• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |OT| How I killed your mother

Dereck

HfxslyF.gif

Smilebomb

Neo Member
So what are Nina's key moves to look out for/moves to learn how to punish? Because I just don't understand this character at all. It's a constant barrarge of low/high pokes and if I'm dumb enough to try and take my turn I get counter hit launched. If I just continue blocking all her high low shit will just slowly chip me down. Her pressure just never stops.

I figure I should try and keep it at a distance, but let her in once and I'm basically dead. Usually I would just go to training mode and figure shit out, but I'm not even sure what strings are killing me. She's just spasming around while I'm slowly dying.

GrayFoxPL

Twitch link pls

So what are Nina's key moves to look out for/moves to learn how to punish? Because I just don't understand this character at all. It's a constant barrarge of low/high pokes and if I'm dumb enough to try and take my turn I get counter hit launched. If I just continue blocking all her high low shit will just slowly chip me down. Her pressure just never stops.

I figure I should try and keep it at a distance, but let her in once and I'm basically dead. Usually I would just go to training mode and figure shit out, but I'm not even sure what strings are killing me. She's just spasming around while I'm slowly dying.

It's hard to tell because she has shitload of moves.

d+3,2 is the infamous low mid launcher, but it only launches on ch. It's -13 so punish it every time.

d+4,1 is common poke, cancellable to sidestep, but it's a low, high.

df+3,2 is another common mid, high poke that gets Nina in and from that she can go into crouchdash or sidestep. It's one of her best tools. Ideally you want to stay of it's rage by constant sidesteps or backdashing. Easier said then done.

uf+4,3,4 is another thing you must watch out it's high,low, high, so ducking kills it but it's a natural combo. Also last hit is cancellable to sidestep, but if you react right after blocking the low portion you should be able to punish her anyway.

df+3,4,3+4 and df+3,4,4 are the abusable high damage strings first ends with safe mid other with low. Generally you need to guess, especially online, because even if it starts as mid,high, it's very hard to react to.

Watch out for her f+3 it's a 2 hit kick that's very plus on block. Don't get fooled to pushing buttons after it. You can duck the second hit but needs specific timing and precision. Just escape by backdashing or sidestepping after blocking it because she gonna try something.

Watch out for her favorite throw uf+1+2 where she flips you over. They often use it after spamming df+1 or ss+1. Hurts at the wall like hell. Break is 1+2.

She has 3 dangerous sweeps that launch on ch. fc df+4, ss+4 and qcf+3(more like a slide) remember they are all launch punishable. Safest is ss+4 at -15, rest is half an hour punish window.

That's only a few out of like 50.

All that "spasming" comes from her cancellable strings when she sidestep into 1 and that leads to her crouch dash or back sway that can be cancelled and results in more spasm. She has multitude of options out of her sidestep, sways and crouch dashes it's too much for a short post.

You need to know that most of her strings are stuff like mid high, high high, high low, low high so theoretically crouch jab stops most of her options after first move. I say theoretically because more advanced players seeing your crouch jabs will bait them and low crush them with uf+1 it's like an orbital that launches.

Still, d+1 or other crouch jab is your best bet for now.

Better to abuse it against her and risk low crush than get sucked into her vortex and die trying to guess every follow up.

When you score that d+1 go to offensive right away. Nina has very weak punishes until you're -15.

General rule don't let her throw you into the vortex, use any means to break her rhythm. And you're right about keeping her at the distance.

Numb

You're welcome and don't worry all this stuff takes time to get used to. I still have to recognize shit Claudio is doing before I can have an idea how to beat him.

He does a hopkick followed by another hopkick
Don't let him mix you up with the 3rd hopkick he'll do

Numb

PcyX8fx.gif

I'm blocking the hopkicks, now I'm getting launched by magical dust hand sweep that leads to obscene damage.
It'll take some more to get used to the new guys
It's his running 2 burning knuckle or running 4 that gets me
Bless the punch ain't mid

GrayFoxPL

It'll take some more to get used to the new guys
It's his running 2 burning knuckle or running 4 that gets me
Bless the punch ain't mid

At the distance I know they'll do it I'm timing crouching into holding b. Either they go "Tyaaaa!" and I try ws punish or I block the hopkick in the last second. Running 4 will always hit, but I'll take it.

Unless some can do instant fff+2 from zero range, then it's over. Thankfully those monsters haven't visited me yet :p.

Numb

At the distance I know they'll do it I'm timing crouching into holding b. Either they go "Tyaaaa!" and I try ws punish or I block the hopkick in the last second. Running 4 will always hit, but I'll take it.

Unless some can do instant fff+2 from zero range, then it's over. Thankfully those monsters haven't visited me yet :p.
Thankfully online people aren't there

He has Anna's db3 but it doesn't lunch on normal like hers
Don't know why this irks me i don't even use him. Maybe it makes his strong hopkick stronger if he had a low launcher mixup too even if's slow

GrayFoxPL

Thankfully online people aren't there

He has Anna's db3 but it doesn't lunch on normal like hers
Don't know why this irks me i don't even use him. Maybe it makes his strong hopkick stronger if he had a low launcher mixup too even if's slow

Yeah, I don't know but he annoys me the most out of the new bunch. He constantly trolls with his finger pokes that only should only hurt the ego, not the life bar.

Numb

Yeah, I don't know but he annoys me the most out of the new bunch. He constantly trolls with his finger pokes that only should only hurt the ego, not the life bar.

Not while Chloe exists
She is annoying and does 200% more dmg than she seems she could.

GrayFoxPL

Not while Chloe exists
She is annoying and does 200% more dmg than she seems she could.

Once I figure out the block-sidestep timing on that california roll double foot launcher she wont be a problem, ever. The thing is I have a feeling she's gonna get buffed.

Numb

Once I figure out the block-sidestep timing on that california roll double foot launcher she wont be a problem, ever. The thing is I have a feeling she's gonna get buffed.
Buffed to look like the real LC perhaps

C0zeW.png

I'm surprised there's no mod of this

NEO0MJ

Well, I'm in a small local tournament. Someone throw me some good Akuma and Kazumi tips!

Edit: Damn, on every one of the 6 set ups there's a Kazuya player.

Numb

Hot Take: Lee isn't bad in the slightest and if you're playing for combo damage you're playing him wrong.
I'm not good enough for tiers to matter much so i prefer the cool characters i wanna play to have their flashy stuff be easy ''...''
#ScrubMentality

Raven would be a lot more fun if her f,f+3 f,f+3 did not miss so much. Also, why does qcf+2, 4,1.

So much of her stuff behaves funny if slightly off axis.

d/b+3 should not miss at point blank.

Z

ZelbZelb

Unconfirmed Member
Hot Take: Lee isn't bad in the slightest and if you're playing for combo damage you're playing him wrong.

It's not really the damage that gets me so much as his combos are pretty inconsistent, especially if you're a little off axis. b2F~N will whiff or make the rest of the combo whiff. I'm not even talking about those crazy multi-b2, multi-sway insanity combos. I usually keep to simpler stuff, but even then in the back of my mind I half expect the combo to drop.

Something like side-step u/f+4 needs a whole other combo and it's hard to tell on the fly.
Block Drag's b214 and hop knee the sweep and it shoots Drag sideways so it's almost impossible to combo. It's weird. I've been trying to fit in acid storm more since that forces the opponent to re-align.

WS23 is another one that stinks. I guess players should treat it like a lesser punish, and leave the added ff+3 to ballers as its crazy to pull off in clutch situations. I even see Japanese players just do WS23 and go for oki instead.

I've noticed that in general I'm going for less launchers and just trying to force as many 50/50s as possible. Do 'lesser' combos (even though they end up doing 58-60 in open field) into oki that can lead to a 50/50. I noticed I do f+3+4 a LOT more often than in TTT2. Largely because dashing in and doing it while they get up with back has to be blocked.

His pokes feel like they have less range too?

I guess the grumbling comes from people expecting Lee to be made way more 'solid' since tailspin gives everyone wall carry and okizeme changed.

EDIT: I'm still having fun with him, it's just a tad bit stressful, lol.

Top Bottom