• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, all Bloodborne players who haven't played Souls before, how's it going?

I played about an hour of Dark Souls but this is really my first Souls game and thus far I've beat Cleric Beast on my second try, Father Gascoigne on my second try, Blood Starved Beast on my first try, and the Witch of Hemwick on my first try. Going for Vicar Amelia when I play some more tonight.

This game is a lot easier thus far than people make it out to be on here. I'm usually someone who plays games on the hardest difficulty possible from the get go though so maybe I'm somewhat more accustomed to the difficulty curve.

...watch me say that and get wrecked by Amelia lol.

Atheosuede

Neo Member
I played about an hour of Dark Souls but this is really my first Souls game and thus far I've beat Cleric Beast on my second try, Father Gascoigne on my second try, Blood Starved Beast on my first try, and the Witch of Hemwick on my first try. Going for Vicar Amelia when I play some more tonight.

This game is a lot easier thus far than people make it out to be on here. I'm usually someone who plays games on the hardest difficulty possible from the get go though so maybe I'm somewhat more accustomed to the difficulty curve.

...watch me say that and get wrecked by Amelia lol.

This is one of the reasons why I love FROM games so much. The games challenge you to actually think from a different perspective. Being a veteran gamer, and one that has played mostly heroic and more challenging difficulty levels, you probably understand HUDless displays and having a lack of resources better than the average gamer.

On the other hand, I have friends who only play Ubisoft games and have spent 10+ hours at the first bonfire mob in Central Yarnham hacking away with the Hunter Axe because it "looked cool", not because it fit their play style.

Oh and good luck with Amelia! Fun fight, and one of the tougher bosses I've encountered thus far. Only on boss number 6 now!

Ask the same thing earlier this morning, tip list above.
Basically,
stay close, charge towards her, which will position you behind her, fire paper will increase blade damage, and the mist potion will prevent her from healing

As I mentioned on the last page use
Fire Paper. At half health I remembered I had some Fire Paper and so I used it for the extra damage. Her health melted as it staggered her a few times. Found her to be super easy consequently.

Here is a video of my kill of her - this was my 7th attempt btw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqXquwe7yL8

Thanks for the help guys! I was able to beat her last night and god damn did it feel good. Now onto whatever is next in Bloodborne...

Neoweee

This game is sooo good. Died a couple of times trying to kill bsb and when I finally killed him I screamed and trembled from the adrenaline. Felt so good to put this beast down :D

But I am getting shredded to pieces in the unseen village. Pretty strong kicking mofos.

Contrary to the advice of others, you really can do that area now if you want. There are some FANTASTIC rewards to doing it early. Souls, upgrades, gear... but you'll really need to understand the range and timing and stun of whatever weapon you're using to deal with the kickers.

Having a coupe of days away from the game as I'm out of town at the moment, can't wait to get back to it and try BSB.

Feel much more confident in moving and dodging now. I think part of my problem was that I was too scared to get up close and personal with the bosses and they were tearing me apart due to this.

Mobs on the other hand are a piece of cake apart from
those Giants after Father, that spinning ball chain guy and that proper giant guy with the Axe......

I took down father G fairly easily. My advice for the first part of the fight would be too just circle him around one of the trees and graves. He kinda gets stuck and will use a move toward the outside of the graves..run in hit and get away. Repeat.

Kaiken

Banned
Old Yharnam
Djura Gatling Gun Hunter on the Clock Tower
How many of you actually took his health down to zero? After my fourth fight with him he decided to defeat himself.

Thanks!

Might have to stay away from here and the OT as both are getting very loose.

2-3 hours of exploring around, leveling up and I beat the Cleric boss on my 3rd try. Now I'm feeling like own the world which I sadly know that it won't last long XD

I'll be honest, I never played a souls game and I was fully expecting to hate the game cause I don't necesarily enjoy difficult games like this but hey I'm actually having blast. So much so that after this I'm going to give Dark Souls 2 a shot.

Zafir

Old Yharnam
Djura Gatling Gun Hunter on the Clock Tower
How many of you actually took his health down to zero? After my fourth fight with him he decided to defeat himself.

Thanks!

Might have to stay away from here and the OT as both are getting very loose.

I wasn't even intending to cheese him. He fell of as soon as I attacked him, lol. :(

Wtf is with Rom?
You can't do anything without 30 spiders just one shotting you

Well, you can go off and level your vitality, but yeah. Wasn't an issue when I did it myself because I had enough HP to take any hits that may have gotten to me, but after I kind of disliked helping people kill him at first because the co-op ghost health penalty meant I got one shotted.

benjammin

Any tips for the witches of hemwick?

the mobs spawn near where the witches are, so you should be able to find them pretty quickly. Also look for the floating red orb as that will clue you in to where they're hiding as well. Other than that, keep moving and don't let the mobs gang up on you. It's a really simple fight when you figure out what's going on

Zafir

Any tips for the witches of hemwick?

They each seemed to have a movement pattern on where they teleport to. Just focus on killing the witches and ignore the adds. The first witch starts in the corner left of you as you enter the room. Then she teleports to the left corner at the back iirc. The second one was especially repetitive with her movement pattern, when her bar pops up she starts in a corner, then she teleports under the bridge thing, and then she alternated between those two points every time I helped people do her.

I have seen them in other positions but I'm not sure what causes that, it may be if you don't manage to find her in time it breaks the pattern or something.

sora87

Hmm I have pretty high HP but
the spiders still overwhelm after a while, unless you're literally meant to just go in and get one hit then run back out again, which would make this a super long boss fight.
I hate how
there's hardly any enemies on the way too so no health vials :/

Zafir

Hmm I have pretty high HP but
the spiders still overwhelm after a while, unless you're literally meant to just go in and get one hit then run back out again, which would make this a super long boss fight.
I hate how
there's hardly any enemies on the way too so no health vials :/

Yeah, you can either hit and run or you could kill all the spiders if you wanted. Either way works. I personally killed the spiders the first phase, and then decided it wasn't worth the hassle after he teleported so I just kept running in hitting him and running out again.

I think he's weak to electricity. If you have any bolt paper, that may make his health go down a bit more for you?

Wtf is with Rom?
You can't do anything without 30 spiders just one shotting you

Rom's spider minions, much like Rom himself, take reduced damage from frontal attacks. Attack them from the sides or from behind to finish them quickly. And like Zafir said, the spiders are weak to bolt, so bring Bolt Paper or wield Tonitrus to make short work of them.

Bait the spiders into doing their leaping attack, then flank them. But like every other encounter in Souls game, don't attack if it leaves you open to another enemy in the vicinity.

Shredderi

Fucking fuck! I'm sorry for swearing but I'm getting really pissed off at the
White hunter in the byrgenwerth mansion. She has killed me 7 times. Shadow of yharnam took me only three tries in comparison. The fucker keeps one shotting me with her op blue homing spell. I know it can be interrupted but fuck me if I'm a little too far from her I'm a goner.

eot

Banned
Fucking fuck! I'm sorry for swearing but I'm getting really pissed off at the
White hunter in the byrgenwerth mansion. She has killed me 7 times. Shadow of yharnam took me only three tries in comparison. The fucker keeps one shotting me with her op blue homing spell. I know it can be interrupted but fuck me if I'm a little too far from her I'm a goner.

Just run around the staircase, it will absorb most of the damage. Equip the rune that gives resist against arcane, you can find it outside the house. You can also equip the white church garb, it has good arcane resist.

Also, parry.

What was the deal with this other hunter following me around in old yarham and running away when I turned to attack him?

He for some reason decided to follow me down below the citadel but didn't take the ladder and fell to his death... I got some sort of hunter mark from him.

What was the deal with this other hunter following me around in old yarham and running away when I turned to attack him?

He for some reason decided to follow me down below the citadel but didn't take the ladder and fell to his death... I got some sort of hunter mark from him.
Yeh I dunno either. I thought he glitched out on me. He just stood in a corner watching me. I kept attacking him but he still never retaliated.

Shredderi

Just run around the staircase, it will absorb most of the damage. Equip the rune that gives resist against arcane, you can find it outside the house. You can also equip the white church garb, it has good arcane resist.

Also, parry.

Yeah, I remembered that parry existed again and beat her. Now to beat
Rom. His ice meteors are kicking my ass.

Shredderi

Rom's ice things stunlock me if one hits me essentially one shotting me. Might be done with the game for today. Has gone pretty badly for me today.

eot

Banned
Rom's ice things stunlock me if one hits me essentially one shotting me. Might be done with the game for today. Has gone pretty badly for me today.

Try the Arcane resist gear I mentioned above. Also, if you stay close you can bait other attacks that are easier to avoid.

Melchiah

The
shooter on the roof
in the Old Yarnaham managed to kill me on the first time, but I managed to get my ~10,000 Blood Echoes back the next time. Tried two times to beat the
other Hunter
nearby, but didn't succeed as the bastard
heals himself.
I'm now concentrating on exploring the area further on, and opening short cuts. Love the mood of the place.

Shredderi

Try the Arcane resist gear I mentioned above. Also, if you stay close you can bait other attacks that are easier to avoid.

I'm so bad at the game. I always fail to think about the different gears and their resistances. Thank you for your advice. Lord knows I could use it right now :D Just the whole woods area somehow got under my skin, making me be a little on the edge and more easily frustrated than normal, which no doubt has been one of the reasons for my admittedly poor performance today.

I've been playing since it's preload (when life affords me any time - it's now spoken for) & I can't get enough of it. In fact, if it wasn't for Hotline Miami 2, I'd say this was the only game that mattered to me this year. This game is so wonderfully challenging and that just doesn't happen on consoles anymore. Companies have been over-worried for far too long at having scaling difficulty levels and checkpoints that they forgot how to make games that people get so engrossed in they can't think of anything else. It's so wonderful to play something that's difficult and fair as you're forced to learn and adapt.

The depth of exploring in this game is wondrous. This last week has been amazing just coming into work and talking strat / item locations / area exploring with my two work buddies who also have the sickness that's kept us somehow all out of work the same days this past week. :) My risk / reward yomi game started by my email to my boss on release day using the world 'blood borne'. Silly I know, but I've been loving it. I'm now 'in it to win it' as they say for the whole Souls experience and have pre-ordered DSII for next week's drop.

Progress report: I think I'm around level 84 and I've been getting my ass kicked between trying to beat either
Amygdala & or Ebrietas
. Every time I ring my beckoning bell I wait for ages with no dice, but shortly after I ring the small resonant bell, I'm helping somebody beast up on those two. I've got my network settings on World without any password. Seems that the good method of connecting with friends via reddit is no longer as effective after the latest patch. Anybody else notice this?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I think i may be the worst player of Bloodbourne ever.

Haven't even got to the part where I unlock levelling. I am that bad.

Im refusing to look at video tutorials....but im wavering....
Use a madman's knowledge. Don't have to get to the boss.

TyrantII

Do you mean I will gain blood echoes from beating the boss, as well as not lose any if I die? Interesting.

Yup. When you help someone else you wager nothing while in their session, and gain 1/2 the blood echos you normally would, plus 1 insight for killing the boss.

Your pool back in your world is safe and wont be touched.

Obviously if you invite someone into your session, same SP rules apply (and you use one insight to request help).

Raiden

Banned
Just killed the third boss and being completely new to the series the thing i learned that are most valuable against bosses is dodge and fucking visceral parry's. Before anything learn that. Im really loving it Yarnham has a hold on me even though it makes my blood boil from time to time.

Edit: also repair your weapon from time to time, damn.

What the requirement for entering the chalice dungeons? I hava a chalice but says I am not meet the requirements for enter, also who do I coop in chalice dungeos?

So I am feeling pretty good about myself right now. I just beat the
Blood Starved Beast
. First attempt last night was just to see his attack patterns and get a feel of how to beat him, managed to get him down to a quarter health and died. My second attempt was a bit shocking and I got got destroyed pretty quickly. I think I got a bit too cocky. However third go, just a few minutes ago I did it. 1 blood vial left, a little health and I did get a little panicky towards the end, but managed to get it done. This game continues to make you feel amazing when you make progress.

Finally beat
blood starved beast
on what must have been my 10th try, so many times I got him under a third health but just couldn't finish him off.

So happy and relieved when the slaughtered message finally appeared.

Alright.. played a bunch earlier after making yet another character that I think I'm happier with..

I'm starting to feel like I get the game, although I still do things like hit triangle button to two hand my weapon on occasion.

Still learning the layout of the first area, and the optional stuff is kicking in. It's pretty cool.

Raiden

Banned
Finally beat
blood starved beast
on what must have been my 10th try, so many times I got him under a third health but just couldn't finish him off.

So happy and relieved when the slaughtered message finally appeared.
I hear ya. Just changed my PS4 settings to English because "prooi geslacht" (my native language is dutch) doesnt have that ring to it. The game just becomes more fun everytime you progress with a boss!

Top Bottom