• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

She hulk trailer

EDMIX

Yeah, why would they think that??? STRANGE

Well...I don't see any of that as propaganda.

She is in a field that is mostly men and is expressing things that occur to her. It would be more weird if the show ignored all of that as if it didn't happen.

Thats like saying we have a show in South Side Chicago and I'm like "WOOOOW propaganda, look at them showing shootings to force an agenda".

Are you sure that is "propaganda?" are you sure they are not just showing what happens in those fields at times? My god, even look at the term "information, especially of a biased or misleading nature" What she is saying happens in that field, just like some cop in a show saying they get treated like shit sometimes or something, that isn't some "propaganda" by the left or right, that is expressing the character is dealing with a thing that factually goes on in real life. So...I got to agree with Hugare Hugare on this one. That scene isn't some massive smoking gun. Would be like showing us a scene where a family man is pumping gas and he complains about the prices and scream "PROPAGANDA" lol This is a fair game type thing and I get why they'd have her character say that as she is after all in a legal profession where its mostly men.

To me anyway, propaganda is when something goes out of its way, has nothing to do with the character or story or something to mislead or make up something that isn't true to have some other motive or something. She is a lawyer, she is a female, those things really do happen in that field. That isn't some wild thing, that is to be expected.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Many of my women friends express the same feelings... Some get catcalled and, if they ignore, some of the males get too aggressive. Women have actually been killed in those instances... Or worse.

And yes, males have done a lot of the things she says like explain stuff to her that she already knows even when they're in THE SAME PROFESSION. I've seen it. My women friends tell me they've been through it. I get where Jennifer Walters is coming from saying she can control her anger better than Bruce.

But I don't think she knows the abuse Bruce went through... And WHY he has a split in his personality when he becomes The Savage Hulk.

Krathoon

The theme of women managing anger better than men in the show is pretty accurate.
Males did dominate society more in the past. There is a certain logic to it.
It has been scientifically proven that women handle pain better than men.

Trunx81

Just watched the first episode and liked it. Especially after I realized that the Hulk is holding his true power back (the stone throw showed it quite well). Some may say that she comes of as “why is she so good at everything, just because she’s a woman?”, but I just think they wanted to get the origin story out of the way in the first episode and the typical training montage scenes just get boring over time. Having someone succeed was a nice change. And I’m sure she will struggle with more stuff as the series lays out.

And maybe it helps that a good friend of mine, who’s also a capable lawyer, looks nearly the same as Jenn 😅

Labolas

So, my problem with this is that this doesn't endearing AT ALL. In fact it makes her come across as unlikable. She's being passive-aggressive and actually talking and peaching at Bruce instead talking to him. This is supposed to be sort of empowering moment in the show, but really all it does make people turn off of watching it. That's not how you should highlight a female protagonist. Also she's highlighting the fact that she's a female first instead of being a flawed individual that has push through the mental blocks of her flaws and overcoming her constraints as a Hulk, which would have made her way more compelling as a character.

And yes, I'm not saying women haven't face sexism or have been constrained to duties as a women, because they have, but to say women, especially American women, have it harder than men is fucking stupid and ridiculous to say.

But then again, I haven't been interest in MCU at all since the start of Phase 4, this just looks like more of the same.

sol_bad

So, my problem with this is that this doesn't endearing AT ALL. In fact it makes her come across as unlikable. She's being passive-aggressive and actually talking and peaching at Bruce instead talking to him. This is supposed to be sort of empowering moment in the show, but really all it does make people turn off of watching it. That's not how you should highlight a female protagonist. Also she's highlighting the fact that she's a female first instead of being a flawed individual that has push through the mental blocks of her flaws and overcoming her constraints as a Hulk, which would have made her way more compelling as a character.

And yes, I'm not saying women haven't face sexism or have been constrained to duties as a women, because they have, but to say women, especially American women, have it harder than men is fucking stupid and ridiculous to say.

But then again, I haven't been interest in MCU at all since the start of Phase 4, this just looks like more of the same.

Are you a man?
Because if you are, right here, we have a man telling a woman how a woman should write a female character. So you're kind of doing what she says men do in that scene, just not physically to a person's face.

Labolas

Are you a man?
Because if you are, right here, we have a man telling a woman how a woman should write a female character. So you're kind of doing what she says men do in that scene, just not physically to a person's face.
Yea, I's a man.
And no, I'm not. I'm not putting down the writer. I didn't call her names or anything. I didn't say look at that fat juicy booty. I did none of that. Simply criticizing someone's work isn't inherently sexist.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Yea, I's a man.
And no, I'm not. I'm not putting down the writer. I didn't call her names or anything. I didn't say look at that fat juicy booty. I did none of that. Simply criticizing someone's work isn't inherently sexist.

I never said you put her down or called her names. I'm not against looking at fat juicy booty's either because I love fat juicy booty's.
I'm just saying that this show was written by women and it comes from their perspective in life and what they have experienced. That scene is going to resonate with other women around the world. And you're coming in saying that the way they are writing Jen is completely wrong and how it should be done, without you ever having to experience what women go through. That's exactly what Jen is saying in that scene, men telling her how to do her job in her expertise.

Tams

People were saying Thor: Love and Thunder's jokes were bad, but many of She-Hulk's are good?!

Most of them were even more tired tropes or overdone social issues. Wooo! Mansplaining rebuttal!

And I didn't get the Captain America virgin thing at all (as a joke - showing that she's ignorant I did get). It wasn't funny and mocking one of the heroes that in this universe has saved the world.

And before anyone misinterprets my comment, yes, I am aware this is all fiction and I'm not worked up by this. Just not entertained.

sol_bad

I... don't know why this should need to be spelt out to you.

If jokes complaining about "mansplaining" are okay, then virgin jokes shouldn't be.

If I remember correctly, wasn't Jen upset when she found out that Steve was a virgin and then happy at the end when she found out that Steve actually did fuck?

Tams

If I remember correctly, wasn't Jen upset when she found out that Steve was a virgin and then happy at the end when she found out that Steve actually did fuck?
How does that make it any better?

If we're going the route of not insulting people (so no "mansplaining"), then why should it matter if he was or wasn't a virgin? Why would she care?

Anyway, it's all just fiction, so I'm done here for today.

Labolas

I never said you put her down or called her names. I'm not against looking at fat juicy booty's either because I love fat juicy booty's.
I'm just saying that this show was written by women and it comes from their perspective in life and what they have experienced. That scene is going to resonate with other women around the world. And you're coming in saying that the way they are writing Jen is completely wrong and how it should be done, without you ever having to experience what women go through. That's exactly what Jen is saying in that scene, men telling her how to do her job in her expertise.

First off, you claimed that I was doing what she claimed other men did to her, which I didn't. Just because it's written by women doesn't mean the show can't be written poorly or characters portrayed poorly. And how do you know this is going to resonate with other women around the world? Other than wine white moms? Do you have a statistic on that? You do realize that women outside America faces a crueler reality than some uppity upper class corporate white woman? They probably have more to worry about than a fucking Disney plus show. And no, I'm saying that clip is awful because it doesn't make her likable at all. And yes, men have been told how to do their job too so that's not necessarily a sexist situation that only happens to women, so that's a nonpoint.

And I'm a fan of big bootys as well like big booty latinas.

Last edited:

John Bilbo

The CGI wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I hope they do more court room stuff in the next episode. Maybe there could be some conflict with the jury being afraid of her hulking out if she is losing a case?

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Enjoyed the first episode I guess she is going to do her own thing in the next episodes, but I hope professor (why they call him smart hulk??) hulk still shows up in later episodes. Excited for the next episode. Would've watched the next few if they released all the episodes at once.

The Skull

It was average at best but Jen came off as a bit unlikable imo, giving shit to Bruce about him being alone and what he's been through, mocking Steve (I'm sure she mocks Tony in one of the trailers).

I couldn't think of a decent joke that landed, but the same could be said for most of the phase 4 products. Hoping it gets better.

Vaelka

“I think that there’s a cultural obsession with the certain physique that goes along with these movies sometimes,” Maslany tells ET. “I certainly fell prey to that idea, and I definitely don’t think it’s a thing that we should be pursuing ‘cause it’s just these weird standards that none of us can actually keep up with unless we’re going to the gym 1,000 times a week.”

This doesn't even make sense on any level lol.
She-Hulks body is way more extreme than Black Widow for example.
She-Hulk is the one who basically '' goes to the gym 1000 times a week '' and eats a protein rich meal every 2-3 hours and sleeps the rest of the day.

Seriously tho I don't think people really understand how much work goes into looking like actors do in movies ( male actors at least ).
All they do is workout, eat and sleep.
A normal person can't live like that, there's a reason why no one with a normal job looks like that it's not sustainable.
Only people who do it for a living can maintain it.

FireFly

How does that make it any better?

If we're going the route of not insulting people (so no "mansplaining"), then why should it matter if he was or wasn't a virgin? Why would she care?

Anyway, it's all just fiction, so I'm done here for today.
I don't think it's about Steve being a virgin, but Captain America, the great American war hero, being a virgin. It's the potential contrast between the public and private persona of Steve that makes it interesting.

That's a major theme of Captain America 2, with the "fish out of water" storyline, and throughout the movie Natasha makes fun of Steve's lack of experience in a good-hearted way.

Vaelka

Many of my women friends express the same feelings... Some get catcalled and, if they ignore, some of the males get too aggressive. Women have actually been killed in those instances... Or worse.

And yes, males have done a lot of the things she says like explain stuff to her that she already knows even when they're in THE SAME PROFESSION. I've seen it. My women friends tell me they've been through it. I get where Jennifer Walters is coming from saying she can control her anger better than Bruce.

But I don't think she knows the abuse Bruce went through... And WHY he has a split in his personality when he becomes The Savage Hulk.

It just comes across as condescending especially when directed at Bruce.

I really hate this victimization of women all the time tho, both men and women deal with unique issues that's true.
And a lot of those issues are also perpetuated by both men and women.
There have actually been a fair bit of research on this and women are more cruel towards each other than they are towards men and perceive and treat each other more as a threat.
A lot of women will shame other women when they get attention from men because they're much more competitive and see those women as a threat and '' better '' than them.
Every woman wants to be queen bee and every woman wants to tear down the current queen bee.
For example women tip waiters they deem more attractive than themselves significantly less than they tip waiters they deem less attractive or men.
And there is a reason why gossip magazines that revolve entirely on shitting on successful women and celebrities are so common and popular amongst women.
Women are hateful and petty as fuck towards each other and it never gets talked about, it's always men who gets blamed for all of womens problems when a lot of them are self-perpetuated.

Men also face their own problems especially when it comes to internalizing emotions it's rather ridiculous to have women talk down to men about it when it's a significantly bigger issue men face and when men are the ones being mocked and demonized for expressing their emotions and women aren't.
Not only that, but men are also blamed for the emotions of their significant other which also gets into the above, where men gets blamed for issues mainly perpetuated by women instead of expecting women to practice more self-control.
Instead of looking inwards at their own jealousy and pettiness they blame men.
Men are expected not only to control their own emotions, but also to control their partners emotions ( in a hetero relationship ).
If a woman gets angry and even physically abuses her partner it's never seen as her fault, it's always turned around on the man and he's the one expected to control her feelings and calm her down.
It's a completely unreasonable expectation to put on someone to manage and take responsibility for not just their own emotional state but also their significant other, it's like men are seen as the caretaker.
Expecting someone to stay calm in a situation like that too and to just take it is too much to expect from most people, it's completely unreasonable and very few people can actually manage it because it goes against every human instinct.
But it's expected of every man.

Men are taught to internalize shit, women are taught to be loud and express their feelings.
I dunno how anyone can dispute this it's pretty obvious and self-evident.
A lot of that '' she's bitchy '' attitude too is something more women engage in than men.
Not saying there aren't men who do it too, but women engage in it far more than men do.
There's a reason why all media revolving around it is solely targeted towards a female audience.

Tams

I don't think it's about Steve being a virgin, but Captain America, the great American war hero, being a virgin. It's the potential contrast between the public and private persona of Steve that makes it interesting.

That's a major theme of Captain America 2, with the "fish out of water" storyline, and throughout the movie Natasha makes fun of Steve's lack of experience in a good-hearted way.

You've still failed to point out how that is a) funny and b) in this fictional universe, acceptable. And no, Captain America 2 does not do such a shitty hamfisted way of doing "a fish out of water". It just came across as nasty and mean.

It's fhe same with Bruce. She goes off on a rant about at most big annoyances, to a man who has gone through fucking hell - multiple times.

It just rubbed me up the wrong way badly and I'll not being watching anymore of this.

Last edited:

FireFly

You've still failed to point out how that is a) funny and b) in this fictional universe, acceptable. And no, Captain America 2 does not do such a shitty hamfisted way of doing "a fish out of water". It just came across as nasty and mean.

It's fhe same with Bruce. She goes off on a rant about at most big annoyances, to a man who has gone through fucking hell - multiple times.

It just rubbed me up the wrong way badly and I'll not being watching anymore of this.
I have to explain how it is funny that one of the biggest "sex symbols" in a fictional universe might have had no sexual experience with women? And that making a joke out of this has nothing to do with shaming Steve personally but pointing out the silliness of what happened to Steve and our expectations surrounding Captain America? I mean literally the entire claim of the theory is that Steve never had the opportunity to get laid due to the timeline of what happened. It has nothing to do with him not being comfortable around women or desirable to them. The real joke is at the writers expense; that they want the audience to forget Captain America only "lived" a few months before being whisked into the present day. And fans pointing this out and making fun of the writers is why it was included in the show. Not as an attempt to be nasty and mean to Steve but to poke fun at the fans back, by pointing out that they did include a way for Steve to get laid!

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Everyone left in this thread.

10wGVnW.jpg
f0qG34Q.jpg
CPwihf9.jpg
wrblXJZ.jpg

This is Ally McBeal with a touch of capeshit.
What's next, Gilmore Girls with Jean Grey and Kitty Pryde?

I'm personally looking forward to Frasier, but with the Fantastic 4.
Marvel is so creatively bankrupt, it's not even funny anymore.

Tams

I have to explain how it is funny that one of the biggest "sex symbols" in a fictional universe might have had no sexual experience with women? And that making a joke out of this has nothing to do with shaming Steve personally but pointing out the silliness of what happened to Steve and our expectations surrounding Captain America? I mean literally the entire claim of the theory is that Steve never had the opportunity to get laid due to the timeline of what happened. It has nothing to do with him not being comfortable around women or desirable to them. The real joke is at the writers expense; that they want the audience to forget Captain America only "lived" a few months before being whisked into the present day. And fans pointing this out and making fun of the writers is why it was included in the show. Not as an attempt to be nasty and mean to Steve but to poke fun at the fans back, by pointing out that they did include a way for Steve to get laid!
And yet, that's not how it came across here. The odd one-liner is perfectly fine, a mini rant has a completely different feel to it.

And the context too. This is in a show, in an episode that seriously plays on some of the issues women face. Then goes and does the exact same thing about a man later on.

I can't believe I have to explain this.

Last edited:

FireFly

And yet, that's not how it came across here. The odd one-liner is perfectly fine, a mini rant has a completely different feel to it.

And the context too. This is in a show, in an episode that seriously plays on some of the issues women face. Then goes and does the exact same thing about a man later on.

I can't believe I have to explain this.
You can't tell the joke in a one liner because you need to setup the timeline and show that the writers seemingly didn't give any space for Captain America to have any real relationships. That's exactly what Jennifer does in the scene and she doesn't get a chance to rant about anything because
a ship causes their car to crash almost as soon as the word virgin leaves her mouth.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Wow so okay, I've been going through this thread (with no intention of ever watching this show but only to see what the hivemind has to say about a show my gf will probably watch) and figured that it wasn't as bad as I feared.

Turns out: it's actually worse...

The actual fuck are some of you smoking. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I love how Intersectional-Feminist Nonsense(tm) always boils down to it still needing (bad) men to justify their goals. It's amazing.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Wow so okay, I've been going through this thread (with no intention of ever watching this show but only to see what the hivemind has to say about a show my gf will probably watch) and figured that it wasn't as bad as I feared.

Turns out: it's actually worse...

The actual fuck are some of you smoking. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I love how Intersectional-Feminist Nonsense(tm) always boils down to it still needing (bad) men to justify their goals. It's amazing.

Ignoring the all the man snipes in the show, it seems they've changed the order of some events: Bruce comments that she reverts back to normal in her sleep while a scene before he talked to her while she had changed to normal. The bed breaks once she turns into hulk indicating that she went to bed in normal form. It's weird. 🤷‍♂️

RAÏSanÏa

grumpy punch GIF

That clifftop scene was reminiscent of Avengers and seemed to show the integrated Hulk personality exhibiting some influence. A nice touch.

The soundtrack is good and does accentuate that sense of early 2000s vibrancy when lawyer shows were huge.

Last edited:
Top Bottom