• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 | Preview Thread

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Can we say ... Insomniac Never Misses?

Kinda GIF
Nah, not with Fuse...But their track record for the last 10 years is amazing though.

ProtoByte

Edit: He does raise the main point about gameplay being pretty samey and I agree.

I'd like to see more risk taking in games in terms of the actual gameplay. Not necessarily with Spider-Man, but with games that devs under Sony are making moving forward. Hard to write a hit record I'll say but there has to be the next set of innovative ideas.

Dare I say Astrobot had some unique things to the game thanks to the Dualsense. Maybe more games need to incorporate that.

Everyone can see my dissent on the game in this thread, but I don't think Jaffe has a leg to stand on bringing up either Elden Ring or Starfield. The former is the same as every other Fromsoft game in terms of gameplay, artstyle and presentation, other than the open world structure (which some people don't even like), and the latter is a regression on the tried and true Bethesda formula what with its loading extravaganza, poor writing, and '03 level of framing in terms of presentation.

The thing is that there's very little left to "innovate" on in the games industry at this point. Baldur's Gate 3 seems fresh and new because it's garnered an audience that's never touched CRPGs before, a genre that doesn't get a huge number of games anyway. Even disregarding the previous games, the sequel to Divinity came out only a few years ago. The main differentiator? The D&D IP and the much more (gasp!) cinematic presentation.

Everything I would've wanted from Spider-Man 2 that isn't there, and anything one could reasonably expect, has been done before. I've literally referred to Web of Shadows, an '08 game, multiple times. Insomniac has even said that they're trying to make the open world more immersive (e.g. not looking at maps and way points as much) and going by the previews, they have done that to some degree.

Jaffe's been pushing this narrative that the "PlayStation formula" is getting stale based off of mostly cross-gen second installments in franchises like Horizon and God of War, as if that's not also the case for something like Tears of the Kingdom which reuses assets and systems to a similar if not higher degree. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited:

Edit: He does raise the main point about gameplay being pretty samey and I agree.

I'd like to see more risk taking in games in terms of the actual gameplay.

Ir's a 3rd person action adventure game where you control Spider-Man. You walk, run, fight, swing around town. That's what anyone wants from these games. What else is there to do? lmao
What revolution does this game need from a gameplay point of view?

Didn't he also say Starfield was top 3 of his favorite games in history?

saintjules

he also called Starfield the best single-player game he’s ever played, honestly I don’t know what’s happened to Jaffe because it’s so weird for him to say that about Starfield and then turn around and say Sony’s game design is getting stale? 🤨

Everyone can see my dissent on the game in this thread, but I don't think Jaffe has a leg to stand on bringing up either Elden Ring or Starfield. The former is the same as every other Fromsoft game in terms of gameplay, artstyle and presentation, other than the open world structure (which some people don't even like), and the latter is a regression on the tried and true Bethesda formula what with its loading extravaganza, poor writing, and '03 level of framing in terms of presentation.

The thing is that there's very little left to "innovate" on in the games industry at this point. Baldur's Gate 3 seems fresh and new because it's garnered an audience that's never touched CRPGs before, a genre that doesn't get a huge number of games anyway. Even disregarding the previous games, the sequel to Divinity came out only a few years ago. The main differentiator? The D&D IP and the much more (gasp!) cinematic presentation.

Everything I would've wanted from Spider-Man 2 that isn't there, and anything one could reasonably expect, has been done before. I've literally referred to Web of Shadows, an '08 game, multiple times. Insomniac has even said that they're trying to make the open world more immersive (e.g. not looking at maps and way points as much) and going by the previews, they have done that to some degree.

Jaffe's been pushing this narrative that the "PlayStation formula" is getting stale based off of mostly cross-gen second installments in franchises like Horizon and God of War. It's absolutely ridiculous.

I do feel at times games are pretty samey, I agree.

I'd like to see more risk taking in games in terms of the actual gameplay. Not necessarily with Spider-Man, but with games that devs under Sony are making moving forward. Hard to write a hit record I'll say, but there has to be the next set of innovative ideas.

Dare I say Astrobot had some unique things to the game thanks to the Dualsense. Maybe more games need to incorporate that. I think it's about the execution and delivery.

Audiophile

Gold Member
I wish they'd dial the UI aesthetic back a little. It was already over-designed to look at (like a faux CIA computer interface in a 2000s action movie), now it's all purple and blue and pink and stuff on top of that. It's just a bit much. PS3/PS4 gen started to minimise UI and now we're going in the totally opposite direction.

I'd like them to simplify it and make it slick, dial back the colours and the embellishments. If you're going to integrate it into in-game elements like AR do it in a togglable, highly-contextual and customisable way.

Significant chunks of the screen are just noise at times.

Last edited:
Visually its looking fucking fantastic. I remember the last one really blowing me away. It was a good Batman Arkham ripoff, but the forced segments with Mary Jane killed the pacing. Im still in no rush to play it, but eventually I will.

he also called Starfield the best single-player game he’s ever played, honestly I don’t know what’s happened to Jaffe because it’s so weird for him to say that about Starfield and then turn around and say Sony’s game design is getting stale? 🤨

Jaffe has got to be on drugs. His opinions and takes when it comes to games are just awful

Guy peaked at God of War. The titles he made for his indie studios were garbage, and the games he really likes these days are pretty mid at best

midnightAI

I wish they'd dial the UI aesthetic back a little. It was already over-designed to look at (like a faux CIA computer interface in a 2000s action movie), now it's all purple and blue and pink and stuff on top of that. It's just a bit much. PS3/PS4 gen started to minimise UI and now we're going in the totally opposite direction.

I'd like them to simplify it and make it slick, dial back the colours and the embellishments. If you're going to integrate it into in-game elements like AR do it in a togglable, highly-contextual and customisable way.

Significant chunks of the screen are just noise at times.
While I don't mind the UI/HUD at all (you want a bad UI look at payday 3), one thing I find amusing in many games is that the HUD is supposed to represent what Spider Man sees through his suit, yet, it's a third person game so we don't see what Spider Man sees, we see Spider Man.

(I get why they do it, aesthetics, I just find it funny)

It wouldn't surprise me if there are some HUD options to change/remove the HUD completely

saintjules

Jaffe has got to be on drugs. His opinions and takes when it comes to games are just awful

He's not wrong that devs do need to push some more innovative things from a mechanics aspect. That's why I used Astro's playroom as an example in a previous comment. It would have been cool for example to use the Dualsense in a way to where you could fling the controller (albeit an option you can turn on/off) and it causes you to web sling.

I think even a decent example is TLOU 2 when Ellie was drowning Abby in the water during the last fight. I felt that even though QTE has been a thing, the whole sequence was fresh despite that. It was what we were doing wasn't all that common. The combo of doing something you're used to in games sure, but in a particular scenario that makes you feel uncomfortable and hasn't been done all that much for me lately is where the refreshment was for me there.

Even though we haven't played this yet to know, when I look at the last pieces of footage from SM2 it's the same stuff you did in Miles Morales and in the first game. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't think there will be alot of holy shit moments from the gameplay / mechanics aspect. I would hope to be wrong though.

I'm still getting this day 1, but I would like to experience the 'holy shit I've never experienced that before in a game' moment more often in games. That's why Returnal is still my game of the generation. I was blown away by what it was doing. Still in love with Biome 3 and it's Boss because of it.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Was out grabbing a few Christmas gifts (My wife actually Christmas shops all year so there is no big rush) and saw the SM2 PS5 bundle sitting in a Gamestop, I thought these were gone long ago?

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member
Palliasso Palliasso - FYI, these Twitter links haven't been embedding properly. Let me know if you're not the right person to tag and if I should inform someone else. Cheers.
We have our buddy Elon Musk to thank for this, unfortunately. Our server attempts to get the public metadata from the URL, but instead gets redirected to an X / Twitter login page.

So our server falls back to just displaying the link for others to click on rather than embedding the tweet

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
We have our buddy Elon Musk to thank for this, unfortunately. Our server attempts to get the public metadata from the URL, but instead gets redirected to an X / Twitter login page.

So our server falls back to just displaying the link for others to click on rather than embedding the tweet
Ah, that sucks. Someone told me to replace the x.com link with twitter.com and that has been working. I am now just copy-pasting the redirected (to twitter.com) URLs directly from the browser. Thanks!

Thirty7ven

Banned
Lol good old jaffe.

Got laugh at him mentioning Tears of the Kingdom, baldurs gate 3 and Starfield🤭🤭.

Yet they have all been out sold by Hogwarts Legacy which kinda follows the "Sony Formula ".

I think Hogwarts Legacy was merely okay as well so yeah..

He’s just a troll begging for attention. Why else would he put a severely dated design in Starfield along the likes of BG3 and TOK??

This is his life now.

Playing to his audience.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Guy peaked at God of War. The titles he made for his indie studios were garbage, and the games he really likes these days are pretty mid at best
Nah, Calling all Cars was pretty fun!

Haven't seen this video with the leaked main menu posted here, and tbh it's a rather minor spoiler (if you can even consider it that). Nonetheless, will put the tweet behind an inline spoiler.

Last edited:

poodaddy

I'll probably get it but it will be a yawn-fest. I am so tired of Venom. There is 50+ years of stories and villains and they keep going back to Venom. Enough already!
Fuck all this, gimme all the fuckin Venom and then give me a Venom game and then I hope they throw Venom in the Wolverine game as a cameo. All in baby.

GymWolf

And people here eat them up like they're fucking gospels. Thinking for yourself is hard around these parts.

Sad shit
What? Majority of gaffers troll Gaffe like there is no tomorrow, dude is a joke in here.

Hard to be on his side after the whole metroid dread debacle and even more after his starfield opinion.

Last edited:

orimagdos

Banned
In almost every review out there games are being subtracted points for not bringing something new. Except of course for sony exclusives.

Same thing will apply here.

The game will be a cash grab, banking on a famous hero, with the same boring bland world as the previous game and people will react to it as if it is the first game they ever played.

In almost every review out there games are being subtracted points for not bringing something new. Except of course for sony exclusives.

Same thing will apply here.

The game will be a cash grab, banking on a famous hero, with the same boring bland world as the previous game and people will react to it as if it is the first game they ever played.

Sounds like your jealous.

:)

Sorry I don’t normally do mock laugh emojis, but this level of conspiracy theory was funny 😂. “Jaffe, blink twice if you need help!”

I know a disingenuous twat when I see one. Years of experience in the field. TwatBusters is a lucrative business sir.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I’m not watching any previews. I went into MM blind and had a much better time for it.

bender

What time is it?

It's weird seeing davidjaffe davidjaffe Jaffe talk about the Sony Formula when I've long attributed him with starting off the style-over-substance trend that dominates Sony's lineup these days. And while style-over-substance sounds harsh,, that isn't my intention. Sony's games are usually rock solid mechanically, but they are generally more approachable and accessible compared to their contemporaries (think about the combat systems in Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry versus God of War or even the web swinging in Spider-Man 2 (PS2) versus Insomniac's system). Sony's games mostly haven't been about innovation for a while. They take tried and true genres and systems and add a presentation level that is polished to the nth degree. I agree that it isn't terribly exciting, but I don't argue against the approach as the reception from critics is fans is always positive.

And not to pick davidjaffe davidjaffe apart, but mentioning a lack of innovation as a reason for falling off of games and then mentioning Starfield and even Baldur's Gate 3 is again, weird. What sets Starfield apart from other BGS titles? Ship building? He also mentioned Starfield's interesting branching narrative. I'm curious how much time he's spent with other BGS titles. As far as BG3 is concerned, what apart from Bioware's BG titles or Larian's Original Sins games? I'm not trying to disrespect either of those titles, especially not the latter, but it seems like both are using well worn game designs.

Top Bottom