• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Early Access thread | See That Standard Edition Over There? You Can Upgrade It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
WtH2L49.png

Not a bad start so far.

Man this is crazy. And to think this is just an early access launch numbers.

I had originally taken today off for something unrelated but decided to come into the office today because no one knows I play video games and don't want anyone thinking I took work off to play star field
Take the day off brother, or a day off next week. Enjoy your gaming time and have fun, it's your hobby and what brings you happiness man. Get some good game time in!

Total tangent, has there been any news on a Starfield strategy guide hardbook edition? I like collecting and reading through those nice strategy guides and haven't heard anything as of yet.

DosGamer

Installed last night and started it only to cut ir right off. I didnt want to get to far in when I knew I would want to create my character when I have more time. Mainly started it up to see if it would let me play it... so yeah, I'm gonna play when I get home this evening... one question I do have about space flight however.

Does the game let us get in the ship and just fly around in space? Ive seen some say that you just menu hop from planet to planet basically with cutscenes and you dont actually fly that much.. but then they have traits that speak about spending time in space and bonuses... so aside from space dogfighting.. what else do you do?

nani17

are in a big trouble
The modding community is hard at work already amazing. UI fixes including the one I wanted removing the XP bar. There's also an option to move it

tmlDan

whats going on in this game, Lirik got autosaved near a death point or something and he keeps dying upon reload

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
I agree with the sentiment that the game's tutorial system is not very good. There's a lot they don't tell you. I've had to go into keybindings to look up how to do stuff and I am the type that keeps a close eye on the hud for tips and hints. They should try improve this in future patches. Perhaps if they had made the manual space travel the default mode and then explained fast travel via tutorial pop ups, that might have hit differently for people. Sometimes the messaging can completely change the perspective.

clarky

Gold Member
The HDR being broken has to be a joke, right? They had so much time to get this dialed in.
Not so much as broken, just not in the game as far as im aware (PC).

Theres a few options oddly missing that i would expect within a patch or 2. Brightness, FOV(?) HDR, DLSS. All will be modded in for sure before BGS get their act together ( or have been already).

reinking

Gold Member
What background and traits did everyone go with?

Background:
Bounty Hunter

It has pilot skill and boost pack training. I really considered Long Hauler but boost pack training seems like something I will want as soon as possible.

Traits:
Dreamhouse
Kid Stuff
Hero Worshipped

They seem like traits that will offer unique game content.

R6Rider

Gold Member

Background:
Bounty Hunter

It has pilot skill and boost pack training. I really considered Long Hauler but boost pack training seems like something I will want as soon as possible.

Traits:
Dreamhouse
Kid Stuff
Hero Worshipped

I went with Space Scoundrel (or something similar) and then picked two traits: Neon Street Rat & Wanted.

LordCBH

Background:
Bounty Hunter

Traits:
Dreamhouse
Kid Stuff
Hero Worshipped

As far as I can tell your starting background perks really don’t matter? Like first level up I just took the boost pack anyway. I chose Diplomat.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I was watching Dr. Disrespect stream it. He gets to the identity part of the character creator and he sees "He/Him" on there that is mandatory and isn't optional and he just stops and stares at the screen with this disgusted face for like 2 minutes. Then he's like hold on a second. He looks up Bethesda's publishing head and sees "He/Him" in his bio and he's like now it all makes sense. :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I can vouch for this. Persuade is extremely useful and there is a ton of stuff to grab for crafting. The materials mass start to add up quick.
I used the crafting thingamajig on the ship but I did not have any crafting materials. I loaded myself up with everything not nailed down at the begginning. I might have to transfer all my crap to a storage thing onboard ship first.

DeaDPo0L84

Not gonna lie, space travel in this game is a huge bummer. It's just: open videogame menu - hold X to fast travel - fade black loading screen - landing animation (zero interactivity) - another load screen and suddenly you're on the surface of a new planet.

Zero immersion and the whole process feels archaic. They really couldn't make the starmap a display in the pilot cabin that you can interact with while you're in the chair?

I might sound weird but everything in this game is so videogame-y. Menu this, submenu that, loading screen, loading screen, navigate three menu screens to equip a helmet, good lord.
I've only played a couple hours but I agree. I knew going in this wasn't going to be NMS level of exploration so I had my expectations in check. But the system that is there currently is just straight up bad. Clicking a planet to travel to, okay, then it puts you in the same system that again makes you click on it to land, what? If they knew beforehand they weren't going to have a deep level of exploration they should have literally just copied ME2 where once you travel to the system you navigate a small replica of your ship towards the actual planet you wish to land on, that would have been a million times better than what we got here.

They could have even taken it a step further and when navigating the small ship you can have random space battle encounters similar to old style FF games. Or just let us pick a landing spot regardless where we are currently and play a fancy loading screen dumping us off at the new planet. If this was a small team of new developers taking a stab at a space RPG I could forgive some of the nonsensical decisions, but this is a major AAA studio that should know better.

Last edited:

XesqueVara

I'll never forget when I had an auto save in new Vegas that was entering a door and there was a mine behind it.

I'd load in and just explode....ahh those were the days.
Same, had to use console commands to be alive because of a ticking bomb in dead money.
Worse DLC of that game by far.

I was watching Dr. Disrespect stream it. He gets to the identity part of the character creator and he sees "He/Him" on there that is mandatory and isn't optional and he just stops and stares at the screen with this disgusted face for like 2 minutes. Then he's like hold on a second. He looks up Bethesda's publishing head and sees "He/Him" in his bio and he's like now it all makes sense. :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Why does that bother anyone? You always choose genders in character creators.

DeaDPo0L84

Guys why cant this game just be a flawless masterpiece that gets everything perfect, has the graphics that top Cyberpunk 2077, has the player freedom but the cinematic direction of a Rockstar game, in a fully seamless universe where I can fly in and around every planet through the atmosphere and visit entire cities without loading screens?

WHAT A BUNCH OF HACKS
You okay?

Dev1lXYZ

refund baby. this is only for hardcore bgs gamers. shits good as it gets.
I'm not saying that it's a bad game, it just needs graphical setting options. The blurring isn't so bad indoors as it is outdoors.

I'm taking it they used FSR 2.0 as the solution. I just want to lower the res to 1440P. It would run so much smoother.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I bought the upgrade, I doubt I will renew Gamepass when my subscription expires in May of 2025. Ibought the ultimate upgrade because I have a 3 day weekend coming up and it's the perfect time for me to play.

As much as I hate on MS, Starfield seems like a legit good product and I want to support legit good products.

Danknugz

It’s your time and money, who gives a fuck what others think.
It's 2023. If you going to allow yourself to give a shit about a bunch of random nobodies at work and care what they think about you, then I feel sad for you. It's your life, time and money, fuck everyone else and fuck what other people think. You live for yourself, not for stupid society. Love yourself more, you will live a better life.

EDIT - Thabks for gifting gold.
My boss asked me during our weekly meeting what I was going to do on my vacation. I said "playing this new game called Starfield".

I mean.....do you have to have a reason to take time off?
The actual reason I decided to go in was because they closed the office early today and Inwould rather take a day where I would have had to be there all day.

geary

How can I switch out guns without going into the menu?
You need to flag them as Favorites with "B" and put them on a hotkey....On PC, you then can access them afterwards either by holding Q or tapping the hotkey.

Last edited:

Red5

People can only get early access if they ordered the 100$ premium edition or through GPU codes, and this is only accounting for Steam version of the game, not Xbox.

Be interesting to see if it can get close to or surpass Baldur's Gate 3 numbers.

But what would be even interesting to see is how many GP subs and Xbox units it can move.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

PC mods are more creative than the "creative" version, so many mods within the first 24 hours:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Game Pass on PC is a non entity as far as I’m concerned. I don’t think anyone thought its performance on Steam would suffer.

If anything it’s the contrary. On GAF people know that Steam users will cough up. Sea of Thieves sold 5m on Steam in 12-18 months.

On topic. That’s a hugely impressive figure. Game will sell 10m on Steam within a year IMO.

DeaDPo0L84

Game Pass on PC is a non entity as far as I’m concerned. I don’t think anyone thought its performance on Steam would suffer.

If anything it’s the contrary. On GAF people know that Steam users will cough up. Sea of Thieves sold 5m on Steam in 12-18 months.

On topic. That’s a hugely impressive figure. Game will sell 10m on Steam within a year IMO.
It'll be interesting how the conversation might change if it does go on to sell an insane amount of copies, especially if that number is way above those playing on Gamepass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom