• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill soft-reboot in development at Sony Japan Studio (Team Silent staff involved)

Another Dusk Golem rumor.. my god. Anyone who believes him is an idiot, truly.

Edit: The last time he 'teased' a Sony game, it was an indie horror game. He's full of shit.
(he deleted the OP when he ran away from GAF but the thread and title are still there for your amusement)

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
I want this so fucking bad, a new Silent Hill on par with the quality of 1-3 is literally the number 1 thing I want from video games.

However I want it to be a continuation of where 1-4 left off (ignore everything from American devs) not a full reboot, I want to step back into that world that I know, not a totally new one.

Of course at this point I'll take what I can get and I just want it to be a good game, but I'd still like it to be a case of the events of the older games still happened even if it's just called "Silent Hill"
Out of the 5 Silent Hill games made after 4, only 2 were made by American developers. And the last one to be made by an American development team was by Wayforward for the Vita which didn’t focus on the lore.

Another Dusk Golem rumor.. my god. Anyone who believes him is an idiot, truly.

Edit: The last time he 'teased' a Sony game, it was an indie horror game. He's full of shit.
(he deleted the OP when he ran away from GAF but the thread and title are still there for your amusement)

Oh no dont be the harbinger of bad news. So what explains that website story saying same thing?

Terenty

Episodic VR game ala Telltale for Kojima? The worst fucking outcome possible. I hope its not true in the slightest.

Kojipro should develop gameplay driven games like they always have, not some VR bullshit choose your own adventure.

And if they are banking on Silent Hills hype surely VR is the worst way to go with it

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
Episodic VR game ala Telltale for Kojima? The worst fucking outcome possible. I hope its not true in the slightest.

Kojipro should develop gameplay driven games like they always have, not some VR bullshit.

And if they are banking on Silent Hills hype surely VR is the worst way to go with it

I don't think it means a VR only title.

Likely a First Person Perspective title with VR Support to launch alongside the PSVR2.

Terenty

I don't think it means a VR only title.

Likely a First Person Perspective title with VR Support to launch alongside the PSVR2.

The whole thing doesn't make sense imo. They are developing a Silent Hill game with original members and then....another Silent Hill game with Kojipro? Why? And from the rumour it could be episodic and CYOA? What, is Kojipro now some scond rate company or smth

Let Kojipro work on something original their own horror ip for that matter

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
The whole thing doesn't make sense imo. They are developing a Silent Hill game with original members and then....another Silent Hill game with Kojipro? Why?

Let Kojipro work on something original their own horror ip for that matter
Apparently Sony asked Kojipro to remove some horrific elements from Death Stranding mid-developmemt and the project changed after that. This might be a way of Sony reeling in Hideo Kojima’s creativity by having him focus on a VR game for a franchise. All rumors.

Let’s say all this is true:
  1. people losing their shit on a game they wont buy.
  2. Takayoshi Sato isn’t involved cause he’s at Nintendo. Happy for Toyama revisiting a series he founded but let’s not pretend SH1 was the best of the 4 by “Team Silent”.
  3. It would be a shame if Ōwaku was not part of the new installment since he, along with Yamaoka, has contributed the (second) most to the franchise.
  4. Explains the talks of a Silent Hill movie since Sony has the picture rights (right?) and they look to be doubling down with a new game, new VR game (which could end up without the SH brand) and new movie. Hope it works out for them.

I can actually talk about this a bit. Now keep in my I'm a bit murky on the details, this is from my understanding also, I'm going to try to get what I've heard as accurate as possible but I'm also cutting parts of this out. I'm also about to say some controversial things for some, so be ready. None of this is from any source I personally can verify, but it is what I've heard.

Death Stranding was a flop. It sold well initially, but I've heard it has over 3 million unsold copies of what's been produced, but the sales kinda' slowed to a crawl and the game hasn't done as well as anyone involved has been hoping. Death Stranding was also originally supposed to be a very different game, a lot darker and more horror-esque, but around a year and a half before launch the development got soft rebooted. Sony and Kojima had some disagreements, and some other studios at Sony's Worldwide Studios were a bit upset at the money Kojima was getting for the game, along with disagreements lead to Death Stranding not ending up as a PS5 game and a sharper window for release even after the soft reboot. There's a looooot more here, but this is the part I'll share that's relevant.

So originally Sony and Konami came to a deal when Konami was shopping around for Silent Hill developers, I am not entirely clear on the details but Toyama had been interested in doing a horror game, but the Siren IP is kinda' more of a niche thing and would get a lower budget. Somehow, I wish I was more clear on the details, but SOMEHOW a few variables fells into place that Sony went out of their way to work with Konami to allow Toyama to work on a horror game, but a horror game with more recognition behind it than Siren, which of course I mean Silent Hill. Sony also seemed to have the idea since Death Stranding was a loss for them that getting Kojima to finally work on a horror game like he's been wanting to, have Konami help fit the bill for Kojima's and Toyama's game (as Konami was going to help fund whatever game anyways). There was some Japanese pride on Kojima Pro's side since Death Stranding didn't do too great to make a game without as bloated of a budget that might make return and a strong title for their platform. Kojima making a horror gameand making Silent Hills has hype behind it, Toyama and Team Silent members returning to make a new Silent Hill game has hype behind it, and Sony and Konami were able to strike a deal that made both parties happy and mutually benefited both of them.

This is a super oversimplification, but basically Konami just wanted someone to make a good Silent Hill game and was willing to fund the pitch they selected, Sony was interested due to what Toyama wanted for his next project and the possibility of getting Kojima to do a smaller budget game after Death Stranding was a failure which they believe would have interest for gamers, and a deal was worked out with Sony and Konami both funding these projects (though let me clarify, the Kojima game is still in the talks at this point in time).

Last edited:
Oh no dont be the harbinger of bad news. So what explains that website story saying same thing?
I'm not disputing the whole Kojima+Silent Hill rumor that has been floating around since last year (and did not originate with Dusk). That may very well be true. I don't know, and quite frankly I don't care (Silent Hill died with 3 as far as I'm concerned).

What I'm saying is that Dusk Golem isn't the insider he claims to be, as evidenced by his years of faux insider bullshit he tried to pull when he was a GAF regular.
As for the article, it's using him as a source so...

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I'm still in love with the idea of this truly being a possibility. I don't care how it comes back, as long as it's quality then that's all that matters. If the Sony thing were indeed true then I guess PS5 all the way, lol.

Side note, I'm surprised there are people that care for RE more. I was always used to people loving both, or if not, loving SH and not RE. Primarily because of its focus on psychological horror. I respect it though.

But RE has had plenty of attention and great newer titles. SH hasn't, especially for a long while, and good God is it deserving of it. I would never say RE or SH is overhyped, the hype is most certainly deserved. SH2 is one of my favorite games of all time. ❤️

I'm hoping we get some kind of confirmation sooner than later. I don't want to be burned by this. 😭

I'm still in love with the idea of this truly being a possibility. I don't care how it comes back, as long as it's quality then that's all that matters. If the Sony thing were indeed true then I guess PS5 all the way, lol.

Side note, I'm surprised there are people that care for RE more. I was always used to people loving both, or if not, loving SH and not RE. Primarily because of its focus on psychological horror. I respect it though.

But RE has had plenty of attention and great newer titles. SH hasn't, especially for a long while, and good God is it deserving of it. I would never say RE or SH is overhyped, the hype is most certainly deserved. SH2 is one of my favorite games of all time. ❤

I'm hoping we get some kind of confirmation sooner than later. I don't want to be burned by this. 😭

I agree with you completely. SH2 one of the greatest games ever made, so haunting, so immersive, so memorable, such an adult story when at the time everything else was more juvenile.

I also love Res Evil. They are totally different though (SH1-3 compared to RES 1-7). If aby franchise deserves a new title, aside from Virtua Fighter, SH is the one.

I'm not disputing the whole Kojima+Silent Hill rumor that has been floating around since last year (and did not originate with Dusk). That may very well be true. I don't know, and quite frankly I don't care (Silent Hill died with 3 as far as I'm concerned).

What I'm saying is that Dusk Golem isn't the insider he claims to be, as evidenced by his years of faux insider bullshit he tried to pull when he was a GAF regular.

Oh ok I've been here a long time but didnt know the background. I hope it is true.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

We have known about these rumours for while, OsirisBlack OsirisBlack kinda hinted as such before the rumours started and the new film being in production was announced
If you believe Dusk Golem or not
They just adding to the mulitple sources saying the same thing.

Fret Runner

And what if Yharnam was then found to be on the outskirts of the Mushroom Kingdom??
a88.jpg

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Could also be possible it would not be called "Silent Hill" and it would be spiritual successor to Silent Hill, same way Dark Souls was to Demon's Souls?

peronmls

Could also be possible it would not be called "Silent Hill" and it would be spiritual successor to Silent Hill, same way Dark Souls was to Demon's Souls?
Just the words "SILENT HILL" is enough to make you feel unsettled. I can't imagine any other name holding up like that. I hope they keep it.

Danjin44

Just the words "SILENT HILL" is enough to make you feel unsettled. I can't imagine any other name holding up like that. I hope they keep it.
I hope so too but if Konami wont let them use the IP then they have no choice but change the name.

Last edited:
Isnt Team Silent 11 major people that all went their separate ways ages ago. Now you want to tell me how SONY got them all back together and Konami knowingly is gonna let Kojima work on their IP? It wasnt a "dispute" it was such a public embarrassment and harassment. Comon, this smells like fairytale BS someone made up. And if its not all 11 people but like only 2...thats not Team Silent then, its like one 10th of the team and they are using it as a marketing tool. Same as Guns N Roses in the early 2000s when they went back on tour but the only original member was Axel.

Last edited:

Rayderism

One thing I liked about the Silent Hill series, they're not really scary so much as they're just damn creepy. If they could manage to achieve the creep-factor of Silent Hill 2 with their new game(s), they'll have a hit.

Danjin44

One thing I liked about the Silent Hill series, they're not really scary so much as they're just damn creepy. If they could manage to achieve the creep-factor of Silent Hill 2 with their new game(s), they'll have a hit.
They are disturbing, in way that it feels something crawling from you neck and that feeling never goes away through out the games, its same feeling I get when reading Junji ito's manga.

If these rumors turn out to be true, it Would be smart to revive PT on PSN. What a way to tease and advertise your games.

Edit: I hope to see a more slow burn Body horror, supernatural horror, and psychological horror with these games. Even if the story quality of these games matched that of SH1, I would still be satisfied. There’s also no head to retread on Silent Hill 2’s plot.

Last edited:
Out of the 5 Silent Hill games made after 4, only 2 were made by American developers. And the last one to be made by an American development team was by Wayforward for the Vita which didn’t focus on the lore.

You know what I meant, the western developed ones like Homecoming, Origins and Downpour.

None of that shit should be considered canon.

Shattered Memories was it's own continuity anyway so it doesn't matter and thankfully that was the only westerns developed Silent Hill that was decent.

Danjin44

If this a launch game or launch window for PS5, then it actually gives me a good reason to get excited for next gen. With that being said, I absolutely DO NOT want this game to get rushed, I wouldn't mind seeing it comes out a year after PS5 launches.

Perrott

Gold Member
If this a launch game or launch window for PS5, then it actually gives me a good reason to get excited for next gen. With that being said, I absolutely DO NOT want this game to get rushed, I wouldn't mind seeing it comes out a year after PS5 launches.
According to the rumor, this Silent Hill game has only been in development for a year now. With that in mind, I'd say that it still needs to be in the oven for another couple of years, with a release no earlier than 2022.

Top Bottom