• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mature

Ahh, more excited about this than any anime in a very long time. As excited as I am that it's Watanabe's project, seeing names like Keiko Nobumoto and Dai Sato pop up is equally exciting.

Do we really need a dub vs sub argument here? We'll get both. Good times for fans, listen to what you want. So on and so forth.
Amen.

Prompto

Banned
Oh wow didn't know too much about this but reading all that information got me hyped as fuck. Guess I'll start watching toonami more often.

Oh wow didn't know too much about this but reading all that information got me hyped as fuck. Guess I'll start watching toonami more often.

You should, Toonami GAF has grown to be one of the most enjoyable things I do every weekend, having a large group of people watch an anime for the first time at the same time truly leads to some epic reactions. Check out Toonami GAFs reactions to SAO if you want to see some hilarious stuff

Prompto

Banned
You should, Toonami GAF has grown to be one of the most enjoyable things I do every weekend, having a large group of people watch an anime for the first time at the same time truly leads to some epic reactions. Check out Toonami GAFs reactions to SAO if you want to see some hilarious stuff
Yeah I will. I was on there for a little bit last week while conqueror of shamballa was on and the reactions to that was hilarious.

Empty

ooh didn't realize this was so soon. haven't seen an anime in ages (how was watanabe's kids on the slope btw?)

jgminto

I'll watch the first ep in sub and dub to see which I like more. I think Dandy sounded more Dandy in japanese though.

tumblr_muepjh7hf81s6tn8qo1_500.gif

tumblr_msdxj40IrI1sr71nbo1_500.gif

tumblr_mx6nnclrZt1qanw3wo4_400.gif

ibkib7si1s4DCr.gif

tumblr_msh17eGXQp1r60ay5o1_500.gif

7 days, 4 hours, and a shit ton of minutes left.

Jigolo

So fucking HYPED. ALSO I thought this was 12 episodes? glad they extended it.

Will it be better than Champloo?

Jex

ooh didn't realize this was so soon. haven't seen an anime in ages (how was watanabe's kids on the slope btw?)

Watanabe's Kids on the Slope is a solid series, but it's unlike his more popular work e.g. Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. As opposed to being an over the top action adventure it's a down to earth coming of age-y teen story set in the 60's. It's fairly well made but not what most people are looking for out of the director, I feel.

It's OK. Cool presentation of jazz and some good character moments peaking at an exhilarating performance climax in episode 7. Kind of peters out with some hokey, unbelievable drama after that. If you liked Watanabe's Baby Blue in the Genius Party anthology, it's more like that versus anything else he's done.

Jex

It's OK. Cool presentation of jazz and some good character moments peaking at an exhilarating performance climax in episode 7. Kind of peters out with some hokey, unbelievable drama after that. If you liked Watanabe's Baby Blue in the Genius Party anthology, it's more like that versus anything else he's done.
I was going to reach out for a Baby Blue comparison but I feel like maybe 5 people on GAF have any familiarity with Genius Party/Beyond.

Ezalc

Saw that 9 min pre ep they showed. So good. I see Dandy knows the rule that tits are life but ass is hometown.

I can't wait for that OST though.

Ezalc

This and Kill La Kill are the first anime's i've been even slightly interested in since FMA: Brotherhood.

Kill la Kill is fun ultimately seems pretty hollow. Hopefully this ends up great (I won't judge on trailers....)

Go watch Jojo!

Clov

I was going to reach out for a Baby Blue comparison but I feel like maybe 5 people on GAF have any familiarity with Genius Party/Beyond.

Make that 6, then! I love anthology movies/short film collections in anime, and the Genius Party films are some of my favorites. I haven't seen them in a while, but I remember liking Yuasa's segment the best.

I really liked Kids on the Slope. Great music and great animation, with a really nice story packed in too. It was a great departure from Watanabe's usual work, but I'm glad he's getting back to doing what he does best with Space Dandy. I'm ready for another action-packed adventure.

Jex

I really liked Kids on the Slope. Great music and great animation, with a really nice story packed in too. It was a great departure from Watanabe's usual work, but I'm glad he's getting back to doing what he does best with Space Dandy. I'm ready for another action-packed adventure.

He's also doing the only thing that's actually going to make any money rather than fun passion projects!

Subitai

11:30 on Toonami =O

That's going straight up against SNL.

Not sure what hour would be better though for it. Maybe 10?

Squire

Banned
Excellent OT, Duckroll.

I'm really looking forward to this. The trailers and the art really take me to that mid/late-90s era of anime that I loved so much as a kid. Really hope Watanabe delivers with this.

Clov

He's also doing the only thing that's actually going to make any money rather than fun passion projects!

When you put it that way, I feel a bit bad for him! I'm sure he'll enjoy working on Space Dandy though, even if it's not as much of a "personal" project. Watanabe's works often have a lot of energy and excitement to them, so I'd hope he'd be having at least a bit of fun.

When you put it that way, I feel a bit bad for him! I'm sure he'll enjoy working on Space Dandy though, even if it's not as much of a "personal" project. Watanabe's works often have a lot of energy and excitement to them, so I'd hope he'd be having at least a bit of fun.

I'm sure Watanabe is having fun with Space Dandy. Plus he's serving as more of a supervisory role on the series as a whole, bringing together a bunch of talent from across the anime industry and letting them do their thing in their individual episodes.

Moaradin

Lol 1 page in and already dub vs. sub debates. I can't wait to watch both. It's so crazy that the english version is coming out before the japanese one.

Jigolo

Lol 1 page in and already dub vs. sub debates. I can't wait to watch both. It's so crazy that the english version is coming out before the japanese one.
Yeah it's not really a big deal. People will watch whichever one they enjoy more; simple.

I just with that 10 minute preview would have come in English as well to see if I should skip the Toonami broadcast.

Akainu

This and Kill La Kill are the first anime's i've been even slightly interested in since FMA: Brotherhood.

Kill la Kill is fun ultimately seems pretty hollow. Hopefully this ends up great (I won't judge on trailers....)

Hunter x Hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom