• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tears of the kingdom has leaked [Spoilers in this Thread]

H49pwvf.png
AreQlpT.png
vx5oxLG.png
SPOILER_p7pnrtu.png

MiguelItUp

I had no idea this happened until a friend of mine messaged me last night to tell me he played it for 5-7 hours until he decided to put it down. He loved Breath of the Wild quite a bit, but this just didn't click for him. He said it felt way too similar, and just felt super dated. I wonder how many other people will end up feeling the same way. I honestly figured if you loved BotW, then you'd love this. It just kinda of looked like more of the same with a few changes to me.

mcjmetroid

There are no FPS problems once you've installed the 30fps mod.

Some slight sound crackle isnt enough of an issue and will get fixed eventually. Yes it already plays better than on the Switch.
Are you not having the square shadow issue that like everyone on ryjinx seems to be having according to all the reddits I've seen? Apparently there's a large section with the textures on the floor missing.

Sorry but better resolution only goes so far with me.

mcjmetroid

I have also played on a cracked switch and therefore have the direct comparison.
Right now I´d take the emulated version over the pixelated slideshow the game is on switch any day. Aside from a slight audio crackle in cutscenes and a one time occurence where shaders seemed to bug out (also cutscene) I`ve had zero issues with Ryujinx so far (4 hours in), nothing that would make me give up 1440p + 60 fps for.
Maybe Nintendo will address this with a new firmware, or a day one patch...but that will then also apply to the emulated version
I´ll still probably drop the game for now and wait for more mods to come out as there`s bound to be a ton of QOL and graphical enhancements like we got them for BoTW.
Are ye guys not getting the square pixelation issue? I'd get over everything else but that was a deal breaker to me.

MiguelItUp

Sounds like your friend in fact did not love BotW and only liked it at best.
He actually adored it, played it multiple times. It's why I was genuinely shocked. Like most people it was the sole reason he bought a Switch. Just one of those different strokes situations I'm sure.

It as bad as Breath of the Wild or they got it right this time around?
Pal of mine said that it really just felt like more of the same, with not enough new to keep him feeling engaged and interested. That it felt "antiquated" compared to other modern games. Which was easy to accept with BotW because it was a new and different Zelda game at the time, but that the feeling doesn't stick here.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

Are ye guys not getting the square pixelation issue? I'd get over everything else but that was a deal breaker to me.
The fade out pixel effects for announcement windows look a bit "square-ish", as if the resolution was bugging out for that specific effect and that one time-shader-bug also left "square-ish" blocks, aside from that I don`t know what you could refer to.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
He actually adored it, played it multiple times. It's why I was genuinely shocked. Like most people it was the sole reason he bought a Switch. Just one of those different strokes situations I'm sure.

Pal of mine said that it really just felt like more of the same, with not enough new to keep him feeling engaged and interested. That it felt "antiquated" compared to other modern games. Which was easy to accept with BotW because it was a new and different Zelda game at the time, but that the feeling doesn't stick here.
Yeah.. was hoping for something different... my switch will remain eating dust unfortunately .. last nintendo system Ill ever buy thats for sure

Thaedolus

BotW on steroids is all I ever wanted. BTW my uncle that works at Nintendo said don’t forget to max the safe overclocks on Switch for better performance.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Regarding dungeons, the file names may say the dungeons are back, but I checked with the people who are playing it:

Yes, they are 100% back, real dungeons, with a boss and reward at the end.
You need to be more specific about the rewards.

It is a gadget that never break? A new skill like fuse or superhand? Or a skill with a long cooldown like the one you get by defeating the 4 beast in the prequel?

Last edited:

BlackTron

Man I'm really torn on how to play this game. I feel like it's better to commit to a save file with a game like this and I don't want too many technical problems.

Even though it's tempting to jump in now, seems obvious emulating it isn't there yet for a seamless experience. So you are better off waiting.

Leaning towards just waiting for my preorder and playing it direct on Switch on the 47" TV and just dealing with the framerate. Less bad than running into a serious issue 40 hours into your main save file....I want all the PC side issues to get found and sorted before committing and I don't want to wait anymore either lol

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
There is a mod to make it work on Yuzu. Performance, feeling and look are all far better than Ryujinx.
Playing 3x resolution and constant 60FPS, shader compilation is almost unnoticeable.

Here is the link: [Click me]

Edit: clouds are bugged

EKmrnb.png

Last edited:

HofT

I don't understand why people call it BOTW 1.5? Tears of the Kingdom is a full sequel to BOTW. It's BOTW 2.0.

The problem is the name. Calling it "Tears of the Kingdom" kinda give the impression that this is an entirely new Zelda experience, which it's not. It's a new Breath of the Wild experience. The sequel.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I don't understand why people call it BOTW 1.5? Tears of the Kingdom is a full sequel to BOTW. It's BOTW 2.0.

The problem is the name. Calling it "Tears of the Kingdom" kinda give the impression that this is an entirely new Zelda experience, which it's not. It's a new Breath of the Wild experience. The sequel.
Nah. People that hate Zelda and a portion of the divisive Zelda fanbase always do this and claim the previous entry was hot sauce and the new game is a cold shower in comparison. It's part of the cycle.

Forth

As much as I'm interested in purchasing a Switch to play this, the streams are all using emulators which make the game look so much better.
I'm worried the Switch performance and looks will kill it for me.

BlackTron

Given how much this game is taxing the Switch, I wondered if it would make any difference using a newer model. I found this old article that found the newer Mariko model to fare generally better in BOTW Korok forest than the launch model. https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2019-new-nintendo-switch-hac-001-01-review

They minimize the difference, but their graph paints a different story...given how people are comparing this game to Korok Forest I wonder if a newer Switch would help in a non-insignificant way. I don't think I'm motivated enough to buy a whole new Switch but I kind of feel like a peasant now...

Edit: I also just learned that around the time Metroid Dread came out, Nintendo started requiring journalists to use new Mariko/OLED models to review games. It's intriguing to me that they would bother doing this if there was "no difference".

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Pretty sure ToTK was built from the ground up for the Switch and not a PC and runs into issues during emulation. Comparisons when it actually releases would be interesting. Curious to know what plays better the original or PC emulation.

Kenpachii

Was to be expected got mine pre-ordered and will play on the switch, playing atm botw on the switch and i can tell you this, its a massive downgrade can't even hit 30 fps at a ton of times stable from emulating, oled looks janky as fuck in motion when framerates diving constantly. If this is worse uff.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Where do such takes come from in 2023 when emulation has been around for so long at this point?

As always:
On release the original hardware is usually much better.
A short while later when the emulators have fixed the issues with a specific game and you can put your superior hardware to work and the community gets started modding and upgrading the emulated version is leaps and bounds better.
For a game to run this well before it`s even released...well, that`s certainly an outlier and probably due to the extremely close technological relationship with BOTW.
Some people prefer to play games on the platform they were designed for. Much like how some people prefer natural bodybuilding over taking steroids.

Nothing wrong with Emulation IMO. There is a stigma against it though. Some of it valid other aspects not so much.

On the other hand to run good emulation on this game as well as others you need a high end PC. Or you can just play the game on Switch and not worry about spending a bunch of money on a great rig. No need to upgrade.

It's all preference.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Reading the leaks has got me more excited for the game but I am still not convinced about crafting. I don't want to have to craft silly looking boats/gliders or weapons.

I'm sure I will love TOTK but right now I keep thinking that if I don't then I can always go back to BOTW.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
I can never be as dumb as a pirate. I can literally jump out the fucking window with my head shoved up my ass and still be smarter than a pirate.

Nintendo spends 5 years, blessing us with a new Zelda game, and you download it on your fucking PC and sit in front of the monitor like a cuckold because you can't play the game on the Switch because it might lag a few frames. GTFO.

Seeing all the pirates in this thread, it's a goddamn zoo.

Agreed, although I find it more disappointing to see GAF Admins/Mods supporting piracy and turning a complete blind eye to people openly admitting and discussing pirating a game, what they're using to do it, how it runs and encouraging others do do likewise despite this being in direct violation of the ToS of the site.

As for the people pirating... they're the same ones who will bitch and bemoan the implementation of DRM and anti-piracy measures as "anti-consumer" and will try to take a "moral" stance against the evil corporations when they crack down on software pirates and ROM sites. They'll also be the ones bitching about the state of the industry and the need for better games while stealing from and undermining the very workers who they rely upon to "make better games". And yet, you just know that if they had worked several years on something and then saw people stealing it, they'd be screaming bloody murder and calling for tougher laws and protections. But they don't make anything and they spend their lives with their hands out expecting others to do right by them even when they don't do right by others. Parasites.

Agreed, although I find it more disappointing to see GAF Admins/Mods supporting piracy and turning a complete blind eye to people openly admitting and discussing pirating a game, what they're using to do it, how it runs and encouraging others do do likewise despite this being in direct violation of the ToS of the site.

As for the people pirating... they're the same ones who will bitch and bemoan the implementation of DRM and anti-piracy measures as "anti-consumer" and will try to take a "moral" stance against the evil corporations when they crack down on software pirates and ROM sites. They'll also be the ones bitching about the state of the industry and the need for better games while stealing from and undermining the very workers who they rely upon to "make better games". And yet, you just know that if they had worked several years on something and then saw people stealing it, they'd be screaming bloody murder and calling for tougher laws and protections. But they don't make anything and they spend their lives with their hands out expecting others to do right by them even when they don't do right by others. Parasites.

100% agree

Happy Simon Cowell GIF by America's Got Talent

Scotty W

Nintendo spends 5 years, blessing us with a new Zelda game, and you download it on your fucking PC and sit in front of the monitor like a cuckold because you can't play the game on the Switch because it might lag a few frames. GTFO.
I agree.

I visited Nintendo HQ in Kyoto a few years ago, and I was lucky enough to see Aonuma leaving work. He had the walk of a cheerful man, with a bounce in his step. How sad it is to see these vultures swoop in on a near decades worth of work and peck it apart.

Last edited:

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member

We are in no way condoning piracy - and have deleted several comments from this thread already, as well as handed out warnings. Just because you don't see our actions, doesn't mean we're not here.

That being said, we're not the thought police. The game has leaked online, and people are streaming it for others. Content is being put up on Youtube faster than the Nintendo Ninjas can take it down. There are technical discussions about emulation happening, which are allowed here as long as you don't link to the pirated content itself. When people are discussing the game, it's gameplay, or it's mechanics, we have no way of knowing if that's because they've personally pirated the game and are playing it or if they've been watching streams of the games and Youtube letsplays and reviews for the past week.

As always, if you see a comment that you think is out of line then please report it and it'll be investigated.

Bragr

Banned

Wow, that right there was one of my wishes for the game. Pitch-black caverns, deep underground. I heard people say the game got huge underground sections, it's just something radically different than the Overworld or BOTW and is gonna create interesting gameplay variations from the sky sections. So cool.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
We are in no way condoning piracy - and have deleted several comments from this thread already, as well as handed out warnings. Just because you don't see our actions, doesn't mean we're not here.

That being said, we're not the thought police. The game has leaked online, and people are streaming it for others. Content is being put up on Youtube faster than the Nintendo Ninjas can take it down. There are technical discussions about emulation happening, which are allowed here as long as you don't link to the pirated content itself. When people are discussing the game, it's gameplay, or it's mechanics, we have no way of knowing if that's because they've personally pirated the game and are playing it or if they've been watching streams of the games and Youtube letsplays and reviews for the past week.

As always, if you see a comment that you think is out of line then please report it and it'll be investigated.

You are condoning piracy in turning a blind eye to a thread and posts that by the site's own ToS are out of line and not permissable

There is no question that people are discussing their own use of a pirated ROM of the game. People are openly talking about how long they have played, the performance they're getting on various emulators, and of playing it on both PC and modded Switch systems. Hell, just 10 posts above yours there's someone gloating about playing the game and going off to boot it up. You can't get away with claiming you have no way of knowing when they're openly stating that they are playing it and there is no legal way for them to be doing that right now. Feigning ignorance and turning a blind eye like you're doing there is fully condoning piracy and enabling it.

The "might be legit" excuse doesn't hold up on a game that hasn't yet been released and for which there is no legal way to play. But this thread has such open Piracy talk that people are freely saying that they're playing it and you're trying to use the "might be legit" excuse to defend the site taking a very clear stance of turning a blind eye to piracy and supporting it through enabling this kind of discussion. C'mon, really?

Given how effective the mod team are in shutting down other prohibited topics such as political talk (which is fair enough and just cited as an example of proactive moderation in this instance), it only makes it all the more clear that when another supposedly prohibited subject like this gets a hand wave from the mods then it's because the site supports and condones that subject.. even if the ToS may state the contrary.

Last edited:
You are condoning piracy in turning a blind eye to a thread and posts that by the site's own ToS are out of line and not permissable

There is no question that people are discussing their own use of a pirated ROM of the game. People are openly talking about how long they have played, the performance they're getting on various emulators, and of playing it on both PC and modded Switch systems. Hell, just 10 posts above yours there's someone gloating about playing the game and going off to boot it up. You can't get away with claiming you have no way of knowing when they're openly stating that they are playing it and there is no legal way for them to be doing that right now. Feigning ignorance and turning a blind eye like you're doing there is fully condoning piracy and enabling it.

The "might be legit" excuse doesn't hold up on a game that hasn't yet been released and for which there is no legal way to play. But this thread has such open Piracy talk that people are freely saying that they're playing it and you're trying to use the "might be legit" excuse to defend the site taking a very clear stance of turning a blind eye to piracy and supporting it through enabling this kind of discussion. C'mon, really?

Given how effective the mod team are in shutting down other prohibited topics such as political talk (which is fair enough and just cited as an example of proactive moderation in this instance), it only makes it all the more clear that when another supposedly prohibited subject like this gets a hand wave from the mods then it's because the site supports and condones that subject.. even if the ToS may state the contrary.
Sucks Tim Robinson GIF by The Lonely Island

Top Bottom