• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony demands appropriate investigation over Qatar winning World Cup 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

Fuck off, Sony (and Adidas and VISA). Now that the public opinion is veering against the World Cup in Qatar it's easy to jump on the bandwagon.
It does not matter why they're pulling out, only that they do. It's like giving rich people shit for giving money to the poor for PR purpose. Just let them do the right thing, when they do it.

Jonnax

The six main partners would get replaced by competitors in a flash

Sony = Samsung or Microsoft
Adidas = Nike
Visa = Mastercard
Coca-Cola = Pepsi or Red Bull
Emirates = Qatar Airways or Etihad
Hyundai/Kia = I'm sure there are plenty of car companies that would be interested

Over a thousand people are dead making the stadiums. You think companies will line up to be a sponsor?

Syriel

dresscode.png

What's wrong with the 3rd person? No shoulders or knees exposed. Does she need a Burka?

Muffin top not allowed.

Goes against Qatari traditional values you know.

SUCK THAT SHIT IN!

xbhaskarx

World Cup 2022 special report: No legal action for Qatar if Fifa strips country of tournament

Qatar will not be able to mount a legal challenge to Fifa if football's governing body strips it of the right to stage the 2022 World Cup. As controversy continues to rage over allegations of corruption surrounding the bid process, it has emerged that Qatar agreed to sign away its right to take any form of legal action against Fifa when it made its original tender for the tournament in 2010.

The Independent on Sunday can also reveal that a mechanism is available to football's governing body to order a new vote whereby infringements of its code of ethics are cited.

Qatar, which denies all corruption allegations, is now facing a major fight to hang on to the World Cup, and the subject is certain to feature strongly when Fifa holds its congress in Sao Paulo on Wednesday, one day before the 2014 World Cup opens.

It had been assumed that one reason Fifa might fail to order a revote for 2012 was fear of legal action by Qatar. But the legal officer of one of the bidding nations told The IoS: "All the bidding countries had to sign a registration document in which they agreed to be bound by Fifa's code of ethics. In a normal contract with an organisation based in Zurich, you would expect the agreement to be subject to Swiss law.

But Fifa's code makes it clear that all disputes are decided by the appeals committee of Fifa's ethics committee. The appeals committee can be taken to the Lausanne-based Court of Arbitration in Sport. But this is a special arbitration body for sport, not a court of law.

''So should Fifa decide to have a revote, Qatar cannot take Fifa to a Swiss court. All bidding countries knew they were giving up their legal rights when bidding for the World Cup. But so keen are countries to get the World Cup, they happily agreed to do so."

This did not seem to matter at the time of the bidding as nobody expected to Qatar to win. Since then, the decision has proved so controversial that Fifa hired former US attorney Michael Garcia to investigate both the 2022 vote and the 2018 vote in which Russia beat England. Mr Garcia will complete his report tomorrow, although it will not be submitted to Fifa until next month.

xbhaskarx

Hyundai demand Qatar probe

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...calls-for-probe-into-sunday-times-allegations

Hyundai have become the latest top-tier sponsor to demand a "thorough investigation" into corruption allegations over Qatar's 2022 World Cup bid.

Sony, adidas and Visa all spoke out over the weekend to say they expect the allegations - made by the Sunday Times - to be probed.

Hyundai are one of the six 'partner' sponsors of FIFA along with adidas, Coca-Cola, Emirates, Visa and Sony.

So that's four of the six largest FIFA sponsors, leaving only Coca-Cola and Emirates (unlikely given that Dubai would benefit from a Qatar World Cup)...

Adidas = Nike
Visa = Mastercard
Hyundai/Kia = I'm sure there are plenty of car companies that would be interested

Why are you so sure these other companies wouldn't have the same issues? At the very least, jumping at the chance to sponsor would be bad PR.

jelly

While it's good sponsors are reacting, it didn't seem to matter a 1000 plus workers died so far. Maybe it does but articles are using the bribe allegations from what I've read.

ymmv

Banned
Hyundai demand Qatar probe

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...calls-for-probe-into-sunday-times-allegations

So that's four of the six largest FIFA sponsors, leaving only Coca-Cola and Emirates (unlikely given that Dubai would benefit from a Qatar World Cup)...

Five of the six sponsors have spoken up now.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27751265

Fifa is under growing pressure from a number of high-profile sponsors following its controversial decision to award the 2022 World Cup to Qatar. Sony, Adidas, Coca-Cola, Visa and Hyundai/Kia want the governing body to conduct an investigation into claims of wrongdoing in the bidding process. In total, five of Fifa's six main sponsors have issued statements relating to the Qatar bid. Only airline Emirates has so far declined to comment.

Since money is the only language that FIFA understands, this must be the real wake up call for those corrupt money hounds. It's one thing to get a beating in the press, but the money flow should never ever stop.

xbhaskarx

It's hilarious how Emirates is the only one who hasn't said anything.

What a shocker.

If Emirates are smart, they will join the other sponsors. It's not like 5/6 vs 6/6 will change what FIFA does, so why not be on the good guy side for PR purposes, even if you secretly want it to remain in Qatar. Dubai has extensive interests in the western world, aside from businesses with reputations to care about, in soccer they own Manchester City, New York City FC, and Melbourne City (formerly Hearts)... that's three countries where the public opinion is firmly against the FIFA corruption and the Qatar bid.

Derp1na

Banned
If Emirates are smart, they will join the other sponsors. It's not like 5/6 vs 6/6 will change what FIFA does, so why not be on the good guy side for PR purposes, even if you secretly want it to remain in Qatar. Dubai has extensive interests in the western world, aside from businesses with reputations to care about, in soccer they own Manchester City, New York City FC, and Melbourne City (formerly Hearts)... that's three countries where the public opinion is firmly against the FIFA corruption and the Qatar bid.

Abu Dhabi owns those teams but I agree that Dubai is the one place that is making attempts to westernise, moving into business and tourism for when the oil eventually runs dry. It would make a lot of sense for them to speak out, but at the same time it'd be hypocritical as fuck so I can't see it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Woffls

Can't imagine the outcry if there was a poster like this in the UK!
Shorts MUST be worn if it's over 16°C.
Socks may be worn with sandals.
Wearing red trousers at football match is asking for trouble.
Baseball caps are frowned upon; be vigilant.

[edit] I doubt anyone will take the place of these marketing partners if they bail out. Publicity isn't always good any more.

Adidas = Nike
Visa = Mastercard

Why should they be interessted in damaging their brand values?

Oersted

While it's good sponsors are reacting, it didn't seem to matter a 1000 plus workers died so far. Maybe it does but articles are using the bribe allegations from what I've read.

Yep. But huge corporations caring about that? I guess we will never see that day.

Chariot

Yeah, I think the other big companies will take the chance and announce loud and clear that they will not take a sponsor slot because their company don't make business with criminals. FIFA is on wonky ground rightnow.

Oersted

Yeah, I think the other big companies will take the chance and announce loud and clear that they will not take a sponsor slot because their company don't make business with criminals. FIFA is on wonky ground rightnow.

Its funny how we never cared about the other blatant bribery.

jorma

is now taking requests
It's been a long while since this was done fair and square. I don't see what makes Quatar different. And it's not like the process would have been any cleaner had one of the other candidates won.

Abounder

Banned
It'll be interesting to see what happens although the FIFA machine will probably just keep chugging along. The cynic in me says that Qatar officials forgot to bribe more people. But maybe sponsors and people across the world are starting to care more like what the NBA vs Sterling fiasco previewed especially after the loss of life.

Cormano

Take it out of Qatar and be done with it.

Qatar was a huge mistake to start with, i was really hoping for the USA to host the 2022 world cup, I hope they find out that there was bidding corruption and we can a have a propper world cup somewhere else.

Joeki11a

Banned
I saw a report on this and I say leave it there!

their planned designs for the whole event

literally looked like year 3000 futuristic stuff!

Part of me wants them to keep it, but then for every team/fan/sponsor to basically not show up, making it all look like the most embarrassingly costly mistake ever made in human history.

Then I think about people dying and want it all to stop immediately before any more people are killed.

Fucking ridiculous.

Joni

It's been a long while since this was done fair and square. I don't see what makes Quatar different. And it's not like the process would have been any cleaner had one of the other candidates won.
The deaths and the slavery. Companies don't like to be associated with slave labour.

cruets

If we want change at fifa and we really are upset by thousands dying or going to die because of construction of the stadiums in Qatar , why don't we just start a boycot of the sponsors?

Raistlin

Adidas = Nike
Visa = Mastercard

yeah no

JohnsonUT

Adidas = Nike
Visa = Mastercard

Assuming Fifa could switch partners easily, the new partners would get much sweeter deals. If Visa dropped out, Mastercard would be negotiating from a position of strength. Who would be Mastercard's competition for that spot? Same with Pepsi and Samsung. This would hurt Fifa's one and only goal of extracting as much money as humanly possible.

Assuming Fifa could switch partners easily, the new partners would get much sweeter deals. If Visa dropped out, Mastercard would be negotiating from a position of strength. Who would be Mastercard's competition for that spot? Same with Pepsi and Samsung. This would hurt Fifa's one and only goal of extracting as much money as humanly possible.

Exactly. Basically, if they don't cave to sponsors, the millions they got in a bribe will look like a toy compared to the hundreds of millions they could lose.

This...could be interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom