• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam has a new GPU on the number one spot

Buggy Loop

Before I took my coffee this morning, when I glimpsed at the thread title, and saw winjer winjer name, I thought for a second that AMD broke the top charts with the Starfield bundles or something.

Then I saw its the same old same old. 3060 had actually charted #1 a few months ago with over 10%

Nvidia-GeForce-RTX-3060-Steam-Hardware.jpg

It didn't just pop out of existence the month after, just that surveys will remain surveys, it can oscillate.

So people on the Steam have a PS5 equivalent hardware, but more expensive?!

Huh...

What you see is peoples investing more money somehow to keep up with game demand, what I see is peoples' return on investment from the 1060/1650 to have paid off. Likely the same will happen with the 3060.

That's the beauty of PCs, scalability.

Seeing Counter-Strike, DOTA 2, PUBG, Apex, GTA V, War Thunder, Team Fortress 2, Rust, Warframe, Civilization VI to reach millions of players every days, must be triggering so many console top execs. They wish they even had close to that retention.

true, but with the Pro cominng out these will look like shit in comparison

That being said, fuck the 1660, 1650, pretty much anything below 2060 performance. We really shouldn't have people using cards like that in 2023 unless your situation is desperate
Some of those people have literally no reason to move away from those cards when all they play are esports games like League, DOTA2, Overwatch and CS2.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
You should start by hoping video games are still a thing in the next 20-30 years. The way things are going, a complete societal collapse is a distinct possibility.

I don't see it where I'm living. Standard of living is better than it ever was. I guess it all depends...

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

LOL. I didn't even remember that I had created that thread.
I guess the title should be the old king returned to the top, a few months after.

Ozriel

M$FT
Series S, however, HAD to have parity with Series X. That is a problem that can't be solved.

there’s no parity clause for visual features or framerate between the Series X and Series S.

And devs certainly aren’t going to be making completely different builds for the next Steamdeck.

Mithos

I used a 2060 for the last 2 1/2 years. I upgraded to an RTX 4070 a few weeks ago. I'm glad that i waited.
3080+/4070 is the minimum upgrade I want to do from my 2060 Super, but I'm not that keen on paying ~€800 for it.
Sadly when that performance is available for the price point I'm willing to pay, games will not run as good as I want/need/require.

SantaC

On PC it's scalability.
On console it's "holding back the industry".
Because a console cant scale upwards like PC.
The person using a 3060 today can upgrade to a 4090 tomorrrow. Did you try that with your PS5?

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It’s funny how PC boys actually think the Steamdeck and its 3 million users somehow matter.
Well, there we go.

Anyways on your actual topic... Devs are more willing to optimize for it than the Xbox. As far as I'm concerned it's entrenched itself in gaming discussion despite the lack of sales. And it's supposedly been making waves in Japan, for pretty obvious reasons. You're gonna be hearing about it for years to come.

amigastar

3080+/4070 is the minimum upgrade I want to do from my 2060 Super, but I'm not that keen on paying ~€800 for it.
Sadly when that performance is available for the price point I'm willing to pay, games will not run as good as I want/need/require.
As far as i know a 4070 costs 600€. How about that? Should be a good upgrade from your 2060 Super.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I wouldn’t get anything less than a 4080

Drizzlehell

Banned

That being said, fuck the 1660, 1650, pretty much anything below 2060 performance. We really shouldn't have people using cards like that in 2023 unless your situation is desperate
No offence but takes like that are just detached from reality.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

The most popular games are Fortnite, CSGO, LoL, Dota, Minecraft, and Roblox. Those big AAA games with intense graphics are a minority, and a much smaller piece of the pie than multiplayer games that can run on an Intel Core Duo and a GTS 250.

Sleepwalker

Well, there we go.

Anyways on your actual topic... Devs are more willing to optimize for it than the Xbox. As far as I'm concerned it's entrenched itself in gaming discussion despite the lack of sales. And it's supposedly been making waves in Japan, for pretty obvious reasons. You're gonna be hearing about it for years to come.
The funny part to me is most reviewers I watch nowadays have a portion of their videos dedicated to see performance on deck, ally, whatever.

However, not many are going out of their way to say "yeah I tested the series S version and.." :messenger_tears_of_joy:

These handhelds have a very good portion of the enthusiast mind share :)

hyperbertha

I've got a 55" A90J.
4K looks supercrisp, especially with HDR on a OLED, but 1080p is perfectly fine with maxed out settings.

Personally, I think 4K is overrated.
Lol it's not 'perfectly fine' unless you have very low standards for image quality.
4k is overrated. even for higher screen sizes 1440p works just as well w/o a major perf drop.
Anything above 35 inch 1440 doesn't cut it.

Holammer

I'm still on a 1080, it works great and it gives me 1440/60 even with recent Sony games like R&C: Ripped a Fart, Returnal and Sackboy. You might need to trim some options, but it's still decent.

CF403D6DC0D5F60CAE909654113A50427B27BFC2

dave_d

The only comment I'm going to put in, but all the tech tubers were telling us how poorly the 4070 and 4070 ti were selling. You mean they were wrong? (Admittedly I wish the 4070 ti was $600. I'd upgrade if it was.)

Griffon

At this point, when I buy a PC I'll take whatever GPU is priced under 400€.

It doesn't matter if there's better hardware for insane prices, devs wont target those if they hope to sell enough to survive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom