• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 | Preview Thread

jumpship

In almost every review out there games are being subtracted points for not bringing something new. Except of course for sony exclusives.

Same thing will apply here.

The game will be a cash grab, banking on a famous hero, with the same boring bland world as the previous game and people will react to it as if it is the first game they ever played.
gonna spider man GIF

twerk dancing GIF

Whitecrow

Banned
New gameplay mechanics is not what we need.

We need good characters and good stories again, beyond daddy issues and beyond female empowerment.

Since these times we're lacking on it, everything ends up falling on 'gameplay's shoulders. But no gameplay inovation will make us care suddently about cringe characters or void open-worlds, and care more about the game, probably.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
The gifs here actually got me sorta hyped. Been pretty blind on this since my expectations are low (expecting the garden variety more polished, prettier sequel using the tried and true cinematic Ubi style checkbox formula). I hope Im pleasantly surprised. And that Lizard fight looks dope as shit.

Sucks that I jumped into Mirage and 2077. Feel like I need to take a step back from open worlders for the next ten days in fear of possible burnout. And if SM2 is more of the same (and I sincerely hope it isnt) then its almost a guarantee unfortunately.

Day one and all that.

In almost every review out there games are being subtracted points for not bringing something new. Except of course for sony exclusives.

The game will be a cash grab, banking on a famous hero, with the same boring bland world as the previous game and people will react to it as if it is the first game they ever played.
Ehhh, that's one way of telling me you haven't played Sony games. HFW for example drastically changed the combat actually, has all kinds of combos and powerup moves.
This spider-man has changed the swinging system, added the wingsuit, Miles doesn't play like Peter, etc.

Try them yourself sometime instead of listening to the We Bleed Green podcast.

Elios83

Review from GameXplain (1.41M subscribers on Youtube), seems they did an oopsie.
I skipped to their verdict: "Loved It" and "Mind-Blowing" on their grading scale, ''one of my favorite games of all time''

They could be in trouble for breaking the embargo but great early sign :messenger_sunglasses: :pie_starstruck:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

Just buy a PS5. You'll breathe better.

Review from GameXplain (1.41M subscribers on Youtube), seems they did an oopsie.
I skipped to their verdict: "Loved It" and "Mind-Blowing" on their grading scale, ''one of my favorite games of all time''
Unlisted? 💀💀💀 This guy may probably won't receive review code from Sony again.
Watching it right now. Major spoiler if you care about it.
He said this is best super hero game. Better than Arkham series.

lmao...Forbidden West got less points than the first game.
TLOU2 got less points than the previous game.
Miles Morales got less points than the first entry.

Are you okay?

Now sequels are just cash grabs because they don't revolutionize the IP? Sequels aren't supposed to be reboots.

They enhance what the previous entries already did and do them better, they add more moves, more sets, better graphics and that's it.

Imagine expecting every sequel to be a reboot from a gameplay perspective. You guys really want games to take 10 years to make, lmao.

Salz01

There is at least one huge spoiler for me in that video. I stopped watching a quarter of the way through.

Astray

Gold Member
Been busy finishing up the 1st two games on PC (both games look glorious on a 4K monitor btw), and I have to say, the improvement in combat and sidequest quality in Miles bodes well for this one, if they can manage to make a similar level of improvement to the gameplay then we're in for a hell of a time. It won't be an ultra-inventive game (Insomniac rarely does this tbh, as much as I love their work), but it will definitely be very well-polished and an iterative step in the Arkham-like subgenre of open-world games.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Been busy finishing up the 1st two games on PC (both games look glorious on a 4K monitor btw), and I have to say, the improvement in combat and sidequest quality in Miles bodes well for this one

I havent played Miles since launch but what were the sidequest improvements? I dont remember the sidequests and I 100'%d it :messenger_persevering:

Eiknarf

Banned
I wish I cared for super hero shit like I did as a kid, because this looks quality. Y'all enjoyoselves.
I'm the same way: Years ago I lost interest in the entire superhero genre. But I accidentally tried the Miles Morales game, and all I could say is, a good game is a good game, no matter the genre. It's fun!

Same with Portal 2. I hated puzzle-genre games. But I accidentally tried Portal 2 back in the day and it turned out to be my favorite game for like two years.

So the lesson I learned is, if it's a good game, then perhaps the genre doesn't matter

Astray

Gold Member
I havent played Miles since launch but what were the sidequest improvements? I dont remember the sidequests and I 100'%d it :messenger_persevering:
They actually have meaning. Finishing the Kingpin bases in SM1 ended up yielding a threatening phone call from him that lasted less than a minute.

Compare this to the Prowler sampling sidequest, that was far more meaningful and helped develop Prowler and Mile's dad as characters.

Both are still not up to Arkham City's standard (which is the gold standard for superhero sidequests, each one delivered a unique Batman moment that felt amazing to behold).

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
They actually have meaning. Finishing the Kingpin bases in SM1 ended up yielding a threatening phone call from him that lasted less than a minute.

Compare this to the Prowler sampling sidequest, that was far more meaningful and helped develop Prowler and Mile's dad as characters.

Both are still not up to Arkham City's standard (which is the gold standard for superhero sidequests, each one delivered a unique Batman moment that felt amazing to behold).

Ohhhhh shit I do remember that one now! Good call! 🤛

The Stig

not gonna lie, im pretty hyped for this.

i havent been paying close attention to the buildup as I have faith in insomniac.

one question, its clear that venom is in this, do we know if carnage will be making an appearance?

Top Bottom