• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, all Bloodborne players who haven't played Souls before, how's it going?

grimmiq

Actually, yeah that's a big part of it. Or sometimes they'll just glide across the ground (slightly) to be in a better position to hit me.

That, and I think the fact that your HP gets lower and lower every time you die is also unfair.

The HP thing isn't a huge issue, thanks to the mix of Life Gems and Estus you have more than enough healing, there's also a ring you can get very early that caps it at 75% health, regardless of how many times you die.

mulac

Platinumed BB as my first ever FROM Software game and grabbed Dark Souls 2: Scholar relatively cheaply. Played up to Heide's Tower of Flame and enjoyed it alot...but that Dragonrider bossfight killed me...and I rage quit so much decided in the end to pack it in and returned the disc to the shop.

Beginning to regret it now as with DS3 coming soon (Which I will absolutely be there on day 1) and figure its a good idea to complete DS2...so its calling out to me again.

I do have DS1 on Steam but never got around to it.

Platinumed BB as my first ever FROM Software game and grabbed Dark Souls 2: Scholar relatively cheaply. Played up to Heide's Tower of Flame and enjoyed it alot...but that Dragonrider bossfight killed me...and I rage quit so much decided in the end to pack it in and returned the disc to the shop.

Beginning to regret it now as with DS3 coming soon (Which I will absolutely be there on day 1) and figure its a good idea to complete DS2...so its calling out to me again.

I do have DS1 on Steam but never got around to it.

definitely try dark souls if you can. It's probably better prep for Dark souls 3 anyway. harder, more obscure than ds2. make sure you get DSfix!!. I'm always surprised when people get stuck at dragonrider. for me its usually fume knight in the iron keep that trips me up.

grimmiq

definitely try dark souls if you can. It's probably better prep for Dark souls 3 anyway. harder, more obscure than ds2. make sure you get DSfix!!. I'm always surprised when people get stuck at dragonrider. for me its usually fume knight in the iron keep that trips me up.

Haven't played DS2 in a long time, did they patch out Dragonrider
falling off the ledge
? 1st 2-3 times I hid behind a shield and slowly chipped away at him, after seeing a speedrun I always did it the spoilered way.

mulac

Thanks. DS1 will be next on my list then as soon as I beat Rise of the Tomb Raider (hopefully this week!) - probabaly a good excuse to give my new Steam Controller a whirl.

Maddrical

Thanks. DS1 will be next on my list then as soon as I beat Rise of the Tomb Raider (hopefully this week!) - probabaly a good excuse to give my new Steam Controller a whirl.

Let us know how DS plays with the Steam controller, I'm interested in giving it a go for DS3 if it's better than the Xbone controller.

The_Dama

The game is so hard. I hate that they just put you in the game. No instructions at all. I mean I'm playing for hours and hours and I had no idea what the currency is used for until I saw YT video. Nothing is explained. Items you pick up are useless because you don't know what they are. So frustrating. A quick tutorial would have solved all the problems.

I'm still loving the game though.

I got it during finals week so I was only able to play up until the first boss. I think it's great, though I could tell my mindset needed to change in order to achieve maximum enjoyment. I kept progressing with a fear that I was missing something and from what I'm been told that's not the proper way to play your first time.

Maddrical

I got it during finals week so I was only able to play up until the first boss. I think it's great, though I could tell my mindset needed to change in order to achieve maximum enjoyment. I kept progressing with a fear that I was missing something and from what I'm been told that's not the proper way to play your first time.

It kind of is. Your first playthrough you'll never find everything, there is a crazy amount of stuff that is hidden away in the depths of the game. There's nothing game breaking and really important things will always be reasonably "easy to find". Just make sure you explore every path and take your time with the game. 99% of the time you explore something, you'll be rewarded. It might be something small like some blood echoes, or something big like a new weapon or an NPC. Either way, that to me is the best part of Bloodborne, exploration & a sense of dread around every corner not knowing what lies in wait.

GOOCHY

I received the collectors edition game guide today by Future Press. I'd definitely recommend it to new players who want maps, items, etc. at their fingertips. It runs about $20 so no big deal. Super high quality illustration and descriptions. I'm really happy with it.

Mezoly

Damn how bad did I screw up? clinic and NPC spoilers related to game ending items
I have sent Arianna to the clinic where I found her shoes there and I have aggro Ifoseka but she killed me and that was before the blood moon. Could I still get the umbilical cord after the blood moon from her? since Arianna is dead that mean Ifoseka cord is important.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I used to forgo arcane entirely thinking it was mostly useless but now I'm doing an arcane run and holy crap, I'm slaughtering everything. Executioner Gloves and Augur of Ebrietas are amazing.

mishakoz

Finally tackling this game. Dunno if ill do a LTTP.

1) I firmly believe there is nothing wrong with having difficulty modes. I see a lot of people argue back and forth about this on whether Souls game should have an easy mode and I say absolutely yes. I just don't see a downside to it other than maybe people losing pride over having beat it because now they share that distinction with other people who played it on easier difficulty. Anyway, I wouldn't call the game hard after the beginning, it just takes a lot of time to get there. And, for me, its less about "git gud" and more about "get some echoes, retreat back to the dream, level up and upgrade, go out and repeat." Grind until you can kill the next boss. Its a time sink more than anything and I had the same feeling when I played Demon souls. I spent time on that game and got nowhere.

2) The world feels very fake. Im going to catch a lot of flack for this, so ill explain. Yharnam is beautiful, I like how its just one continous monolith of a city, but there isn't any rhyme or reason to the layouts. You have people that say meaningless things from doors as if all they do is stand next to there door, people who do talk don't have moving lips, etc. It feels super video gamey and not at all immersive.

3) I don't think the game does a great job explaining things. It took me until recently to know how to Run, and I still am not sure what up on the d-pad does (I'm trying not to look things up) and there is a blue orb that launched me into the air, but it almost looks like a glitch so I'm not sure what that does. I also can't shake the feeling like there are other mechanics I'm missing completely.

BUT

the game is fun. I wouldn't have admitted it before but I am addicted. I wouldn't say Im loving this as much as... some people here, but I am having a great time. Im probably a little more grindy and a little less skill then the average player but I'm not sure i have another way. Currently stuck at the Vicar monster thingie, having a lot of trouble with it, but I can't wait to conquer it.

I still wish this game had an easier difficulty mode though. I want to enjoy this game but it takes hours I don't have. I probably have played for close to 10 hours now and I haven't beaten the third boss, and from the looks of it, there is a lot more game ahead.

1) I firmly believe there is nothing wrong with having difficulty modes. I see a lot of people argue back and forth about this on whether Souls game should have an easy mode and I say absolutely yes. I just don't see a downside to it other than maybe people losing pride over having beat it because now they share that distinction with other people who played it on easier difficulty. Anyway, I wouldn't call the game hard after the beginning, it just takes a lot of time to get there. And, for me, its less about "git gud" and more about "get some echoes, retreat back to the dream, level up and upgrade, go out and repeat." Grind until you can kill the next boss. Its a time sink more than anything and I had the same feeling when I played Demon souls. I spent time on that game and got nowhere.

2) The world feels very fake. Im going to catch a lot of flack for this, so ill explain. Yharnam is beautiful, I like how its just one continous monolith of a city, but there isn't any rhyme or reason to the layouts. You have people that say meaningless things from doors as if all they do is stand next to there door, people who do talk don't have moving lips, etc. It feels super video gamey and not at all immersive.

3) I don't think the game does a great job explaining things. It took me until recently to know how to Run, and I still am not sure what up on the d-pad does (I'm trying not to look things up) and there is a blue orb that launched me into the air, but it almost looks like a glitch so I'm not sure what that does. I also can't shake the feeling like there are other mechanics I'm missing completely.

BUT

the game is fun. I wouldn't have admitted it before but I am addicted. I wouldn't say Im loving this as much as... some people here, but I am having a great time. Im probably a little more grindy and a little less skill then the average player but I'm not sure i have another way. Currently stuck at the Vicar monster thingie, having a lot of trouble with it, but I can't wait to conquer it.

I still wish this game had an easier difficulty mode though. I want to enjoy this game but it takes hours I don't have. I probably have played for close to 10 hours now and I haven't beaten the third boss, and from the looks of it, there is a lot more game ahead.

The messages on the ground in the Hunter's Dream tell you how to run and what the d-pad does among other things. As for the "blue orb," it's not a glitch and you're not supposed to know what it is/what it does. At least not yet.

mishakoz

The messages on the ground in the Hunter's Dream tell you how to run and what the d-pad does among other things. As for the "blue orb," it's not a glitch and you're not supposed to know what it is/what it does. At least not yet.

yeah, but i didn't know those messages were there until recently. It has to also be one of the laziest ways to give the player instructions I have ever seen.

Servbot24

Banned

BUT

1. The theme of the Souls game is desolation, oppression, and sometimes even despair. If you add an easy mode, you take that away from the game, and you take away its heart. Once you do that, why does it even exist? From could have spent their time making a brawler or a walking simulator.

Sure, it wouldn't hurt the players who still choose to play on normal, that's not the issue. The issue is that providing an alternate mode which negates the purpose of the game is an arbitrary thing to do. If Call of Duty offered a "Let's just talk out our differences" mode it wouldn't hurt anyone, but it would not fit the theme of the game.

2. I actually get what you're saying, and I am guessing you may be someone who is used to open world games that try to be realistic. That's not what this is. BB/Souls is not ashamed of the fact that it's a video game, and its levels are designed to be good to play in rather than make perfect sense. Think of most 90s games - Mega Man, Mario, Castlevania, etc. The designs of the factories, castles and so on don't actually make logical sense in terms of being realistic. They're there primarily to conduct gameplay (something open worlds are usually bad at).

3. That's Souls for you. The game barely acknowledges your existence. Anything you want, you have to take for yourself. I find that truly invigorating.

Glad you are enjoying it despite the downsides, and yes, there is much more to see and it gets way crazier. :)

ghibli99

It took me a month, but I finally got my BB plat about a week ago. Only my second plat ever, and the first Soulsborne game I've ever finished.

I'm about 6 bosses into Demon's Souls now. It's rough around the edges, but I'm having a good time. :)

yeah, but i didn't know those messages were there until recently. It has to also be one of the laziest ways to give the player instructions I have ever seen.

I'm not sure which is lazier... Fromsoft's implementation of a non-invasive way of explaining basic controls/mechanics or not exploring the area 3 feet away from where you spawn every time you enter the hub.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a digital manual you can access on the PS4 that explains all the game's mechanics in detail?

w0s

Man this thread brings up lots of memories. As a bloodborne first person the past year has been intense. BB was my first and then played through DS1, DS2, and DS3. BB was the first game in ages that I played through twice before picking up a different game.

mishakoz

I'm not sure which is lazier... Fromsoft's implementation of a non-invasive way of explaining basic controls/mechanics or not exploring the area 3 feet away from where you spawn every time you enter the hub.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a digital manual you can access on the PS4 that explains all the game's mechanics in detail?

Non-invasive? I'm not sure I would classify it as that. It's very clearly "well we need to put the controls SOMEWHERE let's just litter this path with them. I didnt see it because you always enter the dream staring the opposite way. I mean, yeah, I should have seen it but I'm gonna say it would have been nice to do something similar to when they put them in the Sickroom at the game's beginning.

I didn't know digital manuals were a thing. I'm a big proponent of a game teaching you things. I understand that puts me at odds with Souls but organically learning how to play a game is something I enjoy a lot in other games.

And "that's SOULS for you" isn't an excuse I like. I get that it's its own thing and revels in that, but that doesn't protect it from what I think it legitimate criticism.

mishakoz

1. The theme of the Souls game is desolation, oppression, and sometimes even despair. If you add an easy mode, you take that away from the game, and you take away its heart. Once you do that, why does it even exist? From could have spent their time making a brawler or a walking simulator.

Sure, it wouldn't hurt the players who still choose to play on normal, that's not the issue. The issue is that providing an alternate mode which negates the purpose of the game is an arbitrary thing to do. If Call of Duty offered a "Let's just talk out our differences" mode it wouldn't hurt anyone, but it would not fit the theme of the game.
I'll give an example I'm more familiar with. I played Xcom and on easy, you don't get the feel of the game, but you get to experience it. On hard, you really feel like a severe underdog taking on the alien horde and you are probably going to get murdered. I get that.

But, I would never force Xcom's harder difficulty on other players that wanted to experience the game's entire campaign and just have a good time. I just don't see why choice here is a bad thing. If you want the "desolation and despair" choose "hard". If you want to experience the game, have an easier mode. It doesn't have to be a lot easier, just so I don't have to play for 10 hours and only experience a tiny part of the game.

"But you're not letting the players experience the heart of the game if they play on easy"

Yeah but let those players decide that for themselves, I would never tell someone "you have to play the game this certain way". Play on a mode that makes you happy, with the lights on or off, with a podcast playing in the background or whatever.

mishakoz

So im still trying to get through this game and ill admit, im near my end. At the nightmare of Mensis and enemies are still one-shotting me after I did a great deal of grinding to level 74. I dont know what I can do better, everything either kills me in one or two hits and then its over, and I have to get through so many soldiers, rock throwing monsters, another hunter, some weird child things, some women with axes and I still dont see the next lantern.

I dont know how you beat this. If its just "get good", well im pretty much as good as I think i can physically be. This game needs easier difficulty, or at least, and option to become over leveled.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So im still trying to get through this game and ill admit, im near my end. At the nightmare of Mensis and enemies are still one-shotting me after I did a great deal of grinding to level 74. I dont know what I can do better, everything either kills me in one or two hits and then its over, and I have to get through so many soldiers, rock throwing monsters, another hunter, some weird child things, some women with axes and I still dont see the next lantern.
You missed a shortcut. After the hunter, in the room with the weird child things, there's an elevator that takes you down and there's a lamp right there.

Mezoly

I dont know how you beat this. If its just "get good", well im pretty much as good as I think i can physically be. This game needs easier difficulty, or at least, and option to become over leveled.

You are really close to the end. That area has a lot of shortcuts you can unlock. I did run around a lot in that area avoiding enemies and unlocking shortcuts. Also have you played all of the optional areas? if not do those so you could level up more. Is your weapon +10? because in that area you should make it that. It's hard to find the +10 gem so I recommend looking it up.

czk

Typical COD gamer
IMO the game would have been alot better without the leveling system. Currently some Players are stronger than others so the difficulty varies for them. I fought some kind of big dog boss in a church, it was killing me in max 2 hits. Finally i watched some yt videos and the guy could take 5-6 hits. After that i decided that i dont want to spend several hours of grinding just to have the same difficulty as the YT guy.

Currently i'm playing the evil within which is also very opressive but its balanced much better.

Exentryk

I killed the second boss and haven't really felt like playing the game again. The atmosphere is too oppressive and it's not the sort of game I feel like playing after a long day.

Maybe I'll visit it again sometime.

myco666

How is your Vit? You really shouldn't be getting killed in one hit especially with that many levels.

IMO the game would have been alot better without the leveling system. Currently some Players are stronger than others so the difficulty varies for them. I fought some kind of big dog boss in a church, it was killing me in max 2 hits. Finally i watched some yt videos and the guy could take 5-6 hits. After that i decided that i dont want to spend several hours of grinding just to have the same difficulty as the YT guy.

Currently i'm playing the evil within which is also very opressive but its balanced much better.

Unless you haven't leveled Vit at all you shouldn't get killed in two hits in that fight.

ZombAid82

Very bad unfortunately :-(
Died at Father Gascoine ( or however he is written?) more times, than I'd like to admit,
even with the fucking clock
!
Stopped about 2 month ago.
I'm just a bad player, with little time to spare, so no more drive to play it.....
But my Char is already LVL 25 ;-)

bigjig

I doubt that's from leveling alone. Get some better armor.

Ferr986

He probably used more levels to upgrade his HP comparing to you. Hell, he may be lower level than you and still having more HP. This game it's an action RPG at its core, not an action game or an horror game, can't be compared to Evil Within or the likes.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Died at Father Gascoine ( or however he is written?) more times, than I'd like to admit,
!
I'm just a bad player, with little time to spare, so no more drive to play it.....

Don't worry about level. If it takes your being level 150 at the end of a first play through. . .so be it. You're not competing against anyone else. People have lowest level completed the game so anyone whinging about "Oh I beat BB at this level" is already at best average.

bigjig

!

Father Gascoigne is fairly rough especially considering how early in the game he is. He can be punished by parrying but if you're not confident doing that try to dodge towards him when he attacks rather than away

!

If you use the tiny music box (http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Tiny+Music+Box) during the Father Gascoigne fight you will trigger his beast phase early and if you continue to use it during the fight he will stagger which gives you time to attack him.

How to get the music box: https://youtu.be/4zbLCGHK-0c

Father Gascoigne can be very difficult the first time you fight him, but don't be intimidated, you can beat him.

ZombAid82

If you use the tiny music box (http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Tiny+Music+Box) during the Father Gascoigne fight you will trigger his beast phase early and if you continue to use it during the fight he will stagger which gives you time to attack him.

How to get the music box: https://youtu.be/4zbLCGHK-0c

Father Gascoigne can be very difficult the first time you fight him, but don't be intimidated, you can beat him.

Thanks, for the inspiring words, but yeah, as soon as he is the beast, he just slams me across the room, almost trashed the fing controller of rage, and I'm a hippie at heart ;-)
But i'll try again at some point, ext vacncy i'll give it another go.
It is so tedious to die 10 times in a row, and everytime you'll have to walk the whole way.

wiibomb

Thanks, for the inspiring words, but yeah, as soon as he is the beast, he just slams me across the room, almost trashed the fing controller of rage, and I'm a hippie at heart ;-)
But i'll try again at some point, ext vacncy i'll give it another go.
It is so tedious to die 10 times in a row, and everytime you'll have to walk the whole way.

if you activated the shortcuts you can be there with almost no work. If you didn't, you absolutely have, it is part of the design to have the lamp somewhat near the bosses for all those times dying to them.

lebowski4ever

Neo Member
decided to play this game over the course of a year or so...continuous play seems to either wind me up after failing many many times, or i end up switching the fucker off and sacking it, so gonna do it in between other games...

Top Bottom