• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield in the polish/optimization stage of development

elliot5

Their engine was bad for the level of their games.

It didnt have the ladder function. No matter how much you evolve it, if its missing a basic setting, that is a bad engine.

They should have moved to a new engine with skyrim and fallout 4.
It doesn’t have a ladder therefore the engine sucks is galaxy brain ngl

Good news is starfield has ladders

Angry Tantrum GIF by The X Factor

You made it here just to stand up for your fellow trolls or did that shoe fit you too? 😉
Lame bait & shit post.

kingfey

Banned
Uhm... you do know that one of the M's in "MMO" literally stands for multiplayer, don't you?
I understand. But that is not MP. MP are like the halo MP, call of duty MP.

MMO is different genre.

MP: Multiplayer with certain groups. Halo, call of duty
MMo: Massive number of players playing at the same time. Destiny
MMORPG: Same as mmo, different is. its for rpg games. Games like wow, ff14.

kingfey

Banned
It doesn’t have a ladder therefore the engine sucks is galaxy brain ngl

Good news is starfield has ladders
did you check the combat? Ladder was just a basic settings. There are other stuff that is wrong with the engine. Not to mention, all these unfinished bugs, that is being carried from the 1st version until the upgraded version.

Last edited:

Duchess

Honestly, I think that MS are going to make damn sure that this is one of the least buggy and polished releases that Bethesda puts out.

If not, the "you spent $7.5 billion on this?!" jeering will never, ever end. Never.

hevy007

Banned
There isn't a single suitable replacement for what Bethesda does with their games, with the level of interactivity and "stuff", and how they develop so quickly.
Not true at all, it's simply a priority, that's what they choose to prioritize. An engine is just a tool, no magic any engine can do anything as long as you have the source code. It's simply a matter or time and resources. A lot of people within bethesda have asked to ditch the engine in favor of others, it's Todd who doesn't want to let it go.

LordCBH

Fallout 4 was a buggy broken mess on release. Just like Skyrim. Just like oblivion. Just like Morrowind. This will be no different.

Hopefully it’ll be more like Skyrim and before and less like Fallout 4. Either way I’m playing it.

If anyone expects a smooth game at launch that runs pretty well and very few glitches, get ready for a game that will have a really bad frame rate, common game breaking glitches and tones of bugs.

Concern

We joked about Bethesda quality for decades, now all of a sudden we can't because MS bought them & it goes against your platform of choice? I'm excited for Starfield and that high poly sandwich, but I expect the game to be very buggy.

Its not about "joking". Im not even looking forward to this. These are the same people who kept downplaying the acquisition.

Even the crossfire thread was full of fanboys shitposting there too. Actually the first post too. Same people that then cry when someone does it in a ps thread.

The strongest GOTY contender, imo: It will be richer, denser, more complex and will offer more options than all the other candidates put together; It is not a cross-gen title and will benefit fron Bethesda's new engine; It is, contrary to God of War and Horizon, a new IP. As a PS player, this one is the only title that makes me incredibly envious. I will need to grab a Series S at some point to explore this world, no doubt.

Last edited:

Hugare

"Identify system opportunities and reiterate" is not something that you should see during the "polish" phase, honestly

It has ways to go, but November seems ok

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Surprising given how little they have shown, but it wouldn't be the first time Bethesda waited until late to really pull back the curtain.

I don't know what to think of this game until we actually see something.

It's really insane to consider they have both those studios as well as InXile, which has apparently grown quite a bit since they've been acquired.

They have cornered the W-RPG market to the point that Sony will not be able to compete with them for a long, long time. Sony will get mutilplayer projects, Racing titles and even FPSs to counter MS, but they have zilch to offer in terms of W-RPGs now that Bethesda, Obsidian and Inxile are no longer available to them. Agressive and smart move by MS: If you want to try these studios sequels and new IPs, you will need to subscribe to Game Pass...

Last edited:
Not true at all, it's simply a priority, that's what they choose to prioritize. An engine is just a tool, no magic any engine can do anything as long as you have the source code. It's simply a matter or time and resources. A lot of people within bethesda have asked to ditch the engine in favor of others, it's Todd who doesn't want to let it go.
Yes, an engine is a tool is the point, and for Bethesda games, their engine is the best tool for them, there is no other. Since we are bringing up magic, switching to Unreal wouldn't magically make their games any better or less buggy, so what would be the point? Other than people repeating the same old trope that their engine is a problem, it clearly isn't, as you have just pointed out, any engine can do anything, so why switch?

Their engine was bad for the level of their games.

It didnt have the ladder function. No matter how much you evolve it, if its missing a basic setting, that is a bad engine.

They should have moved to a new engine with skyrim and fallout 4.
Actually their engine was quite good. There literally no other engine on the market with that level of moddability and world design. In fact some new UE5 features (like I forgot how it is called but basically tile based world) was in Creation Engine since the very beginning.
I am very looking forward Creation Engine 2. TES6 should also come sooner than we expect as they won't need to create new engine.

hevy007

Banned
Yes, an engine is a tool is the point, and for Bethesda games, their engine is the best tool for them, there is no other. Since we are bringing up magic, switching to Unreal wouldn't magically make their games any better or less buggy, so what would be the point? Other than people repeating the same old trope that their engine is a problem, it clearly isn't, as you have just pointed out, any engine can do anything, so why switch?
No where did i mention Unreal. They mention the trope because unfortunately it's a correct one, the engine is the problem trust me, i know. It's a workflow problem, it's very slow to get things into the engine. Things you were doing 10 years ago, it cuts into time that could go elsewhere. It's very cumbersome and not user friendly, slow, buggy, just horrific.That's why many want to ditch it and use modern tech and workflows instead of being tied to old ways of doing things. They just recently added FBX's, and not even true fbx, just embarrassing.

No where did i mention Unreal. They mention the trope because unfortunately it's a correct one, the engine is the problem trust me, i know. It's a workflow problem, it's very slow to get things into the engine. Things you were doing 10 years ago, it cuts into time that could go elsewhere. It's very cumbersome and not user friendly, slow, buggy, just horrific.That's why many want to ditch it and use modern tech and workflows instead of being tied to old ways of doing things. They just recently added FBX's, and not even true fbx, just embarrassing.
Unreal is an example, but since you don't like that one, cross it off of the list and name another. Considering the size and scope of their games, I don't think it's as slow and cumbersome as you think, since the evidence proves otherwise and their games actually get released in a reasonable timeframe and in terms of scale of the world blows every other game out of the water. If these supposed new tech and workflows from your as-of-yet unnamed engine (but not Unreal) are so vastly superior, then where's the evidence to support that claim with perhaps an example game made with that engine that matches the ones that Bethesda produces?

No, the Creation Engine is more than adequate for their purposes, and is being constantly improved, switching wouldn't be better, just different in some ways, and for quite some time, far worse in terms of output.

During the demo Godd, should say something along the lines "See that ladder? You can climb it" :messenger_tears_of_joy: If there were crowd, they would be standing ovations

Damn shame we won't get to see a crowd reaction of if he were to ever showcase a ladder being climbed in one of their games. It's something that would hilariously bring the house down in one of his oldschool public demos. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

abcdrstuv

Banned
Just give it another year, who cares

Is "clutter" what they call the 'interact with everything' junk collection/float a candlestick in the air system internally

As to their engine, the biggest reason I will continue to support them continuing to use it and not just ditching it for something else, improving and iterating it along the way is because Bethesda's teams build some of the most well realized and beautiful worlds in the business, and this game engine is a major part of what makes doing so such a powerful and convenient process for their creatives.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Just ignore him. He's the troll master — his posts never add anything of value to any thread (Xbox or PS).
I gotta love this whole gang who so love to project themselves on others. They are literally on a thread about a game in a platform they don't care about, calling others trolls. And I guess lick each others wounds.
unknown.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom