• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam has a new top GPU - Hail the new king

winjer

Gold Member
After five years, the GTX 1060 has lost it's crown as the most used GPU, by Steam users.
And that GPU is the RTX 3060, with double the vram, more than double the TFLOPs, RTX and Tensor units, it's a huge jump.

5GXIpoV.jpg

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The RTX 3060 has been king of the hill for a while my guy.

The Laptop and Desktop versions are counted separately, while the GTX1060 Mobile and Desktop were counted as one.
Even the 2060 Mobile and Desktop are counted as one.

I believe Ampere is the first time Steam as made the distinction between Mobile and Desktop GPUs.

P.S I wonder what happened cuz looking at the changes, these are all massive month on month changes.....did Steam get a new update that did a full scan recently?

winjer

Gold Member
The RTX 3060 has been king of the hill for a while my guy.

The Laptop and Desktop versions are counted separately, while the GTX1060 Mobile and Desktop were counted as one.

That's because the GTX 1060 mobile and 1060 desktop are exactly the same cards. Same unit count, same memory, etc. Only a slight diference in clocks speed.
The RTX 3060 mobile has a different count of units and memory, compared to the desktop 3060. So they are not the same GPU, despite the name.

Last edited:

Klik

I have RTX 3060TI and on 1440p most AAA games run at 80-100fps on very high settings with DLSS quality. Amazing card and will probably last me till i get RTX 5070 in late 2024..

Or if bitcoin goes on a bullrun next year, maybe even RTX 5080😅

nkarafo

I still have a 4th gen i5 CPU with a GTX 1060 6GB. The last few years i'm trying to justify a new build, but the shitty prices and PC ports make the consoles the much better option. But i really want a PC.

Time for 3060 owners to upgrade again due to planned obsolescence.
If you mean by the VRAM then I do agree that Nvidia is restricting how much VRAM they give out to force people to upgrade but honestly it's not too bad.

The 3060 is over two years old and it comes with 12GB which honestly ain't terrible. We've started to see VRAM requirements increase but 12GB should last a while yet. People might just need to start turning down more settings. That shit has to happen eventually.

I feel bad for the people who got a 3080 with 10GB. Again, it's not bad for a card that is now 2 and a half years old but it's a higher tier model and 10GB felt like too little even at launch for such a card. There should never have been a 10GB model and they should all have been 12GB. A lower tier card like the 3060 can get away with having 8GB.

I didn't fall it for when people said 10GB would be enough in a 3080 and that's why I held out for a card with 16GB.

dave_d

Or if bitcoin goes on a bullrun next year, maybe even RTX 5080😅

Unless more of the AI stuff takes off and Nvidia and CUDA become the standard. (All I know is at my last job one of our teams did the AI on the image processing and they preferred CUDA. The team leader basically told me CUDA was a better solution than anything else with support for multiple GPUs if they needed it.)

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Still with a 1060. Waiting for when it will be safe to upgrade. I had a 560 Ti in the PS3 era and a 1060 6 GB that was supposed to see me through the PS4 games. How long do I have to wait?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Is 3060 the new 2080? Or the new 2070?

EDIT: Oh wow, its the same as a 2060 Super. Thats absolutely trash if you're upgrading from a 1060. Just 40-50% more powerful.

At least double your performance. Nvidia is scamming people. 3060Ti should be the performance the 3060 should be offering. Thats more or less equal to the 2080.

The 1060 was so popular because it was roughly on par with the GTX 980. 7 years after the launch of the 1060, people are upgrading to a 1080? They should be upgrading to something as powerful as a 2080 or even a 3080.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Not a 40 card in sight.

It is?

Ridiculously low hardware % but still in the steam hardware survey.

RTX 4090 : 0.25%
RTX 4070 Ti : 0.23%
RTX 4080 : 0.19%

0.67% total in the survey

Very low, comically low

But, for reference, AMD's 2.5 years old entire RDNA 2 series, which was in the same GPU craze as Ampere, sits at 1.01% in all that survey :messenger_fearful:
Dire business for competitors, jesus.

I'm guessing that since pretty much everyone jumped on Ampere as it's been the #1 family of GPUs since a while now on Steam, surpassing Pascal, that peoples are sitting the 4000 series out. Much like Pascal owners jumped Turing, much like i am waiting for the 5000 series, why would i throw away my 3080 Ti for 4000 series when i game at ultrawide 1440p? Honestly, not many games are stressing this rig. The pricing and performance delta of 4000 series make it an easy skip, it's ridiculous this gen, on both teams. 4090 is almost the only card that deserve the price as it's a league above 3090 vs 6900 XT for reference, but this is typical <1% products.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

After five years, the GTX 1060 has lost it's crown as the most used GPU, by Steam users.
And that GPU is the RTX 3060, with double the vram, more than double the TFLOPs, RTX and Tensor units, it's a huge jump.

5GXIpoV.jpg

Something seems borked with the Mar numbers, tbh. Why did the old 1060 that hasn't been for sale in years suddenly gain 2%. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

A sudden doubling of the 3060 seems oddly suspicious in comparison to previous trends as well. If I didn't know better I'd say you are looking at a much smaller data sample for Mar for whatever reason.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Something seems borked with the Mar numbers, tbh. Why did the old 1060 that hasn't been for sale in years suddenly gain 2%. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Probably some new market entered. Maybe a new country, or region in China.
Windows 11 had a similarly strange thing occur. Probably a bunch of new Windows 10 machines entered the Steam market, skewing results.

FWd2hNl.jpg

DaGwaphics

Probably some new market entered. Maybe a new country, or region in China.
Windows 11 had a similarly strange thing occur. Probably a bunch of new Windows 10 machines entered the Steam market, skewing results.

FWd2hNl.jpg

That's true, an influx of new data could also be a culprit.

winjer

Gold Member
That's true, an influx of new data could also be a culprit.

Could be.
Another thing to consider is that Steam doesn't poll every user. Only a part and extrapolate from that.
For the most part this will mean accurate results, especially with data accumulated over a long time. But sometimes, there might be some skewed results, just because for some random reason, more users with some hardware or software were polled that month.

DaGwaphics

Could be.
Another thing to consider is that Steam doesn't poll every user. Only a part and extrapolate from that.
For the most part this will mean accurate results, especially with data accumulated over a long time. But sometimes, there might be some skewed results, just because for some random reason, more users with some hardware or software were polled that month.

They'd likely get more consistent data if they just made the hardware survey a setting in the user profile (you share this data or not) and pulled that from as many users as possible.

It is?

Ridiculously low hardware % but still in the steam hardware survey.

RTX 4090 : 0.25%
RTX 4070 Ti : 0.23%
RTX 4080 : 0.19%

0.67% total in the survey

Very low, comically low

But, for reference, AMD's 2.5 years old entire RDNA 2 series, which was in the same GPU craze as Ampere, sits at 1.01% in all that survey :messenger_fearful:
Dire business for competitors, jesus.

I'm guessing that since pretty much everyone jumped on Ampere as it's been the #1 family of GPUs since a while now on Steam, surpassing Pascal, that peoples are sitting the 4000 series out. Much like Pascal owners jumped Turing, much like i am waiting for the 5000 series, why would i throw away my 3080 Ti for 4000 series when i game at ultrawide 1440p? Honestly, not many games are stressing this rig. The pricing and performance delta of 4000 series make it an easy skip, it's ridiculous this gen, on both teams. 4090 is almost the only card that deserve the price as it's a league above 3090 vs 6900 XT for reference, but this is typical <1% products.
I am willing to bet that the 30XX series is the most popular GPU series ever. It dropped while the Government was dropping free money. Time and circumstance were on Nvidia's side.

Buggy Loop

I am willing to bet that the 30XX series is the most popular GPU series ever. It dropped while the Government was dropping free money. Time and circumstance were on Nvidia's side.

You're probably right.

What will likely happen for the next generations of GPUs is we'll see something similar to car traffic waves, also called phantom traffic jams, where the phenomena that happened maybe 20 mins ago still has oscillations and impact on traffic because of the disruption on uniform flow. They are less intense than the initial jam, but still reverberate long after. I predict we'll see 5000 series popular (but less than ampere), 6000 series DOA, 7000 series popular, 8000 series DOA.. for a long time. We'll basically be upgrading en masses synchro for a long time because Ampere kind of reset the starting point.

To be seen.

Top Bottom