• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam has a new GPU on the number one spot

winjer

Gold Member

XeoB50W.jpg

This means that the most used GPU by Steam users, has around the graphical power of a PS5, but with DLSS and better ray-tracing.
Steam has 132 million monthly active users in the last 30 days. So if we extrapolate that figure to the 6.27% of users with a 3060, that gives around 8 million users.

Thaedolus

true, but with the Pro cominng out these will look like shit in comparison

That being said, fuck the 1660, 1650, pretty much anything below 2060 performance. We really shouldn't have people using cards like that in 2023 unless your situation is desperate
Or, the fact that people without a ton of money can still play games because they’re properly scalable is a good thing.

XeoB50W.jpg

This means that the most used GPU by Steam users, has around the graphical power of a PS5, but with DLSS and better ray-tracing.
Steam has 132 million monthly active users in the last 30 days. So if we extrapolate that figure to the 6.27% of users with a 3060, that gives around 8 million users.
I'm curious as to what caused it to jump by 1.4%

I'm using a 3060

Senua

That being said, fuck the 1660, 1650, pretty much anything below 2060 performance. We really shouldn't have people using cards like that in 2023 unless your situation is desperate
People can use what they want tbh, if you just play low end/casual stuff or retro games exclusively then have at it. I held on to my GTX 1060 until the beginning of this year and was great for that! Even ran some modern stuff fine at 1080p

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
People can use what they want tbh, if you just play low end/casual stuff or retro games exclusively then have at it. I held on to my GTX 1060 until the beginning of this year and was great for that! Even ran some modern stuff fine at 1080p
I can understand that, but it just feels redundant when its so cheap and easy to grab a card with 3x the speed in 2023.... we're out of the mining crisis, now

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
The 1060 gaining more market share year-on-year is crazy to me. I recall a friend of mine kept bitching in 2018 that consoles were "holding back" gaming and he had a 1070. 2023 and know what he still has? A 1070. Strangely enough, I haven't heard him complain in a while.

Where's the 1070, I can still play CS2 a 2023 game at respectable frame rates. Everyone should use the valve engine, we on a winner here

amigastar

Of course, around 17-18 if it happens, max 20 and I don't expect even that. If I'm wrong, customers win, but don't set yourself for disappointment with those expectations.
I personally don't care, i'm playing on PC. I even would welcome lower tf since my hardware would be relevant for a longer time.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
So people on the Steam have a PS5 equivalent hardware, but more expensive?!

Huh...
Most of them well below. The average PC gamer is not the PC Master Race elitist snob. In fact most games consider PC as their min spec (and scale up to it as a max spec at the same time).

This has become way more true in the last few years since GPU prices exploded too.

Hudo

We'll probably see 3000 series cards dominating the top 10 for quite a while until Nvidia et al. decide to unfuck their prices.

Killjoy-NL

The PS5 doesn't usually go down as low as 1080p, though... it's running at 4k most of the time, or around that
True, but 1080p maxed out with like 100+fps is more than a fair trade-off.
Maybe the latest games are a bit more depending, but 1080p maxed out is more than sufficient enough.

Maybe his rig is even able to run at higher res and still outperform PS5, but his monitor is 1080p.

Tbh, 4k is overrated anyway. I don't think res is bad unless it drops below 1080p.
(Same as 30fps being fine unless it drops lower)

Steam Deck & Switch 2:

john-cena-are-you-sure-about-that.gif
Neither would have any kind of parity clause. MK1 runs like shit on Switch and people accept that. In fact handhelds were always downgrades and that is fine. We know what we were getting into. BG3 has disabled split screen on Steamdeck.

Series S, however, HAD to have parity with Series X. That is a problem that can't be solved.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
I can understand that, but it just feels redundant when its so cheap and easy to grab a card with 3x the speed in 2023.... we're out of the mining crisis, now

€300+ isn't cheap for a lot of people, mate.

If graphics cards had the prices of around 2010, when you could buy a brand new last-gen midrange card for around €80-100, then I would agree with you. No reason not to upgrade. But for the current prices I'd say let people ride it out.

If anything is redundant, it's buying a new card when you don't need it. A good chunk of the Steam userbase just plays Dota 2, CSGO or other F2P titles with toaster level system requirements. They have no reason to upgrade.

hyperbertha

True, but 1080p maxed out with like 100+fps is more than a fair trade-off.
Maybe the latest games are a bit more depending, but 1080p maxed out is more than sufficient enough.

Maybe his rig is even able to run at higher res and still outperform PS5, but his monitor is 1080p.

Tbh, 4k is overrated anyway. I don't think res is bad unless it drops below 1080p.
(Same as 30fps being fine unless it drops lower)
4k isn't overrated once you go to decent screen sizes, ie anything above 35 inch.

Cramoss

It's a great little card. When I had one it played CP2077 at High and some settings at ultra with no RT perfectly at 1440p. Looked great on my TV.

Top Bottom