• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate 0 |OT| Another Time Dilemma

Gigaryu

Neo Member
So hmm im in need of some help. I reached
the bad ending im assuming, where Okabe refuses to do anything and continues his life ignoring whats going to happen to the world
. I`d like to know how do i acess the other endings (cant let it end like this ;( ) and is it only through a new game?

Arkain

So hmm im in need of some help. I reached
the bad ending im assuming, where Okabe refuses to do anything and continues his life ignoring whats going to happen to the world
. I`d like to know how do i acess the other endings (cant let it end like this ;( ) and is it only through a new game?

You can load a save and proceed from there. The closest story split was in the Pandora's Box chapter:
When you were in Daru's hideout with Maho and Okabe, you picked up the phone when Amadeus called you. The story splits to a different ending if you don't pick up.

Gigaryu

Neo Member
You can load a save and proceed from there. The closest story split was in the Pandora's Box chapter:
When you were in Daru's hideout with Maho and Okabe, you picked up the phone when Amadeus called you. The story splits to a different ending if you don't pick up.

Thanks!
I always get the bad endings first in these kind of games xD

Cactus

Banned
Updated my version, and my save got corrupted. Not really an issue.

What is really bothering me is that my quick load menu seems to be glitched now. All six pages are filled with the same saves that get replaced by another save whenever it triggers. Locking locks all the saves at the same time.

Any fix for this?

ChrisD

I had my data deleted three times before finally downloading and installing the patch properly, lol...

Haven't gone back to it just yet. But it's been due to other stuff, not the glitch. Fast-forwarding through the first hour and a half is easy enough.

Cactus

Banned
Hmm, manually deleting all my data and re-installing the patch before system data was created seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks.

deoee

Finished my first session and got the

The Promised Rinascimento end which seems like part of the true end. Now I'd gotta find out what happens if I turn off the phone at a certain scene etc.

Just finished it at 40 hours, and I'm feeling pretty disappointed.

Overall the story was just way weaker than the first. Felt like a lot of filler to reach a conclusion we've already seen.
The way the alternate endings are set up also means that after getting one ending you have to reload from way back and play through tons of slice-of-life stuff before the story ramps up again, which is a problem the original didn't have - once it got going it was a non-stop rollercoaster until the end.
Probably doesn't help that I went straight through to the Vega and Altair chapter which is pretty much the climax of the game, and the following 20 hours was just to see the 10 minutes that occurs after that.

The true ending itself was also underwhelming,
feels like they're just planning a third game, which itself seems to be the exact same thing of reaching a conclusion we've already seen.
The ending of the first game where Okabe bumps into Kurisu in the Steins Gate worldline was fantastic.

One issue I had was the worldline jumps, I didn't really understand them.
They were all caused by organisations obtaining Kurisu's memories correct? But even if that happened, wouldn't it take months or even years of research for these groups to develop an actual time machine, and the jump wouldn't occur until the point they actually do something to alter the past?

And then there's that weird jump back to the alpha worldline. How the fuck did Kurisu undo some outside entities timeline manipulations, that she'd know nothing about, with one simple D Mail?

Idk, I just overall didn't think much of this game.

There were some great moments though.
Okabe embracing 'Kyoma' in the Vega and Altair ending gave me chills, I loved it so much.
And the heartfelt scenes with Maho were great, the one where she's naked talking to him, and where he basically confesses to killing Kusisu and she tells him it's ok. Good stuff.

The true ending itself was also underwhelming,
feels like they're just planning a third game, which itself seems to be the exact same thing of reaching a conclusion we've already seen.
The ending of the first game where Okabe bumps into Kurisu in the Steins Gate worldline was fantastic.

One issue I had was the worldline jumps, I didn't really understand them.
They were all caused by organisations obtaining Kurisu's memories correct? But even if that happened, wouldn't it take months or even years of research for these groups to develop an actual time machine, and the jump wouldn't occur until the point they actually do something to alter the past?

And then there's that weird jump back to the alpha worldline. How the fuck did Kurisu undo some outside entities timeline manipulations, that she'd know nothing about, with one simple D Mail?

True ending:
I really don't think they're planning a sequel just based on that. VLR this is not. I do agree it could have had a more fleshed out send-off, though.

Worldline jumps:
We got a taste of this in an optional scene in the first game, when SERN captures Mayuri and experiments on her in the LHC. Okabe gets an email within an hour or so with a picture of a Jelly Mayuri in a newspaper clipping, despite the fact that there's no way she already made it to France at that time (and Okabe notes this). Her fate was already sealed.

As for the Alpha worldline shift, it's stupidly easy to cause a shift there if you mess with D-Mail at all. I detailed the way I think Kurisu changed the worldline back to Beta in one of my earlier posts, a theory which makes a lot of sense to me.

LiK

I kinda want a game based on
being in the Steins Gate timeline. I want a world where we see them without the time travel and WW3 stuff. I just want daily slice of life stories with the characters. They just need to remember to include Maho. I love her~

being in the Steins Gate timeline. I want a world where we see them without the time travel and WW3 stuff. I just want daily slice of life stories with the characters. They just need to remember to include Maho. I love her~
I don't mind that idea, but I do feel like they could create something very "anime" filler-ish that lacks any purpose or meaning to it. If they create anything in that timeline, I hope it's something with at least some weight and goal at the end.

ffvorax

Started the game a couple of days ago... is it my impression or the art looks worse than the previous game?

Not a problem anyway, I play it for the story... :p

LiK

Started the game a couple of days ago... is it my impression or the art looks worse than the previous game?

The art is incredibly inconsistent and lacks the more stylized art of the original. Don't be alarmed when you see them reuse character art from the first game for no reason.

Clov

Pretty sure there already is a game like this, though
not in the Steins;Gate timeline or anything.
It sounds like you're describing that silly love-comedy spin-off. It had a Vita release; wonder if PQube will end up bringing that and the side-story game over next?

LiK

Pretty sure there already is a game like this, though
not in the Steins;Gate timeline or anything.
It sounds like you're describing that silly love-comedy spin-off. It had a Vita release; wonder if PQube will end up bringing that and the side-story game over next?

What's it called?

The updated arts looks better to me, but I appreciate the style Steins;Gate had that was not as clean looking as Steins;Gate 0 is. It seems they went more toward the way the anime looked. There are parts where the old art is used though that can be jarring for most people, but I got used to it.

LiK

There were some CG scenes that looked gorgeous but then some look pretty half-assed. Like they were rushed/unfinished. It was pretty jarring for me.

Clov

What's it called?

The love-comedy spin-off is Steins;Gate: Hiyoku Renri no Darling. All I really know about it is
it's in its own, peaceful timeline, and Okabe has to work as a waiter to get money for the lab, or something.
There's also another game that's a bunch of side stories following different characters in different timelines called Steins;Gate: Senkei Kōsoku no Phenogram.

LiK

The love-comedy spin-off is Steins;Gate: Hiyoku Renri no Darling. All I really know about it is
it's in its own, peaceful timeline, and Okabe has to work as a waiter to get money for the lab, or something.
There's also another game that;s a bunch of side stories following different characters in different timelines called Steins;Gate: Senkei Kōsoku no Phenogram.

This is exactly what I wanted. Hope it gets localized.

Clov

This is exactly what I wanted. Hope it gets localized.

It would be nice, but they're both a few years old. It's really going to depend on whether 5pb thinks its worth it, I'd say. Those chances would go up if they ended up porting them to PS4 though, which might happen at some point.

LiK

It would be nice, but they're both a few years old. It's really going to depend on whether 5pb thinks its worth it, I'd say. Those chances would go up if they ended up porting them to PS4 though, which might happen at some point.

Maybe as a collection or something. Would be nice. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Clov

Maybe as a collection or something. Would be nice. Thanks for letting me know about it.

That would be nice, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them all released separately.

No problem! I already bugged PQube about localizing those two; maybe if more people asked them they could ask 5pb about it. :p

There's also one more entry, though I doubt it will ever receive an official localization; it's a small, non-canon PC sequel called Steins;Gate: Hen'i Kuukan no Octet. The entire game is 8-bit. It looks pretty neat, but it seems to be more of a novelty than a fully featured VN.

There's also another game that's a bunch of side stories following different characters in different timelines called Steins;Gate: Senkei Kōsoku no Phenogram.
Here I'm hoping they both get localised in the future so we have the complete set even if they are set in alternate worldlines.

All this talk of the Steins;Gate sequels/spin-offs just reminds me of how much I want to see other Science Adventure games like Chaos;Head and Robotic;Notes to come out over here. Obviously some games are more likely than others with Chaos;Head being pretty old if I recall. Though it has a Vita and PS3 release if I recall. It really sucks if we don't get that and get Chaos;Child only, which is a sequel and more likely to be sent over here with the anime coming out this year and it being a more recent release.

I finished this last night. I thought it was utterly fantastic. Its almost the perfect sequal. I didnt think i could like Okabe anymore than i already did but they did it. Amazing game cant wait for the anime.

LiK

The lack of high quality art for Maho is pretty disappointing. Finding a piece of good official art on Google for my avy took a while. I was using a different one but it turned out another Gaffer had the same one. Changed it to this one. Gotta represent.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
My thoughts are similar to a lot of people here - there are some parts I'm disappointed in but overall I really enjoyed it.

Outside of the confusing story branches, I like the way the story is paced. Even most of the slice of life segments ends with some kind of dangerous element, that make it feel like a series of mini-climaxes, instead of one big twist like the first game. Also, the second half of the original game was so strong it almost made me forget that it was REALLY difficult to get past those first several hours, when Kyouma was too obnoxious and I hadn't gotten to like the characters yet. This one starts off pretty much immediately, which I appreciate.

I remember that the Japanese release was delayed a few weeks to fix up quality issues or something like that. I think it could've used a few more weeks more to make some things clearer and expand on the true ending. One of the main premises is Okabe going through all of this to save Kurisu...so maybe some extras scenes (beyond the Amadeus stuff/"dream" sequence) would've been really helped it out.

Some things are still messy regardless, especially anything involving Kagari. There are, what, at least three different variations on the character? It's hard to feel for her when it's so confusing, especially since, by nature, her character is so malleable. Also, I found her adult design really distracting - I thought she was basically vagrant by the time you meet her, so why is she wearing such fancy clothes?

Initially I thought the story would focus more on Okabe's interactions with Amadeus Kurisu and World War III, but the story really only skirts with these (or sticks them in the beginning) and instead focuses on Kagari. Plus, what's the deal with the encephaltis breakout? It was brought up in that branch and then dropped. If this is meant to be sequel bait, I'm not sure if the questions being asked here are really worth a whole new game to answer - it feels more like sloppy writing.

Considering the whole game was about the steps to reach Steins;Gate...there are really only two main things, right? Okabe learning that he can "fool the world" (which is still a concept I'm trying to grasp...it made sense due to the casualty loop in the original game), and Mayuri going back to tell her past self to slap Okabe. It seems to imply there are other, untold branches that lead up to the true ending...but none of the endings really "go" anywhere. I love them (especially Maho's branch, which is one of my favorite parts of the game), so I wish they contributed more to the overall story.

The other aspect I really liked was Mayuri's development. In the first game, she was basically just a puppy dog that existed to get kicked around by the universe, but here she's a much more interesting, motivated (and less air-headed) character. Some of the character arcs could've been handled better - I like Daru's development but there's no real moment where you see his growth - he's just struggling and then, you're in the future and he has his shit together. The story also has no idea what to do with Luka and Faris, which is fine, except for when they kill Luka in an extremely melodramatic, pointless manner (doubly check because they don't show any of the aged characters except Daru). I heard similar complaints with Moeka, but I enjoyed her presence in the Maho branch.

deoee

I didn't even notice Maho had two different pairs of shoes in the game, cause you barely see her fully

Steins-Gate-0_09-01-15_006.jpg

LiK

Super end game spoiler: Another major gripe with the game I had
was they never showed what everyone looked like in 2036. Only Daru was revealed. We didn't see the faces for Mayuri or any of the other characters. We saw what Maho and Okabe looked like in 2025 but they didn't really look at that different since it wasn't a long time. It was a bit of a bummer considering they mention Yuki with little kid Suzuha in text but no actual CG art. Seemed like a total waste and made the farewell at the end someone less dramatic without showing him with them all. If they showed everyone, I feel like they could've made that ending much stronger and more satisfying.

Super end game spoiler: Another major gripe with the game I had
was they never showed what everyone looked like in 2036. Only Daru was revealed. We didn't see the faces for Mayuri or any of the other characters. We saw what Maho and Okabe looked like in 2025 but they didn't really look at that different since it wasn't a long time. It was a bit of a bummer considering they mention Yuki with little kid Suzuha in text but no actual CG art. Seemed like a total waste and made the farewell at the end someone less dramatic without showing him with them all. If they showed everyone, I feel like they could've made that ending much stronger and more satisfying.

Yeah, I would have liked to see what everyone else looked like in 2036, rather than just describing them in the background. Missed opportunity there.

LiK

What ending would you guys pursue first after
the Kurisu one
?

I followed a spoiler-free guide and just did all the endings they mentioned in order since the pathways to them go in order of encountering them through the game. Very easy to get them all compared to the original game.

80d6a2a2769b782628bf2612f46f184caf620937e88dfc6f1e53aeaef98c5194_1.jpg

Yes it is

Now, I remember this shot now that I've seen it again. I'm not surprised that I didn't really remember it when playing, though. Her appearance throughout the game showed her having this unkempt, messy look,
which fits with how she is in the game, especially during her route where she uses that room in Faris' place with Moeka that leads to the Sgt. Nae scene

Liked the game well enough for what it is (a slow ramp-up to a conclusion we've already seen). The first one is certainly a tough act to follow.

Maho is great. I liked most of the new characters. Kagari...less so. The whole thing about
her basically stealing Yuki's identity in that one worldline
was just confusing with little payoff.

Liked the bit of extra depth they gave Mayuri here too. Hearing Believe kick in during that certain part was gut wrenching.

I thought it was kinda funny how in the first game, Okabe is kind of an insufferable fuckhead at first while he's all-in with his Kyoma persona, and then you start to like him more as that starts to crack and fall away. Whereas in this game,
plain Okabe is the insufferable whiny fuckhead just willing to let WW3 happen, and then once he starts acting like Kyoma towards the end again you're all WOOOOOOO!

Just thought it was funny.

Faris still #1.

LiK

My favorite ending is
Maho ending. The conversation between Kurisu and Maho about Mozart with his music playing was really sweet. I also loved the sleepover with Faris and Moeko. That whole scene cracked me up so hard and made me love their interactions. Also, Moeko looks super fucking hot in that lingirie. Also, seeing their room get fucked up with mess was also hilarious.
LOL

13randO

My favorite ending is
Maho ending. The conversation between Kurisu and Maho about Mozart with his music playing was really sweet. I also loved the sleepover with Faris and Moeko. That whole scene cracked me up so hard and made me love their interactions. Also, Moeko looks super fucking hot in that lingirie. Also, seeing their room get fucked up with mess was also hilarious.
LOL

I've only seen two of the endings, but this one really was great. It gave Maho the time she needed to unravel as a character for the player. That, and it also ironed out the differences between Alphaline and betaline Moeka. I really wish if the upcoming anime could somehow fit Moeka's and Maho's friendship in somewhere. It's would be a shame for it to turn into "LOL not Canon.'

LiK

I've only seen two of the endings, but this one really was great. It gave Maho the time she needed to unravel as a character for the player. That, and it also ironed out the differences between Alphaline and betaline Moeka. I really wish if the upcoming anime could somehow fit Moeka's and Maho's friendship in somewhere. It's would be a shame for it to turn into "LOL not Canon.'

Seriously
Moeko is such a tragic sad character. I want her to be BFFs with Maho and not have to deal with psychos for once.

My favorite ending is
LOL

Agreed, it helps that she is the most developed and established feeling new character in the game. The closest to being as important is Kagari and she's probably my least favorite character addition in the game. The ending also had some of my favorite scenes like Kurisu and Maho and the confrontation with Judy. Plus, the whole needing to clean that room was hilarious and the ending definitely help me feel better about Moeka as a character than in the first game.

Top Bottom