• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, all Bloodborne players who haven't played Souls before, how's it going?

nynt9

I'm personally not new to the series, but during the lead-up to Bloodborne there were so many threads about people who hadn't played the Souls games before and were interested in jumpimg in. So, did you? How's it going? I'm really interested in hearing fresh impressions as I got a friend of mine to play Bloodborne and he's loving it even though he's still slightly intimidated by the depth and complexity - he's also fascinated by them.

So, what are your thoughts?

hoserx

died a ton last night......however I still want to play more. I have the desire to get good. Looking forward to the moment that I do something awesome and realize I have improved significantly.

Enilced2

Well I played for a few hours last night when I found some time and I can't get past the first street that has like 20 dudes on it. So it's going poorly to say the least

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I've played Demons and Dark for an hour or two each. Not the biggest fan.

Loving Bloodborne on the other hand. Maybe its the aesthetics and me treating it as a horror game.

nynt9

Loving Bloodborne on the other hand. Maybe its the aesthetics and me treating it as a horror game.

To be fair, as a player who played all of them, this one has the strongest start so far.

OtaXou

Neo Member
Well I was dying to try it out.
Now I'm dying when trying to play.

I didn't care much for Souls, not because of its gameplay but its setting, and I'm loving the ambiance of Bloodborne so far. I'm hooked !

DNAbro

Never played a souls game before this. It's hard.

Also nowhere near GOAT status as some people are saying. Though I'm only about to fight the second boss.

I'm enjoying my time a lot so far. Combat is very satisfying, gorgeous art direction. I feel the game should be 60fps though, it doesn't seem to be pushing the PS4 at all tech wise

Only gripe is the lack of any decent tutorials. I know that throwing you into the world and letting you figure things out on your own is done on purpose, and I like a challenge, but being obtuse for the sake of it isn't a good thing imo. Should at least be quick tutorials besides the occasional messages. I spent a couple minutes trying to see how I could equip weapons in the beginning of the game when that could have simply been explained real quick.

AmuroChan

Loving it so far. I've died a bunch of times, but every time I overcome a new area or beat a boss, I feel so accomplished. The art direction and creature design of this game is just phenomenal. I also highly recommend downloading the customized audio mode for your headsets.

eznark

Banned
I played about two hours of Demon's Souls and about an hour of Dark Souls and dislike the pace of the games. Felt like I always had to walk with my shield up and the combat was so slow.

I'm loving Bloodborne though. Just making everything slightly faster has made all the difference in the world.

Isotope

I died more than the number of fingers on my hands. I'm getting frustrated, but that's due to me not being cautious and patient.

I absolutely love this game.

Only gripe is the lack of any decent tutorials. I know that throwing you into the world and letting you figure things out on your own is done on purpose, and I like a challenge, but being obtuse for the sake of it isn't a good thing imo. Should at least be quick tutorials besides the occasional messages. I spent a couple minutes trying to see how I could equip weapons in the beginning of the game when that could have simply been explained real quick.

Everything you need to know in order to play is in the manual.

Ashler

I'm enjoying my time a lot so far. Combat is very satisfying, gorgeous art direction. I feel the game should be 60fps though, it doesn't seem to be pushing the PS4 at all tech wise

Wait... This is your first souls game? :eek:

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Good. I beat the first boss on my first try (used 20 blood vials though) and scoped out a bunch of the sewer without dying. I wish there was a quick warp back to hunters dream option, and I wish multiplayer was a bit more like the drop out drop in stuff from diablo 3. It doesn't feel all that punishing just yet.

Ran rp

I've been playing for a few hours and still haven't beaten the first boss but I'm loving it. At least two of those hours were spent in the character creator though, haha. Is there any way to check your play time?

Still trying to get past the first checkpoint but I'm enjoying it a lot even though I'm terrible at it. Excited to play some more today!

TomShoe

Banned
Getting my ass handed to me. I enjoy the challenge though. I might have to put BB off for a few days though, just got a FFXV demo code.

To be fair, as a player who played all of them, this one has the strongest start so far.

I can see why. I get gangbanged every time after the first checkpoint. Mostly because I draw like ten towards me and I can't lose them.

I'm having a blast, though. I rarely have a game challenge me on if I should fight an enemy or not.

D-VoN

I don't know how it doesn't hit 60fps either, especially with Dark Souls II achieving it. If we're using The Order as a benchmark for the PS4, Bloodborne hasn't achieved that level of graphical quality.

D23

Game is not for me. I wanted to relax after a long day of work and this game makes me even more stressed out.

I envy all u masochist who enjoy this game tho.

In a similar boat. I played Demon's and Dark, but didn't get far(got to the second "world" in Demon's and couldn't beat the Taurus demon in Dark). I just couldn't muster up the will power to keep going after dying so much.

With Bloodborne, I've only played for about an hour, but I want to keep playing, despite dying a few times already. The atmosphere and setting really reels me in. It's fun, too.

Elandyll

Banned
Only played for about 2hours or so last night (haven't made it to the first boss yet), but enjoyed my time a lot (even having never played a Souls game in my life), although I died quite a bit.

I will re-post my response made to someone (on another forum) who was saying that he wasn't planning on trying the game due to its hardcore "die often" reputation:

"You just have to take it slow, and strategize your play.

I died quite a few times last night, but it can pretty much all be summarized with:

- Trying to do something I was not supposed to do (and highly clued), like taking down the intro Werewolf mano a mano repeatedly, or taking down the huge Ogres with massive 2H cleavers that can in fact easily be bypassed
- Trying to hurry up and take on a mob of guys instead of picking them out a few at a time
- Underestimating the slow humans with the 2H sword/ Cleaver. They might have few HPs, but if they can land a hit and get in a frenzy, they can 2-3 shot you.

Basically, I am starting to get the hang of it as in: be smart, back off often and do some pre-emptive dodging instead of going all in. Often you will dispatch minor foes easily, but things can turn to sh* very -very- quickly, leaving you dumbfounded and ... dead.

Also, as long as you get back your Blood Echoes (generally by simply going back where you died and killing the guy who offed you), dying isn't a big deal (besides having to kill again foes you had already gone through, which makes opening shortcuts a high priority). It is both a learning experience, and an opportunity to get more items and Blood Echoes.

Also ... stuff can respawn behind you apparently. Found that out the hard way..."

Voidwolf

I only have a few hours logged in Demon's Souls and downed the first three bosses or so. Never got into Dark Souls until XBL gave the first away for free and when I found out the multiplayer didn't work I didn't bother with it. I must have put a little over 40 minutes into that one.

I was uninterested in Bloodborne up until about a week before release, for whatever reason the hype got to me and I pre-ordered digitally a few days later. I think I've sunk in more than 10 hours by this point, I've killed 5 bosses and am loving every second of this game. The combat, the level design, the weapons, the enemies... It's all so good.

I'm performing a lot better in this game than I ever did in my little time with its predecessors. With the exception of the
Blood-Starved Beast,
I've beaten each boss in less than 5 attempts, hell I beat the
Cleric Beast
on my first attempt and I'm using the Threaded Cane. I don't know if it's due to the slightly faster combat paired with the fact that I no longer have a shield to cower behind which is forcing me to be more aggressive or if the game is just that much easier but I love it nonetheless.

So yeah, wasn't a fan of the Souls games but I can't put this one down or stop thinking about it.

Flandy

Very oppressive atmosphere and I've died at least a dozen times in 6-8 hours I've played of it. Having a blast :D

Koh

The only thing i knew going in was that is expected that you die often. If i hadn't known that i would have been frustrated. Instead, i just plodded along.

I made some dumb mistakes, for over two hours i couldn't figure out how to equip my gun (its the 3rd and 4th slot, not the second. It also cannot be completed within the inventory).

My other issue was around not understanding the core game mechanics. I didn't know you could retrieve blood echoes from the enemies you died to. I went one way, would encounter a big enemy and die, then go another way. Once i realized that i started to build a stockpile to buy armor and survive enough to open short cuts.

I can't wait to play again tonight and tackle the first boss.

Az987

all good things
I've only played a little of Demon's Souls (got like 3 stages in) and I'm loving it. Ive died like 10 times so far and haven't gotten past the first stage but its all starting to come together I think.

Now I'm excited to go back to the other games once I get done with this.

I can't say I'm enjoying it much yet. There is no explanation for anything other then the random ghouls in the ground so I'm very confused on what is going on and how to play this. I spent 15 minutes trying to figure out what to do after the wolf first killed me. The graphics are pretty bad too.

However I understand I'm going to have to be patient with this game and learn the mechanics so I'm going to stick with it and hope for a big payoff, it usually does.

Zukkoyaki

I'm in love with this game! The atmosphere, enemy design, and music are all off the charts and it has some of the absolute best combat I've ever encountered in a game.

While I agree that the game is definitely tough, I'm not seeing where the insane difficulty comments are coming from. I beat the second boss last night and put in a total of about 4-5 hours and only died like 6-7 times. Maybe I'm just a natural at third person action games considering I beat the first boss on my first try without looking up any sort of help. Perhaps my long history of playing games like Devil May Cry and Bayonetta have helped me out in terms of being patient and studying enemy attacks/patterns. But everyone is different! So long as we're all enjoying the game, right?

So far it's probably my favorite experience on PS4 yet. It's soooo good and soooo fun even when I'm lost or dying. What everyone said about the past Souls games was absolutely true in regards to their intensity and how rewarding they are. My heart is constantly racing and it still going full throttle after toppling the bosses. Feels good man haha.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I don't think I ever even beat a SINGLE MOB in Demons Souls (never even owned DaS 1 or 2)

Started out rough.. really rough... getting the hang of it more... have to learn being aggressive while getting beaten on (to regen health). Also think I need to level endurance to support better combos amidst dodging.

Freaking awesome so far, it took half hour to get into the combat and i'm already at the 5th boss.

I did'nt played any of the Dark Souls games and played some Demon's souls, never finished it.

nynt9

I don't know how it doesn't hit 60fps either, especially with Dark Souls II achieving it. If we're using The Order as a benchmark for the PS4, Bloodborne hasn't achieved that level of graphical quality.

Souls games all have very large worlds that seamlessly transfer between areas, and you can often see future/past areas very far into the distance, whereas The Order is very linear and uses cutscenes to load small areas that are very blocked off.

As for DSII vs BB, the asset density in this game is a lot higher than any other Souls game, environments are so full of stuff and detail. It's not just trivial to add all that stuff.

Daft_Cat

I played through the opening sections for about 3 hours at my buddy's house last night. It's jolly. Not as hard as people make it out to be. You've just got to bend to the will of the systems. Habits carried over from easier games are what will kill you. Also, when you die repeatedly, there tends to be this urge to rush through the stuff you've already done so that you can push ahead. This "urge" (again, learned from other games) will only descend you further into the abyss. The early-game punishment is an effective tutorial.

Atmosphere and scenario remind me of a victorian Resident Evil 4. Game feels immersive in a way I'm not used to. The ultra-subtle storytelling is sublime. Before last night, I was interested in the game primarily for its aesthetics, but I walked away from it feeling pretty certain that I'll be buying it once my schedule clears up.

EhoaVash

Its tough but addicting

Im still in the first part of the game even after playing for 2 hours :( keep dying to due to stupid mistakes ..can't make it past the 2 wolves thing

craigrvr

Neo Member
Played an hour of Dark Souls and was interested at first until I found the pacing to be kind of slow. However I am loving Bloodborne because of its slightly faster pacing and also the focus on being an aggressive fighter than a defensive/ranged one is more of my style.

Very impressed so far.

It took me a while to get used to the controls etc...

Took me around 3 hours to get to and defeat the first boss (not sure if that's good or bad) but it felt like I had died loads of times.

Top Bottom