• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Early Access thread | See That Standard Edition Over There? You Can Upgrade It.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far I’m a bit underwhelmed. This game really needs a VATs system - did Fallout 4 not have it (I only played 3). The pirates running at you just looks off and not exactly fun - the gunplay is clunky. The vats system really helped get rid of the clunk and had cool animations.

Space flying also not that great in my experience so far. I’m hoping the story is good, it’s what’ll keep me playing. I do see the Mass Effecf parallel. Maybe I should’ve held off on the premium upgrade…

niilokin

I think it's adorable how every every npc does that brow raise when they talk, like it's their new big thing :messenger_beaming:

twilo99

Not sure if this image sharing site degrades the quality but thus from my xss

Click on it and then show full res.

Besides the 30 FPS everything else seems sharp and the game looks surprisingly well. I have it hooked to a 65inch 4k TV.

The game synced from my PC without any issues, very nice.

Last edited:

Barakov

Put in about 3 hours into and I'm totally enthralled. The only bugs I've had was tutorial prompt staying on screen for too long and some npcs looking pretty dodgy while going through a door. Those ten months were well spent, I'd say.

30fps is a bummer but definitely tolerable in this game. Looking forward to playing more.

naguanatak

First 5 hours and first 5 levels are behind me. Game is everything I've hoped it to be and more. It was worth waking up at 2AM after all.
So you made it 😎
Same here. Some things - mostly due to the engine and overall game design - are disappointing, but the atmosphere and possibilities after 'only' 6 hours make up for it.
These 6 hours went by in a flash, felt like 1 hour at work, honestly :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Worlds upon worlds, flora/fauna to discover and serene exploration just taking in the sights. I love this loop in NMS, but here you have the rpg elements, dialogues and quests en masse on top of it
:messenger_smiling_hearts: I can look past the blemishes and just enjoy it for what it is, a damn good game it seems

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Had a hard time with 30fps on series X. (Looked decent though)
Sure would be nice if they would at least do a 40fps mode for those of use 120hz tvs.

Fired it up on pc (4070), I feel like it's playing a different game. It's so much more fluid.

Overall I wasn't sure at first, but I think the scope of the game is growing on me.

One problem tho, the message came up saying go into missions to quick travel and I didn't do that, now that message is stuck in the middle top......might have to go back to a save before that........

Last edited:
Had a hard time with 30fps on series X. (Looked decent though)
Sure would be nice if they would at least do a 40fps mode for those of use 120hz tvs.

Fired it up on pc (4070), I feel like it's playing a different game. It's so much more fluid.

Overall I wasn't sure at first, but I think the scope of the game is growing on me.

One problem tho, the message came up saying go into missions to quick travel and I didn't do that, now that message is stuck in the middle top......might have to go back to a save before that........
Force Quit

411FF02D315748423CB94D2A29EAD100A7B15A91

My friend has told me that not only is this in Starfield, but it has an upgrade tree.

dumb-and-dumber-jimcarrey.gif

Chance of Elder Scrolls 6 bringing hand-to-hand back officially? Maybe? Hopefully?

Another small complaint: the number keys don't correspond to conversation choices, so I have to actually use the mouse or movement keys to select choices. I seem to remember using number keys in Fallout 76? Or maybe it was a mod I was using... either way, I guess Baldur's Gate has me spoiled in that regard!

Anyway, I'm finally done with the tutorial and I gotta say the combat portions kinda sucked as a stealthy melee player. The stupid robot was following me around and stomping so loudly it made stealth virtually impossible (on Very Hard, at least). I managed but it was quite annoying lol. Looking forward to leaving the dumb robot companion behind in the future.

Last edited:

RPS37

Played about an hour or so and I’m having a goooood time. Finding myself going to the pause menu an awful lot tho.

Zuzu

Not sure if this image sharing site degrades the quality but thus from my xss

Click on it and then show full res.

Besides the 30 FPS everything else seems sharp and the game looks surprisingly well. I have it hooked to a 65inch 4k TV.

The game synced from my PC without any issues, very nice.

That looks good. It's amazing how on one hand you have games on the Series S with atrocious image quality like Immortals of Aveum and then games like this with really good image quality. I know that Immortals is pushing more advanced tech with Lumen but still it's a big difference.

Last edited:

naguanatak

So far I just dumped everthing on the floor of the ship. Have not figured out if we can place things or store them in a big chest or what.
You have a cargo safe as the captain right next to the pilot seat and from your inventory before going into a sub menu you can chose the cargo hold of your ship, take items from there or - if you change it back to your personal cargo - dump items into the ships cargo hold. If you're on controller click the left bumper when going into the inventory

Last edited:

Tieno

Some of the reviews kinda reduced my hype and excitement, but now I'm a 2-3 hours into it I like it. Just at the Constellation in Atlantic City. It's a Bethesda game, and I know that I love that shit.
I'm liking it so far, not loving it yet...but hearing some of the impressions from people who really like/love it, I'm pretty confident this will be a game for me.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Gonna take a break, eat something before heading back in

I guess I should ignore the side quests for now and go back to the main one

SaiyanRaoh

Oh yeah, this and BG3 are my games of the year so far. Hands down.
It’s a Bethesda game from head to toe and I’m loving the shit out of it.
I know I’m still early in the game but this is really resonating with me. It feels like old space sci-fi. While there are problems in my almost 6 hours with it, with one hour being played on the ROG Ally (the performance is…*chefs kiss*) I’m in love with the game. BG3 and this are a credit to “modern gaming”.

And the music, omg! Why is it that besides ACG, no reviewer has gushed over this game’s soundtrack? Inon Zur does it again!

I’m going to be playing this game for years thanks to future content and mods.
Now, back to it!

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
From now on i'm gonna point out this topic when people ask me why i don't use gamepass pc and the xbox app :lollipop_squinting:

I have the game on steam but i have wait until tonight:messenger_sad_relieved:

niilokin

Question about the first combat place before New Atlantis:

Did anyone find an actual terramorph enemy somewhere in the facility? I couldnt find anything and if there wasn't, would be pretty disappointing adding all that dialogue and storytelling there...rpgs need this kind of side content

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom