• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: The Movie 2 Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it seems as though a sequel to the 2006 film is in the works. I'm not too surprised as Sony recently purchased the domain name SilentHill2.net. Roger Avary and Samuel Hadida will be returning to work on the sequel. It is unknown whether or not director Christophe Gans will return which makes me wonder about this. The first movie wasn't great, but the atmosphere was spot on. Although the acting and story suffered, it was a very faithful big-screen adaption. I've heard rumors that this will be based off of Silent Hill 3, but nothing is confirmed. I know this will likely be a generic, Hollywood gore-fest with Silent Hill sprinkled over it, but one can hope for something better. According to the source, filming will begin after the next live-action Resident Evil.

Source

I'm in the minority that really liked the first movie, but I'm not a fan of the games (mainly issues with the controls, but thats a completely different debate)

looking forward to seeing what happens with this, but like any sequel the odds are against it

Based off SH3 game? Completely skipping SH2 game?

... eh, I STILL likey. :D

I think the adaptation just outweighed the storyline/poor acting of some charas enough. I mean there were so many instances that were direct pulls from the game right down to the camera angle I was loving it. And the ending being inspired by Overfiend wasn't bad. :lol

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I liked the movie. It was decent. I would personally go and see it at the theaters when this is out, but not the first day.

Rewrite said:
I liked the movie. It was decent. I would personally go and see it at the theaters when this is out, but not the first day.

I probably will see the sequel in theaters. I may or may not end up in a corner crying by the end
for all the wrong reasons

Rahxephon91 said:
Hope it still has the games music.
Either that, or they commission Akira Yamaoka to do an original soundtrack which would be awesome, but unlikely.

RadioHeadAche said:
Nothing is confirmed yet. That was just a rumor.
Better than what Gans said in an interview some 2 years ago. He basically didn't want to come back until his other projects were complete because he didn't want to half-ass the movie. At the time I had thought he said Avary wouldn't do it if Gans wasn't there, I hoped it wasn't true.

The Frankman said:
Better than what Gans said in an interview some 2 years ago. He basically didn't want to come back until his other projects were complete because he didn't want to half-ass the movie. At the time I had thought he said Avary wouldn't do it if Gans wasn't there, I hoped it wasn't true.

I too had heard that Avary was not going to be returning since Gans chose not to make a sequel. Perhaps Gans changed his mind, or Avary decided to work with someone else.

Although, money talks....

-COOLIO- said:
i too enjoyed the first movie.

the hospital stuff was genuinely scary.

That scene with the nurses is very cool.

Everdred

I saw the original in the theater and also purchased it on Bluray. I will definitely be checking this one out in the theater too. Hope there is more pyramid head :)

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
strange_booj said:
I saw the original in the theater and also purchased it on Bluray. I will definitely be checking this one out in the theater too. Hope there is more pyramid head :)
YES! More Pyramid Head, please!

strange_booj said:

How is the movie on BD? I own the dvd, but I was considering a purchase of the Blu-Ray if the price is right.

Rewrite said:
YES! More Pyramid Head, please!
The original ending was supposed the be
the darkness seeping out of the woman and growing into six Pyramid Heads who massacre the cult
. However company wanted movie done by a certain date and they were behind and over-budget. Plan B was ok too!

The first one was awful. Gah the acting from the kid and the townspeople made me cringe. And it could have been written so much better. Not looking forward to this one.

GullyJuice said:
The first one was awful. Gah the acting from the kid and the townspeople made me cringe. And it could have been written so much better. Not looking forward to this one.

By kid, are you referring to the woman who was collecting food and is later
skinned by Pyramid Head
? If so, then yes. Quite possibly the most cringe-worthy dialogue I've ever heard.

Skerj

Glad to see others enjoyed the first movie, I'm actually glad it walked parallel to some of the events in the first game and created things for itself instead of completely aping the game or going the way of mostly every other game based movie. Otherwise it would have been wildly predictable and I'd have been better off just playing through the first game again. Reading a few interviews from Gans after viewing it helped me to appreciate that.

That paired with the fact that he and Avary actually studied and acknowledged the source material to begin with, made me respect not only the movie but them as director and writer a whole lot more. Having Akira Yamaoka on board probably didn't hurt either, but then again. ..Homecoming. Regardless, I'm officially interested now that he's on the project although I wonder if we'll ever see the rumored "full" version of the first movie.

Hope there is no Pyramid Head because there's no James and he doesn't make any sense and --

Oh, fuck it.

Let's just hope this one ends with another great "CONGRATULATIONS! YOU WON THE GA, uh, MOVIE! LET ME REMOVE ALL THE MYSTERY FOR YOU" scene. I loved that part in the first one.

Skerj said:
That paired with the fact that he and Avary actually studied and acknowledged the source material to begin with, made me respect not only the movie but them as director and writer a whole lot more. Having Akira Yamaoka on board probably didn't hurt either, but then again. ..Homecoming. Regardless, I'm officially interested now that he's on the project although I wonder if we'll ever see the rumored "full" version of the first movie.

Are you referring to Avary? Anyway, I thought it was really cool that Gans played the games on set to get the atmosphere just right.

RadioHeadAche said:
By kid, are you referring to the woman who was collecting food and is later
skinned by Pyramid Head
? If so, then yes. Quite possibly the most cringe-worthy dialogue I've ever heard.

I'm sure there's more dialog that's like that, but I was talking about Alessa/cloned Alessa.
(Pointing to crayon-drawn demons) "Who did that Mommy? I don't like that! WAHHHH" It actually made me embarrassed that the girl had to act that out.

GullyJuice said:
I'm sure there's more dialog that's like that, but I was talking about Alessa/cloned Alessa.
(Pointing to crayon-drawn demons) "Who did that Mommy? I don't like that! WAHHHH" It actually made me embarrassed that the girl had to act that out.

Oh yes, I agree, but nothing comes close to that woman. I think her name was Anna, or something like that.

Skerj

RadioHeadAche said:
Are you referring to Avary? Anyway, I thought it was really cool that Gans played the games on set to get the atmosphere just right.

I was referring to Gans, even though it appears I misread a post prior to posting my own. I thought it was confirmed that he was returning, hopefully Avary being on it will sway him.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
The Frankman said:
The original ending was supposed the be
the darkness seeping out of the woman and growing into six Pyramid Heads who massacre the cult
. However company wanted movie done by a certain date and they were behind and over-budget. Plan B was ok too!
Woah, didn't know this. Thanks for the info.

Skerj said:
I was referring to Gans, even though it appears I misread a post prior to posting my own. I thought it was confirmed that he was returning, hopefully Avary being on it will sway him.

Gans said that he was not returning, but Avary did as well (and now he's on board). It would be nice for Gans to return since he was so passionate about it, but as of now, nothing is confirmed.

louis89

Cool. I did like the first Silent Hill movie - wasn't incredible, but was definitely an enjoyable and decent film.

Never played any of the games though...

louis89 said:
Cool. I did like the first Silent Hill movie - wasn't incredible, but was definitely an enjoyable and decent film.

Never played any of the games though...
sh3shakeheadof9.gif

anaron

While I thought Gans captured Silent Hill's atmosphere and visual style extremely well, the script was atrocious.

Oh yes, I agree, but nothing comes close to that woman. I think her name was Anna, or something like that.

"Filth and lieees!" :lol

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
I wonder if Avary's Driver is going to happen.

Probably not.

RadioHeadAche said:

Oh how I hated that character. Which is why her fate, while gruesome, is so damn pleasing.
Also her boobs were pathetic. Yeah she was probably undernourished but what kind of cult doesn't believe in bras?

Ploid 3.0

The Frankman said:
Based off SH3 game? Completely skipping SH2 game?

... eh, I STILL likey. :D

I think the adaptation just outweighed the storyline/poor acting of some charas enough. I mean there were so many instances that were direct pulls from the game right down to the camera angle I was loving it. And the ending being inspired by Overfiend wasn't bad. :lol

Silent Hill3 is related to silent hill 1. Silent Hill 2 was it's own thing. iirc

Ploid 3.0 said:
Silent Hill3 is related to silent hill 1. Silent Hill 2 was it's own thing. iirc
I'm just talking about how people in Gaming say SH2 is the best SH game... I'm like, WHAT, HOW?? I never understood that logic... Anyway in many aspects SH movie incorporated much from the Silent Hill 1, 2 and 3 games (though much of it is music based). But SH2 the best game???

sh1.jpg

IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE DAVID FREAKING BOREANEZ!!! :lol

Everdred

RadioHeadAche said:
How is the movie on BD? I own the dvd, but I was considering a purchase of the Blu-Ray if the price is right.
It's definitely a step in quality from the DVD version, the transfer is quite nice. The biggest downfall is that it doesn't have any special features, though I don't know if the DVD version does either?

strange_booj said:
It's definitely a step in quality from the DVD version, the transfer is quite nice. The biggest downfall is that it doesn't have any special features, though I don't know if the DVD version does either?

It had a six-part "making of" featurette.

Everdred

RadioHeadAche said:
It had a six-part "making of" featurette.
So I guess it depends on how you enjoy special features, I personally never watch them. I think I got my copy from amazon for about $14.

strange_booj said:
So I guess it depends on how you enjoy special features, I personally never watch them. I think I got my copy from amazon for about $14.

I watched it once, so I don't think I need to view it again. I'll probably keep the dvd version, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom