• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam has a new top GPU - Hail the new king

winjer

Gold Member
Is the 3060 more potent than the ps5?

In rasterization, is close. In Ray-tracing is significantly faster.
But then it also has DLSS. In the Quality mode is very close to native in most games, sometimes better. And it brings around 30% extra performance.

I have a 1060 ti (plus 2 rtx 3080 but is from work)

I remember when I was planning to get 2080 and wasn’t long ago lol. They release faster than iPhones . Gonna wait minimum 10 years 😂

flying_sq

My 3090 ti is now "other". Is a 3060 considered mid tier? I always thought the 60 series cards were low end options

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Lets Go Politics GIF by The Democrats

DaGwaphics

That's true, I just found it interesting so many tech tubers claimed it wasn't selling and everything because they want it to die for some reason.(It'll probably be ahead of the 4090 in the next survey.)

I don't think anyone ever suggested it wasn't selling at all, it just isn't selling well. Keep in mind that at about three months in the 3000 series cards were already over 1.5% each, with proper context the 0.23% for the 4070ti is not particularly impressive. It's selling at about 1/6th the rate of its predecessors. The value just isn't as good in the GPU space right now.

You'd think the 4070 would do a little better since it is at least nearing the price range more buyers shop at.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Nvidia and intel shares are up. And I was told pc gamers are the wiser ones. Maybe they won't pay as much for games as console gamers but they're completely fine with paying absurd hardware prices.

Last edited:

dave_d

I don't think anyone ever suggested it wasn't selling at all, it just isn't selling well. Keep in mind that at about three months in the 3000 series cards were already over 1.5% each, with proper context the 0.23% for the 4070ti is not particularly impressive. It's selling at about 1/6th the rate of its predecessors. The value just isn't as good in the GPU space right now.

You'd think the 4070 would do a little better since it is at least nearing the price range more buyers shop at.

I was kind of thinking of that "Classical Technology" halfwit who seems to rant on it you'd almost want to ask him "Where did the 4070ti touch you?" Of course he's the same guy that almost made a decent point and then messed it up because for him he's Ahab and Nvidia is Moby Dick. (Bus width doesn't matter, memory bandwidth does. Otherwise you'd still recommend ATA over SATA or PCI over PCI-E.)

ToTTenTranz

Banned
The top 19 are all Nvidia....#20 is the first AMD Radeon, and then #21 is Intel Iris Xe

There's obviously a lot more Nvidia cards out there than there are AMD's, but it's a known fact for a while that Steam Hardware Survey fails to properly detect the name of many AMD cards and ends up misplacing the spots as a result.

If you sum up all of AMD GPU entries you get something like 5.56%, while Steam's overview dashboard declares AMD's total share as twice as much. For some reason, Steam is putting a bunch of AMD cards into the "other" category, and that first AMD #20 spot only says "AMD Radeon Graphics", it doesn't even detect which model.

There's obviously a lot more Nvidia cards out there than there are AMD's, but it's a known fact for a while that Steam Hardware Survey fails to properly detect the name of many AMD cards and ends up misplacing the spots as a result.

If you sum up all of AMD GPU entries you get something like 5.56%, while Steam's overview dashboard declares AMD's total share as twice as much. For some reason, Steam is putting a bunch of AMD cards into the "other" category, and that first AMD #20 spot only says "AMD Radeon Graphics", it doesn't even detect which model.
Steam can only detect what the GPU identifies itself as. If AMD can't make drivers which have their products identify themselves reliably that's not Steam's fault.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Surprised that it's not a 4000 series.
Im actually shocked any of the 4000 series are on the board so early.
Im even more shocked the only AMD chips are:

6700XT - 0.38%
6600XT - 0.37%
6600 - 0.36%
6800XT - 0.19%

AMD arent even in this fight.

mrcroket

Steam can only detect what the GPU identifies itself as. If AMD can't make drivers which have their products identify themselves reliably that's not Steam's fault.
It is steam fault, there are many games that can detect your exactly amd gpu model, if steam can't something they are doing wrong.

Roxkis_ii

Hey, I did my part 👍

Not going to talk about the vram.... Let just say I'm not playing any current gen games Lmao.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
+6% in just last 3 months?! That's sus.
This is 10% of all steam users?! 3 mil peolple?

ToTTenTranz

Banned
This isn't even tangentially related to the point exposed in my post, but good job at shoehorning AMD hate at whatever cost.
I'm sure the overlords appreciate it, and you must really like the current pricing strategy over at Nvidia.

LostDonkey

Can I pair a 3060 with a 6700k?

I've been wanting to upgrade my GPU but I'm not if I have to upgrade mobo CPU etc

Last edited:

Three

The GTX 1060 is a special card... We can easily come back to this discussion once the RTX 30xx cards come out and see how its doing among PC gamers, my bet is that it isn't taking that #1 spot from the GTX 1060 for quite of bit time, thus I am not really buying this concern for the Series S and how it will apparently negatively impact the whole gaming sphere.

Nonsense. The 8800 held its position for 4 years because we had a long gen. Longer than the 1060 so far. There is nothing special about the 1060. Yes, lets revisit this in a year. The 1060 is already seeing a decline and next gen cards are seeing an increase.
[/URL]

Took a little longer than expected but as I predicted the 1060 fell to an RTX 3060.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Gamers: ”It’s unacceptable for Nvidia to provide so little VRAM”

Also gamers: Everything was Nvidia.
I have my reasons for buying Nvidia hardware.
But seriously.

How the fuck is the RTX 3050 even on the list?

The:
6600XT​
6650XT​
6700XT​
6750XT​
6800​

Deserved better from gamers.

After the price drops they really should be much higher on the list.
Gamers deserve all the shit Nvidia shoves down their throats cuz clearly we are enjoying it.

Last edited:

Reallink

Not a 40 card in sight.

Don't think they care, they've more than doubled their margins on every card they sell. 4090 in only 5 months, with no artificial crypto demand whatsoever, is already within spitting distance of the nearly 3 year old 3090 (which sold 90% of it's volume on crypto demand). Safe to say the 4090 is their most successful flagship/halo product many times over, and will probably turn out to be their most profitable single SKU of all time. They triple the BoM on every sell, earning at least $1000 profit. For comparison, they likely only earned $50 - $100 profit on all these "top" ~$300 cards. As I've mentioned before, they've fully embraced the Apple business model of only catering to the top 30-40% of earners. They don't want to sell cards to the poors, they want the poors leasing their Geforce Now computers for $15-20 a month in perpetuity.

Last edited:
Don't think they care, they've more than doubled their margins on every card they sell. 4090 in only 5 months, with no artificial crypto demand whatsoever, is already within spitting distance of the nearly 3 year old 3090 (which sold 90% of it's volume on crypto demand). Safe to say the 4090 is their most successful flagship/halo product many times over, and will probably turn out to be their most profitable single SKU of all time. They triple the BoM on every sell, earning at least $1000 profit. For comparison, they likely only earned $50 - $100 profit on these top ~$300 cards.
Yea this. And if the $600 rumor for the 4070 is correct then it seems the 4060 may still be ”reasonably” priced at $400 or so, which means people will buy it because it’s Nvidia.

SolidQ

How the fuck is the RTX 3050 even on the list?
alot people saying, when Nvidia hardware, steam survey asking you, but when AMD it's stopped:messenger_smirking:
But reality, for march is bullshit stats, impossible for one month 6% jump for 3060, also GTX 1060/1070ti improved, but 1070/1080 dropped.
Also can't be from Win 11 to 10 add 11%, intel stats also BS. March stats anyway fake or bug

P.S seems still working -

Loope

After five years, the GTX 1060 has lost it's crown as the most used GPU, by Steam users.
And that GPU is the RTX 3060, with double the vram, more than double the TFLOPs, RTX and Tensor units, it's a huge jump.

5GXIpoV.jpg
Bought one this past month. Very nice performance.

Doom Eternal, look for it yourself.
Doom Eternal is the only game which uses Vulkan instead of Direct3D as the graphics API so that's probably why. But I guess you are right here. Unfortunately Steam isn't going to start using Vulkan instead of Direct3D just to poll for the Steam Hardware Survey so oh well.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
What an interesting graph, wonder, why some other company isn't listed 🤔
Nvidia good, AMD bad

After five years, the GTX 1060 has lost it's crown as the most used GPU, by Steam users.
And that GPU is the RTX 3060, with double the vram, more than double the TFLOPs, RTX and Tensor units, it's a huge jump.

5GXIpoV.jpg
This is sort of old news. The 3050 became the most popular card last year it's just that it's split between laptop and desktop unlike most other top GPUs like the 1060.

SolidQ

Language
Simplified Chinese 51.63%+25.35%
now i'm understand why anomaly numbers, that is china botfarms

P.S we can now confirmed numbers in steam full BS

londontko

Whenever someone posts the steam hardware survey people can’t wait to get in here to post, ‘And here I am with my good ole 970 and i5 2600k still chugging along 🤷‍♂️’.

‘Guess I’ve got another few years until I need to upgrade’

‘My 1070ti still getting the job done at 1440p in Runescape’

‘Cries in gtx 960’

lyan

Language
Simplified Chinese 51.63%+25.35%
now i'm understand why anomaly numbers, that is china botfarms

P.S we can now confirmed numbers in steam full BS
Makes sense, there were a lot of 3060 eth mining cards. I guess they are probably now used to farm in Counter Strike.

Top Bottom