• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad: Jared Leto seems less than thrilled his Joker scenes got cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
This scene still in the movie?

I don't remember seeing it

Slaythe

To elaborate, here is what he also said :

"I haven't seen the movie yet so I don't know exactly what's been cut out or not, but I do understand it's a bit of an introduction to the Joker, it's a bit more of a supporting part than maybe it could have been if they had used everything. But they have a method to their madness."

Remember Leto has always joked around.

When asked why he looked virtually the same as he did 20 years ago, he replied "it's crazy what a little human blood can do." .

BKSmash

This scene still in the movie?

660rOlR.jpg

No, this seems to be the scene:
Joker returns during the final battle in the subway station, face half-burnt from the helicopter crash, which apparently leads to a brief altercation with the Squad. He calls for Harley to escape with him but she refuses for once in order to help her friends, and the Joker escapes after throwing a live grenade at the group to cover his own escape

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Why people think sexualised domeistic abuse is out of the norm for the Joker when around Harley boggles my mind.

Isn't their whole relationship the abuse of her? She loves him, but it's apparent he doesn't strongly love her and only uses her for his means? At least that's what the few comics I've read and the games portrayed it as to me.

Raptor

So the cut all the scenes of the character that could have made this movie a great one.

Good job WB.

Leto is awesome and he is right, in bad taste perhaps but right nonetheless.

Isn't their whole relationship the abuse of her? She loves him, but it's apparent he doesn't strongly love her and only uses her for his means? At least that's what the few comics I've read and the games portrayed it as to me.

Pretty much. I've never understood why people (women especially) love their relationship, especially if they're against other depictions of abusive relationships in media or real life.

EGM1966

None of what he has said has to do with ego.

He spent months working on this for what ended up being 8 minutes of screentime, at most.

867c6d3a8531a0744fbf90f5ef850222.png

He isn't just the "hot topic" gangsta joker, his character was multi faceted, and sadly the movie's final cut does a really poor job at portraying that.

Anybody would be butt hurt.
Given The Joker clearly shouldn't have a major part in the film I do wonder why they put do much effort in and filmed do many more scenes?

Need more details but as SS stands it should have even less Joker and focus solely on the squad themselves. Just having Joker unbalances the core bad guy dirty dozen narrative. So either they toyed with a different structure with more Joker as an option or they filmed a messy script with too many extraneous Joker scenes and cut it back to try and focus on SS or some other "we're not clear on the film were making fuckery".

Whatever the films uneven production clearly didn't produce a great result.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Given The Joker clearly shouldn't have a major part in the film I do wonder why they put do much effort in and filmed do many more scenes?

Need more details but as SS stands it should have even less Joker and focus solely on the squad themselves.

Or...you know, just have The Joker serve as the film's central antagonist.

Problem solved.

Slaythe

Need more details but as SS stands it should have even less Joker and focus solely on the squad themselves. Just having Joker unbalances the core bad guy dirty dozen narrative. So either they toyed with a different structure with more Joker as an option or they filmed a messy script with too many extraneous Joker scenes and cut it back to try and focus on SS or some other "we're not clear on the film were making fuckery".

Here is the best and most relevant interview we are gonna get regarding Leto and the Joker :

http://bcove.me/goovzb9w

They definitely made him go through a shit load of things (including shaving his eyebrows again, that grew back less and less...) for barely any screentime.

It's not Jared's fault if they had Joker being a prominent character at first.

He is a method actor, he has went through insane amount of work for his previous roles, we can imagine that he invested himself a lot in this character too.

It's never nice to see you're basically written out of a movie.

He seems kind of hurt, when he says "I'm so little in the movie... So I'm just talking and sharing". He implies he would like a Joker focused movie, but he also confirms he has no signed deal for any other movie as the character.

Problem solved.
Would work best like in Assault on Arkham, the wildcard that throws a wrench in their plans and fucks everything up. The squad should be more scared of him than the main antagonist.

EGM1966

Problem solved.
Well yeah: but it would have been a totally different film which is my point. They made SS but squeezed in Joker and Batman when they weren't really needed. A few flashbacks would have been a cute solution but they flubbed it.

I mean I'd be more interested in an Afleck, Leto and Robbie focused Batman/Joker flick with a decent Harley but that's not the actual film.
Here is the best and most relevant interview we are gonna get regarding Leto and the Joker :

http://bcove.me/goovzb9w

They definitely made him go through a shit load of things (including shaving his eyebrows again, that grew back less and less...) for barely any screentime.

It's not Jared's fault if they had Joker being a prominent character at first.

He is a method actor, he has went through insane amount of work for his previous roles, we can imagine that he invested himself a lot in this character too.

It's never nice to see you're basically written out of a movie.

He seems kind of hurt, when he says "I'm so little in the movie... So I'm just talking and sharing". He implies he would like a Joker focused movie, but he also confirms he has no signed deal for any other movie as the character.
Interesting and yeah sounds as I suspected: they weren't clear on their script and character focus and put too much effort into Joker then cut him back to allow focus on main characters.

That does suck for Leto though.

Oh well: could be worse after all Big Chill cut out every scene of Kevin Costner's character alive. You did see him briefly as the corpse though!

benjipwns

Banned
Pretty much. I've never understood why people (women especially) love their relationship, especially if they're against other depictions of abusive relationships in media or real life.
One issue (I forget what series or year) added a little twist that had Batman speculating and Harley suggesting agreement that she uses her "love" of The Joker and acceptance of his abuse as an excuse for her to act insane and kill people and so on.

Clearly you'd have to be "insane" to love The Joker right? And if you're that crazy well...

SpaceWolf

Banned
Would work best like in Assault on Arkham, the wildcard that throws a wrench in their plans and fucks everything up. The squad should be more scared of him than the main antagonist.

But then you just have a situation where you have a central antagonist in your film who's nowhere near as effective as a villain as they should be on account of continuously wrestling for screen-time with a comparatively superfluous character who's contributing far less to the story. Additionally, when it comes to team based movies like this one ...you already have to establish like, nine main characters in addition to having to establish a menacing central villain, so the problem is only exacerbated further by trying to shoe-horn in additional unnecessary characters into your story.

Who even was the main antagonist in Assault on Arkham anyway? The Riddler?

Well yeah: but it would have been a totally different film which is my point.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I understand your point and it's a good one. Apologies if I sounded a little snippy there in my response, my snark was directed purely towards Warner Brothers, not you! By all accounts, the studio really seem to have messed this up, if not in terms of it's box office intake which is still to be decided.

Problem solved.

I don't know anything about the SS story from comics or anything, but I honestly thought the Joker was the central antagonist. Bleh, what little interest I had in seeing it is now kinda squashed, given the generally negative opinions of the movie I've read. :-(

But then you just have a situation where you have a central antagonist in your film who's nowhere near as effective as a villain as they should be on account of continuously wrestling for screen-time with a comparatively superfluous character who's contributing far less to the story. Additionally, when it comes to team based movies like this one ...in addition to having to establish a menacing central villain, so the problem is only exacerbated further by trying to shoe-horn in unnecessary characters into your story.

Who even was the main antagonist in Assault on Arkham anyway? The Riddler?
It was basically a heist-gone-wrong movie. Batman and then Joker after he escapes are the main threats, but salvaging the mission is the challenge

Lebron

Shrug. Don't see how putting the scenes in that were cut would change anything. In a world where better Jokers exist, he was pretty generic "crazy".

He should send more condoms next time I guess.

I think having Batman as a potential threat lurking out there somewhere could have done wonders. Then you get that slasher movie vibe: the squad has their mission, but they know there's that Bat variable that could strike at any moment. And when Joker comes into play, the squad becomes a side player in the Batman-Joker conflict going on around them. Kind of how the Gotham PD is portrayed in Gotham Central. They're the main characters of their stories, but in the grand scheme of things, they're kind of like pawns and such in the larger battle of Batman against his foes

benjipwns

Banned
This was basically my point. I thought The Joker essentially is the wildcard who throws a wrench into the Squad's plans when it comes to this film?
Not to the extent that you would expect from The Joker. Basically just steals a helicopter.

So basically, we are going to get a extended Ultimate Cut of this as well
Snyder had that written into his contract tho. Ayer says this is his cut and there's only really ten random minutes of deleted scenes.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think having Batman as a potential threat lurking out there somewhere could have done wonders. Then you get that slasher movie vibe: the squad has their mission, but they know there's that Bat variable that could strike at any moment. And when Joker comes into play, the squad becomes a side player in the Batman-Joker conflict going on around them. Kind of how the Gotham PD is portrayed in Gotham Central. They're the main characters of their stories, but in the grand scheme of things, they're kind of like pawns and such in the larger battle of Batman against his foes

That would have been an awesome movie.

EGM1966

That would really unbalance the film if they're trying to have any semblance of the squad being the lead characters of interest. Also why worry about Batman when they're government endorsed? It's just weak internal logic to go that route.

Unless they literally made a different film they should have focused purely in their "Dirty Dozen" and excluded Batman and Joker entirely. Or relegated them purely to character relevant flash backs.

Now, I think he has a right to be mad. If what we did see is any indication though, can we assume he is out as Joker right? Right!? Cause that was...not good.

Sorcerer

I have a feeling WB was scared the Squad would not sell themselves and wanted Joker and Batman in so they could sort of mislead in the trailers a bit.
Looking at some of the movie posters in the theater last week Joker is not even in some of the artwork, witch is rather strange.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
From what I read, most of the joker scenes that where in the trailers have been cut for the movie. I loved every scene of his joker in the trailers. Every single one.

Still can't understand why they wasted Joker on this movie and not a batman solo movie. Sad!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That would really unbalance the film if they're trying to have any semblance of the squad being the lead characters of interest. Also why worry about Batman when they're government endorsed? It's just weak internal logic to go that route.

Unless they literally made a different film they should have focused purely in their "Dirty Dozen" and excluded Batman and Joker entirely. Or relegated them purely to character relevant flash backs.

You act like Batman would know these guys worked for the feds. What, do they give him a ring and go, "Oh yea, just FYI these insane killers you threw in jail are going to be doing a job for us and we're not entirely sure we can trust them while they're on the mission."

Hell, he'd probably sweep these guys up and take care of the job himself if he ever got that call.

benjipwns

Banned
I have a feeling WB was scared the Squad would not sell themselves and wanted Joker and Batman in so they could sort of mislead in the trailers a bit.
Looking at some of the movie posters in the theater last week Joker is not even in some of the artwork, witch is rather strange.
They knew he wasn't in it enough that their best character with the marketing switch (to "this is wild and crazy!" compared to the dark/somber first trailer) was the popular Harleen.

Having Batman trying to stop them changes the dynamic from "superpowered operatives on a mission" to "villlains on a mission". For all the talk of it being the Suicide Squad and the bad guys, do they even feel like "bad guys" here? It's different in the comics, where the reader knows the history, but you can't treat it like that in the movie. People don't have the preconcieved notion that these are villains, or have history with these characters.

Darryl

Banned
His Joker was one of the things I was looking forward to seeing the most and it's clear most of it was cut in an effort to create a more fun, light-hearted movie.

ya if they chopped him out I don't really care to see the film tbh. hope the scenes come out at some point

SpaceWolf

Banned
I have a feeling WB was scared the Squad would not sell themselves and wanted Joker and Batman in so they could sort of mislead in the trailers a bit..

The Joker has always been an instant money-maker, and I really don't really doubt that the character's inclusion in this film wasn't a decision that was borne naturally out of the storytelling process while the script was in the process of being written, but more as a demand by the studio to make this film instantly more appealing to average audience members. Being able to advertise your movie with "JARED LETO IS...THE NEW JOKER" is a great way to help generate an insane amount of interest for your film on the run-up to release. Mainstream audiences, very much like with Batman, know and love that character and his name being slapped on any product is always a sure-fire way to guarantee sales for pretty much anything you can name.

Joker's inclusion in this film, basically seems to mirror Wonder Woman's inclusion in Batman v Superman: ie. popular comic characters with strong fanbases who were shorehorned into their respective movies as utterly superfluous characters who added nothing to the story, purely included so they can serve as a talking point for Warner Brother's marketing team when advertising both films.

Ahasverus

If I was asked to cut my eyebrows, paint my hair green and have a 4 hours make up session for 5 months only to be reduced to a cameo after filming lots of interesting stufdt, I'd be pissed too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom