• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam has a new GPU on the number one spot

Goalus

Because a console cant scale upwards like PC.
The person using a 3060 today can upgrade to a 4090 tomorrrow. Did you try that with your PS5?
I tried it with my Xbox One X. And it worked pretty well when I upgraded to a Series X.

MikeM

I've got a 55" A90J.
4K looks supercrisp, especially with HDR on a OLED, but 1080p is perfectly fine with maxed out settings.

Personally, I think 4K is overrated.
Can agree. I run a 65” LG C1 with both a PS5 and PC (7900xt) and have played Cyberpunk with RT at native 1080p for science. Still a great experience.

4k is nice but its only a piece of the image quality puzzle.

Buggy Loop

Can agree. I run a 65” LG C1 with both a PS5 and PC (7900xt) and have played Cyberpunk with RT at native 1080p for science. Still a great experience.

4k is nice but its only a piece of the image quality puzzle.

Temporal AA are doing all the legwork honestly. Raw 4K is worse than TAA'd 1080p in motion imo. 1440p is the sweeeeet spot. 4K was a push by TV manufacturers. 8K stupidity will appear soon enough.

StereoVsn

Or, the fact that people without a ton of money can still play games because they’re properly scalable is a good thing.
And look at the proliferation of handhelds with AMD 6800u and 7800u chipsets.

It’s amazing that we can get a lot of even newer games to scale down.

Last edited:

twilo99

true, but with the Pro cominng out these will look like shit in comparison

That being said, fuck the 1660, 1650, pretty much anything below 2060 performance. We really shouldn't have people using cards like that in 2023 unless your situation is desperate

The sense of entitlement in your statement is very strong…

No everyone out there has the disposable income required to satisfy some arbitrary hardware requirement anyone can come up with.

Mithos

As far as i know a 4070 costs 600€. How about that? Should be a good upgrade from your 2060 Super.
€600 will only get you a 4060 Ti here. €680 gets you the cheapest 4070 models, but different models of 4070 goes all the way up to €800+ here.
I wouldn’t get anything less than a 4080
Would require me to replace case and psu. also €1300 no thanks.

Edit:
Also my GPU budget is €500-600 MAX, so not possible to get the performance boost I'd want for getting a new GPU yet.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

€600 will only get you a 4060 Ti here. €680 gets you the cheapest 4070 models, but different models of 4070 goes all the way up to €800+ here.

Would require me to replace case and psu. also €1300 no thanks.

Edit:
Also my GPU budget is €500-600 MAX, so not possible to get the performance boost I'd want for getting a new GPU yet.
Have you thought about the RX 7800 XT from AMD? Or you need Nvidia for the tracing rays?

To stay on topic, the fact the 6700 XT isn't higher on this list being like 30% faster than the 3060 for the same monies just makes me sad, lmao.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Series S + GTX 1650 users holding an entire generation back.

This whole gen is cross-gen tho (with like a few exceptions)

In a world where the PS4 with its 2012 netbook CPU still gets new releases (AC6) how in the world is series s/1650 holding anything back?

XeoB50W.jpg

This means that the most used GPU by Steam users, has around the graphical power of a PS5, but with DLSS and better ray-tracing.
Steam has 132 million monthly active users in the last 30 days. So if we extrapolate that figure to the 6.27% of users with a 3060, that gives around 8 million users.
The 3060 has been the most popular GPU on Steam since 2022. It's just most people and journalists are dumbasses, they don't actually read the chart past the to first listing to see the 3060 is split into 2 the desktop and laptop version unlike most GPUs, like for example the long time champion the 1060 who's listing is combined. When you add up the 3060 like the other GPUs it has been the top card for awhile now. Some PC hardware news sites caught up to this but most gaming sites have no idea what they are talking about.

That being said, fuck the 1660, 1650, pretty much anything below 2060 performance. We really shouldn't have people using cards like that in 2023 unless your situation is desperate
I'm excited for the pro but it's still AMD hardware which is drastically behind. I would have been happier seeing Intel hardware on the Pro not that it would make any sense with Sony's rightful focus on back compatibility. Hopefully the pro is RDNA4 and RDNA4 is way better than RDNA1 , 2 and 3 were in their heyday but I doubt that considering the last 17 years of AMD graphics hardware. That and the rumors aren't looking so good for it either.

Nvidia is running circles around all gaming hardware companies right now.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
It’s funny how PC boys actually think the Steamdeck and its 3 million users somehow matter.

It’s funny how console boys will twist themselves into pretzels to downplay anything that isn’t from their favorite brand. The best looking game on the market CP2077 has a steam deck preset right in the options and runs fine on it. Cope if you must but steamdeck isnt going anywhere.

MarkMe2525

It is rumored the Pro will have 23 tf. My 4070 has 28tf.
Yeah, but even if this is accurate, younare comparing an AMD tf vs a Nvidia tf. This really doesn't tell you much. Add in tensor cores and we are left with a very large delta in possible performance difference.

TheAssist

In a world where a 4060 Ti costs about as much as a PS5, I would not call it desperate, but rather logical.

TheAssist

4k is overrated. even for higher screen sizes 1440p works just as well w/o a major perf drop.
I'm sitting pretty close to a 70 inch screen. I do not agree with you (but maybe its because of all that dynamic resolution, so that in many cases it doesnt even render 1440p). However 1440p is fine for my 43 inch PC monitor.

They aren't the same because they are drastically different architectures. Also remember TF is only a measure of fp32 compute, there's way more to a GPUs performance than fp32. And there's more to a PC and console than the GPU, what they do with the CPU for the pro is going to be critical. If it's just another old Zen 2 with higher clocks it's going to get demolished by even old PCs.

It won't. Unless it costs 799 usd.
23 AMD Terraflops is pretty cheap to achieve. Their lowest end current gen card goes for $250 and it's 21 Terraflops with 32 (RDNA3) CUs (compute units equivalent to Nvidia SMs) that's a smaller and cheaper GPU than the PS5s RDNA2 36 CU GPU which is a larger chip.

The PS5 Pro is rumored to have a 60CU GPU, we still don't know if it'll be RDNA4 but as you can see 32 RDNA3 CUs can easily push 21TFs as AMD measures them so 60CUs even if running at much lower clocks should be able to exceed what 32 RDNA3 CUs can do at higher clocks.

Thirty7ven

Banned
It’s funny how console boys will twist themselves into pretzels to downplay anything that isn’t from their favorite brand. The best looking game on the market CP2077 has a steam deck preset right in the options and runs fine on it. Cope if you must but steamdeck isnt going anywhere.

It’s not about going anywhere, it’s about the silly idea that some AAA dev out there is thinking “we can’t do that because it won’t work on a Steamdeck”.

Not downplaying anything, you just have an overinflated sense of importance. Cyberpunk runs on an Xbox One.

3 million userbase is nothing.

Last edited:

This mythical PS5pro will still not have DLSS.

The cheap 7600XT with 32CUs does 21 TFs as AMD measures them. The PS5 Pro should have no issue pushing 23TF even if running at drastically lower clocks. The key detail here is whether it's RDNA4 (it should be) or RDNA3. If it's 4 it's possible there will be a drop in TFs due to architectural changes, if it's 3 then 23tf for a 60 CU chip is way too low as RDNA3 on 60CUs right now (7800XT) does 37TFs at around 2400Mhz clocks.

The clocks on the PS5 Pro would have to be massively lower to have such a severe drop in TFs using RDNA3. For example the RDNA2 RX 6700 has 36 CUs (this is essentially the PS5s GPU) like the PS5 and it produces 11TFs which is close to the PS5s 10TFs and makes sense as the 6700 tops out at 2400Mhz while the PS5 tops out at 2100Mhz clock speed. So yea it's likely that RDNA4 will have much lower FP32 compute so TFs will be lower but gaming performance should be higher due to other changes.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
The cheap 7600XT with 32CUs does 21 TFs as AMD measures them. The PS5 Pro should have no issue pushing 23TF even if running at drastically lower clocks. The key detail here is whether it's RDNA4 (it should be) or RDNA3. If it's 4 it's possible there will be a drop in TFs due to architectural changes, if it's 3 then 23tf for a 60 CU chip is way too low as RDNA3 on 60CUs right now (7800XT) does 37TFs at around 2400Mhz clocks.

The clocks on the PS5 Pro would have to be massively lower to have such a severe drop in TFs using RDNA3. For example the RDNA2 RX 6700 has 36 CUs (this is essentially the PS5s GPU) like the PS5 and it produces 11TFs which is close to the PS5s 10TFs and makes sense as the 6700 tops out at 2400Mhz while the PS5 tops out at 2100Mhz clock speed. So yea it's likely that RDNA4 will have much lower FP32 compute so TFs will be lower but gaming performance should be higher due to other changes.

RDNA3 uses dual issue instructions, but most games don't use them. So half the units are just sitting idle.
But if Sony makes a PS5 Pro with RNDA3 or RNDA4 that has dual issue units, they can have an SDK with a compiler with support.
So in that case, the GPU would perform like a 21 TFLOPS GPU.

Or they just don't care lol

Soodanim

I'm playing Cyberpunk with path tracing now and it's amazing, it can make even most boring of objects look amazing, like this concrete pipe:

CC7kNKQ.jpeg
This screenshot is 100x sexier than people trying to show off neons reflected in puddles at night and all of the usual shit

If anything is redundant, it's buying a new card when you don't need it. A good chunk of the Steam userbase just plays Dota 2, CSGO or other F2P titles with toaster level system requirements. They have no reason to upgrade.
So true, been trying to inveigle my bud to buying a 4080 for a while and he was like why tf I need that? to run my Dota 2 at 900 fps? lol.

RDNA3 uses dual issue instructions, but most games don't use them. So half the units are just sitting idle.
But if Sony makes a PS5 Pro with RNDA3 or RNDA4 that has dual issue units, they can have an SDK with a compiler with support.
So in that case, the GPU would perform like a 21 TFLOPS GPU.
There's no guarantee RDNA4 will have that same architectural design and frankly I don't think console games are going to perform significantly better than RDNA3 does on PC games simply because most devs don't go balls deep on console hardware anymore like we see with the Series X and PS5 features that still aren't used to their full potential.

spons

Gold Member
Unless my RX 580 8GB spontaneously stops working I'll stick with it. Back when another 4GB of VRAM was simply 15 bucks extra + tip. I'm glad AMD still keeps making hardware for devout mid-rangers like me but I really do see no reason to pay money when I can shuffle some sliders and start gaming instead.

Dream-Knife

Banned

Lower clocks = less heat = cheaper cooling.

winjer

Gold Member
There's no guarantee RDNA4 will have that same architectural design and frankly I don't think console games are going to perform significantly better than RDNA3 does on PC games simply because most devs don't go balls deep on console hardware anymore like we see with the Series X and PS5 features that still aren't used to their full potential.

I's not so much the devs, it's the current compilers.

Xdrive05

I love my EVGA 3060 12GB!

I mostly only play at 1280x1024 (100hz), 1600x1200 (85hz) and 1080p (120hz-240hz depending on which display), and of course it performs admirably at all those.

Top Bottom