• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tears of the kingdom has leaked [Spoilers in this Thread]

Sleepwalker

When you collect all the Korok seeds this time, Hestu gives you......

a bucket of piss
35fej50bpoxa1.jpg
The completionist in shambles

hemo memo

Gold Member
I maintain this is much better than breath of the wild. I'm not far in but it's incredibly addictive and I liked breath of the wild, haven't played it in a while but never was as much into it as other Nintendo games.

Few further things I've noticed that don't think need spoiler tags.

I think the loot for side quests and exploration is more meaningful.

There is a lot more going on in the world and a lot more enemy variety. If you found things distracting in Breath of the wild, this is so hard to keep on track ( in a good way)

I'm very interested to hear what everyone thinks of it when the time comes.
I'm not being funny when I say reviews are almost worthless for Zelda games. Reviews will either overscore out of fear or have the Jim Sterling crowd do the opposite for attention.

I'd imagine the reviews for this game are going to read like the first breath of the wild was a piece of shit and this improved all aspects of it.. which is true but Nintendo reviews can be hilarious like this sometimes. It's like " Remember that game we gave 10/10 scores to and said was perfect, well NOW we discovered problems with it!!"
So far though this really is a 9/10 game for sure.

Some my negatives are still the UI and controls. Much like the original they take getting used to and there is a bit of starting and stopping through menus during combat. though not as bad. Things like the fusion can be very finnicky to use. Supringly once you get the hang of it - the ultrahand is as good as it could be. It's funny how they nailed that and made the fusion a lot weirder to use when the Ultrahand is much more complicated to code I'd imagine. And you can only hold items by going into the start menu, it's strange how they created a shortcut to an items menu this time but only allow you to drop stuff from it and not hold. Odd choice there.
But again nothing here that's a deal breaker.
BotW was developed for 2 systems but with this the Switch is all the focus. BotW was totally new but this is building on the already established infrastructure and taking negatives from the previous game. I believe the fuse system was the team answer to weapon breaking and of course proper dungeons.

Hugare

The start of the game is so boring

You find a ghost, you're droped on some sky islands that are just like the Great Plateau (but with cumbersome traversal) serving as the tutorial area full of weak enemies and talking robots, then you have to finish some shrines to open one big door and ...

Sleep Yawn GIF

They've even replicated the same beats from the beginning of the first game, and there are people refusing to accept is as the Botw 1.5 that it is.

PS: Fuse ability is awesome tho. But breakable weapons ruin everything yet again.

Last edited:
From what I gathered around the internet. The supposed timeline of this Zelda title...

Skyward Sword
The Zonai/Hyrulian Royal Family from ToTK
ToTK is Demise first incarnation of Ganondorf
He gets sealed by ToTK characters. (ToTK Mural)
Minish Cap, Four Swords, then Ocarina of Time
OoT has a 2nd incarnation of Ganon
Timeline Splits (Downfall, Adult Link, Young Link)
Timeline Merges (This is called a Dragon Break)
Sometime later is Calamity Ganon (BOTW Mural)
10,000 Years Later Age of Calamity Spin-Off
100 Years later is BOTW
5 years later is TOTK with events described post-Skyward Sword, first incarnation of Ganondorf with Zonai from first Hyrule and BOTW Zelda who goes back to Zonai Hyrule and comes back to ToTK as Dragon Zelda

sigmaZ

The takeaway from the leaks is this game 100% justifies the $70 price tag and I’ll probably get that Zelda OLED too
Yeah. Despite the take of naysayers, here are some positives from someone who was kind of meh on BOTW though I enjoyed it enough to complete it.

-The music is WAY better. My god. I love what they are doing thematically with stuff here.
-The shrine have a really cool zen garden aesthetic that's awesome along with the music.
-The world feels much more interactive once you unlock the new abilities. I'm not a Minecraft or survival enthusiast. I usually get bored of those games within an hour, but I haven't been getting bored of this for some reason. I feel like everything is well integrated into the exploration that a lot of it comes naturally and there are plenty of ways to access material to build with without farming for an hour.
-The fuse system makes random sticks and rocks you find useful to the point that weapons breaking isn't really an issue because you can just forge a new one. (bows and swords breaking is still annoying though tbh. I'd rather have them dull or something)
-The able to jump up through surfaces is a game-changer and makes the verticality aspect of BoTW even better.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So, um, now there's an update 1.1.0 leak as well?

I've watched the intro bits and to me it seems to be visibly more dense in geometry and details than BOTW. It looks really lovely.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

So, um, now there's an update 1.1.0 leak as well?

I've watched the intro bits and to me it seems to be visibly more dense in geometry and details than BOTW. It looks really lovely.
Yeah anyone saying it’s the same engine or looks exactly the same is on something. Noticeably better than BOTW

Termite

(Someone I know is....) 30 shrines down, 1 dungeon down, most of the east side of the map explored.

It's a great game, but it's so, so reliant on ultrahand and building things that if you don't like that then you're going to struggle. Have barely used ascend or recall in 15 hours. It's ALL about fuse and ultrahand, all the time.

There are times when you've just spent 5 minutes fiddling with objects in 3d space and trying to make sure they stay upright and then you get to a new room and it's more building and you just think FUCK, give me a break from this for 5 minutes, please.

I also think, as insanely large as they are, that the depths will be controversial. LOTS of travelling in the dark, little to actually find. Feels *very* dark souls. But seeing a lightseed in the distance and plotting how to get over there is fun as fuck, it's just that there's not much on the way.

Also, the dungeon there was was styled as a traditional dungeon with a traditional dungeon map but in terms of design was far more like a divine beast. You activate 5 things in any order to beat the dungeon. No small keys, no dungeon item, no boss key, no compass etc. You can just climb past a lot of the puzzles. But because it looks and feels like a dungeon and has a proper Zelda dungeon boss that gives you a heart container I'm sure people will be satisfied. (My take was always that Divine Beasts WERE dungeons in the first place.)

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Curious to see if anyone does a 1:1 comparison of the alleged 1.1 update vs 1.0…like I said previously, Alex Navarro said Nintendo strongly hinted at a day 1 patch. I just hope I can get it on hotel wifi as I’ll be traveling next Friday

GymWolf

(Someone I know is....) 30 shrines down, 1 dungeon down, most of the east side of the map explored.

It's a great game, but it's so, so reliant on ultrahand and building things that if you don't like that then you're going to struggle. Have barely used ascend or recall in 15 hours. It's ALL about fuse and ultrahand, all the time.

There are times when you've just spent 5 minutes fiddling with objects in 3d space and trying to make sure they stay upright and then you get to a new room and it's more building and you just think FUCK, give me a break from this for 5 minutes, please.

I also think, as insanely large as they are, that the depths will be controversial. LOTS of travelling in the dark, little to actually find. Feels *very* dark souls. But seeing a lightseed in the distance and plotting how to get over there is fun as fuck, it's just that there's not much on the way.

Also, the dungeon there was was styled as a traditional dungeon with a traditional dungeon map but in terms of design was far more like a divine beast. You activate 5 things in any order to beat the dungeon. No small keys, no dungeon item, no boss key, no compass etc. You can just climb past a lot of the puzzles. But because it looks and feels like a dungeon and has a proper Zelda dungeon boss that gives you a heart container I'm sure people will be satisfied. (My take was always that Divine Beasts WERE dungeons in the first place.)
This is not very good to hear for me personally.

What do you mean that it rely so much on fuse and ultra-hand? Why do you have to build stuff all the time in every room? Can you make a practical example?

And can you explain more about the dungeons being divin beast in disguise (i absolutely hated those in the first game).

Also, do you get all the cool stuff (gadget, skills etc.) In the first 5 hours of the game or this time they learned how to pace progression properly?

Is the reward for beating a main boss in a dungeon just an heart container?

Termite

This is not very good to hear for me personally.

What do you mean that it rely so much on fuse and ultra-hand? Why do you have to build stuff all the time in every room? Can you make a practical example?

And can you explain more about the dungeons being divin beast in disguise (i absolutely hated those in the first game).

Also, do you get all the cool stuff (gadget, skills etc.) In the first 5 hours of the game or this time they learned how to pace progression properly?

Is the reward for beating a main boss in a dungeon just an heart container?
To answer your questions:
Pretty much every shrine is about building shit. For example, I found a "proving grounds" trial where they take all your equipment. I thought it would be about sneaking around, but in reality you had to use ultrahand to fix spikes onto a robot base to go kill the enemies. In another one you have to fix spikes to a wall in a pachinko machine to get the ball to go where it needs to. In another one you have to build a "scoop" and attach it to a turbine to scoop balls out of a hollow. Every shrine is like this, pretty much. In another, you build a plane to get over a chasm. In another, a raft to get over a lake. You enter, see some items strewn about, and know that you'll have to put them together to pass the test. Every so often there'll be a shrine that works around the Recall ability, but they're rare.

The dungeons being divine beasts in disguise simply means that they aren't like traditional Zelda dungeons, which typically had a linear route to beat, had puzzles based around a dungeon item, and had you eventually getting a boss key and getting to the boss room. Divine beasts, on the other hand, had no dungeon items and 5 terminals that you could activate in any order. Here, the one dungeon I played was designed like the latter. I had to strike 5 gongs, and could do it in any order. No dungeon item, no small keys. The whole dungeon was based around building mine carts and using mine cart tracks to get from one level to another - but you could skip a lot of it with climbing, which I did.

You get all your abilities in the first two hours in the tutorial area - just like BotW. The exception is the camera.

The reward for beating a boss is a heart container but ALSO the ability to summon your ally from that dungeon whenever you want. So, since Yunobo is the fire temple ally I can now summon his spirit wherever. He will attack enemies (poorly) or you can tell him to use a flaming rolling attack (that you need to get into the dungeon in the first place). It's pretty lame, I'm hoping other allies are of more use.

Last edited:

GymWolf

To answer your questions:
Pretty much every shrine is about building shit. For example, I found a "proving grounds" trial where they take all your equipment. I thought it would be about sneaking around, but in reality you had to use ultrahand to fix spikes onto a robot base to go kill the enemies. In another one you have to fix spikes to a wall in a pachinko machine to get the ball to go where it needs to. In another one you have to build a "scoop" and attach it to a turbine to scoop balls out of a hollow. Every shrine is like this, pretty much. In another, you build a plane to get over a chasm. In another, a raft to get over a lake. You enter, see some items strewn about, and know that you'll have to put them together to pass the test.

The dungeons being divine beasts in disguise simply means that they aren't like traditional Zelda dungeons, which typically had a linear route to beat, had puzzles based around a dungeon item, and had you eventually getting a boss key and getting to the boss room. Divine beasts, on the other hand, had no dungeon items and 5 terminals that you could activate in any order. Here, the one dungeon I played was designed like the latter. I had to strike 5 gongs, and could do it in any order. No dungeon item, no small keys. The whole dungeon was based around building mine carts and using mine cart tracks to get from one level to another - but you could skip a lot of it with climbing, which I did.

You get all your abilities in the first two hours in the tutorial area - just like BotW. The exception is the camera.

The reward for beating a boss is a heart container but ALSO the ability to summon your ally from that dungeon whenever you want. So, since Yunobo is the fire temple ally I can now summon his spirit wherever. He will attack enemies (poorly) or you can tell him to use a flaming rolling attack. It's pretty lame, I'm hoping other allies are of more use.
The shrines where you build stuff doesn't sound super bad, i guess they are more original and harder then previous shrines.

But the rest is not what i wanted to hear, thanks for the impressions.

I'm still keeping my preorder because the alternative would be to play redfall but fuck me if it isn't hard to find things to be excited for if you weren't a botw fanboy in the first place...

Termite

The shrines where you build stuff doesn't sound super bad, i guess they are more original and harder then previous shrines.

But the rest is not what i wanted to hear, thanks for the impressions.

I'm still keeping my preorder because the alternative would be to play redfall but fuck me if it isn't hard to find things to be excited for if you weren't a botw fanboy in the first place...
This is absolutely BotW 2, make no mistake.

If you didn't like BotW and wanted a return to traditional Zelda, I can't see this game changing your mind one bit. There are a lot of times when you're in the main Hyrule overworld, wearing the same clothes as BotW with the same weapon as BotW fighting the same enemies as BotW while the same dragon soars overhead where you think - god damn this really just is DLC. Then there's other times when you're on sky islands or underground and you can see where all the work went and it's amazing.

Some people will love the ultrahand building puzzles, and see them as a more intricate and interesting version of the first games' shrines. Some will find them fiddly and frustrating.

Personally, I'm loving playing the game but I do wish they had gone in a different direction with it - I wanted a new map and some traditional dungeons, not a focus on more physics driven stuff with a ton of reused content.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
but fuck me if it isn't hard to find things to be excited for if you weren't a botw fanboy in the first place...
lol give me a break.

BOTW is the most beloved and celebrated game of the last 10 years. Mainline The Legend of Zelda games is the highest-rated video game franchise in history. There is a little more here than a few fanboys hyping things up.

It's more likely you are one of the few that didn't click with the exploration, which is fine, but don't pretend everyone else is wrong and a fanboy because of that.

GymWolf

lol give me a break.

BOTW is the most beloved and celebrated game of the last 10 years. Mainline The Legend of Zelda games is the highest-rated video game franchise in history. There is a little more here than a few fanboys hyping things up.

It's more likely you are one of the few that didn't click with the exploration, which is fine, but don't pretend everyone else is wrong and a fanboy because of that.
Lol cry some more, Imagine how much fucks i give about how much the media or nintendo fans inside forums liked the game when we have games with big ass flaws scoring 90+ on metacritic and selling gangbuster left and right.

Also don't put words in my mouth or learn how to read, i said that as a guy who didn't liked botw that much is hard to find reasons to be excited when many of the same flaws are all there, if you like divine beast dungeons or having all the cool stuff in the first 2 hours be my guest but don't tell what i'm supposed to like or not.

This is a forum, if you only want to read positive opinions you can go in the zelda subreddit, strangely enough the dude i was talking too had no problem with what i said, no need to be overly sensitive.

Last edited:

GymWolf

This is absolutely BotW 2, make no mistake.

If you didn't like BotW and wanted a return to traditional Zelda, I can't see this game changing your mind one bit. There are a lot of times when you're in the main Hyrule overworld, wearing the same clothes as BotW with the same weapon as BotW fighting the same enemies as BotW while the same dragon soars overhead where you think - god damn this really just is DLC. Then there's other times when you're on sky islands or underground and you can see where all the work went and it's amazing.

Some people will love the ultrahand building puzzles, and see them as a more intricate and interesting version of the first games' shrines. Some will find them fiddly and frustrating.

Personally, I'm loving playing the game but I do wish they had gone in a different direction with it - I wanted a new map and some traditional dungeons, not a focus on more physics driven stuff with a ton of reused content.
I liked botw concept and i was ok with a similar sequel, i was just hoping to see some of the thing i didn't liked fixed in the sequel.

If it can keep me slightly entartained for 40+ hours like the first one it's all good for me, i'm sure they at least fixed some flaws like shitty enemy variety and quality and shitty bosses (i hope)

Thanks dude, you have been helpful.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I don't mind the idea of the physics-based building shrine puzzles but not if they're all like that...I'd hope for more variety.

Bragr

Banned
Lol cry some more, Imagine how much fucks i give about how much the media or nintendo fans inside forums liked the game when we have games with big ass flaws scoring 90+ on metacritic and selling gangbuster left and right.
What games score over 90 with big flaws you say?

GymWolf

What games score over 90 with big flaws you say?
Rockstar games? Sony games? Fromsoft games? Nintendo games?

I give zero fucks about metacritic and you should do the same.

And if you read literally any discussion about zelda in here or every other forum you are gonna find that many people didn't liked many things about the game, it is not praised by everyone who bought it like you think, at a certain point you must stop and think that we are not all haters, i basically bought a switch after seeing botw trailers and for metroid prime 4 ffs.

Nintendo is getting my money again (i can post the receipt if you don't believe me), they already won buddy:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Mr Branding

After finishing Skyward Sword, I’m more than ready for BoTW 1.5! Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy traditional dungeons but if I had to choose between them and everything else Botw does right I’d choose the latter.
From what I’ve gathered on reddit and the trailers, this thing actually has unique bosses which is what I wanted the most. Also, enemy variety and a
whole new underground map to explore!
Not big on minecraft stuff or building stuff with my limited time but won’t mind it if the shrines are creative and not that much of a fuss!

GymWolf GymWolf Rockstar games deserve all the praise they get, mate. The games push the medium forward and feature an unparalleled level of detail which no dev can match.

Last edited:

GymWolf

After finishing Skyward Sword, I’m more than ready for BoTW 1.5! Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy traditional dungeons but if I had to choose between them and everything else Botw does right I’d choose the latter.
From what I’ve gathered on reddit and the trailers, this thing actually has unique bosses which is what I wanted the most. Also, enemy variety and a
whole new underground map to explore!
Not big on minecraft stuff or building stuff with my limited time but won’t mind it if the shrines are creative and not that much of a fuss!

GymWolf GymWolf Rockstar games deserve all the praise they get, mate. The games push the medium forward and feature an unparalleled level of detail which no dev can match.
Rdr2 was my goty with gow2018 so you can bet your ass that i loved the game, but it is not a 97, let's be real.

Gunplay is crap other then the visuals and animations and the mission design is straight up shit, let's not even talk about controls...

I'm an adult, i can love something and getting 10\10 level of entartainemt out of it while still noticing the glaring flaws and score the game properly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom