• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should every game have an easy mode?

SeraphJan

Difficulty is a type of experience and aesthetic of itself within an art form, if a the developer's vision had difficulty as part of its aesthetic, then of course making an easy mode contradict that aesthetic.

So no, not every game should have an easy mode

But that doesn't mean I'm against easy mode, it all depend on the original intent of the developer when he/she creating the art

For some type of games, stress is a part of its experience, for example horror game in order to maintain its horror, resource has to be scarce, death was suppose to have huge consequences, and enemy are suppose to be intimidating, making an easy mode in certain horror game will complete destroy the games core experience.

Last edited:

GenericUser

It's up to the developers to decide that. There are perfect valid reasons for one or the other. Souls games (altough not being made for me) deliberately give you only one option. Given the popularity of the games, that seems to be the right choice. The devs obviously think that hardship and persistence are part of what the players should experience. Other games give you options, that is also fine. It all has to fit into the vision that the developers had in mind when they created the game.

Last edited:
Season 4 No GIF by The Office

Boneless

They need to make the Marathon des Sables more accessible by allowing people to finish after running 1 mile, all people should be allowed to experience it!
73c.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F92acc53e-1be9-4e43-9481-fb320f865893_1280x720.jpeg

So no, sometimes the difficulty is inherintly tied to the sense of achievement. Is a marathon too difficult for you? Then you git gut and train your ass off. Maybe your local organisation creates a half marathon to make it easier. In the end, its up to the creator to decide.

Last edited:

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I find some games a lot more enjoyable when you can blast through them on easy. I lack both time and patience nowadays. But it is what it is, and I'm not counting on there being an easy mode in every game I buy.

baphomet

Why stop there?

Why doesn't every game have a mode for the brain dead. Just because they can't actually play the game doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to enjoy it.

Maybe, just maybe, if you aren't good at something you should put some effort into it and get better. Then realize not everything has to be for you, or your friend who is bad at video games.

Yes, but not through multiple difficulty options, but rather through toggles you can change around. Reduced or increased damage. Higher or lower health. Increased or lower drop rates. All things players could choose and customize for themselves for the play experience that's best for them. Meanwhile the Devs get to implement "their vision" as the base mode for people to enjoy if that's what they want too.

ironmang

What happend that a lot of people think choices are a bad thing. Why do people think that?

Who benefits from an absence of choice?

What about the choice of the developer who wants to make a game with only 1 difficulty?

That seems to get lost in these discussions. Every time a new From game comes out go look at the people on social media or articles on game sites that try and guilt them into including an easy mode.

Last edited:

ungalo

Zelda games are not hard and those are better remembered than recent souls games.
Not to mention they run circles around the competition in sales.
They don't have difficulty settings. The rest is a matter of subjectivity. What if someone find Zelda games hard for whatever reasons ? It does not bring into question how those games are designed and if they should add an easy mode because as you said, those games are liked and they sell well.

And that's exactly the same for Elden Ring and From Software games.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Yes. The developers vision can simply be the normal mode and the other modes can be for those who want an easier or harder game. I do like the idea someone mentioned of just adding more hp to the character or more mp. The option to simply increase stats in a game from speed, hp, mp, attack, or defense sounds amazing, and you wouldn't need to adjust everything else in the game for those things. Story mode could simply be one shotting everything.

daveonezero

Banned
Yes but it should destroy all satisfaction in the game.

It should be like game genie god mode. No clipping. No damage. No combat. Basically just fly through the game and see cutscenes.

T4keD0wN

If its single player: Yes. Its nobody's business if my supersoldier commander sheppard can sprint for 60 seconds instead of the default 5 before succumbing to exhaustion.
It can simply be disabled for leaderboards or multiplayer modes.
Only weirdos and EA thinks that games should deliver "a sense of pride and accomplishment", theyre just an entertainment product.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

I say leave it up to the dev. Not every game has to be for everyone.

If you can't beat a game, then watch the ending on youtube, that's the real easy mode.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Yes. I dont use it but it’s helpful in many ways.

No difficulty option is just lazy.

Nothing is lost having the option, it’s literally only a positive thing.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
EVERY game? No. I don't see how an easy mode would make sense for Vampire Survivors, for example.

MANY games? Probably. Hard mode too.

Ideally, the developers and designers should make balanced gameplay loop that's both accessible and challenging and helps shitty players become good players.

TrueLegend

Absolutely yes and the highest difficulty mode should should also be open from the start. This is the stupid pillar a lot of people bring and pit it against dark souls for proxy fight. And like always also those wannabe extrahype fans who actually suck at soulsborne keep getting proven wrong by each further release.

For example no checkpoint is what makes dark souls dark souls, fuck no, we now got all kind of checkpoint in Elden Ring and guess what instead of sucking it went on to become pretty much the best AAA modern game ever. I would say that those people should not be given some achievements in Easy mode like the Nameless King achivement and that will be a great way to balance it.

At the same time Hard mode should not be about big health bars, there are people like me who grew up playing hardest mode, it's difficult for us to enjoy games in normal mode so locking hard mode or just dumb health bars ruin a lot of fun. Make it properly hard like classic God of War I, II and III or Devil may cry series DMD. Make it interesting by adding mechanics and stuff.

Currently I use self imposed permadeath on normal mode minus fall death to keep the game that do not have hard mode unlocked from start or have too dumb of a hard mode , interesting. I had to play New game plus in Sekiro to truly fall in love with the game because parrying was way too easy on normal walkthrough with kuro's charm and no bell demon.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Difficuty of game is also its identity. I will always prefer one fixed difficulty BUT it sucks that my friends can't play these games at all.

Spiderman was just perfect for them in that regards. They all got addicted to it.

Some of my favourite games wouldn't be my favourite games if they had an easy mode because i'd have just lowered the difficulty instead of properly learning mechanics.

Nobody is "too bad" to complete modern games (even people with disabilities have lots of great tools). Plenty of people are lazy though.

If you can't be bothered to learn mechanics, have patience, just watch a playthrough on youtube.

Developers should be able to make a game however they like and the idea of anything being compulsory around the design of videogames is fucking nauseating.

And no - obviously you shouldnt get refunds. Christ.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I mean ... hasn't most games have difficulty settings since the inception of video games? lol

Just because one seems too difficult for you that doesn't have difficulty settings doesnt mean it is some grand new idea. It just means that game isn't for you and move on.

yeah not a new concept. lol

difficultySwitches.jpg

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Some of my favourite games wouldn't be my favourite games if they had an easy mode because i'd have just lowered the difficulty instead of properly learning mechanics.

Yeah but that's a you problem. For example I can lower the difficulty in GT7 but because I WANT to play the game as it should I stick to no assists etc. Even though the possibility is there which casual users or whatever can choose to use and have a good time. Does that makes sense?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
In other words how we played multiplayer games in the 90s? Yea it’s fine, just add a server browser and let us figure it out.
I'm curious to see if anyone supports dev's one difficulty SP mode "I'll adjust my skills to suit the game". But for MP play, it's the opposite. They want MM so the difficulty level is skewed to their skill level "I want the game to suit me so I dont get destroyed in COD".

NinjaBoiX

100%, it allows anyone to appreciate your game no matter their skill level.

I can’t be the first person to mention the Souls games in here, but I wish they had a casual mode. I totally get that it goes against every code of their design, and they’ve put stuff like summoning in to help, but they’re often still too hard for me to properly enjoy.

Just put a really obvious disclaimer bang in the centre of the screen explaining that it’s not the way it was designed to be enjoyed if you’re so precious about your own vision, but you should allow anyone to enjoy your game on their own terms imo.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
FYI: it seems a lot of people are taking this thread to mean "Should it be mandatory?" and that is not what I meant, but rather "Do you think gaming would be better off if all games had an easy mode?"

Obviously, developers have the right to create whatever they want.

Aenima

No. but depends of the type of game.

If a game is designed around challenge and the devs dont think it should have dificuty modes, then git gud, cuz thats the game main purpose.

If a game is more narrative driven and wants to tell a story, then yes. Being engaged on the game story and then being cockblocked by a dificulty spike or a broken mechanic that makes the game way warder than it should, sucks, and should have dificulty modes for the ppl that cant get good at it and just want to enjoy the game story.

Neo_Geo

Banned
This is where PC gaming shines. If the developers intended for the game to be only accessible to highly skilled players with more time on their hands than someone like me, then you just download a trainer and pick and choose what "easy" mode features you want to include to make the game enjoyable.

Top Bottom