• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, all Bloodborne players who haven't played Souls before, how's it going?

Congrats! It felt like such a weight lifted when I finally made it through Defiled as well. As for the Red Jelly, did you grab the bit you find in the main game already? I picked up the others in Great Isz and that was a lot easier. I also prefer that Chalice to Loran, especially the echo farm that is Floor 3 :)

I got them from the main game. I'm going to the lower loran for the remaining Jellies.

Bulk_Rate

I personally beat the other Souls games before BB, and paid the price for the first few days w/ BB while I adjusted to the shift in combat styles.

My son (12 at the time he started BB) never played the other Souls games however but has become totally hooked on BB. I think it was the quasi-Steampunk setting which first drew him in, but before long he got absorbed into acquiring all the tools and weapons, and experimenting with different builds. I think he's beaten it three or four times now.

This is from a kid whose only previous completed 3D action/melee game was Mini Ninjas.

Here he is solo'ing Ebritas :) I am proud of the lad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdNFtDpDnCA

Fezan

Just ended bloodborne. I am glad I didn't used any guide to beat this game so every encounter was a surprise to me(except for father genocide) . But this also meant that I have missed many items and many of story stuff. Now I want to do a second playtrough. Should I start a never game or ng+? And is there a guide to follow to get all stuff and in correct manner

One disappointing thing was that I never got any better wepon. Ended the game with saw cleaver and first psitol.also the only armour I used was hunters armour. Tried loodwig holyblade and krick hammer. Krikhamer was useful in some situations.

Lastly I didn't tried any caliche deungon as I thought it was just random generated areas for pre existing bosses.

Resurrecting this thread to say that after 70 hours game save time, I've got the Platinum (I am the 5.6%). I've enjoyed talking with everyone in this thread. See you in November for the DLC!

MikeyB

It is not going well. I keep dying near the big bonfire. Often I can't get my blood echoes back.

Practice I guess. I hope I can get better with 30 minutes to play every 4 days or so.

It is not going well. I keep dying near the big bonfire. Often I can't get my blood echoes back.

Practice I guess. I hope I can get better with 30 minutes to play every 4 days or so.

You kinda need to take it very slow there and lure them in. Also, you don't have to kill all of them if you don't feel like it. Killing just some and then running past them is something you could try.

If you go past them, take a really good look around the next area before heading up to the bridge, you might find something that helps a lot.

Ralemont

not me
It's going okay. Nonlinearity screwed me a bit since I got stuck in the Unseen Village with the lightning beast kicking my ass for over an hour. Beat it then I figured out where I was supposed to go and having been running around 2-shotting everything and demolishing bosses....sigh.

I've played some Demon's Souls and Dark Souls (not enough to count myself anything but "vaguely familar" with the series), and I continue to think the whole "lose your souls and then slog back through the level just to get to the boss again" to be the pinnacle of bad game design, but controlling my Hunter just feels so awesome that it keeps me playing. Love my whip.

The story's....whatever? Been reading all the item descriptions and scouring the world like people say to and it's still mostly a whole lotta nothing going on. Art design is unmatched, though.

Parrying feels useless on bosses. Why would you risk dealing with the shitty parry delay when you can just dodge?

Parrying feels useless on bosses. Why would you risk dealing with the shitty parry delay when you can just dodge?

I'd say it depends on the boss. I can think of at least two of them, where parrying with good timing just wrecks the boss. But I mostly went with the dodge route too.

Ralemont

not me
Well, I got to the red moon and did a few bosses, but I think I've had enough. I was attracted to Bloodborne because 1. I like hard games and 2. the setting, but there's too many problems here for me to enjoy myself. My gripes about losing echoes and running through the stages turned out to be the least important, since those are avoided simply by not dying. This wouldn't be a problem if the camera was at all acceptable, which it isn't. Between constantly getting stuck near an object and being way too close to the Hunter during bosses, it feels like half the time I die it's from an attack I didn't see. I'd unlock the camera, except attack tracking is bad and rolling usually puts you in an unfavorable position compared to side-stepping. Bosses are also surprisingly dull with a few notable exceptions (Shadows was a great fight, most recently) as each new one is an exercise in finding some flashy new way to swipe at me as I sidestepped. Rom bucked this trend, but for such an epic leadup, the fight was a joke.

Maybe that's still a problem of nonlinearity. Generally speaking, I found the bosses either way too easy or too hard.

There were still some good experiences. Finding the ways in which the levels were connected (and surprises like Source of the Dream) were a treat, and the NPC questlines were pretty fun to get through. Flaming whips never get old. And the environment and art design are still some of the best I've ever seen.

Ultimately, though, I'll leave this game and series to those who enjoy it. It's not for me, but I hope they make a million more Bloodbornes for those who love it.

Me beating BSB after maybe 20 attempts. I lost count. I despaired and almost lost hope. It's like being in the ring with a relentless crazy Mike Tyson. I no longer bothered with oil urns and molotovs. So many times switching thru items cost me the fight. All I cared about was having Antidote ready. And later Pungent Blood Cocktails.

What a burden lifted. But it's all about gittin gud and instead of running away and hiding like a scaredy cat, standing toe to toe, mano a beasto.

http://youtu.be/2LFldL4rBn4

G.O.O.

Upping this because I just got the game as a birthday gift. I need to ask a few questions since I asked for it without knowing anything about the genre (never played a souls game and I stay away from games with RPG elements)

So right now I'm doing okay-ish but every choice I made was based on feelings rather than tactics. Chose the professional hunter because it looked cool and the main weapons because, well... I don't get what the numbers are supposed to mean - I can guess, but I have no idea how that will matter later in the game. So I just picked the first gun and the first melee weapon, since they seem to be the balanced choice.

I had the feeling that my skills were more important in this. Was I right, or should I care a little more about my choices ?

Fuchalmania

Upping this because I just got the game as a birthday gift. I need to ask a few questions since I asked for it without knowing anything about the genre (never played a souls game and I stay away from games with RPG elements)

So right now I'm doing okay-ish but every choice I made was based on feelings rather than tactics. Chose the professional hunter because it looked cool and the main weapons because, well... I don't get what the numbers are supposed to mean - I can guess, but I have no idea how that will matter later in the game. So I just picked the first gun and the first melee weapon, since they seem to be the balanced choice.

I had the feeling that my skills were more important in this. Was I right, or should I care a little more about my choices ?

I found this the most helpful article when starting out: http://www.craveonline.com/culture/...your-starting-class-and-weapons-in-bloodborne

Along with this video: https://youtu.be/NJxi_w6jwRg

Both will answer your questions better than I could, and will set you on the right path.

May the good blood guide you.

Kosma

Banned
Playing DS2 after BB, and while I enjoy the build options the lack of atmosphere compared to BB is really shocking.

GOOCHY

I'm stuck on Vicar Ameila and put the game down for awhile. I keep reading that she's one of the easier bosses but I just can't seem to beat her. I beat the BSB, Father, etc. without too much of an issue to be honest, but this one just keep whacking me.

myco666

I'm stuck on Vicar Ameila and put the game down for awhile. I keep reading that she's one of the easier bosses but I just can't seem to beat her. I beat the BSB, Father, etc. without too much of an issue to be honest, but this one just keep whacking me.

If you haven't explored Hemwick yet you maybe should go there first. It is to left before Amelia. You get bunch of Echoes to level up and Twin Shards so that you can get your weapon to +4 - +6 making Amelia easier.

GOOCHY

If you haven't explored Hemwick yet you maybe should go there first. It is to left before Amelia. You get bunch of Echoes to level up and Twin Shards so that you can get your weapon to +4 - +6 making Amelia easier.

That may be the answer. I only have +2 on my weapon now, I believe. I went to the right of Amelia and saw one of the hunters with the lightning and turned back around. Seemed like I'd get my arse handed to me.

Amalia is pretty easy
Such a helpful post!

Amelia can be easy if you're properly prepared but if you go in at a fairly low level (particularly with low vitality) and/or a low level weapon it can be a rather tough fight. myco666 is right, it's a good idea to go to Hemwick first and also to get your weapon leveled up a bit.

People always talk about certain bosses being easy or hard and it's true that some are inherently tougher than others but at the end of the day this is still an RPG. Your level and equipment matter.

Ferr986

That may be the answer. I only have +2 on my weapon now, I believe. I went to the right of Amelia and saw one of the hunters with the lightning and turned back around. Seemed like I'd get my arse handed to me.

A +2 weapon is really low for that fight, you should level it up further.

Go to Hemwick, is the opposite site of where those hunters are. Not only you'll get lot of souls there to level up your character, but also items to level up your weapon.

When you're done there you'll be ready to face Amelia.

GOOCHY

Thanks for this advice. I put the game down for awhile while I worked through my backlog a little bit. Picked it back up over the past couple of days and going into Hemwick to level up my character and weapon a little bit was the answer. I also beat the Hemwick Witch too so that was a plus.

GOOCHY

I've been stuck on Rom for 4-5 tries now. Might invite someone in to help me out pretty soon.

In other news, I ordered the Collectors Edition Guide for Bloodborne. Hard back, 500 pages of art and other goodness. I couldn't turn it down for $20. Loving the game - so I know I'll use it again when I go through a NG+ run and/or start to explore the PvP part of the game.

myco666

I've been stuck on Rom for 4-5 tries now. Might invite someone in to help me out pretty soon.

In other news, I ordered the Collectors Edition Guide for Bloodborne. Hard back, 500 pages of art and other goodness. I couldn't turn it down for $20. Loving the game - so I know I'll use it again when I go through a NG+ run and/or start to explore the PvP part of the game.

4-5 tries isn't that bad to be honest. What you should do in that fight is to kill the at least the first batch of little spiders so that you can dish out maximum amount of damage on Rom without having to worry about getting hit. If you have Bolt Paper or Fire Paper you get even better results. For the second and third phase you either kill the spiders or do hit-and-run tactics only on Rom while dodging the little ones.

DavidDesu

I briefly tried Demon's Souls on PS3 but it wasn't for me. As for Bloodborne. Incredible.

I'm still quite rubbish at it, but two bosses in and I love it. I think the best part is just how every time you unlock an extra little part of the map, open up a gateway that takes you back somewhere, and you begin to learn the enemies and how to approach them... it just becomes so satisfying and you feel like you make these small advancements all the time. I love that sense of getting deeper and deeper in and mastering parts that at first terrified you. The levelling up is simple and you can really feel and see the difference as you go back over previously conquered areas and enemies you hated now feel so much easier. you are continually building in confidence and power as well as simply mastering the combat controls as you go too. It's very satisfying.

The bit leading up to the boss on the roof... absolutely terrified me when I first approached it, wanting to stay clear of his gun but knowing I'd have to go right in the line of fire.. PANIC PANIC PANIC oh that looks like a safe spot... rushes for it... FUCK CROWS... I die from a bunch of pitiful enemies swamping me at once. Frustrating but you have to hand it to the game. Next time... you think ahead, you plan your attack, you switch to the weapon stance that does more widespread damage and you go back in... eventually it works. I love that bit by bit progress. It's constantly challenging and constantly daring you to takes risks. Sometimes they pan out, sometimes they brutally demean you and rob you of your souls. But in you go back again. The atmosphere absolutely pulls you in. You WANT to go back in even though you're literally standing about at times, afraid to move on to the next lurking danger you can spot, or afraid of the ones you can't.

A sublime game. I'm SOOOO glad I bought this and gave it a shot, it was a brutal first few hours but getting the hang of it got me hooked. So much more left to do, I hope I can carry on (I think I'm massively over levelled for where I am in the game so I do worry about my progress later on...)

Shaneus

So this is a thread, huh?

This was literally my first experience playing any kind of Souls game. First I was getting frustrated because I couldn't beat the first few enemies I came across, then I realised there were weapon pickups in the dream area (whatever it's called). Also didn't know how those hint things worked around each area... do people play with them on or off? Do you get any bonuses if people find them useful? Got progressively further around Yarnham, but realised I could kinda save the blood points (in-game currency) to buy items if I didn't die and went back to the dream area.

Eventually worked out that you don't really have to kill a lot of enemies and if you aren't confident, it's almost always better to run past or retreat. I'm still at Yarnham and haven't defeated the first boss yet, but I'm getting there. Just trying to get used to aiming the molotov cocktails, that seems to help. Oh, and learning how to use the pistol, it seems pretty much useless right now unless I need to get the attention of an enemy (even then, it takes a few shots to hit them).

Loving the fuck out of the game though. I never play enough of it, and when I'm not I always have ideas on how I can approach certain areas/enemies differently. Upgrading attributes opens it up a lot too, when I lost to the first boss and gained that ability, really expanded on the possibilities.

myco666

So this is a thread, huh?

This was literally my first experience playing any kind of Souls game. First I was getting frustrated because I couldn't beat the first few enemies I came across, then I realised there were weapon pickups in the dream area (whatever it's called). Also didn't know how those hint things worked around each area... do people play with them on or off? Do you get any bonuses if people find them useful? Got progressively further around Yarnham, but realised I could kinda save the blood points (in-game currency) to buy items if I didn't die and went back to the dream area.

Eventually worked out that you don't really have to kill a lot of enemies and if you aren't confident, it's almost always better to run past or retreat. I'm still at Yarnham and haven't defeated the first boss yet, but I'm getting there. Just trying to get used to aiming the molotov cocktails, that seems to help. Oh, and learning how to use the pistol, it seems pretty much useless right now unless I need to get the attention of an enemy (even then, it takes a few shots to hit them).

Loving the fuck out of the game though. I never play enough of it, and when I'm not I always have ideas on how I can approach certain areas/enemies differently. Upgrading attributes opens it up a lot too, when I lost to the first boss and gained that ability, really expanded on the possibilities.

Umm you know there is a lock-on? You make it sound like you don't use it if you have to aim molotovs or don't hit with guns. Guns are used for parrying. So if you time your shot correctly you can get enemies opened up for visceral attacks that deal very high damage.

Rating notes fine will give the person who left it all his health back so you might want to put some down yourself.

fvng

I'm very happy for you as well. So happy.

Why are you so happy about not summoning another player? It's actually pretty awesome playing co-op.

you dont understand why one would gain a feeling of satisfaction from never having to have to call on someone else for help?

it was important for me not to do so. I remember finally caving and asking someone for help at the very end of demon's souls and he wiped the floor with the boss and i barely did shit which killed the whole satisfaction of beating the game on my own

Shaneus

Umm you know there is a lock-on? You make it sound like you don't use it if you have to aim molotovs or don't hit with guns. Guns are used for parrying. So if you time your shot correctly you can get enemies opened up for visceral attacks that deal very high damage.

Rating notes fine will give the person who left it all his health back so you might want to put some down yourself.
The lock-on works for projectiles? Fuck. Though I thought I tried it with both molotovs and guns but they missed completely, maybe there's a distance/accuracy skill I need to improve.

But yeah, that's how beginner I am at this. Still love the difficulty curve though.

LukasF

Nice!

So about Rom,
I've never beaten her on my NG characters without using Blood of Adella. NPC summons were both unhelpful, Mensis scholar was particularly useless. But Adella's blood's regen ability helped immeasurably in the final 3rd of the fight.

Other than that, I'd say actually ignore the first wave's spiders and do as high DPS (damage per second) as possible against her mid side, then in subsequent waves, take out maybe half the spiders before heading for Rom. Attack her on the side that has the least spiders, obviously... and watch out for the flopping. Bolt paper's great, max'd out flamethrower even better.

(some people don't attack the spiders at all ever, that worked for me my first time through the game, but you need reeeally high DPS for that to work... others kill every single spider, I find that risky but do what you gotta.)

((dodge the homing meteors by running sideways, in a tangent direction with relation to Rom))

GOOCHY

Nice!

So about Rom,
I've never beaten her on my NG characters without using Blood of Adella. NPC summons were both unhelpful, Mensis scholar was particularly useless. But Adella's blood's regen ability helped immeasurably in the final 3rd of the fight.

Other than that, I'd say actually ignore the first wave's spiders and do as high DPS (damage per second) as possible against her mid side, then in subsequent waves, take out maybe half the spiders before heading for Rom. Attack her on the side that has the least spiders, obviously... and watch out for the flopping. Bolt paper's great, max'd out flamethrower even better.

(some people don't attack the spiders at all ever, that worked for me my first time through the game, but you need reeeally high DPS for that to work... others kill every single spider, I find that risky but do what you gotta.)

((dodge the homing meteors by running sideways, in a tangent direction with relation to Rom))

I just finished him solo using primarily the Flamesprayer (+4) - it was a bit of a battle but it ended up working out. I took out the first wave of small spiders and took him down to maybe 2/3 health. Then in the subsequent waves I just focused on dodging his attacks and trying to avoid the lunging smaller spiders. With some fleet footwork I was able to pull it off.

The Bloodborne guide is incredible. You'll love it. The Old Hunters guide is also fantastic.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
The lock-on works for projectiles? Fuck. Though I thought I tried it with both molotovs and guns but they missed completely, maybe there's a distance/accuracy skill I need to improve.

They can still miss when locked on if the enemy moves suddenly. Either way, lock on is the easiest way to get a hit, so you should use it.

Safe Bet

Banned
The first boss clipped through itself (upper body clipped through lower body) to kill me.

I haven't been back to it since.

There is simply no time for hypocrisy in my life.

Might give it another go to see if the game can be as demanding from itself as it is from me.

I just thought I'd check in. Never played anything Souls before playing Bloodborne. I got the platinum for BB a couple of weeks ago and have done about half of the DLC. It is my personal game of the year. I loved it so much, I went out and got DS II for PS4. So far, I am not liking it as much as I did Bloodborne, but it's still a pretty cool experience.

It feels less fair in some ways than Bloodborne in terms of gameplay. Is that strange of me to say?

grimmiq

I just thought I'd check in. Never played anything Souls before playing Bloodborne. I got the platinum for BB a couple of weeks ago and have done about half of the DLC. It is my personal game of the year. I loved it so much, I went out and got DS II for PS4. So far, I am not liking it as much as I did Bloodborne, but it's still a pretty cool experience.

It feels less fair in some ways than Bloodborne in terms of gameplay. Is that strange of me to say?

I'm guessing by unfairness you're talking about things like the tracking overheads (Enemy starts a big overhead swing, you dodge too early and they instantly spin on the spot, mid-swing and hit you.)?

I'm guessing by unfairness you're talking about things like the tracking overheads (Enemy starts a big overhead swing, you dodge too early and they instantly spin on the spot and hit you.)?

Actually, yeah that's a big part of it. Or sometimes they'll just glide across the ground (slightly) to be in a better position to hit me.

That, and I think the fact that your HP gets lower and lower every time you die is also unfair.

Top Bottom