• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth has been censored in EU (only consoles affected)

Lusankya

Australian censorship still blows my mind... why have an adult rating for games if you still have to censor the things? (EDIT: And for the record i'm not American...)

In Germany the reason a game gets no rating and ends up on the Index is to even further "protect" minors by making it impossible to e.g. advertise these games. Online shops can only sell "indexed" games if they have an age-verfication (and only the user with a verfied account can see those games). Most retailers and online shops don't even attempt to sell games that are on the Index so publishers never want that to happen so they cut their game to get an USK 18 rating or just don't bother with the German market.

Who decides these things? The rating boards or can someone else be blamed?

Rating boards can't decide such things. Only the Publisher can censor their own games, however in some cases they can be forced to censor the games to be able to sell it in that country.

In this case e.g. Ubisoft decided it was a good idea to cut the stuff for "marketing reasons", however at the same time they were also forced to cut the swastikas in the German and Austrian version to sell it in those countries.

amardilo

Maybe I'll import the PS3 version from America, then. Certainly not day-1ing it now.

Yeah I cancelled my 360 pre-order and am waiting on hearing if the Xbox 360 version is region free or if I can import the PS3 version.

I did email Ubisoft support but they redirected me to the Uplay shop and they said I couldn't buy it from them (not what I asked them so not sure why they redirected me to them) and said they think it's likely to be region locked and I could have issues with DLC.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah I cancelled my 360 pre-order and am waiting on hearing if the Xbox 360 version is region free or if I can import the PS3 version.

I did email Ubisoft support but they redirected me to the Uplay shop and they said I couldn't buy it from them (not what I asked them so not sure why they redirected me to them) and said they think it's likely to be region locked and I could have issues with DLC.

VG+ in Canada has confirmed that the game is region-locked.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
When i go to the steam store it says:

2014-03-0316_24_21-stdxoja.png

I'm from Austria and the steam PC version seems to be censored, so not only consoles affected? I'm so lost.

Lusankya

When i go to the steam store it says:

2014-03-0316_24_21-stdxoja.png

I'm from Austria and the steam PC version seems to be censored so not only consoles affected? I'm so lost.

Steam only has this one warning, but they're referring to the removed/changed swastikas in the German/Austrian version. Otherwise nothing is cut.

amardilo

VG+ in Canada has confirmed that the game is region-locked.

Thanks, sounds like I won't get this on the 360 and I'll have to try and get the North American PS3 version (as I think all PS3 games are region free, DLC might be different though) as I don't have a PC.

Anyone know of a good online retailer that lets you import games from North America to the UK?

JaseC

Thanks, sounds like I won't get this on the 360 and I'll have to try and get the North American PS3 version (as I think all PS3 games are region free, DLC might be different though) as I don't have a PC.

Anyone know of a good online retailer that lets you import games from North America to the UK?

CD Universe ships worldwide last I checked.

Wasp

A lot of people, including many on this forum, complained about Duke Nukem Forever having crass, insensitive and degrading jokes. Like Duke Nukem, South Park is a series that should have the right be unapologetically unpolitically correct as it chooses to be. So I guess the people who were offended by very loosely implied "rape" references in DNF won.

Marc

Interesting info about this from Matt Stone, seems his version of events is different from the reality, I wonder if Ubisoft sold them a lie about the ratings system here.

In Europe and Australia, some scenes in the video game have been censored.

I was told that Australia has different standards. They have their own ratings system, as does Europe, so I was told that we had to submit it for ratings and they come back and tell you this will pass, this won't. Ultimately, the full version of the game is in North America, so at least that version is out there, but anywhere it's censored [in the other version], we just put in little black cards explaining what has happened.

It's not that big a deal. It doesn't change things that much, but we weren't going to change the game downwards somewhere and just not tell anybody. You'll see how ridiculous that is.

How do you feel about that?

It does feel like a double standard, a little bit. We weren't willing to change the content, but also it doesn't ruin the game – it's like 40 seconds' worth of the whole game. As long as we could make a joke out of the fact that they made us cut this, that was fine.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...t-stone-trey-parker-stick-of-truth-video-game

tsumineko

I'm playing the Australian PC censored version of the game.

The censorship is pretty jarring, and definitely messes with the flow of the game, especially in one certain dungeon. It's a massive shame, and it does make for a worse game.

I have a question though for those who are playing this game...

I've just gotten to the Nazi Zombie part, and often the Nazi Zombie characters will have their mouthes move like they are saying something (and all the other characters on screen are just looking at the Zombie as if paying attention to something they are saying), except no vocal audio can be heard. Are their lines censored as well? Does anyone know?

JaseC

I have a question though for those who are playing this game...

I've just gotten to the Nazi Zombie part, and often the Nazi Zombie characters will have their mouthes move like they are saying something (and all the other characters on screen are just looking at the Zombie as if paying attention to something they are saying), except no vocal audio can be heard. Are their lines censored as well? Does anyone know?

That must be a bug. I was playing the Aussie version of the game on the PS3 at a mate's place last night and the Nazi Zombies were most definitely... talkative.

JaseC

1st: what PC versions are 100% uncut?

Every one save for copies sold in: Germany, Austria, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan (retail copes in SG, HK and TW may be exempt).

2nd: can I buy those versions as retail and install and play them here in germany without any problems?

You'd need to use a VPN to activate the key, but that's it.

wrowa

and there is the problem.
Using a free VPN to activate the game will take you about 5 minutes. It's the only way to the play the game in Germany anyway, since it's not released here yet. Steam won't let you start the game if you don't connect to Steam with a non-German IP due to that. That's also the reason why no one will be able to tell you whether or not the German version might be patchable.

... But then again, buying the game somewhere else is so easy that I can't imagine anyone wants to bother messing around with patching it.

JaseC

and there is the problem.

cant I buy the german version and make it uncut?

Possibly, as there's already a patch that uncensors the Aussie version, but it's worth keeping in mind that German copies are region-locked to Germany and Austria at the runtime level so if you were to ever move to a different country you'd be unable to play the game without a German/Austrian VPN.

Reading all this makes me glad they didn't censor the PC version for us lot in the UK. I was actually going to buy the PS3 version but glad I avoided it now having finished it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just finished it, steam says 13 hours, sounds about right. Did all the side quests I could find. Amazing game, and easily the best licensed game ever. I would say bring on a sequel, but that will never happen.

tsumineko

just finished it, steam says 13 hours, sounds about right. Did all the side quests I could find. Amazing game, and easily the best licensed game ever. I would say bring on a sequel, but that will never happen.

I really think we are playing one of the best games of the year right now.

I imagine the game will win a lot of "best graphics" awards when all is said and done.

EDIT: I don't know if anyone else has done this... but I had a look at the game's files on PC and found a txt file called "australian.txt" in the root.

it contains this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Region>
<Country>australia</Country>
</Region>

Do you guys think changing this would change the censorship?

The stuff they cut in the EU versions was probably for the best. The controls in those parts of the game absolutely stink. Had to turn off the 360 controller to get it to work on PC.

Derpcrawler

Not sure if people saw the Australian censor screen yet, but here it is. I really enjoyed this game, how much effort they've put into it, like jokes changing depending on class/skin color combo. Like the Cartman mentioning me being "Kyles mom relative from New Jersey or something" for choosing Jew as a class while having "fake tan" skin. They even made different censor screens/text for different regions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C8QK3yr8OI

Damn, wanted to post this in OT. Can delete the post.

Replicant

The stuff they cut in the EU versions was probably for the best. The controls in those parts of the game absolutely stink. Had to turn off the 360 controller to get it to work on PC.

Eh, it's not that hard. There were times when they try to make things difficult by having so many buttons to press at rapid rate. But if you fail that, they'll give you an easier one. I'd definitely not wanna miss those scenes.

Now, if they censored the farting tutorial, OTOH, I'd gladly skip them. Those are torturous!

The US PS3 version isn't region locked, even though on the case it shows region 1. My console is British.

Most PS3 games are not region-locked. Persona Arena was the exception.

Blablurn

how the hell is the german version still on preload status? i mean, of course i could use my american vpn but still. how long do germans need to wait??

kudoboi

Someone managed to make a patch to make the censored PC versions uncensored. not sure if i can post the link here since it contains certain files from the game

Top Bottom