• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, all Bloodborne players who haven't played Souls before, how's it going?

Dysun

edit-Read the OP wrong, but

Feels like a more fast paced and aggressive Dark Souls 1. (The only one I've played)

Loving it so far

fun.

Not as hard as I thought it was. Like playing Hotline Miami or Spelunky.

Needs patience, need to observe and learn from your mistakes as quickly as possible.

Draxal

I played a little of Dark Souls and didn't get close to the first boss, (I honestly didn't like the aesthetics in that game but love it in this one).

I'm past the second boss and enjoying the game, I do wish more of the weapons were unlocked from the beginning because the boss fights are fun and I wanted to see how the other weapons manage there.

I've gotten top the point where I've beaten the big dude in the alley and can consistently clear the street without much trouble. I've tried going in the sewers a few times with mild success. Haven't tried to get past the wolves yet cause my one fight with them was an absolute slaughter, but I think that's what I really need to start working on. I've bought the Hunter's gear and upgraded my cane. I've got 5,000 blood echoes and nothing to do with them. I'm definitely having fun. I didn't realize it would be this hard but I can feel myself improving.

Do you guys think that this is more to do with the game actually being better than previous Souls games or is it more because we just haven't tried it? I actually own Dark Souls 1 and 2 but never played them lol.

I'm thinking of picking this up now though because dat zeitgeist

Just one tip for every newcomer: Don't give up. It sounds dumb, but in every souls game and now Bloodborne there's a point where you get the game and then you're in for an unique experience, that nearly no other game has nowadays.

Will you guys be picking up the 60fps Dark Souls 2 down the line?

I don't think so. Saw some pretty nasty coments from expert players saying the original concept of the game fails to be fair and sometimes punish the player by doing something they just don't want the player to do.

guess I will pass this one until someone throws some coments on the new design for the remaster.

marcincz

Few hours and I'll start it. I am afraid, but very curious. My first "date" with Souls series. Hope to beat this game.

I'm enjoying my time a lot so far. Combat is very satisfying, gorgeous art direction. I feel the game should be 60fps though, it doesn't seem to be pushing the PS4 at all tech wise

Only gripe is the lack of any decent tutorials. I know that throwing you into the world and letting you figure things out on your own is done on purpose, and I like a challenge, but being obtuse for the sake of it isn't a good thing imo. Should at least be quick tutorials besides the occasional messages. I spent a couple minutes trying to see how I could equip weapons in the beginning of the game when that could have simply been explained real quick.

I feel the total opposite about this and love that FROM's games do this. It really fosters the whole community aspect of the game where you learn things from other players. And also discovering things for yourself and sharing with other players. Also fits with the whole aesthetic of the game as a bunch of lost souls in a mysterious world discovering things and leaving messages for others, etc.

galvenize

fun.

Not as hard as I thought it was. Like playing Hotline Miami or Spelunky.

Needs patience, need to observe and learn from your mistakes as quickly as possible.

You're good at video games. People who are good at video games are quick to adapt to Miyazaki's cruel worlds.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Overwhelmed at first.

And I don't really understand design decisions that keep you in the dark about the basic functions of the game.

It was the first time in years that I had to use the user manual to understand the currency, and hub world. And to see a controller graphic that mapped out all the button prompts for me. "Why do I keep hurting myself trying to cycle up through items!"

The game finally "clicked" for me, when I started to find and open shortcuts back to the spawn lamp. Beating the C
leric Beast
on my first try also gave me confidence to go on...

Very much feels like old school gaming. No hand-holding. Combat feels good. Loot drops are so rare they feel like true finds. Enemy and level design are unrivaled...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
First couple hours were rough. Almost shelved it after my first sitting. Got a bit of advice from GAF and went back to it after work and all of a sudden everything clicked. Wasn't dying much from mobs, got some new/upgraded gear, toppled a boss. Game is really good now. Just got the second boss down.

Rsinart

I am going to start playing tonight. Going into it only watching a few videos, and having never played anything like it before. I hope my anger doesn't get the best of me and I can stick to getting good at it and not give up.

I want to see more anger & frustration, even buy regrets. C'mon guys, don't hold it in.

I have to imagine you'll see that a lot more from the casual buyer who saw commericals of this game on TV never even playing a souls game before. Must be a really rude awakening for those people considering souls veterans are even having a good amount of difficulty in this game.

nynt9

Do you guys think that this is more to do with the game actually being better than previous Souls games or is it more because we just haven't tried it? I actually own Dark Souls 1 and 2 but never played them lol.

I'm thinking of picking this up now though because dat zeitgeist

I think the pacing of the early game is a lot better than DS1/2 and you're more clearly funneled to where you need to go while still having a lot of options as to how to get there. And after the first area, once you have shown that you're able to handle it, the game truly opens up with many paths to take.

I love this game. Even though it is very hard (I've died like 10 times already), I still find it very enjoyable. Hopefully, I will die less than usual once I get the hang of this game.

Dominator

I played Demon's Souls for about an hour before never touching a Souls game again, until now.

When this was first revealed I was immediately drawn to the artstyle and look of the game, and I wNfed to play it even though I was certain I wouldn't enjoy it.

Needless to say I played for about 8 hours yesterday and all I can say is it clicked, and I absolutely love it. It's hard no doubt, but as long as your careful it's extremely rewarding.

I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Progresskng slowly, but not getting frustrated when I die like on most games.

I think the jump in audio and sound design is way bigger than the jump in graphics.

The game is Damn tense. I like it but I can't really relax and enjoy it!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Couldn't this have been asked in the OT?

Almost positive a similar thread was shut earlier today.

Yeah, do we really need another Bloodborne thread.

The moderation team decides which threads get locked and which threads don't. Metadiscussion whining about a thread existing is against the rules and is completely counter-intuitive since it bumps the thread you're complaining about to the top of the thread list. BB is one of the only significant console releases in the entire year, and can in fact have multiple threads about it if the secondary threads are deemed relevant and interesting. Not deemed by you one way or another, though.

The best thing that happened to me on PS4 by a far margin. Brings back feelings from the NES era, reminds me a lot to Castlevania III.

gelf

Just one tip for every newcomer: Don't give up. It sounds dumb, but in every souls game and now Bloodborne there's a point where you get the game and then you're in for an unique experience, that nearly no other game has nowadays.
Yep, I was almost done with Dark Souls after dying so much at Undead Burg until finally it all clicked into place.

jiggles

Banned
I've gotten top the point where I've beaten the big dude in the alley and can consistently clear the street without much trouble. I've tried going in the sewers a few times with mild success. Haven't tried to get past the wolves yet cause my one fight with them was an absolute slaughter, but I think that's what I really need to start working on. I've bought the Hunter's gear and upgraded my cane. I've got 5,000 blood echoes and nothing to do with them. I'm definitely having fun. I didn't realize it would be this hard but I can feel myself improving.

You're very close to the point where you won't ever run out of stuff to spend your blood echoes on, so the game hasn't quite become what it really is yet.

You just have to make it to the boss. You don't have to beat it, but you do have to go through those wolves to get there. But you'll be glad to hear that you only ever have to fight them once if you play smart.

This has been my experience so far:

you_died_by_mog90044-d5pzihx.jpg

I killed the Cleric Beast on my first try...using like 10 Heal Potions, 3 Molotov Cocktails and 7 near-death experiences.

Father G is a PITA. I decided to go back to the intro areas and farm the hell out of the weaker mobs to get my level, weapons and armor up first.

I'm level 18 and everyone tells me to get to level 21 before I try Father G, so that's my plan ATM.

Tried Demon's and Dark Souls a number of times but could never get in to them. I'm super early, but I'm enjoying this a lot more. Setting is more interesting. Graphics are better. I'm liking the focus on faster dodge/attack aggressiveness.

Some of my big qualms with the Souls series still remain though. There is absolutely no reason the UI/Inventory menus need to be so vague and obtuse (the HUD is fine though), and I don't think any game should force you to choose a stat roll without giving you a clear understanding of what those stats mean (even if it's an overall summary like "Fast attack, but low damage/ De-emphasis on guns"). For example:

8JrsJt3.png

Everything under the first row is just bad UI design. There is no indication that the first row is meant for weapons and that the first two boxes are for your left hand while the second two are for your right. The only reason you can tell the second row is for clothing and what goes in each slot is because you start with clothing already in those slots. The third row is for quick items but again, no indication until you dive in. There are like ten ways that could be better designed.

OTHER THAN THAT! I'm liking the game so far. Looking forward to really diving in and I'm mad that I probably won't be able to do that today.

todahawk

I think the jump in audio and sound design is way bigger than the jump in graphics.

The game is Damn tense. I like it but I can't really relax and enjoy it!

The audio and sound really do stand out. I was in a quiet area for a moment (after coming out of the sewers) and I could hear these soft chimes clinking in the wind. It was a nice reprieve from the typical wailing, moaning, cries, and sounds of metal dragging on stone.

The visuals are still quite lovely and the attention to detail is outstanding. As I listened to the chimes I noticed smoke curling up an away from one of the lamps on the front of the house I was standing in front of.

IISANDERII

Never played any of these games and got no responses in the OT so this is exactly the right thread, thanks for posting.

MercuryLS

Banned
What this game does really well is kick your ass until you get better, the sense of accomplishment when you beat a tough enemy or section is great. The setting and faster pace compared to the Souls games is far more my style.

I'm really loving this game even though it's handing me my ass constantly, if it was slower paced and more defensive like the Souls games I would have quite by now.

nynt9

Tried Demon's and Dark Souls a number of times but could never get in to them. I'm super early, but I'm enjoying this a lot more. Setting is more interesting. Graphics are better. I'm liking the focus on faster dodge/attack aggressiveness.

Some of my big qualms with the Souls series still remain though. There is absolutely no reason the UI/Inventory menus need to be so vague and obtuse (the HUD is fine though), and I don't think any game should force you to choose a stat roll without giving you a clear understanding of what those stats mean (even if it's an overall summary like "Fast attack, but low damage/ De-emphasis on guns"). For example:

8JrsJt3.png

Everything under the first row is just bad UI design. There is no indication that the first row is meant for weapons and that the first two boxes are for your left hand while the second two are for your right. The only reason you can tell the second row is for clothing and what goes in each slot is because you start with clothing already in those slots. The third row is for quick items but again, no indication until you dive in. There are like ten ways that could be better designed.

OTHER THAN THAT! I'm liking the game so far. Looking forward to really diving in and I'm mad that I probably won't be able to do that today.

I think the UI is great once you know what it does, it just doesn't explain itself well at a first glance.

xch1n

Here, let me scratch your itch:

I timed myself because I knew it would be good. I played for exactly 41 minutes and 6 seconds. Died 5 times. It will never go back in my PS4.

I got about 30 minutes into Dark Souls, but everyone told me "Bloodborne is even better, so it will be worth it!" I'm out $60+.

Dunlop

I only played a bit of demon souls and hated it. I had a sick day yesterday and managed to ignore the hype, but reading first timers loving the game it's making my resolve weaken...

Surprisingly good! I feel like I'm getting a hold on the combat quite well, and I've beat the first two bosses. Took about three hours to explore and get used to things before fighting the first boss, but it feels good now :)

joshcam19

It's fantastic, great combat, amazing atmosphere, really deep. I fought the Cleric Beast last night and beat him on my first try, I didn't have any Molotovs and I hadn't got the hunter armor from the sewers yet. It felt good.

I really like it so far. I was dying alot but I've started to get the hang of the combat. The sense of fear and dread that you have in this game is unique. Maybe it will wear thin but so far, so good.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
After a good 5 hours I finally stumbled across, what I think is, the first boss. He smashed me out and I used all my consumables on him so I've went through a few rounds of echo gathering so I could build myself up before fighting again. Done that three times and I've been within like 1% away from killing him but haven't quite got there yet.

It's challenging and thrilling and all that but I'm starting to feel the strain of repetition. Every time I die, I start over. If I fight the boss and die, I have to go farm items. Same enemies every time. Then there's the times where I'm out there farming, I've gathered 3,000 echoes and I'm about to go stock up... Then I slip up and get killed. Whoops. There goes 30 min-1 hour of my time...

On one hand, the dream-world-lose-your-echoes dynamic adds so much to the tension and the satisfaction of victory. On the other, it almost feels cheap at times. I'm looking forward to playing again after work but I feel like I'm slowly approaching a breaking point where I say "fuck it. Not doing that again. The gameplay has become stale and I really don't care to torture myself further."

I like it so far. I really hope I continue to enjoy it to the end. It's hard for me to tell, at this point, what's going to keep me coming back 20 gameplay hours from now.

Also, the loading gives me just enough time to think that I should maybe do something else. Way too long to sit in a dark room stewing in my own anger and frustration.

nynt9

Here, let me scratch your itch:

I timed myself because I knew it would be good. I played for exactly 41 minutes and 6 seconds. Died 5 times. It will never go back in my PS4.

I got about 30 minutes into Dark Souls, but everyone told me "Bloodborne is even better, so it will be worth it!" I'm out $60+.

Is it because you died a lot or for some other reason?

Top Bottom