• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill soft-reboot in development at Sony Japan Studio (Team Silent staff involved)

Matsuchezz

A reboot of the Franchise would be awesome, I never got to play the SH that was released on the Wii I believe, If I am not mistaken that was kind of a remake or something of Silent Hill 1. Was it any good? These kind of games would be beautiful to look at and listen with next gen technology, a great voice acting with performance capture must be something to behold. One of the greatest fetures in SH 2 and SH3 was the voice acting while not perfect it was decent, which in my opinion was bad in the first one.
Some kind of partnership between Sony and Konami to license that franchise would be pretty sweet.

NonPhixion

“A symphony of rumors - not one, but two - return from shadow.”

“Choosing not one, but two”

Bluepoint has cryptically tweeted, on two occasions about doing two games. Perhaps this is one of them along with Demon’s Souls? Being the Japan Studios worked on Demon’s Souls, and are rumoured to be working on this, could be the perfect partnership?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I remember OsirisBlack mentioned something about Konami.
And when it was reported Sony was working on a Horror game his reply was in the style of how Angela speaks.
something like
"Sony? a Horror you say... Umm"
So I think he knows about this.

Last edited:

GV82

Love me some Silent Hill. But even more? I LOVE me some Junji Ito.

81FWTRu.gif

LDK5yUT.gif

VwBIJ0k.gif

Dude it’s 4am here here and I just scrolled past 😦

😬 But thats okay as I have Friday the 13th playing on TV in the background and have re-quoted for everyone one page 2 to get a look, would be cool to get a ito game.

Last edited:
I want this so fucking bad, a new Silent Hill on par with the quality of 1-3 is literally the number 1 thing I want from video games.

However I want it to be a continuation of where 1-4 left off (ignore everything from American devs) not a full reboot, I want to step back into that world that I know, not a totally new one.

Of course at this point I'll take what I can get and I just want it to be a good game, but I'd still like it to be a case of the events of the older games still happened even if it's just called "Silent Hill"

I really hope it’s true and really, really hope it’s not in first person.

I hope it plays nothing like PT. I respect the KojiGOD (RIP MHK) and I understand the relevance of PT. That's not the Silent Hill game I want (although it's also being made, which is nice). I want a full on Team Silent SH. That's the only way it will be good is if people from the original studio are involved. Plus, I miss SIE Japan Studio. The whole thing would be so fantastic.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I hope it plays nothing like PT. I respect the KojiGOD (RIP MHK) and I understand the relevance of PT. That's not the Silent Hill game I want (although it's also being made, which is nice). I want a full on Team Silent SH. That's the only way it will be good is if people from the original studio are involved. Plus, I miss SIE Japan Studio. The whole thing would be so fantastic.
Same, I liked P.T. as a concept for its atmosphere, not the gameplay.

Flick

Banned
Meh. Never got the hype for the game. I think it’s seriously overhyped. Maybe, I just like resident evil more. 🤷🏿‍♂️

GenericUser

Wow, I had no hope left for silent hill, that is awesome. Please do it, the franchise has so much potential. Don't remake anything, make something new. There are a bazillion things you can do with the silent hill name!
(plz no pachinko :messenger_medmask: )

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Wow
Dusk Golem (leaked From Software and Capcom stuff in the past) mentioned that around two years ago Konami was taking pitches for a Silent Hill soft-reboot. This is interesting because it was around that time when Keiichiro Toyama (creator of Silent Hill, Siren and Gravity Rush) got his new action adventure IP scrapped and then started to work on a horror game that he's been teasing heavily since then. Some will recall that Silent Hill 2 art director and Pyramid Head creator, Masahiro Ito, has also been teasing his involvement in the development of a new Silent Hill game via twitter during the last couple of weeks.

UPDATE #1

A little later, Dusk Golem posted a twitter thread discussing what he heard about the new Silent Hill games:

UPDATE #2

There was also an article wrote by a site called Rely On Horror that shared what their sources told them about Sony's and Konami's plans for the Silent Hill franchise, pretty much on par with what we've heard from Dusk Golem:

SOURCE: Rely On Horror

UPDATE #3

Dusk Golem posted a final tweet regarding the soft-reboot game:
Wow!! Japan Studio making a Silent Hill game?

me0wish

Sony = Original Team with high budget
Why would a Silent Hill fan not want this?
I'm just worried it will play like Naughty Dog's games, and be similar to REmake2 in terms of atmosphere and gameplay. This is more likely to happen if it was being backed by Sony, especially if it was a big budget title.

Last edited:
Just to be clear there are two separate new Silent Hill games (rumoured), one being created by a SH dream team funded by Sony. The other is in talks stage with the man above, and is Silent Hills.

Shockingly, I'm more excited for the former than something from even the great Kojima in this case.
I sincerely and genuinely revere Team Silent almost as much as Hideo Kojima and his team.

Those guys are mad geniuses and I can't wait for both these projects to get released!

SleepDoctor

Banned
I'd love a reboot to the series or a real Silent Hill sequel. That PT shit was overrated garbage and was just using the name for publicity like RE 7 did (although i liked RE 7).

Mendou

Banned
I'm starting to think that Sony might straight up buy MGS and SH
The long-standing history of those games being on PlayStation makes me wonder why it wasn't already true. It would guarantee that the audience of those two franchises would stay on Sony's platform. As for the games themselves, they'll likely receive the same kind of attention to detail and funding that other PS exclusives have received. I could further see the Metal Gear Solid series becoming their flagship game series if enough time, effort, and funding was put into it.

The franchise went to shit after SH3 when (sorry to say) the American devs took the reigns and tried to turn it more actiony and without the imagination and creepy weirdness that only Japanese minds can conjure. The Japanese are kings of horror, be it film or game.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Im more of a Resident Evil guy...

But if they can work out a proper Silent Hill game..that will be great...

Hopefullly Norman Reedus can get back into action...

Top Bottom