• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield in the polish/optimization stage of development

kingfey

Banned
Sony saw something in Babylon’s fall also
That is for their Japanese audience.

Bethesda is pretty much a big force for western gamers. Having exclusive access to that game, means you own majority of western rpg fans.

Now its different. With MS owning them, Playstation is set to loose most of their western rpg fans

GymWolf

I thought Fallout 4 and Skyrim had an acceptable level of bugs. What they really need to improve on is thier NPC AI systems. It's Bethesda game studios though, and I will be there on day one regardless.
I fear to know what is your example of unaccptable level of bugs in a game if bethesda games are acceptable...

Exploding console? A dev kicking you in the nuts while playing?

Last edited:

GymWolf

What bugs in bethesda games are unacceptable?
No bug is unacceptable unless it completely broke the game and you have to start all over after 50 hours...

But the quantity may be vary from title to title and bethesda games are usually filled with something glitchy every 5 meters or so, so i was asking what level of bug he consider unacceptable if that amount is acceptable for him.

Last edited:
No bug is unacceptable unless it completely broke the game and you have to start all over after 50 hours...

But the quantity may be vary from title to title and bethesda games are usually filled with something glitchy every 5 meters or so, so i was asking what level of bug he consider unacceptable if that amount is acceptable for him.
That's a tad exaggerated, don't you think? I played both Skyrim and FO4 for many hours and I could count the amount of annoying bugs on two hands. Maybe I was just lucky, but I've played (and still enjoyed) many games which were way, way more buggy than your average Bethesda game.

Chukhopops

I fear to know what is your example of unaccptable level of bugs in a game if bethesda games are acceptable...

Exploding console? A dev kicking you in the nuts while playing?
I’ve never had a game breaking bug or crash on (non-modded) Oblivion or Skyrim, it’s always minor stuff like wonky physics or collisions. I think I’ve seen maybe twice a quest break in Fallout NV which forced me to reload a save from an hour before.

Complete hyperbolic bullshit.

GymWolf

That's a tad exaggerated, don't you think? I played both Skyrim and FO4 for many hours and I could count the amount of annoying bugs on two hands. Maybe I was just lucky, but I've played (and still enjoyed) many games which were way, way more buggy than your average Bethesda game.
I played them at launch, a bit different.

But i re-tried f4 a couple of weeks ago, encountered like 4-5 bugs in the first 3 hours and bailed out.

You must be the luckiest man on earth to encounter less than 10 bugs/graphical glitches during a complete run with those games...

I played them at launch, a bit different.

But i re-tried f4 a couple of weeks ago, encountered like 4-5 bugs in the first 3 hours and bailed out.

You must be the luckiest man on earth to encounter less than 10 bugs/graphical glitches during a complete run with those games...
I don't count smaller bugs. Like an AI sperging out for a couple seconds is nothing that ruins my enjoyment of the game.

GymWolf

I’ve never had a game breaking bug or crash on (non-modded) Oblivion or Skyrim, it’s always minor stuff like wonky physics or collisions. I think I’ve seen maybe twice a quest break in Fallout NV which forced me to reload a save from an hour before.

Complete hyperbolic bullshit.
Dude these games are famous for being super bugged, you not having problems is far more of an hyperbole than mine...

P.s. i never modded these games since i played them at launch on console (oblivion and skyrim, f4 on pc still without mods).

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Dude these games are famous for being super bugged, you not having problems is far more of an hyperbole than mine...

P.s. i never modded these games since i played them at launch on console (oblivion and skyrim, f4 on pc still without mods).
You went from « something glitchy every 5 meters » to « 4/5 bugs in 3 hours », did you walk 25 meters in 3 hours?

Just admit you were exaggerating and move on. I’m not saying there are zero bugs but it’s mostly physics / interaction stuff that happens once in a while, and I think it’s always going to happen with open worlds that have complex interactions, physics and scripting.

Banjo64

cumsessed
You went from « something glitchy every 5 meters » to « 4/5 bugs in 3 hours », did you walk 25 meters in 3 hours?

Just admit you were exaggerating and move on. I’m not saying there are zero bugs but it’s mostly physics / interaction stuff that happens once in a while, and I think it’s always going to happen with open worlds that have complex interactions, physics and scripting.
Agree 100%. Didn’t encounter any glitches in my first Skyrim play through on 360. To be fair I’ve not encountered any on any of my play throughs, even when I got the plat on PS3 (to be fair it had been patched a lot on PS3 at this time). Just funny physics stuff. Only serious issue I heard was PS3 save states becoming dodgy when they reached a certain amount of playtime.

Last edited:
How do you mocap a computer?
What The Hell Just Happened Reaction GIF

Yep. You can provoke bugs all day long in Ubisoft games for example, despite their "polish". In fact I don't know any open world game where you can't constantly provoke bugs and glitches if you know how to.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
The game is on Xbox and PC, they may care about the game and not the platform and the main derail was started by Concern who just said he does not care about this game.

All because quality control comments were made about a game by a company with a history of …how to say it… jank and glitches too? This is not what has changed, what has changed is people being overprotective, circling their wagon, about one of their own (perceived) as if only the inner circle could criticise it not the invaders you are on the lookout for apparently. This kind of baiting console warriors and always being aggressive against someone not in the inner circle is really not conductive to any worthwhile chat no matter how you want to feel about it. So unwelcoming.
Going back to the entire post chain upto Concern's post, there was not a single post in this exchange about jank and glitches, yet you are using it to provide more ammo. Regarding me being "unwelcoming" you better check what kind of post I was replying to in that quote, which is somehow welcoming? You would have noticed I didn't call out any post talking about "jank and glitches", rather to people who are using this thread as an opportunity to police others and tag them fanboys.

GymWolf

Dude of course it was an exageration...still less exagerate than not encountering ANY bug like you said...

But yeah, between glitchy animations/ia/wonky phisic etc. is super common to see something wrong every couple of minutes, the 5 bugs in 3 hours were already a step further, so if for you encountering 5 medium bugs in 3 hours of a game that was patched to death is a good thing or something to brag about then i don't know what to say.

Bethesda games feels like playing something that is about to broke at any given moment, and that is not me exagerating since they are infamous for this aspect, no matter how much history we can rewrite here now that M bought them.

Cornbread78

I hate to say/admit it, but this being Ser X/S & PC exclusive can only help developement of the game for janky Beth.

Only question is.... digital or disc?

GymWolf

Yep. You can provoke bugs all day long in Ubisoft games for example, despite their "polish". In fact I don't know any open world game where you can't constantly provoke bugs and glitches if you know how to.
Ubisoft is really not the example you want for polished open world games...

One thing i'm gonna say in favour of bethesda and ubisoft open world is that they have a lot of shit that can go wrong compared to more polished but limited open world games like spiderman or sony open world games in general.

Days gone was the one with more interaction\chaos and it had framerate problems and glitches at launch.

We are still waiting for something with major interaction and polish i think.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned

Bethesda bugs usually comes from engine limitation.

The only garbage bugs were in fo76, other than that, their elder scrolls series bugs have been tame, compared to Witcher 3.

Bethesda doesnt have bugs which messes the game.

GymWolf

Bethesda bugs usually comes from engine limitation.

The only garbage bugs were in fo76, other than that, their elder scrolls series bugs have been tame, compared to Witcher 3.

Bethesda doesnt have bugs which messes the game.
That's why they need to change engine.

I played w3 at launch on pc and it had less problems than any bethesda game at launch, i guess i was lucky or the console version was much worse (like it was with cyberpunk)

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned

isoRhythm

Banned
Bethesda games feels like playing something that is about to broke at any given moment, and that is not me exagerating since they are infamous for this aspect, no matter how much history we can rewrite here now that M bought them.
There are literal 3-hour documentaries on YT documenting bugs in FO76...

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Witcher 3 was worse than any of bethesda game at launch, aside of fo76.

Dude are you purposefully misremembering Bethesda titles or something? Witcher 3 had issues for sure but they had nothing on the likes of New Vegas or Skyrim.

The Witcher 3 didn't get any of these, the closest it got where some community made visual bug fixes.

I am sorry this Is just unfair and outright revisionist history. Bethesda games have a reputation for a reason. The community has to step in to resolve thousands of left over issues when Bethesda are "done" with the title.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Still absolutely crazy to me they haven't showed a single snippet of gameplay yet. It's 10 months out and in development for years. Don't they care about getting people hyped or jumping on Xbox? A good gameplay demo is enough to sway people over, even 10 months out.

Anyone who would be hyped now, will be hyped in june 2022 when they do their E3 blowout. And whatever gameplay demo they’ll do with be better next year.

They’re selling all the consoles they make, anyway.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I'm hoping this will be a good game, but I don't get how so many are so confident without any extensive gameplay footage? I really need a good RPG!

How does gameplay footage tell you if a 50+ hour RPG is a good game?

People are relatively confident because the Elder Scrolls team has a great track record when it comes to RPGs…and they’re treating Starfield as their magnum opus.

isoRhythm

Banned
starfields ingame currency will be as distinct as septimes in TES or bottle caps in Fallout

they will be chips, or credit chips

actually, if you have watched the trailer you've seen it already
I'm dying to know if it's going to have alien species/civilizations or if they're going to keep it grounded and just have humans

There was that one trailer supposedly made in-game with the new engine, which certainly looks like we're in for a radically different-looking Bethesda RPG for the first time. Interesting that they've shown almost nothing yet, though. We could be in for a shock. The Bethesda NPC as we know him (or her) could finally be a thing of the past.

Top Bottom