• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Celebration to be Livestreamed, April 16th-19th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, damn, guess I know what I'll be doing Thursday afternoon. This is really exciting. Will there be any sort of complete schedule of what is going to be shown and when, after the kickoff panel?

Well, damn, guess I know what I'll be doing Thursday afternoon. This is really exciting. Will there be any sort of complete schedule of what is going to be shown and when, after the kickoff panel?

So far, it's just the general Celebration schedule up at the official site as a guide - my guess is they're basically gonna livestream anything that happens on the main stage, and anything else will either be a video upload later, or just won't go up at all.

But I'd imagine pretty much everything that everyone was specifically going to Anaheim just to see is going to be made available via this stream.

The Force Awakens trailer.
Battlefront gameplay or whatever it is.

My body is ready.
image.php

Can't wait. Will be watching ALL of it!

epmode

No it's not, because that is not happening. Digital release JUST came out. And not to mention MakingStarWars just said this week the 4K restoration that was just worked on is the Bluray cut as well. 0.0000000000000001% chance of pure theatrical editions any time soon.

Disney disappoints just as well as Lucas when it comes to this.

Disney disappoints just as well as Lucas when it comes to this.

But again - Badass Digest heard they've reverted at least ONE change from the blu-ray cuts back to original status. So it's possible what MSW heard AND what Badass heard was both true: The version of the film mastered to blu-ray is the one that got rescanned/remastered for 4k. But they then changed the films in small ways once the masters were done.

So it's still up in the air what these next versions might be.

But it's pretty much guaranteed we're not getting the theatricals for the next 2 or 3 years at the minimum - if ever.

Rootbeer

Banned
Alright, just got home from stocking my place full of food so I can sit and watch Celebration content while I play Smash, Bloodborne, Xenoblade 3DS or whatever games I feel in the mood for.

I'm not even ashamed to be excited :p

Going to be a great weekend of Star Wars news!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
But again - Badass Digest heard they've reverted at least ONE change from the blu-ray cuts back to original status. So it's possible what MSW heard AND what Badass heard was both true: The version of the film mastered to blu-ray is the one that got rescanned/remastered for 4k. But they then changed the films in small ways once the masters were done.

But it's pretty much guaranteed we're not getting the theatricals for the next 2 or 3 years at the minimum - if ever.
What did they change back?

What did they change back?

Greedo no longer shoots, apparently.

We'll see if that bears out if/when these 4K masters get released either on blu-ray or as a theatrical event or whatever.

There might be a possibility these are the versions being screened at Celebration? Who knows.

BFIB

Hmm, there are a few changes I did like to the DVD cuts.

-The alien dialect on the spaceships, and artoo's coding in the X-Wing display
-The fixing of the lightsaber coloring in ANH
-The change of dialogue with Palpatine/Vader in Empire
-The matte lines being removed (I believe this was done in the special edition)

Just keep those changes, remove the creepy Hayden ghost, the "Noooooo" Vader scream at the end of Jedi, the rocks in front of R2 in ANH (seriously ridiculous), the dancing scene in Jedi, and add in Greedo shooting first.

Perfect edition.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Greedo no longer shoots, apparently.

We'll see if that bears out if/when these 4K masters get released either on blu-ray or as a theatrical event or whatever.

There might be a possibility these are the versions being screened at Celebration? Who knows.
Whut? So Han finally shits first again? Nice!

I don't think I've been this hyped (or just hyped) for a blockbuster since like Spiderman 2. I was starting to think it was never going to happen again.

I've even been in a Star Wars movie binge.

Perfect edition.

Yeah, when I get back on Full of Sith post-Celebration, I wanna do a segment with this premise:

Lucasfilm will re-sell the Original Trilogy. And not only that, they will sell you, PERSONALLY, your own special copy. You'll pay extra for it, but it will be tailored to your specific tastes. The catch is that all the special effects updates WILL stay - and you can only revert THREE storytelling changes to the trilogy. Only three. Which three do you choose?

Greedo no longer shoots?
Han doesn't step on Jabba's tail/No Jabba scene at all?
No deleted scene w/ Biggs & Luke reinserted?
Bring My Shuttle/Shuttle trip to the Executor?
New buttmask Palpatine talking to Vader?
Hayden?
NOOOOOOO in the throne room?
Artoo behind a stupid rock?
Jedi Rocks/Lapti Nek?

There's so many changes. Only three of them can be reverted. WHICH THREE DO YOU CHOOSE?

BFIB

I don't think I've been this hyped (or just hyped) for a blockbuster since like Spiderman 2. I was starting to think it was never going to happen again.

I've even been in a Star Wars movie binge.

I'm with you there. I was excited for the prequels, but to me, not having Luke, Han, etc. just didn't feel the same. The hype was there, but I always wondered what the world would be like after the Empire fell.

I wonder if Lucas will be there, or tune in? It has to be weird experiencing this stuff as a fan now rather than blocking off your mind to outside opinions.

Yeah, when I get back on Full of Sith post-Celebration, I wanna do a segment with this premise:

Lucasfilm will re-sell the Original Trilogy. And not only that, they will sell you, PERSONALLY, your own special copy. You'll pay extra for it, but it will be tailored to your specific tastes. The catch is that all the special effects updates WILL stay - and you can only revert THREE storytelling changes to the trilogy. Only three. Which three do you choose?

Greedo no longer shoots?
Hayden?
Jedi Rocks/Lapti Nek?

There's so many changes. Only three of them can be reverted. WHICH THREE DO YOU CHOOSE?

Greedo, NOOOOOOOOOOOO and Lapti Nek. The addition of the NOOOO is the worst change in my opinion.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Greedo no longer shoots?
Hayden?
Jedi Rocks/Lapti Nek?

Hayden, Buttmask Palpatine and Noooooo.

Greedo no longer shoots?
Hayden?
Jedi Rocks/Lapti Nek?

1. No Jabba scene - easily the worst addition for me.
2. No Hayden

The third is a tough one. The "Bring my shuttle" - "alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival." sticks out like dog's balls but it's easily over looked.

3. Jedi Rocks

Jibbed

Apparently the beginning to the livestream will be 'explosive'... I would put money on either a Battlefront (most likely) or TFU trailer kicking things off.

10am PST tomorrow, 5pm GMT.

Rumor is tomorrow during the JJ Abrams livestream.

There's also a Battlefront trailer debuting as well.

Battlefront should be Friday morning, I believe.

Also, I like those picks for the three reversions. I think I'd get rid of the No, Hayden, and revert Empire back to "Bring my Shuttle" without the constant cuts back to him approaching the star Destroyer. Pointless.

Plus that line delivery of "Bring my Shuttle" was always one of my single favorite things about Star Wars.

Greedo no longer shoots?
Hayden?
Jedi Rocks/Lapti Nek?

1- No Hayden
2- No Jabba in Star Wars
3- NOOOO!!!
4- Remove the clutter from the Mos Eisley intro (cheating, but whatevs, I'd pay extra)

Damn, this is hard! I want the conversation between Vader and the Emperor in ESB, and only Han shooting Greedo reverted too! But those other ones bother me too much. If I only had the option to remove that many changes, I guess I'd go with those. I find the Jar Jar level humor added to the scene when they get to Mos Eisley too distracting and out of place.

BFIB

1- No Hayden
2- No Jabba in Star Wars
3- NOOOO!!!
4- Remove the clutter from the Mos Eisley intro (cheating, but whatevs, I'd pay extra)

Damn, this is hard! I want the conversation between Vader and the Emperor in ESB, and only Han shooting Greedo reverted too! But those other ones bother me too much. If I only had the option to remove that many changes, I'd guess I'd go with those. I find the Jar Jar level humor added to the scene when they get to Mos Eisley too distracting and out of place.

I like the change in dialogue for Vader/Palpatine. I hate that the original trilogy has to change to match the prequels more and more, but the dialogue changes in ESB made sense that the Emperor knows Luke is Vader's son.

tuco11

I guess with the recent release of the Digital HD versions of Star Wars, there is no shot of a unaltered original trilogy bluray announcement tomm?

I guess with the recent release of the Digital HD versions of Star Wars, there is no shot of a unaltered original trilogy bluray announcement tomm?

Nope. The best you can hope for is that the 4K remasters revert some of the changes you don't like. But the hope for a theatrical release is dead for the next 5 or so years at the least.

Kadin

Nope. The best you can hope for is that the 4K remasters revert some of the changes you don't like. But the hope for a theatrical release is dead for the next 5 or so years at the least.
You don't think 20th Century Fox and Disney can come to another agreement? Clearly they had to for these recent digital releases, right? (For ANH that is)

You don't think 20th Century Fox and Disney can come to another agreement?

They don't need to - pretty sure whatever agreement Disney/Fox came to in order to distribute the digital versions also allows for future blu-ray releases, regardless the specific cuts placed on those discs. I'm pretty sure they don't give a shit which version of it is released. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they were all for a theatrical version being released because it makes it easier to market.

The thing preventing theatrical editions is basically that the remasters they just did aren't theatrical versions. The only thing disputed at this point is whether these versions are exactly the same as the blu-ray cuts, or whether there's been a few changes reverted.

BFIB

With the celebration being hyped up so much this year, I wouldn't be surprised to hear an announcement has been made to release the original uncut versions on Blu-Ray, to be released iin November right before The Force Awakens releases.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear an announcement has been made to release the original uncut versions on Blu-Ray.

According to both MakingStarWars and Badass Digest, they don't have any theatrical editions to release. The hope was that the 4K remasters would be those. They're not. They're modified versions of the existing blu-ray cuts (or just straight up those same blu-ray cuts)

BFIB

According to both MakingStarWars and Badass Digest, they don't have any theatrical editions to release. The hope was that the 4K remasters would be those. They're not. They're modified versions of the existing blu-ray cuts (or just straight up those same blu-ray cuts)

Damn, didn't Lucas literally cut up the originals he had at one point or something?

I was hoping if anyone could find the holy grail of uncut theatrical versions, it'd be Disney.

That's what makes it FUN tho. :)

It's sad there's so many changes that it's be hard to pick which to revert. I think lucas approached the changes to his movies wrong. They should have always been small things, barely noticeable things, not actual structural changes.

I'm glad we have the Harmy edits. That way I have little to complain about really.

Cheebo

Banned
Damn, didn't Lucas literally cut up the originals he had at one point or something?

I was hoping if anyone could find the holy grail of uncut theatrical versions, it'd be Disney.

Has nothing to do with "finding" them. They can restore a print if they wanted to spend the money. Lucasfilm is clearly maintaining the Lucas prefered edit as the official version, pre and post Disney purchase of Lucasfilm.

The mere fact they are spending the money to do the 4K restoration on the post-SE editions makes it pretty clear the status quo is not going to change anytime soon.

When it comes to Star Wars you either have the official version which is the Lucas final cut edition or you go with fan edits.

BFIB

Has nothing to do with "finding" them. They can restore a print if they wanted to spend the money. Lucasfilm is clearly maintaining the Lucas prefered edit as the official version, pre and post Disney purchase of Lucasfilm.

The mere fact they are spending the money to do the 4K restoration on the post-SE editions makes it pretty clear the status quo is not going to change anytime soon.

When it comes to Star Wars you either have the official version which is the Lucas final cut edition or you go with fan edits.

Yeah, I've never been one to really bash the changes that were made. I didn't understand Lucas' point in some of them, but they were his movies. I just always hated the fact that the originals had to change so much to fit the prequels in (Boba Fett's voice for instance, ghost Hayden, etc).

The story was already told, all you had to do was guide it there in the prequels. But that's for a different discussion. :)

Kadin

Yeah, I've never been one to really bash the changes that were made. I didn't understand Lucas' point in some of them, but they were his movies. I just always hated the fact that the originals had to change so much to fit the prequels in (Boba Fett's voice for instance, ghost Hayden, etc).

The story was already told, all you had to do was guide it there in the prequels. But that's for a different discussion. :)
Yeah I've just learned to accept the changes. I can either continue to be unhappy with the many things I consider bad decisions or just accept them and move on. Too much worrying about them will just bring down the enjoyment for me overall and I don't want that to be the case.

I've since gone back and watched all movies so many times now that it is what it is. Are they they best versions? No. But do I still love Star Ware overall? Of course.

Metalmarc

Just posted this in its own thread but i'll share here

It's gonna be a Star Wars filled weekend for me, 30. Hours of the live Stream, These comics and Star wars games on the Wii and ps3 and finally watching some clone wars on netflix

image.jpg

JayTapp

I refuse to buy any new version of the trilogy until we get the stupid changes undone.

Of course i'm fine with stuff like light saber getting fixed in ANH, or weird fx glitch around Tie Fighter for example.

But when i see the noooooooooo, and Hayden everywhere i fell like killing myself.

I'll hang onto my original THX VHS
h1tXn.jpg

and laserdisk rip

I'd pay good money for Original, cleaned up unaltered version on blu-ray.

I'm mixed on getting the original (if they'll exist) blurays. I think almost all the changes are awful (especially that trash song in Jabba the hutt's lair) but the music in the remastered ending is so good, huge improvement on the original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom