly set in Japan, are caucasian? Its more like you are projecting.

DOWN

Banned
Is this one of those "anime characters look white to me" things?

Um no. They just don't look like they are Japanese. Anime looks pretty stylized to me, but the often big eyes, variety of eye colors, almost nonexistent noses, and extremely varied hair colors are just some of the things that make it unclear to me how they have a definite race other than being told they do. Otherwise it's something I'm unaware of that the nationality of anime is simply wherever it was drawn to whoever drew it. I just don't get the confirmed race thing when they don't look Japanese or even Asian to me in many cases in the film.

ZoddGutts

You seriously think that characters in a majority of anime shows, which are mostly set in Japan, are caucasian? Its more like you are projecting.

That's not my point DERP. But that they look/drawn white.

Um no. They just don't look like they are Japanese. Anime looks pretty stylized to me, but the often big eyes, variety of eye colors, almost nonexistent noses, and extremely varied hair colors are just some of the things that make it unclear to me how they have a definite race other than being told they do. Otherwise it's something I'm unaware of that the nationality of anime is simply wherever it was drawn to whoever drew it. I just don't get the confirmed race thing when they don't look Japanese or even Asian to me in many cases in the film.

lupinko

They should just 100% white wash everything, it works just fine and is less stupid.

Look at All You Need Is Kill, you know Cruisemissile's Edge of Tomorrow.

kasane

All these talks of berserk live action

I would literally cry tears if somebody adapted berserk with a high budget and if they had the balls not to change a lot of scenes

But then again i maybe disturbed if its in live action format

Crocodile

That's not my point DERP. But that they look/drawn white.

They look white TO YOU (and me to be fair). That is the point that HK-47 is trying to drill into your head. In the absence of more realistic or distinguishing characters (which is very dependent of the artstyle of the author and how much they want to mirror or stress real world ethnicity) the default ethnicity for those sorts of characters is Japanese. Those characters look Japanese to THEM because that is their default. They look Caucasian to US because that is our default.

Haly

There's a good essay on this subject actually.

Key points:
Japan, however, is not and never has been a European-dominated society. The Japanese are not Other within their own borders, and therefore drawn (or painted or sculpted) representations of, by and for Japanese do not, as a rule, include stereotyped racial markers. A circle with two dots for eyes and a line for a mouth is, by default, Japanese.

It should come as no surprise, then, that Japanese readers should have no trouble accepting the stylized characters in manga, with their small jaws, all but nonexistent noses, and famously enormous eyes as “Japanese.” Unless the characters are clearly identified as foreign, Japanese readers see them as Japanese, and it would never occur to most readers that they might be otherwise, regardless of whether non-Japanese observers think the characters look Japanese or not.

When non-Japanese characters appear in a manga in which most characters are Japanese, that character will be differentiated from the others with stereotyped racial markers of some kind. For example, a character of African descent may be shown with pronounced lips, frizzy hair, and shaded skin. A European character may be shown with a pronounced nose and jutting jaw.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I'm sick of the white washing too, but thinking the locale and ethnicity of the characters are somehow relevant to the overall story is preposterous.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Is Lightning Asian?

Since FFX I would say that the generic FF look has been consciously crafted to have traits that are half-asian/half-caucasian. Tidus is a blonde Okinawan, so that's pretty clearly half-white/half-Asian.

There are certain characters where it's less ambiguous. Snow is definitely Caucasian. Sazh is definitely black.

But if you had to put a gun to my head over Lightning (and Serah) and said "choose one", I'd say Asian. She is not far off from how Japanese see themselves. They really do not put emphasis on the distinctiveness of Asian eyes in their own self-image, and (despite what I said about blonde Tidus) hair color goes out the window in fantasy fiction.

DOWN

Banned
You're probably just used to asian characters being marked by clear, discernible ethnic characteristics. That is because in most western art, "white" is seen as the default: lacking special characteristics. In contrast, other ethnicities are given stereotypical appearances with stereotypcial characteristics.

Now in Japanese anime, the people making it are Japanese and thus see themselves as the "default". It is the Americans and Europeans who ascribed stereotypical appearances to differentiate them. If you watch an anime series and see a tall, over-weight man with a gigantic nose, blond hair, and blue eyes, you are looking at an American. Of course, this varies a lot from artist to artist, but the trends are there.

In those three images you linked, Makoto is very definitely Japanese by anime standards, since she has dark hair and no really out-standing stereotypical features. Batou is a different matter.

To turn the question around, what features would you expect a character to have in order to be convinced that they are "asian" in animation?

But then I find it confusing how features like an almost non-existent, often pointed nose, the variety of light eye colors being predominant on characters (including the film version of Makoto who they used bright blue eyes but even darker hair for), and often very light skin.

It just seems like while some things could have been stereotypes of Asian features (such as the earlier post suggesting that Caucasian noses often look more prominently drawn in anime due to the more outward bridge shape), but I feel the description of anime being a combination of European and Asian standards and features seems most accurate. I do not see how either race could be confirmed by visuals alone and that it would mean assuming the race based on the origin of the art style, rather than considering it wholly a style on its own.

Is Lightning Asian?

Again, she looks too stylized to have a confirmed race to me. I think I see the obvious mix of Asian and European features that have been blended into an art style, similar to Anime.

BocoDragon

But then I find it confusing how features like an almost non-existent, often pointed nose, the variety of light eye colors being predominant on characters (including the film version of Makoto who they used bright blue eyes but even darker hair for), and often very light skin.

Do you think Caucasians have lighter skin than Asians? I'm not sure that's true. Sounds like an assumption on your part.

And more to the point: Asian cultures have long valued light skin (and this is pre-European interaction), so to say that light skin = non-Asian is pretty silly, when light skin is a hallmark of Asian beauty standards. Even without concerns of Caucasian beauty, Japanese culture would seek and emphasize light skin in reality and fantasy.

This is a messy topic though ><

DOWN

Banned
Do you think Caucasians have lighter skin than Asians? I'm not sure that's true. Sounds like an assumption on your part.

And more to the point: Asian cultures have long valued light skin (and this is pre-European interaction), so to say that light skin = non-Asian is pretty silly, when light skin is a hallmark of Asian beauty standards.

This is a messy topic though ><

I don't know I was thinking about the common spectrum like:
irish_girl_sunbathing.jpg

So when paired with the other things listed that you didn't bold, it seems less clear that it is referring to the spectrum or predominant skintones of one race for certain. I realize Asians have a longtime valuing of pale skin (geisha makeup being one example), but to my knowledge it isn't a predominant feature of the population, which is more varied instead.

Tacitus_

I'm going to just repeat myself from the previous thread, but the nudity for opto-cam is in only the movie. The original manga doesn't have it, the animated series doesn't have it.

That said, the chick from Pacific Rim pls.

BocoDragon

I don't know I was thinking about the common spectrum like:
irish_girl_sunbathing.jpg

So when paired with the other things listed that you didn't bold, it seems less clear that it is referring to the spectrum or predominant skinniness of one race. I realize they have a longtime valuing of pale skin (geisha makeup being one example), but to my knowledge it isn't a predominant feature of the population, which is more varied instead.

1. I don't know if that's really true. I've been in Japan. I dated a Japanese girl for 3 years. They're generally pretty pale actually. Actually, I feel that Caucasians tend to be a bit more "rosy" with our flush cheeks and blushing and whatnot.

2. Regardless of the reality, that's their ideal of beauty. So saying "how come Japanese heroines are pale when they tend to be various hues?" is a little like saying "how come American heroines are fit when they tend to be chubby?".

Regardless of these details, accept the understanding that light skin in Japanese fantasy has almost 0% to do with being Caucasian. These are the features they'd be highlighting regardless of European influence. If you read it as "white", I guarantee you you are viewing it through an ethno-centric lens.

Now I really don't get the outrage.

You don't get the outrage in reaching for contrived reasons to make someone named "Motoko Kusanagi" a white character?

Again, I don't mind them doing an Edge of Tomorrow and moving the setting to a western one and renaming the characters. You can call her Margaret Kowalski if you want. But to say "character of Japanese ethnicity played by white person is okay!" doesn't sit right with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom